Showdown
“He wanted a bride, I was making my own name” - Midnight Rain.
Ajabdeh woke up to a constantly vibrating phone as she sat up on her bed, a little disoriented. The sunlight was peeping through the drawn curtains as she yawned, and her attention shifted to the constantly vibrating phone. There were missed calls from several unknown numbers from Media agencies, messages from friends and family, her cousin's group buzzing constantly and thirty-five unread messages from Shakti. Even Jalal and Rukaiya had called her within minutes of each other. She was unable to understand what was wrong. She eyed the clock. Was it not a Sunday, and she was late for work? She shook her head and opened Shakti’s messages. The first one was a link, the second was about his father being furious, the third was that he had no idea where Pratap was since morning and asking if she was with him and then a string of long emotional messages letting her know what a terrible friend she was. Ajabdeh inhaled as she clicked on the link, and the article with its hazy pictures popped up. Ajabdeh gasped at the article. She immediately dialled Pratap. His call went straight to voicemail.
“Where are you?” Ajabdeh retorted at the beep before disconnecting the call. She got out of bed and started pacing the room nervously, biting her well-done nails. Who could she call? How could she face her parents? They would be furious. This is exactly what she was scared of. The timing was so perfect, right after her firm decision in the company. She shook her head and tied her hair up. Was it possible to hide in the room all day? Ajabdeh groaned. Jalal called again, this time on FaceTime, and Ajabdeh had no heart to hear his “I told you so”. What could she do now? Why was she alone facing this? Where was Pratap when she needed him? A loud bang on her door jolted her.
“Jija?” Heer could be heard on the other side. “Come out.”
“Go away.” Ajabdeh knew Shakti had told her that Ajabdeh read his messages and did not reply. Hence the knocking. She wondered how she could face her mother and Ranima.
“It’s Bade Papa. He wants to see you in his home office right now.” Heer sounded worried. “Papa said you must be present there at once.” She could hear Heer’s footsteps retreat as she inhaled. She needed to face the song alone.
Pratap had driven up to a friend’s flower shop early in the morning to handpick a thank-you bouquet for Heer. He could order the same online, but he preferred to do it in person. His phone had drained out of battery, and he plugged it into his car after picking up the flowers and switched it on. As soon as it came on, it started vibrating with messages. Pratap frowned. This was unusual on a Sunday morning. The first notification he opened was that of Ajabdeh. She had forwarded a link. Pratap frowned as he opened the link, and a picture popped up. His eyes widened. “Shit.” He tossed the bouquet on the passenger side seat and turned on the ignition. That was when his mother called.
Udai Singh looked up from his laptop screen at Ajabdeh, who walked in, in her loungewear, led into his home office by a servant. She waited for the servant to leave after Udai Singh asked him to bring some tea.
“I can explain.”
“Can you?” Udai Singh shook his head and looked away. “I trusted you to understand how important the Rathore alliance was.”
“I did. I tried. I was the one who…” Ajabdeh stopped to check her tone as Udai Singh stood up. He leaned on the desk, banging it slightly but enough to rattle Ajabdeh.
“I spent half the morning with the lawyers discussing how to remove the articles online. People are calling me from the media and social circles. Do you realise how embarrassing your impulsive decisions are for your father and me?” Ajabdeh inhaled.
“It’s not impulsive.” She murmured under her breath.
“Oh?” Udai Singh shook his head again. “I suppose it is real then?” His question remained unanswered. “ I was defending you like a fool to your father today. He always had his doubts and rightly so.” Ajabdeh looked up at his words.
“This has nothing to do with work. Let me explain.” Her words were firm.
“No, you will not explain some mambo jumbo standing here shamelessly.” Udai Singh shook his head. “It has everything to do with business. With the future of our partnership and the company. If you are naive enough to believe it doesn’t…”
“I can fix things.” Ajabdeh seemed adamant. “I will explain to you…”
“What are your duties as a CEO?” Udai Singh made her stop as she opened her mouth, but could not speak. “Does it not include thinking about the consequences of the worst-case scenario in case whatever you are up to behind our backs goes haywire? Or do you think the company can expand the way you envisioned it without alliances or help? Do you have any idea that you not only disappointed us but you broke my trust?” Udai Singh sank back on his chair once again. “I trusted you with my chair and the company. I trusted you to share my vision of the future and do the needful. I let you take him to the Rathore party. What a fool I was! Had I known your intentions…”
“No, Bade Papa.” Ajabdeh’s vision blurred as she choked slightly. “I did not have any intentions. I know you don’t believe me, but I did not want any of this, trust me. Nothing matters more to me than what you, Papa, and Dadosa have built in all these years. Nothing matters more than my position and…”
“Then prove it.” Udai Singh looked up at Ajabdeh’s confused face. “Prove that I did not make a mistake by trusting you.”
“How…” Ajabdeh mouthed the word unsurely under her measured breath. Udai Singh inhaled.
