Power Play
“Ladies always rise above, Ladies know what people want.”- Vigilante Shit.
“As we all know, we are here to decide on the raw material supplier tender for our company.” Ajabdeh looked up from her papers at the round table she was addressing, which consisted of the board members of the company, their sales head and herself. She straightened herself in the chair and cleared her throat. “Many of you have suggested to me to give out new tenders at cheaper rates since the Mishras have increased their rates, and some have suggested sticking to the reliable products even if it means higher costs incurred.” She nodded at her father, who nodded back at her. Ajabdeh then looked at the projections on the whiteboard, set up by the statistics collection of the sales team. “I have taken into consideration all your reports and opinions, the market report for cost and sales of products and everything else, and I would like you to know that I have reached a decision.”
Ajabdeh was nervous as it was her first major decision as CEO, and all eyes in the boardroom were on her. There was Bade Papa, her father and Pratap eyeing her keenly. She knew what they were thinking. She had not discussed her decision with any of them before calling the meeting. They were unsure. She licked her dry lips quickly as she could taste her lipstick. “ I would say this company was built on trust and reliance of not only our founders but also the people associated with them. When this company started, it was the Mishras who came forward and helped with supplies when our founders had no prospect for assured success. We should remember that. Having said that, I am aware the per-unit costs will eventually affect our sales price if we stick to them.” She eyed a woman on the sales team who got up to distribute a file of statistics and data collected to the members. “ I have let Ankita do the sales projections, and as you can see, we can afford to see if it works. I will give the Mishras another chance, see how the products do in the market at an increased price over the next two quarters and then decide again if we need any major changes.” As she stopped, Ajabdeh could sense a look of disappointment from her father and Pratap. They had both wanted her to give out tenders for new suppliers. Ajabdeh remembered Rukaiya’s advice as she inhaled. She had been training for this job for most of her life. This was her moment. The boardroom fell silent for a moment before Udai Singh cleared his throat.
“But…” He said, eyeing the members. “Do you think we can incur losses in the two quarters because of this?”
Ajabdeh eyed the sales team, who shook their heads. “The statistics show the margins going slightly down, but nothing alarming, sir.” They spoke instead. Udai Singh narrowed his brows slightly at them and her. “With all due respect to you as the CEO, I feel that numbers don’t often reflect the reality of how markets react. It's a prediction, yes, but…” He rubbed his chin thoughtfully. Ajabdeh nodded. “I agree, it doesn’t. But people expect good quality products from our label. We have built a brand of quality, and I feel if we don’t stick to the quality the way we should, for a slight rise in cost per unit, I feel it will cause much harm to our reputation.” She was firm. Udai Singh felt silent, nodding his head. Ram Rakh eyed Pratap, who looked away and sighed, as they made their way out of the boardroom.
“Did she consult you?” Ram Rakh’s voice behind him, with a gentle pat on his shoulder, made him turn. He shook his head. “No, she didn’t. I had met the Mishras, and I honestly felt we should give out tenders.”
“You do know, as the Managing Director, it is your duty to be stern on your stand and not let her take all decisions?” Ram Rakh asked. Pratap opened his mouth to speak, but Udai Singh interrupted. “It’s okay, Ram. She is learning. Let her have this. Next time, we will step up.” Pratap could sense a tension in his voice as they made their way to the elevator. Pratap turned on his heel and walked back to the chamber of the CEO and knocked.
“Come in,” Ajabdeh looked up from her computer screen as he peeped in and allowed him by a hand gesture to walk into her chambers. Pratap straightened his tie as he walked in and placed the file handed over during the board meeting at her desk.
“You do know that Dad and Chote Papa are not very pleased?” He cleared his throat. Ajabdeh did not look up at him as he stood by the desk.
“It is not my job to please them, Pratap.” She said rather monotonously.
“They said I should talk some sense into you.” His words made her stop her work and look up at him.
“Excuse me?” She narrowed her brows. Pratap shrugged.
“Their words, not mine. They think I was right.”
“I think I am still your boss, Pratap. Next time you barge in here with such views, remember you are not at home.” Pratap was a little taken aback at her cutthroat words. He apologised in a murmur and turned to leave.
