Scandals of an Afterparty

“The stakes are high, the water’s rough, but this love is ours.” - Ours. 


It would be wrong to say Jalal did not think that his parents would bring up the elephant in the room when he got home for the weekend. What he did not expect was for them to be prepared with a date for the engagement. It would be an intimate ring exchange ceremony, following which Rukaiya could go to Agra for the weekends to set up the house. Jalal was surprised that they had also booked a venue without informing either of them, and as he helplessly eyed Rukaiya, he was concerned if all of it overwhelmed her. That night on the rooftop, Jalal finally asked the question that was bothering him. Rukaiya smiled faintly.

“Let’s get it done, and we can start thinking about how to delay the more important things.” Her voice was distant, devoid of emotion as she munched on the snacks he had brought from Agra and looked away. Jalal tried to lighten the mood with his worry for her.

“The way they are moving, we will be married before we realise what’s happening.” He chuckled a little and found no response from her. “I hope you are not overwhelmed.” He said at last, sounding concerned. 

“I think you should speak to Ajab once.” Her sudden words made him frown.

“About what?” He asked. Rukaiya turned to face him. “I don’t know. You have not met her since… the hospital.” She said hesitantly, “A lot has changed since then.” Jalal shrugged. “If she has something to share, she can always…”

“I feel she is uncomfortable in her position in the company.” Rukaiya confessed, “Unlike your Baba, both Ram Uncle and Udai Uncle don’t seem supportive of her decisions. I feel she is underconfident.” Jalal rubbished her concerns. “Pratap just told me how she went against everyone for a decision.”

“Yes, but that is Ajabdeh, the way we know her. Doesn’t mean she doesn’t have her doubts.” Rukaiya insisted. “She is not sharing with me because she doesn’t want me to worry, and Shakti seems oblivious to her issues.”

“So you think she will share with me?” Jalal raised his brows a little hesitantly. “You do know she has Pratap to share her worries with now.” Rukaiya eyed him at his choice of words. “Yes, and I also know every time they are together how it hurts her.” She said firmly.

“Maybe this time is different. Pratap doesn’t intentionally hurt her.” Jalal found himself sounding defensive. “Neither does Ajab, but do they not end up getting hurt?” Rukaiya frowned. “I am not blaming your friend, but if he tries to walk over my friend…”

“Whoa, Whoa.” Jalal shook his head dramatically, raising his hands to surrender. “What was that? Your friend and my friend? You know very well I care for them both, but sometimes they don’t communicate enough, and it's mostly because Ajab is stubborn.”

“Well, we have handled her stubbornness all these years; why can’t he? Because he is egoistic.” Rukaiya shook her head.

“You sound like you hate him.” Jalal sounded in awe. “You never hate anyone.” Rukaiya looked up at his words. “Maybe if you stop defending him…”

“Mohtarma, I am just saying my perspective. And it is to stay the hell out of their problems.” Jalal shrugged, “Trust me.”

“What if we fight like that?” Rukaiya sounded amused.

“Like what?” Jalal looked clueless. “Them?”

“No, like we were doing just now.” Rukaiya shrugged. “Perhaps it would convince the parents that we are not made for marriage with each other.”

“We aren’t fighting.” Jalal shrugged. “We never fight; they know that.”

Rukaiya sighed again, lost in thought.

“Relax, you want to get rid of me even before the engagement?” Jalal chuckled.

“How are you so chill about this?” Rukaiya frowned at him. Jalal shrugged. “Because I know whether we are engaged, not engaged, a ring wouldn’t change anything between us.” Jalal shrugged.

“So by that logic, neither will a marriage.” Rukaiya narrowed her brows. “Then marry me.” She said abruptly. Jalal tilted his head towards her, amused.

“Maybe I will.” A smile formed in the corner of his lip. “That would solve a lot of problems, won’t it?” Rukaiya found herself at a loss for words as her lips parted, and she could not speak. She stood up, shaking her head hopelessly at him before leaving him to his thoughts.


