The Last Straw

“I would stay forever if you say Don’t go.” - Say Don’t Go.


“I heard you seem to have quite some jamming sessions,” Pratap said as Jalal slurped at his drink and nodded. They were at a city pub for a friend’s bachelor’s party and caught a corner seat to catch up.

“You are welcome to join.” Jalal shrugged as Pratap shook his head. “We are trying something new where we stay out of each other’s spaces.”

“Is that working?” Jalal asked as Pratap narrowed his brows.

“Why? Did she say it wasn’t?” He asked suspiciously.

“She doesn’t really… talk about you two…” Jalal lied with a shrug. “It’s personal, right?”

“Yeah, well…” Pratap sighed. “She accused me of enabling Dad against her. Like it’s some kind of vendetta over work…” He shrugged. “So, you tell me if we are fine?”

“Are you regretting… you know…” Jalal asked as Pratap shook his head.

“You wish… but no.” Jalal frowned at his choice of words.

“Excuse me?” Jalal emphasised. “What do you mean, you wish?”

“Oh, nothing. It was a joke.” Pratap brushed it off.

“No, it was not. You meant it.” Jalal looked displeased. “What did you mean?”

“Fine. I am not comfortable with you two hanging out, given your past.” Pratap made him gasp. “Whoa. Aren’t you the same guy lying to your wife about meeting your ex? I supported you when she complained.” Jalal looked miffed as he stood up.

“I thought she did not talk to you about us.” Pratap taunted.

“Unbelievable.” Jalal shook his head as he looked angry. “I am happy in my world, unlike you, Pratap. And if I were you, I would be concerned for her mental health.”

“Did I ask for your advice…” Pratap watched him walk away as he finished his drink and sighed. He knew Rukaiya was there for most of their Jamming sessions, and even Shakti occasionally joined them. He had seen a story on his brother’s Instagram of all of them in Jalal’s garage, and honestly, he felt left out. In that feeling of not having anyone to talk to, he had dialled up Samaira, who had advised him to speak to Ajabdeh about feeling lonely. When he tried, Ajabdeh was right out of a meeting where yet again one of her ideas was shot down by Udai, and she was miffed. When Pratap tried to reason, she accused him of supporting his father in sabotaging her career because they wanted a wife for him, and that led to more arguments.


Pratap found it easier to tiptoe around Ajabdeh for most of the day outside work. She appeared to be frustrated. Worse, something told him she was aware of him reconnecting with Samaira yet again. Pratap reminded himself to stay aloof from Jalal and Ajabdeh’s equation, even when he noticed her returning home with a smile on her face after each jamming session. It hurt him, for he was reminded that she barely smiled at him anymore since they got together against the wishes of the family. Shakti had more than once warned him about Udai’s idea of not approving their relationship, and Pratap always shrugged it off as if it didn’t matter.


It was a rainy Wednesday afternoon. Pratap suddenly got a call from his personal secretary that the man’s father was hospitalised, and he wanted to visit the hospital as a courtesy, perhaps to use his connections for better treatment. He walked out of his chamber as soon as he got the news without giving anyone a heads-up. Ajabdeh wanted his quarterly report on her desk by afternoon, and when he was not there till lunch, Ajabdeh walked into his chamber to find it empty. She was furious. It looked like he had not even logged into his computer. She was supposed to leave early to shop for Rukaiya’s wedding dress like she promised, but she was so angry she feared she would act irrationally unless someone spoke to her. She dialled Rukaiya, who was unavailable, and was told Jalal was in town. Jalal was ready to meet her immediately.

Pratap arrived back at the office, aware of his deadline to submit the report, when he knocked on her door and found it empty. She had no meetings, and Shakti informed him she might be shopping with Rukaiya for her wedding. Pratap decided he should go home with the report and give it to her in the evening. The rain and traffic irked him some more, delaying his return.


