Choruibhati

 Todhe Zanjeere likhe jeevan naya.

"We are going on a picnic tomorrow," declared Batuk as he entered Aniruddha's study. 

"A picnic?" Aniruddha asked, looking up from the book he was engrossed in.

"Yes, you should come along too." He said with an excited smile.

"In this heat, who plans a picnic?" Aniruddha frowned.

"Pardon me, Barrister Babu, but have you been to the shadowy, cool mango orchards on a summer afternoon?" Bondita placed down a cup as she spoke. "It is cooler than your electric fans."

"Well, you seem to know better. What is that?" He looked at the cup. "I don't drink tea."

"It's coffee. The way you like. Koeli Didi taught me." Bondita smiled.

"You didn't need to…" He looked away awkwardly.

"It's something new, how could I not learn?" She shrugged.

"Anyway, the plan was mine, and we are going deep into the forest. So the summer heat won't reach through the dense leaves.  Trust me, you will enjoy the family time." She smiled.


"What is the occasion then?" He asked Batuk. 

"Well, remember how Maa used to take the three of us out to the orchards?" Bondita observed his face turn grim at the mention of his mother. "Som dada and I wanted to relive all of that with you. Before you go back." Bondita’s eyes travelled from Batuk to his, as Aniruddha looked away.

"Batuk I…" Aniruddha stopped. "I will go. We will have fun."

"I will invite Deb da and Boudi too, then?" Batuk’s suggestion was met with a nod from Bondita.

"Then I will also call Ashapurna." She smiled.

"Who is that?" Aniruddha asked.

"She is her friend." Batuk shrugged.

"Yours too.” Bondita added, “She is the daughter of the Mukhopadhyay house." She pointed in the direction of the house. "You saw her that day when…" She pointed her finger at the main door as he nodded. "Jamai Babu teaches her too." 

“I will go pack some games.” Batuk smiled excitedly as he ran up the stairs.

"I will go pack some books." Bondita turned to leave.

"What about family time?" Aniruddha’s words made her stop. She half turned to face him.

"Books don't seem like a family activity, do they?" He asked with narrowed eyebrows, "Picnics are for group activities. Lots of games and board games. Chess, cards, everything."

"Well, I don't play because nobody can beat me," Bondita smirked.

"Is that so? In chess or cards?" He asked, raising his eyebrows.

"Both." She smiled in pride. "Kakababu tried. Somnath Dada tried."

" You haven't played with champions yet, then." Aniruddha smiled boastfully. Bondita looked up at his words.

"We will see." She stopped her eyes on the cup.

"Try that. And be honest. It was my first try." He carefully took the cup and took a sip.

"Well?" She asked, waiting for a verdict.

"You seem like a quick learner. Use it in the right place." She smiled at his praise. "Trust me, I do, Shotti." He nodded and got back to his book, anticipating that she would leave.


She looked around the study room at his medals and certificates. She was amazed by the new trophies that adorned the room. 

"Are these all yours?" She asked while staring at them in awe. He nodded, not looking up from the book.

"Are these yours, too?" She asked, running her hand over a very thick book. He nodded again. She noticed how messy the study looked. He had stacked up all his books on an empty table. Bondita was not used to seeing the mess around the Roy Chowdhury Mansion. She looked up at the shelves, from where she had always taken out books, dusted them, and placed them back in alphabetical order. 


"Should I put these up on the shelves?" She looked back to see him engrossed in the book. She brought the ladder and placed it in front of the bookshelf, making him look up.

"Am I disturbing you?" She asked. He shook his head in silence. 

"Koeli Didi?" She called out.  Aniruddha looked up from his book with questioning eyes. "I need help." She shrugged. 

"I can do it later." He said again.

"No, it's okay. Koeli Didi?" She called again with a frown. 

"I know. Do you like them arranged alphabetically? Kakababu told me." She extended her hand from atop the ladder for a book. "Koeli Didi?" He sighed.  

"Let me help. She must be busy." He got up from the couch, closing his book.


Trilochan had returned home from work and looked around the relatively quiet house, a little surprised. Usually, when he came, the first thing he heard was Bondita's Nupur running down the corridor to greet him. 

"Where is Bondita?" He asked Batuk, who was sitting alone in the sitting area. 

"I saw her last in the study. Why?" Batuk asked. "You want me to find her?"

"No." Trilochan shook his head. He tiptoed without his shoes towards the study. He stopped behind a pillar. A relieved smile filled his lips. 

Bondita was sitting atop the ladder, and Aniruddha was at the bottom of it, handing her his books. She wiped them with her anchol and placed them up on the shelf one by one. It looked like she was talking. 

"Dugga Dugga." Trilochan tiptoed away the same way he came.


"Did you have to read all of this?" She asked. 

"Not all, but most of them." Aniruddha handed her a book.

"That must be a lot to remember." She exclaimed. "Do these books help you to learn laws?" He nodded. "And what teaches you how to argue?"