Heer Kanwar Punwar had inherited her mother’s art of hosting the most glamorous parties, as people rightfully complimented. The lawn in between the Sisodiya and Punwar residents was decorated for the party, and friends, families and acquaintances of both families gathered there to congratulate Ajabdeh on being the next CEO and Pratap for his role as MD. The paparazzi hovered outside the gates, clicking pictures of everyone who came out of and walked into the venue. Not long after being clicked, the same photos and videos were on social media, being judged by who was invited, who was not and what they were wearing. Every time the gates opened, one could hear flashes and clicks as the cameras lit up to capture the who’s who of Delhi’s elite circle. The party was no doubt a grand success. The music was picking up, and the drinks were pouring as people mingled. Ajabdeh adjusted her bodycon noodle-strapped cocktail dress as she breathed in and cursed the shape-wear that Heer forced her to wear to complement her curves. She was not even an hour into the party, and she was tired of the smiles and small talk. She knew in her mind that she had to get used to it all for her role now. She glanced over her shoulder, removing the wavy, highlighted hair blocking her view, tucking it behind her ears to show her mother’s diamond studs, as she noticed Pratap sharing pleasantries with a few business rivals. They used to be his classmates. Ajabdeh breathed in once again, grabbed a drink from the tray and looked around at the crowd. She needed some fresh air. She was contemplating leaving for a while, perhaps hiding herself in a room somewhere, when she felt a tap on her shoulder and turned to see Rukaiya with a bouquet of carnations, congratulating her. She hugged Rukaiya, relieved that she did not need to pretend anymore.

“I am so done with this.” She said under her breath, close to her ears as she hugged her. “I want to go somewhere quiet.”

“I get it.” Rukaiya smiled, amused at her sorry state. “All this is overwhelming.” She handed the flowers to Ajabdeh, who smiled and thanked her. “You know me so well.”

“I… Jalal is here too.” Rukaiya glanced over her shoulder, making Ajabdeh turn to spot Jalal with Pratap. “Oh. I thought he was… in Agra.” Rukaiya could sense some uneasiness in Ajabdeh’s voice.

“Oh. Yes, he was, until Heer insisted, and he said he won’t miss celebrating your success.” Rukaiya smiled, forcing Ajabdeh to smile back at her. “Talk to him.” She patted her hand as a gentle reminder and walked away to compliment Heer on the party and her dress.


Ajabdeh was unsure of whether to follow her when Jalal walked up to her, blocking her path and extending his hand to her. “Congratulations, Punwar.”

“Thank you.” Ajabdeh smiled as she shook his hand.

“Now you are doing what you always wanted to do, bossing people around,” he shrugged, making her shake her head a little, amused. “Stop that.”

“What?” Jalal smiled, “Am I not allowed to joke with you now?”

“It’s not that. You know how all of this is so overwhelming, and some peace could do.” Ajabdeh shrugged.

“It could indeed. Ruqs thinks we should talk and that I should be the one you hear from…” His words drowned in the sudden upbeat music as Ajabdeh’s attention was grabbed by her sibling, Shakti and the parents on the dance floor. She had no idea what Jalal was talking about as she caught him off guard by holding his hand and dragging him away from the music towards the flower beds.

Pratap smiled at Rukaiya, who walked up to him as the people he was talking to excused themselves for some dancing.

“Where is Jalal?” He asked as soon as she congratulated him.

“With Ajabdeh, somewhere.” Rukaiya shrugged as Pratap’s heart skipped a beat. Perhaps his confusion showed on his face, for Rukaiya added, “I wanted him to tell Ajabdeh about the engagement himself.” Pratap nodded at her words, quickly regaining his composure as he asked, “Right, is it soon?” Rukaiya nodded as he asked, “And you are fine with it?”

“Better than a stranger trying to judge me.” Rukaiya shrugged. “I have been offered the position of …”

“I have heard. Congratulations. For both.” Pratap nodded. 