Udai Singh took the envelope from the Private Investigator, paying him in cash. His wife and Hansa were at a temple, and Ram was at a charity event, so he found it safe to call the PI home. Ever since he had overheard Shakti and Pratap talk of the need for space, Ajabdeh had talked about, he inferred that his firstborn was a weak man. He was suffering and did not have the guts to call out his wife or end the relationship. The only way he could act as a catalyst was if his suspicions were proven right. That Ajabdeh was actually cheating on him. Legally, it would imply an annulment or divorce without her getting much from it. He had heard about arguments where Ajabdeh had accused Pratap of cheating on her, something that, if proven, could harm the Sisodiya share of the business. He wanted a backup in case he needed it to cushion his son’s assets. He opened the envelope as the man left with narrowed eyes. There were pictures taken in coffee shops, shopping malls, and parking spaces. Ajabdeh smiled, playfully touching Jalal’s arm, hugging him. Pictures that would look otherwise, although the PI specifically told Udai it did not seem so. Pictures spoke a thousand words. They did not need an explanation to cause doubt.


Pratap walked in as his father jolted and hid the envelope behind him. 

“You are back?” Udai cleared his throat. “So soon?”

“Yes, I…" Pratap frowned at his father’s pale face. “What is that in your hand?”

“Oh, nothing that concerns you.” Udai cleared his throat again as he looked away. “Where is Shakti?” Pratap walked up to him and took the envelope. Udai did not resist. As soon as he opened the package, colour flushed from his face.

“When was this?” He asked as Udai observed him for a reaction. “I asked, 'When was this?” His jaw tightened. 

“Today?” Udai stared at his son, looking miffed.

“She lied.” He murmured under his breath. “That’s it. I have had enough.” He dropped the pictures on the coffee table and walked out towards the Punwar House.


Jaivanta and Hansa were just back from the temple when they watched Pratap barge in and walk upstairs to her room. 

“Where are you going?” Jaivanta frowned.

“Ajab is not home.” Hansa shook her head. Pratap stopped in the middle of the staircase and turned.

“Where is she?” He asked in a calm voice. Hansa wondered.

“She was supposed to go with Rukaiya.” Pratap dialled Rukaiya. This was probably the first time in his life that he had called her.

“Hello?” Rukaiya’s heart skipped a beat when she saw the call from Pratap. As someone who had once gone over the edge, she could identify the signs of anxiety and depression in Ajabdeh, who refused to attend therapy with her. She feared the worst.

“Is Ajab with you?” Rukaiya’s heart stopped pounding at his question.

“What… I….”

“She was supposed to go shopping with you, wasn’t she?” He sounded urgent. Rukaiya licked her lip.

“Yes, and… I am caught up in a meeting, but she…” He disconnected the call. Rukaiya immediately dialled Jalal.

“Where are you?” Her voice made Jalal frown. “On my way home.” He eyed the clock. “Why? Do you want me to pick you up?”

“No. Ajab is not home yet.” She cleared her throat. Jalal shrugged. “She will be soon; it's raining, and there's evening traffic.”

“Something is wrong, Jalal.” She sounded unsure. “Something is terribly wrong.”

“Do you want me to go there?” Jalal asked. Rukaiya shook her head. “No, I will go visit her in the morning. You drive home safely.” She sighed.


Ajabdeh walked into her house to see the entire family waiting for her. Frowning slightly, she checked her watch. It was around 9 PM. 

“What’s going on?” She dropped her bag as Pratap walked up to her; his pace slowed down only when Jaivanta grabbed his arm.

“Where were you?”

“Excuse me?” Ajabdeh looked startled at his aggressive tone.

“I asked where you were.”

“I was out with my friends. Last time I checked, I was an adult, and I did not need to be interrogated.” Her jaw tightened as he inhaled. 

“You have been lying to me again and again.” He raised his finger as Ajabdeh eyed it and him.

“Really?” She shrugged. “You want to do this in front of everyone?”

“Yes, he does.” Udai intervened. “And he has reasons to.” He dropped the pictures on the coffee table, and Ajabdeh eyed them.

“So you spied on me with my friends?” She shook her head. “I expect nothing more from you.”

“Do not talk to my father in that tone.” Pratap snapped.

“Or else?” Ajabdeh turned to him. “None of you has any right to lecture me. Okay? Did he let his PI take pictures of you and Samaira?”

Jaivanta gasped as Pratap eyed Ajabdeh. “I don’t expect you to understand because you are a liar yourself. All this time, I thought I was hurting you when in reality you acted out of your own guilt.”

“Aren’t you ashamed of yourself?” Pratap looked away as she eyed him. “Ashamed of pointing your finger at your wife and your best friend because of some staged pictures?”

“Staged?” He eyed the pictures and her. “Did the PI make you meet him or hug him?”

