Professional Dilemmas

 'Cause I’m a real tough kid, I can handle my Shit. - I can do it with a broken heart.


“Why am I here?” Ajabdeh asked, scrutinising the library room where Pratap had texted her to be at, early in the morning.

“Have you not taken care of my library?” Pratap asked with a frown on his face, dusting the cover of a hardbound book from the rack. Ajabdeh shook her head, “I did not know I was assigned that job.” She watched him glare with a hopeless nod as he took some books out of the rack. “Come and help me?”

“Seriously, what is happening?” Ajabdeh scrutinised him as he smiled faintly. “I thought we should begin from the beginning.” Pratap placed a hard-bound book on the desk, the leather jacket of which had the golden letters, “Layli Majnun”. Ajabdeh smiled faintly, “Is it necessary to… umm… go back there?” She asked with a hint of doubt. “We did not really get along back then, did we?” Pratap shook his head at her words. “You see, that is the point. We became friends here. I want to start where we left off.” Ajabdeh looked amused as he frowned.

“Oh, really?” She raised her brows in a playful jest. “I thought what happened in Jodhpur was the beginning…” She appeared to be thinking, “Or was it Sarangpura?” Pratap watched her teasing as a smile appeared on the edge of his lips. “Or was it on the roof?” Ajabdeh stopped and shook her head as she picked up some books to help him.


“You are the worst.” She was going through some books as she commented. Pratap frowned, putting his hand over the books she had just placed. “What? What did I do?”

“You and your confusion deprived me of a story.” She shook her head.

“A story?” He looked confused. Ajabdeh nodded. “Yes, everyone has a story. One, they tell their grandkids.” She stopped as he laughed, amused.

“What is this? How I Met Your Mother?” Ajabdeh looked annoyed as she shook her head “Here, help yourself.”

“Wait…” He held her back by her hand as she struggled to free herself. Pratap looked amused. “I’m sorry.”

“Let me go.” Ajabdeh shook her head. “I command you.” Pratap laughed again, dragging her by her hand closer to him as he held her waist. “We are not at work, Madam. Here, I am the boss.”

“You wish.” Ajabdeh turned his face away from her with a playful push on his cheek as he drew her closer. “Try me.”

“I don’t want to. Let me go.” She wiggled. Pratap looked amused as she stopped, defeated.

“I was wondering if we could start reading on Sunday afternoons.” He suggested, “Like before…”

“Will you not be tired of meeting me all through the week at the office now that you want to see me on Sundays too?” Ajabdeh shook her head.

“I want to see you as much as I can to make up for the time lost.” He kissed her nose as she shook her head.

“Pratap.” She let him kiss her cheek as she pushed him. “Listen to me.”

“Hmm…”

“I was thinking…Maybe you were right…” He stopped, a little alarmed, not believing the words came from her mouth. “ Should we not tell our parents?” Pratap stopped as she continued, and he loosened his grip on her waist. “Before they heard from … elsewhere?”

“Who will tell them?” He asked. Ajabdeh was lost for words. He shook his head. “Stop overthinking, Punwar.” Ajabdeh stared at him, as he seemed amused. For a second, she remembered how Jalal understood her concerns without explaining. “Ajabdeh, call me Ajabdeh.” There was something different in her tone as Pratap tilted his head and observed her.

“Did I offend you or something?” Pratap watched her shake her head. “Fine, let Jalal and Rukaiya get engaged, then we will declare to the world. Don’t want to take the spotlight off them.”

“To the world?” Ajabdeh looked unsure.

“Of course, I would want the world to know you are mine.” Pratap held her hands in his, “Only mine.”

“Nah, you are better to fight with. I can’t handle this.” She shook her head at his cheesiness. Pratap laughed at her awkward face before kissing her. Ajabdeh’s hand travelled to his shoulder as she placed the books down gently to grab his collar and lean in for a deeper embrace.


The first time Ajabdeh came home, Rukaiya was scared that things would be awkward between them. But one hug from Ajabdeh reassured her otherwise. Ajabdeh had everything planned out: her attire for the engagement, the accessories to go with it, which Mehendi artist to hire, and which venue to book. Rukaiya watched her enthusiastically go through her list and gathered her strength to ask the question she meant to ask. “Are you really dating Pratap?” The awkwardness on her face was inevitable. “I… Gosh, dating sounds so…”

“Ajab…” Rukaiya made her stop as she inhaled. “Yes.” She sounded unsure and embarrassed as Rukaiya smiled. “Jalal told me.”

“He… called when I was with…” Ajabdeh fumbled, Rukaiya nodded, “I know.”

“Are you happy, Ruks?” Ajabdeh made her smile. “You know this is temporary. I mean…” Ajabdeh held her hand and made her stop. “It doesn’t have to be if you want it.”

“I don’t know what I want.” Rukaiya shook her head. “Anyway, what was it you wanted to talk about?”

“Remember that deal with the Mishras?” She reminded Rukaiya, who nodded. “I have another offer which I want to work on alongside that. To expand the business into more … umm… areas…”

“And?” Rukaiya nodded.

“I am not sure if Papa, Bade Papa or… Pratap would agree…” She looked unsure. “They are traditionalists and their ideas of business expansion are different from mine.”

“I am sure, but at the end of the day, you are the CEO. They expect you to make the final decision, don’t they?” Rukaiya suggested keenly.

“Yes, but they also love to interfere.” Ajabdeh smiled.

“Ajabdeh, in these few months, what I have learnt from the job is that sometimes you have to put your foot down and decide on something you truly believe in. That will separate you from the rest.” Rukaiya sounded confident.

“What if it backfires?” She seemed sceptical.

“What if it doesn’t?” Rukaiya shook her head. “Every leader has their identity, you have yours to tell you apart. Maybe your vision is what they need.” Ajabdeh did not look so sure of Rukaiya’s words. “Trust your gut, what does it tell you?”

“It tells me the moment I try to do what I want, I will be strongly opposed.” Ajabdeh shrugged. Rukaiya smiled. “It will not be the first time in your life, then.”


Ajabdeh contemplated Rukaiya's words as she drove back home. She had a meeting with the board in two days. Perhaps Rukaiya was right about trusting her perspective. She needed to bring changes she thought were needed with the time to help their business, even if the fathers opposed. She was sure Pratap would understand her perspective.


Popular posts from this blog

Potential Matches

Begum Sahib: An Introduction and chronology

Will We Make It?

Copyright Disclaimer

© Suranya Sengupta Raabta (2013-2026) All Rights Reserved. All original content on this website Raabta including writings, stories, poetry, historical fiction, articles, and other intellectual property (collectively, "Content") is the exclusive property of Suranya Sengupta and protected under the Indian Copyright Act, 1957, as amended, and applicable international copyright conventions, including the Berne Convention.Personal, non-commercial viewing and reading for private use is permitted. Without prior express written consent from the copyright holder, the following uses are strictly prohibited: (i) reproduction, distribution, adaptation, or creation of derivative works from the Content; (ii) scraping, data mining, crawling, or automated extraction; (iii) use of Content to train, fine-tune, or develop artificial intelligence models, machine learning algorithms, large language models (LLMs), or any generative AI technologies; and (iv) any commercial exploitation whatsoever.Unauthorized use constitutes copyright infringement and may result in civil and criminal penalties, including but not limited to demands for statutory damages, actual damages, profits, and injunctive relief. For licensing inquiries or permissions, contact the author Last updated: February 4, 2026.