“I thought Jalal should tell Ajabdeh, given their… umm… history?” Rukaiya spoke unsurely as Pratap grabbed a drink and nodded at her.

“Can I ask you something honestly?” He eyed her as he added, “Now that you will marry Jalal?” The seriousness in his voice was unmissed by Rukaiya, who wondered where he was going with it. “Are you okay with Jalal and Ajab being… umm… friends?” He asked as Rukaiya looked a little confused. “Are you not?” She asked instead. Pratap looked taken aback and looked away, sipping his drink. Rukaiya smiled, “Well. I am. Perhaps because I have no expectations or feelings where this relationship with Jalal is concerned. You are bothered, because you have both with Ajabdeh.” The calmness and wisdom with which she spoke were not missed by Pratap. “I wish I were as sorted as you.” He confessed truthfully.

“I think you would be more at peace if you accept that no matter what transpires, Jalal will always be friends with both of you, and so will I.” However, Rukaiya smiled politely at Pratap, who nodded at her words, saying he was grateful to have Jalal in his life. Rukaiya was deeply concerned with how Jalal’s equation with Ajabdeh bothered him. She made a mental note to share her perspective with Jalal.


Ajabdeh breathed out as they walked relatively away from the noise of the party near the back orchards. She sat down on the spiral stairs, not caring about her clothes, as Jalal put his hands in his pockets and waited for her to remove her high heels and stretch her feet. 

“I can finally breathe. God, I hate how Heer convinced me to wear the shapewear, and now I can’t breathe while standing up.” She shook her head. Jalal smiled faintly at her words and cleared his throat.

“How are… things?” He asked, arching his brows slightly as she shook her head and sighed. “It's messier than I imagined.”

“Umm… why?” He asked, unsure of what she was referring to.

“So I had to make this decision and… Bade Papa, Papa and Pratap were not quite on board with it, but my gut feelings said I should do it anyway.” She eyed Jalal, nodding slightly. “Then Rukaiya said I should trust my instinct as I am the boss here…” Jalal seemed a little surprised that she did. He nodded again. “Now I think they aren’t very happy about it.”

“Are you? Happy about it?” Jalal asked as she nodded. He shrugged. “Then what is the problem? You are not here to be liked and approved of by the board but to do the work that will benefit the company.”

“Exactly.” Ajabdeh’s eyes lit up as Jalal said what she hoped someone would. “Thank you!”

“And how’s… umm… other things?” He asked, unsurely.  Ajabdeh eyed Jalal, being uncomfortable as she smiled a little.

“You tell me, Rukaiya said you were meaning to tell me something?” She raised her brows, and Jalal nodded.

“Ah, yes. So I have to stay at least two more years in Agra. I am thinking of starting something to do with photography, like a studio or… maybe do independent photo shoots, get the word out in our circles, travel to places for it…” Ajabdeh nodded as he sounded excited, “But my mother doesn’t quite trust me alone since I never really stayed away.”

“That makes total sense. I mean, you aren’t the brightest when it comes to common sense.” Ajabdeh chuckled, making him narrow his eyes. “Excuse me?” He shook his head, “Anyway, it dawned on her that she should get me married or something…”

“She is worried about you.” Ajabdeh shrugged. “But how did she reach the conclusion that the girl was Rukaiya? I mean…”

“Honestly…” Jalal sat down on the stairs near Ajabdeh’s feet and exhaled. “I think they are bothered that she is in control of the business, and I am unbothered, and they don’t want to lose control of what they built. She had been getting a lot of good marriage offers since she joined, and they are worried whoever she marries would control our business.” Jalal shrugged. “They pretend it's an emotional decision after what… transpired. But I find it hard to believe.” He stopped briefly, waiting for Ajabdeh to take in the information and agree to him.

“But if she got so many offers, how is Sultanam Aunty okay with it being you?” Ajabdeh sounded amused. “No offence.”

“I don’t know what my mother said to convince her, or perhaps she was concerned, as Rukaiya was unbothered with the offers. She also knows Rukaiya is too tied up with our family to refuse this one.”