“I hug everyone goodbye. You know better than to judge that. You are questioning your best friend’s integrity…”

“Oh, shut up, he is not my best friend!”

“And I am not your wife?” Ajabdeh inhaled. “Is that it?”

“Ajabdeh.” Hansa intervened, “Both of you are angry, and I think you should take some time to calm down.” Jaivanta agreed.

“You don’t want to say things you don’t mean.”

“Oh, I mean them.” Pratap shrugged away his mother’s hand. “I mean everything.”

“So do I.” Ajabdeh’s jaw tightened. “This PI business was the last straw.” She turned to Udai. “Is this not what you wanted all along, Bade Papa? To be proved right?” Ram stepped up to his daughter as she walked towards Udai. 

“Enough. You are not going to speak like that.”

“Congratulations, you all won.” Ajabdeh threw her hands in the air, shaking her head.

“Oh, stop blaming the world and being dramatic over your own mistakes.” Pratap interfered. Ajabdeh glanced over her shoulder at him. “Mistake? My mistake? You are my biggest mistake.”

“Then end it.” Pratap shrugged. “End it once and for all.” Ajabdeh looked a little stunned, studying his expressionless face. He had no remorse or sadness, saying the words she dreaded.

“Pratap!” Jaivanta shook her head. “Calm down, I am sure you can talk it out.”

“There is nothing left to talk about.” Ajabdeh shook her head. “You clearly see he doesn’t want me around.”

“Nobody wants you around; they are just not brave enough to say it.”

“Dadabhai.” Shakti stepped up beside Ajabdeh as Heer looked up at him. “Enough.”

“What? You want to take her side? Go ahead.” Pratap shook his head. Ajabdeh stepped back and turned on her heels. “Ask the lawyers to arrange an annulment.” She walked up the stairs as Ram followed her.

“Stop.” Ram’s words made her stop before slamming her door. “I want you to hand in your resignation.”

“Excuse me?” Ajabdeh frowned. “Why will I…”

“I have seen and heard enough. You have insulted everyone and embarrassed me. You are not fit to be CEO.” Ajabdeh stared at her father in disbelief.

“You believe Udai Singh and his lying PI over your daughter?” She asked as her father looked away.

“I believe everyone can’t be wrong about you. If you are standing alone, you are wrong.” Ajabdeh inhaled, tightening her jaw in vain to stop her tears from flowing. “Fine. I will mail the resignation.” She was about to shut her door when Ram stopped her again. “And you will go to Sarangpura and stay there until the divorce is finalised and you can be married off.”

“Are you trying to get rid of me?” Her question was met with silence as she slammed the door in her father’s face. She heard him in the hallway. “This is still my house, and you can’t do whatever you want in my house.” Ajabdeh inhaled as she opened the mail and typed a resignation. Her eyes fell on her ring, and she removed it fast enough for her finger to turn red. She sat down on the floor, screaming into the pillow and feeling lightheaded. She could no longer sit, as she lay with her back on the rug and stared at the ceiling. Her phone had no battery, and after what felt like hours, she sat up. The voices downstairs had decreased. She stumbled to the washroom and splashed water on her face. Her father was right; as long as she stayed here, she had to do what others said. But what would she do? Where would she go? She had the education and experience; could she not find a job anywhere in the country? She calmed herself down and checked her bank balance. Her personal and salary accounts had enough to move somewhere away from all this. She could not imagine Pratap would create such a scene in front of everyone. He dared to humiliate her and question her character. Ajabdeh was angry again. She suddenly felt nauseated.


It was almost dawn when Ajabdeh finished packing her things. She tore a page from the pad with her letterhead on it and started writing a letter.

“ This is for all of you. From the day I took this job, none of you supported me or understood me. I made some decisions and was always in your line of fire for them. When I was not sure of the relationship, I was pressured into marriage because Pratap felt it was the right thing to do. I am done. I have had enough. I will not let any of you dictate my life and my future anymore. When you draw up a divorce contract, I want one of the conditions to be that neither of you, including my parents, will ever look for me or try to include me in their lives, and I will not use your money, name or contacts for my life. I have had enough. I feel suffocated. Now I want to lead my life on my own terms. I will not be a prisoner in Sarangpura for a crime I did not commit. I will not forgive or forget any of this. But I will not seek revenge. I will move on. Ajabdeh Punwar has died for you today. Don’t look for me. I want all communications to go through my lawyer only.” She opened her cupboard and took out the Kangan Jaivanta had given her. She placed the letter under it and left her ring on top before she walked out of the house in the darkness, before anyone woke up.