“Heer wants to host a party for us.” Her words made him stop at the threshold as he frowned at her choice of words. They had not told their siblings about the relationship. He looked unsure as he asked, “Us?” Ajabdeh looked up from behind the computer and eyed him. “Yes.” She shrugged, “For becoming the bosses.”
“Oh.” Pratap nodded. He tapped on the file in his hand, collecting his thoughts as she looked cool down and walked back to the desk, and he cleared his throat. “Then maybe we can tell them after the party?”
“What?” Ajabdeh looked up, a little clueless as he smiled faintly. “The parents. About us.”
“What’s the hurry?” Ajabdeh shrugged. He found no words to counter her question. Pratap eyed her keenly. Something in her demeanour made him believe she was not sure of them. Ajabdeh concentrated on work, hoping he would take it as a sign to leave. The last thing she wanted at work was to talk about the future. She was honestly scared, given how everyone reacted to her decision-making. She wanted to be the best CEO first, make Bade Papa and Papa trust her to be able to fill in their shoes and keep the company floating before telling them anything that could potentially upset them. Pratap murmured something about talking to Heer about the party and left.
Rukaiya sat in front of Humayun in his home office and waited for him to read through the file she had presented. It had a proposal to expand its marble business into washroom fittings and related accessories. Humayun inwardly praised the extensive research Rukaiya had put into the idea before presenting it to him.
“Well… it sounds good on paper…” He straightened himself.
“But?” Rukaiya eyed him keenly. Humayun had a smile on the edge of his lips.
“But…” She waited as he collected his thoughts. “Jalal is still very much a part of the board and a majority shareholder. We have to hold a meeting and involve the board if we decide to…”
“Of course.” Rukaiya nodded as she stood up to leave. “Can I ask you something?” She made Humayun nod. “Are you aware that… Mamijaan wants me… us… umm…” She was suddenly embarrassed by her bashfulness as Humayun nodded. “To get engaged? Yes.”
“Do you agree with her?” Rukaiya’s question made Humayun remove his glasses and stare at her. “What is important here is what you kids want.” He said firmly.
“I know that. It’s just that… I feel…” She was unsure, but Humayun’s smile and nod eased her into speaking her mind.
“I was wondering if it is because you gave me the top-most position and marrying me would imply his control over the business…” She stopped as Humayun frowned.
“If you think that either your Mamijaan or I don’t trust you, then you are wrong. You are a daughter in this house. If anyone can take care of the business after Jalal, it is undoubtedly you. I would have never given you the position had I ever felt you would use the power to walk over Jalal someday…” He was firm.
“That is what I needed to know.” Rukaiya nodded. “ If that was the case, I would have resigned and not said yes to Mamijaan’s idea.”
“Will you say yes now?” Humayun asked, keenly. “ Both your mother and I would love that.” Rukaiya inhaled. “I wanted to let you know that I have spoken to Jalal about it.”
“As you rightly should…” Humayun nodded.
“He is still at a very amateur stage of his photography career and can’t move here.” Rukaiya shook her head, hoping it would delay the parents’ idea of marrying them soon.
“Hamida was suggesting you move there instead… we do have our branch at Agra.” Humayun smiled. Rukaiya looked a little taken aback. “Your work won’t be hampered.”
“I…” Rukaiya looked unsure. “I was thinking… Perhaps an engagement would be more appropriate while I learn the trade…”
“That is a good idea.” Humayun nodded, “You can shift in a year or so.” Rukaiya nodded at her words. As she stepped out of the room, she texted Jalal, informing him that she had talked to Humayun like they planned, and it worked because he agreed to an engagement that would give them a year to decide on the future.
Jalal got off the phone with Pratap, lamenting about how Ajabdeh refused to consider anyone else’s words and was an impossible boss to deal with. When he saw the text and smiled, praising Rukaiya in secret. He had also received an informal invite from Heer for a party she was hosting the next week for Ajabdeh. He could not miss Ajabdeh’s party, so he decided to inform Rukaiya that he was coming home next weekend, and that meant they would face the song from the parents together.
.png)