“Hmm, that makes sense, doesn’t it?” Ajabdeh nodded. 

“She told me you suggested temporarily doing away with the thing by agreeing to the engagement, which we also thought was a good plan…”

“But?” Ajabdeh watched Jalal clear his throat.

“But… It's moving too fast without our involvement. I mean, they have the venue and date ready without our consent…”

“Wow, when is it then?” Ajabdeh asked, a little wide-eyed. “I have to take Rukaiya shopping.” For a brief moment, she looked unserious as Jalal eyed her. “Next month.” Ajabdeh did not expect this so soon. 

“Okay… and?” Ajabdeh asked, “Is that what you are uncomfortable with?”

“What if we don’t get enough time to … fix stuff and they fix a date for the wedding?” He wondered. 

“Tell me something honestly, will that be so bad?” Ajabdeh shrugged. “You both care…”

“Punwar!” Jalal got up abruptly, facing her. “Did you dump me to throw this on Rukaiya or something?” Ajabdeh laughed. “I thought you dumped me.”

There was a sudden air of awkward silence as they stared at each other in the footlight around the pathways. 

“How is Pratap treating you?” Jalal sounded concerned. “I mean…”

“We are good. I mean, we haven’t killed each other yet, so…” Ajabdeh chuckled. “That’s there.”

“And when are you planning on telling everyone?” He asked. Ajabdeh sighed.

“Does it make sense if I honestly say that I want to wait and see if it works out? I mean…There is so much at stake here, and I am just trying so hard to prove myself at work…”

“It makes perfect sense. Did you tell him that?” Jalal asked.

“That’s the thing.” Ajabdeh shrugged. “He takes it personally.”

“I don’t blame him.” Jalal shrugged. “But I get you, too.”

“I don’t want to treat him with uncertainty, but with so much at stake and knowing how the idea will be opposed by parents, I just want to be sure…”

“And you have the right to be. You just started dating…” Jalal nodded.

“And you know what I honestly feel about your situation?” Ajabdeh’s question made him shake his head.

“I think you will make Rukaiya happy. She will support your dreams and respect you. It is absolutely fine if you feel like you want to go ahead with the marriage. Tell her that.” Ajabdeh’s words made Jalal look at her and open his mouth to protest. She shook her head. “I know you won’t accept that you feel like it deep down, and it’s fine. Just trust that I know you a little.” She smiled faintly.

“There is no denying that, is there?” Jalal nodded. “But it doesn’t matter if it's feasible. I think Rukaiya, too, needs time in her new job, and she wouldn’t want me.” He shrugged. Ajabdeh shook her head.

“Instead of making up your mind for both of you, why don’t you ask her that?” She suggested.

“I’m sure she will agree to whatever I say. This sense of gratefulness she has, I can’t really get her to…” Jalal shrugged. Ajabdeh smiled. “Perhaps the engagement will change that?” She suggested. Jalal shrugged. “She would come to Agra for a few days to set up the apartment because my mother will force her to.”

“Talk to her then. She deserves to be happy. You deserve to be happy. Whatever that happiness is for both of you.” Ajabdeh emphasised. She eyed the time on her phone and put her heels back on.

“We need to go back before people start looking for us.” Jalal nodded, giving her his hand to stand up and walk back to the party.


“I have been meaning to talk to you.” Rukaiya found Jalal after he had shared pleasantries with Jaivanta, and she had waited for him to be alone.

“What’s wrong?” He asked, observing her face. Rukaiya forced a smile. 

“Did you have a conversation with Ajabdeh?” She enquired as Jalal nodded. “Yes, that went well. I think…” He shrugged. “What’s wrong with you? You look bothered.”

“I was talking to Pratap.” Rukaiya shrugged as Jalal smiled faintly. “No wonder you are bothered.” He let out an amused chuckle as Rukaiya pushed his arm, shaking her head. “It’s not that. Stop being rude.”