Ajabdeh walked to the bus stop in a hoodie with two trolleys and a backpack. She could never have imagined packing her entire life into bags while walking out of the Punwar House. She felt disgusted even carrying anything her parents or he gave her. So she took the clothes she was gifted by friends, ones she had bought for herself, her most practical pair of shoes, her certificates and documents and filled the bags. She had no energy left to feel anything. One glance over her shoulder at the houses, she stepped out and walked to the nearest bus stop. She stopped at the bank first to transfer her money to a newly opened separate account and remove her name from any association with the Punwar Sisodiya group or her parents, before she could breathe and now wondered where she would go. She could not meet anyone from her life, friends or acquaintances, because the family would know where she was. She could not go to the Mishras and jeopardise their trade relationship with the business. She could never step into Sarangpura or Delhi again. Her hand trembled on her phone as she wondered if she should call Rukaiya or Jalal. Their help would only reinforce what they accused her of. She shook her head. She could not let her friends be humiliated. She threw the phone on the kerb, and it broke. She stared at it for a while, picked it up and put it back in her pocket. She needed a new number. She closed her eyes to compose herself when the car screeched to a halt and made her look up. Rukaiya was in the driver's seat as she quickly undid her belt and sighed, watching Ajabdeh stare at her in disbelief as she walked up to her.

“How did you…”

“I was coming to see you. Then Shakti called... he said you left...” Rukaiya held her hands on her own. “Ajabdeh… what are you doing here?”

“I am leaving.” Ajabdeh shrugged as Rukaiya eyed the luggage.

“Where will you go?” Rukaiya asked, narrowing her brows. Ajabdeh cleared her throat to sound normal. “I will figure it out, don’t worry.”

“I can’t believe Pratap put you through this.” Rukaiya fumed. “I don’t expect him to trust Jalal, but you?” Ajabdeh shook her head.

“He was manipulated.” She seemed oddly calm.

“He is not a child, Ajab, nor are any of your family members.” Rukaiya snapped. “I have had my family at my lowest, and I can’t imagine what it's like being abandoned by them.”

“I will be fine. I am glad you came to meet me before I go.” Ajabdeh sniffed. “Just drop me at the railway station, and I will figure out where to go and what to do.” Rukaiya shook her head.

“Absolutely not. You are coming with me. Jalal and I are your friends, and we are not going to abandon you at the time you need us the most.” Rukaiya hugged her as Ajabdeh suddenly let out a sob. “Now come with me.” She held the end of Ajabdeh’s trolley and opened the trunk of her car as Ajabdeh stopped her hand. 

“I don’t want to stay at his place.” She sounded unsure.

Rukaiya shook her head. “I will never let you be disrespected. Trust me. But if you think I will let you go through this alone, you are wrong.” Rukaiya put the trolley in the trunk as she closed it and turned to Ajabdeh, gesturing at her to take the front seat.

“There is something else you should know.” Rukaiya looked up at her.

“I’m pregnant.” 

To be Continued… From 1st November, 2026 (Updates every day)




Popular posts from this blog

We Are Fine

Lies & Deception

Copyright Disclaimer

© Suranya Sengupta Raabta (2013-2026) All Rights Reserved. All original content on this website Raabta including writings, stories, poetry, historical fiction, articles, and other intellectual property (collectively, "Content") is the exclusive property of Suranya Sengupta and protected under the Indian Copyright Act, 1957, as amended, and applicable international copyright conventions, including the Berne Convention.Personal, non-commercial viewing and reading for private use is permitted. Without prior express written consent from the copyright holder, the following uses are strictly prohibited: (i) reproduction, distribution, adaptation, or creation of derivative works from the Content; (ii) scraping, data mining, crawling, or automated extraction; (iii) use of Content to train, fine-tune, or develop artificial intelligence models, machine learning algorithms, large language models (LLMs), or any generative AI technologies; and (iv) any commercial exploitation whatsoever.Unauthorized use constitutes copyright infringement and may result in civil and criminal penalties, including but not limited to demands for statutory damages, actual damages, profits, and injunctive relief. For licensing inquiries or permissions, contact the author Last updated: February 4, 2026.