“I may sound like the worst parent here, but I know Pratap. I know Phool will be perfect for him and the business. You know that, too. You know how stubborn he is, and he will not be able to handle a relationship where he is not the boss and doesn’t have the last say. He will not be able to handle taking orders from you if you are emotionally involved. But if he is with Phool, she will run her own company, yet be a wife to him, and you can keep your position and work on your vision. He will have no problem following your orders. She will help you. There will be no conflict of interest. Things will be just how they are supposed to be. If you can’t do this, then give the position away and be with him. He can remain the MD that way. Or tell him to leave his position and move back to London; you can keep yours. I will happily tell Shakti to be the MD. But will he leave everything for you?” Udai Singh’s question sounded rhetorical. He knew that Ajabdeh knew that Pratap’s whole life was built around his position in the company. He would never want to go back to London and remain there just to be with her in the future. The distances would create issues anyway.
“Why will I leave my position for him?” Ajabdeh retorted. Udai Singh smiled like he expected her to, “Because it's only the one who has everything to lose who knows the true worth of their feelings.” He shook his head. “Either way, the choice is yours whether you want to remain CEO or be his partner. Remember that.” Before Ajabdeh could answer, he added, “I know at your age, mistakes happen. We are ready to forget about this little incident and move on. But for that, you need to prove that I can trust you again.” The servant came by with Udai Singh’s tea, and Ajabdeh turned on her heels and left.
Jaivanta watched from the balcony as Ajabdeh ran back home in tears. She sighed and wondered if there was any way to help the children hurt less. She was worried about Heer and Shakti facing this song, but never had she imagined there could be anything fruitful between her firstborn and Ajabdeh. She had called Pratap, despite her husband asking her not to.
“Hello?” He sounded unsure after two rings. Jaivanta was relieved at his voice.
“Come home. I want to talk to you.”
“I can explain…” He cleared his throat, “Ranima…”
“Because of you, Ajabdeh is facing everyone alone here.” She could hear him breathe in as Jaivanta continued. “I don’t expect you to be this less chivalrous.”
“I’m…” Jaivanta eyed the bedroom door as she interrupted and whispered, “Your father will leave in an hour. He is meeting a PR person for damage control. Come home. I really need to speak to you before you speak to Ajab. Do you understand?”
“I do.” Pratap sounded a bit relaxed at his mother’s words.
“Where is Pratap?” Udai sounded irked as Jaivanta turned to her husband. “I asked the servant to summon him, but he said he was not home yet.” He grunted inwardly, “Has he run away to London?” Jaivanta knew that was Udai’s anger speaking. She cleared her throat.
“I want to talk to him.” Udai looked up at her words a little sceptically. She always liked Ajabdeh like a daughter she never had. Could she be trusted with talking Pratap out of it?
“I know what is best for him.” She insisted as though she could read his mind. Udai nodded and walked away.
Ajabdeh walked home, trying hard to control her rapid breathing and fast-paced heart, wiping away her tears as she stopped at the sight of her parents. Her mother had red, puffy eyes, with a box of tissues on the side table as she sat on the couch, comforted by Heer, who looked a little scared and confused. Ramrakh was pacing the length of the living room on the carpet and stopped as Ajabdeh appeared at the threshold. She exchanged a glance with Heer. She knew what Heer was thinking. Although they never spoke of it, the parents knew about Shakti and Heer’s growing closeness, but they never behaved in the way they did about Ajabdeh and Pratap.
Honestly, when Shakti called her, Heer’s first reaction was confused, but then elated. Although her bond with Ajabdeh was never about discussing their love lives, she knew how close Ajabdeh was to Shakti and how much she had once been heartbroken over Pratap. If they were together, Heer was reassured that she would not separate from her sister even if they were married. Something about having her around, to protect her, was always reassuring for Heer. Yet, she could understand why Shakti was upset about being kept in the dark, especially when he realised Jalal and Rukaiya knew. She could understand the ranting her father went on about the future of the company if these two broke up, yet somewhere, she could not understand why they did not see a brighter side. The company would remain a Sisodiya-Punwar partnership forever if they worked out, just the way their grandparents wanted.
Heer cleared her throat, making her mother look up at her firstborn’s dishevelled look. Ram Rakh inhaled.
“So, Madam CEO? Is this what you understood when we said there is a lot at stake?” He grunted.
“It’s not what you think.” Ajabdeh retorted. “Will you let me explain?” Ram Rakh threw the newspaper rolled up in his hand at her and jolted Ajabdeh as it almost hit her face, “What do you want to explain? Cook up a lie? The picture speaks a thousand words.”
“It does not.” Ajabdeh shook her head. “We were out on the highway to buy something to thank Heer for the party.”
“In the middle of the night?” Her mother rebuked, “Holding hands?” She sniffed.
“I don’t know what Udai told you. I will NOT allow this in my house!” Ram Rakh shook his head as his voice grew louder. “You will not ruin my life’s hard work and this family’s…”
“Excuse me?” Ajabdeh retorted with a frown. “This is my personal life, and if you think I will let anyone or anything come in between me and my duties as CEO, you are wrong.”