“Ok, okay, tell me. What bothers you, Mohtarma?” Jalal folded his arms to his chest as Rukaiya cleared her throat, unsurely. “Umm… I think he is bothered about you and Ajabdeh.”

“Bothered?” Jalal frowned. “As in?”

“As in, your bond with her. You know, he perhaps feels you share things you don’t do with others and... maybe he is feeling left out.”

“Is he now?” Jalal frowned. “And he strategically shared that with you? Knowing it will reach me, eh?”

“Look, Jalal, I don’t understand your equation with Pratap. One day, you are brothers. The next day, you aren’t talking. I am not getting into that. But…” Rukaiya inhaled. “I am bothered because whatever he feels may upset his equation with Ajab. Telling her would cause a fight, so I am telling you.”

“If he thinks I am randomly going to stop caring for my friend, I will not.” Jalal shrugged. “He got together with her almost a month after we broke up, and I am sure she did not hide anything from him.” He inhaled. “If he has any other issue, he should talk to me, not you.” Jalal eyed Rukaiya, slightly irritated. “Unless it bothers you too.” He could tell from her widened eyes that Rukaiya was shocked at his sudden accusation. She breathed in and tightened her jaws.

“Ajab and you are the closest people I have in my life. So no, it doesn’t bother me. But it will if either of you is hurt by a misunderstanding. I can’t believe I have to explain this to you.” There was a hint of disappointment in her voice.

“I didn’t mean…” Jalal watched her walk away mid-sentence. He was bothered. Not by what Pratap thought or how Ajabdeh would react had he told her they could no longer be friends, so that her boyfriend wasn’t insecure, but because he had upset Rukaiya with the strangest accusation when all she wanted was to help. He needed to apologise to her before he went back to Agra. Because the next time they would meet would be for the engagement, and he did not want to wait till then to apologise to her.


“What do you want to do?” Pratap looked up at the night sky as Ajabdeh sat on the parapet of the roof, looking down at the tables, chairs, and decorations being dismantled. It was late, and she was thinking of buying Heer a thank-you gift for the party. One text to Pratap to talk about it brought them to the roof. Although she had changed from her uncomfortable dress to a lounge pant and a crop top, removing her jewellery and make-up, Pratap was still in his black trousers and shirt from the evening. “Why haven’t you changed?” She asked, suppressing a yawn.

“I was catching up with Shakti. We have not actually found time since I got back.” Ajabdeh nodded. He would be upset to be kept in the dark about his best friend and his brother. She eyed Pratap.

“I am too exhausted, but I also want to do something special for Heer. Like a surprise for her to wake up to.”

“I know…” Pratap’s eyes lit up. “Let’s go to the store and make her a basket of her favourite snacks, and you can also get flowers, and a thank you card.”

“It’s 3 A.M, Pratap.” Ajabdeh shrugged, “Where will we…”

“I have a friend who owns a store by the highway somewhere. Let me ask for the location. We can drive there.” He suggested. Ajabdeh contemplated his words. “The flowers and card  are  to be delivered in the morning.”

“That’s a good idea. But first, we need to find a coffee shop. I don’t want either of us to fall asleep while driving.” She stood up. “I will grab a jacket and change into my sneakers.”

“Just tell me you want a coffee date, I won’t ask for your excuses.” Ajabdeh ignored Pratap’s flirtatious words as she ran back to her room to grab her things. Since Heer entered college, she wanted a separate bedroom for her privacy from the one they once shared, and today, Ajabdeh was thankful for it. When she came out of the house, she found him behind the wheel, waiting at the driveway.


It was early morning when Udai Singh sat down on the lawn chair, wiping his sweaty forehead with a towel, after a session at the home gym with his trainer, when Ram Rakh walked up to him, wishing him a good morning. It was a Sunday ritual for them to share their morning tea on the lawn as their wives and children slept in. The servant placed the tea and newspaper down on the table as Ramrakh sounded disturbed.

“I am really bothered about how Ajabdeh made a decision even when we suggested otherwise.” He said at last, making Udai Singh shake his head.