“Is that so? Then what are you doing with him?” Ram Rakh sounded irked. “You know how much we would have benefitted from the Rathore alliance.” Ajabdeh looked up at her father’s words. She suddenly remembered him not reacting as much to her idea of not getting married once she becomes the CEO. She remembered all the times he wished he had a son. A son would bring an alliance. A son would be a perfect CEO. Her jaws tightened as her eyes sparkled.
“I am going to fix this. You need to trust me.”
“Trust you?” Hansa shook her head. “ After what you have done, I am sure they would want to replace you.” Ajabdeh protested, “Who will replace me?”
“Do you realise…” Ram Rakh stepped up to her, making her look up at her father’s worried face, “That Udai can use this against us?” For the first time, Ajabdeh had seen her father talk in that tone about Bade Papa. She frowned. “What do you mean?” Her throat was dry.
“I mean, if he tells me to hand over the CEO position temporarily back to him because you are not compatible, I have to do that. Heer is not ready.” Ram Rakh shook his head. “If the entire control goes to them, we will be nothing but shareholders and board members who have no power to control the company.” Ajabdeh’s heart skipped a beat. Her mind was shrouded in a sudden doubt. “Could it be possible that he knew about it and let Pratap string you?” Ram Rakh’s words made Ajabdeh gasp.
“What are you saying, Papa?” She shook her head. “Bade Papa trained me himself.”
“Yet I know how much he did not want to leave his position to you. You don’t know him the way I do.” Ram Rakh sounded unsure as ripples formed on his forehead.
“I promise you, I will represent the Punwars to the best of my abilities. I will not let anything…”
Ram Rakh shook his head. “You know, Heer is not ready. I don’t want you to get hurt either. I know I sound like the company is all I care about, but I know Udai. He will never let Pratap choose anything less than a perfect alliance for the company.” Ajabdeh knew her father wished her well. She nodded in silence. Ram Rakh walked away as Heer helped Hansa up the stairs to the bedroom. Ajabdeh sat down on the couch and breathed out. Could it be that Pratap was playing her for control of the company? Could she have been such a fool? Or was everything he said and meant true? If it was, why was he missing when she needed him the most?
Pratap knocked on his mother’s bedroom door as she asked him to come in. He peeped in unsurely before realising she was alone and walked up to the windowsill where she sat in a chair beside, knitting. He leaned on it briefly as his mother eyed his tired face.
“Have you not slept at all?” She sounded displeased.
“I went to…” Pratap shook his head. “Never mind, tell me what happened?”
“You tell me, Pratap. All your life, I have been in the loop about your personal life. But I am shocked at what I saw today.” Pratap narrowed his brows at his mother’s choice of words. She was calm, yet her voice had a hint of disappointment that was missing when he had introduced her to Samaira.
“I thought you would be happy.” He said plainly. “You like her.”
“I do. She is the daughter I wish I had.” Jaivanta looked up from the knitting at him. “But you know the stakes here.”
“I do. This was not on a whim.” He sounded firm.
“Then why have I not noticed that neither of you shares even pleasantries except for work? How does it work? Explain to me. The last time I remember, neither of you could stand each other.” Jaivanta shook her head. “Your personal choices have always been poles apart.” Pratap knelt on the carpet in front of his mother as she stopped. He smiled faintly as he held her hand in his. “What is it that you want to say?” He asked, “Don’t talk in riddles.” Jaivanta inhaled.
“She was with Jalal for a long time. It ended barely a month ago. When did you…” She stopped to inhale. “Are you sure she is serious?” Pratap nodded at her words.
“Yes, I am.”
“Serious enough to know the stakes here if you break up?” Jaivanta sounded unsure.
“Why do all of you talk like this?” He sounded a little offended. “Why will we break up?”
“So that thought did come from Ajabdeh?” Jaivanta enquired. Her firstborn did not answer. “You both are very stubborn, but she seems to have more practical sense than you in this matter.”
“No, she doesn’t. If she did, she would know my intentions are not negotiable. I would offer her the ring if she…” Pratap stopped. Jaivanta straightened herself and placed her hand on his head, asking. “Would she say yes if you asked her to marry you?”
“She would. Maybe not now. Not at this very moment when she wants to prove herself as CEO. But eventually, someday. I am sure of it.” Jaivanta smiled faintly, watching her firstborn blush a little.
“Then you should have been here when she needed you. You should have said these things to your father and hers.”
“I did not know, Ranima. My phone died,” he stopped a little, wondering. “I also assumed she knows this, even if we haven’t discussed marriage, and I assumed she would tell the same.” Jaivanta shook her head at her firstborn’s naivety.
“You need to tell these things. Marriage intentions can never be implied, Pratap. She is having a hard time. Go, talk to her.” Pratap smiled faintly as he hugged his mother.
“You are the best mom in the world.”
“I know that.” Jaivanta smiled. “ Talk to her, then I will talk to Hansa. I am sure if I can convince her that it's good for the future, we can together convince your Dad and Chote Papa. Okay?” Pratap smiled at his mother’s reassuring words. He did not say it, but her blessings meant a lot to him and Ajabdeh and their uncertain future. He needed to find her, meet her somewhere away from all of it and have a conversation.
.png)