“She has just got to the job, Ram. Let her learn from her mistakes. In the next quarter, I am sure she will realise her mistake.”

“But she makes me feel she is not fit for the job due to her impulsiveness.” Ramrakh sounded displeased. “Perhaps Pratap would have been better.”

“When our fathers started the company, they made the rules amply clear that every alternate generation from both families should get to be CEO. It’s her turn, and we shouldn’t take it away from her.” Udai shook his head. “We have trained them for this, and I am sure Ajabdeh will prove she is fit for the job soon enough. Let’s give her the chance.” He suggested. Although he reassured Ramrakh, the truth was that Ajabdeh’s firmness on her having the last say bothered him, too. He never took any decision that Ram Rakh disagreed with, as CEO. Perhaps the younger generation was built differently and needed their time to settle. Power was a very life-changing thing that not many could handle righteously. He let his thoughts remain within him as he eyed a disturbed Ram Rakh. 

“I just want you to know, Udai, that I want whatever is best for the company. Just because she is my daughter doesn’t mean…”

“I know, Ram, you don’t have to tell me how loyal you are to the company and its causes. We have worked together for over two decades. We have been lifelong friends who share a vision. I am sure our children will also act in favour of the betterment of the company.” He reassured Ram Rakh, who took the morning newspaper and opened it to read. The supplement, with its Page 3 gossip in glossy paper, fell from the newspaper onto the dewy grass as Udai picked it up and stared at the bottom column of the front page with a visible frown.

“What is it?” Ram Rakh found no response to his question from Udai as he snatched the paper and read the article.

“New Romance brewing?” Was the headline with a picture of Pratap and Ajabdeh taken outside some coffee shop down the highway, hand in hand? They seem to be unaware of the camera person clicking their candid picture as they seem engrossed in the conversation, sharing smiles. The body language of the picture was enough to speculate. There was an article attached to it, giving their brief history as family friends and business partners, about them taking over the business and finally about how there was a buzz about Pratap looking for an alliance to strengthen business ties, but he seemed to have chosen otherwise. 

“What the…” Udai Singh frowned as Ram Rakh shook his head and stood up.

“I need to talk to her. This is beyond irresponsible now.” Ram Rakh shook his head.

“No, Ram.” Udai Singh appeared to be calm and calculating, “Let me talk to her. I passed on the baton to her, and she should hear from me what the prices of such positions are.”

“Do you think they…” Ram Rakh found it uncomfortable to utter the word dating as it was used in the article.

“I don’t know.” Udai Singh shook his head. “Let’s talk to Jaivanta and Hansa. We have to make them understand that whatever happened, we can’t change that, but this can’t go on. For the sake of the business and protecting it, they should know better.” He looked angry, and Ram Rakh agreed.

“We have to do something about it.”


Popular posts from this blog

The Other You

Professional Dilemmas

Power Play

Copyright Disclaimer

© Suranya Sengupta Raabta (2013-2026) All Rights Reserved. All original content on this website Raabta including writings, stories, poetry, historical fiction, articles, and other intellectual property (collectively, "Content") is the exclusive property of Suranya Sengupta and protected under the Indian Copyright Act, 1957, as amended, and applicable international copyright conventions, including the Berne Convention.Personal, non-commercial viewing and reading for private use is permitted. Without prior express written consent from the copyright holder, the following uses are strictly prohibited: (i) reproduction, distribution, adaptation, or creation of derivative works from the Content; (ii) scraping, data mining, crawling, or automated extraction; (iii) use of Content to train, fine-tune, or develop artificial intelligence models, machine learning algorithms, large language models (LLMs), or any generative AI technologies; and (iv) any commercial exploitation whatsoever.Unauthorized use constitutes copyright infringement and may result in civil and criminal penalties, including but not limited to demands for statutory damages, actual damages, profits, and injunctive relief. For licensing inquiries or permissions, contact the author Last updated: February 4, 2026.