He looked amused.

"Instinct. Like nobody taught you to argue." She nodded while placing the book, and then realised what he meant. She looked down at him from the ladder, narrowing her eyes. Aniruddha hid a smile.

"Are you calling me argumentative?" She asked doubtfully.

"I just said you can. Without any bookish knowledge. And you do it so well." He shrugged.

"It sounded like a taunt."


"It wasn't. Honestly." He smiled. 

"Can I ask you something?" She nodded at his words.

"Where is your family?" Her hand stopped at the last book. She sighed.

"Will you believe me if I say I don't know?" Aniruddha thought that her eyes sparkled a little. "All I know is my father is no more, and my mother lives in a widow's ashram in Vrindavan. I sometimes receive letters from her." She wiped her hand in anchol. "I know nothing more. I remember very little from my days at Krishna Nagar." She avoided looking up from the floor. Aniruddha cursed himself in his mind. In his own eagerness, he had never even thought the topic could be sensitive to her. 


"I am sorry, I didn't want to cause you any pain." Aniruddha apologised.

"Oh, you didn't, Barrister Babu. Why mourn something that wasn't yours? Kakababu was so kind to take me in and treat me as his own. He was generous enough to fulfil all my wishes. What more could I have asked of him?" He looked up at her innocent words. If Jetha Moshai actually did so without any ulterior motives, she was right. But if he had an intention, then Aniruddha feared the image of his uncle in Bondita’s heart and mind would be at stake. She would be hurt if she knew the truth.

"Can I ask you something?" He nodded at her question, which brought a sudden stop to his chain of thoughts...

"You don't plan to go back, do you?" His brows narrowed at her words. 

"How did you… ?" He looked surprised.

"You sounded so." She shrugged with a faint smile.

"I never told you. Or anyone." He narrowed his brows.

"When you sang." He frowned at her words. "That day." He raised his eyebrows questioningly. 

Amar ei deshe tei jonmo jeno ei deshe tei mori.”

“I….” Aniruddha was not sure whether he should share his thoughts with anyone yet. Bondita understood that.

"I'd better get going. There is so much to prepare for tomorrow." She jumped down from the ladder as he reluctantly thought of offering her his hand. He stood there as she walked away.

________________________________________________________________


The picnic spot reminded Aniruddha of his childhood. Batuk was right. He needed this. He was way too stressed about the career move he had made and meeting Bondita again. He saw the women lay out the mats and board games while he stood by the jheel, soaking in the morning air. 

Bihari and a few house helpers who accompanied them were preparing the firewood for cooking their lunch. 


After a while, he sat down with Somnath by a tree.

"So, how are your studies going?" He asked his brother, patting his back. 

"The grades are good, not as good as yours." He smiled sheepishly.

"So, did you think about a career option?" Aniruddha asked.

"Well, I always wanted to attend college in Calcutta. Baba wants to send me abroad too. But I don't want to go." Somnath looked across him towards the others. "I don't think I can stay away from home that long. I should work here and  help him."

"You should do what you feel is best for you." Aniruddha nodded in support. 

"Dada. Can I share something?" Somnath asked a bit awkwardly. 

"Yes, Somnath, what's the matter with you? Is everything okay?" He asked. 

"Dada." He cleared his throat. "Mukhopadhyay Kaka wants Ashapurna to be… I mean, I used to study at his place and… he took a liking to me." Somnath looked a little red. Aniruddha looked at him with wide eyes. How old was he? Probably twenty-one. Aniruddha had never realised his brothers were growing up. He smiled, a little surprised. 

"That's why you don't want to leave home? Or go far?" He had a hint of amusement in his voice. "Is it?" 

"No dada." Som blushed. "But Baba promised them that it would only happen after you are settled."


The smile faded from Aniruddha's lips at his words. "Baba is probably eyeing his business partner's daughter for you," Somnath smirked. "She is well-read and beautiful."

"Saudamini?" Aniruddha looked a little shocked. Somnath nodded. "He says it will be good for the business. And of course, you are friends."

"We are not friends, Som. I knew her a long time ago. Does...err… Does Jetha Moshai know?" He asked, looking away at the water of the Jheel. 

"I suppose not. I just assume it. I can be wrong." Somnath shrugged.

"Is anything wrong, Dada?"

"No." Aniruddha shook his head. "I am just too occupied in life to… let someone else in." His eyes automatically travelled around the place. He stopped as a round of giggles rang through the clearing. 

"Somnath Dada." He stiffened as he realised Bondita was approaching them. "Come, let's play Catch Me if You Can!" Before Som could react, he was dragged away by Bondita, who was giggling. Aniruddha watched them from a distance. She had pushed Somnath towards an embarrassed Ashapurna and giggled. He looked away and sighed.


"Why don't you invite Aniruddha Babu to play too?" Sampoorna asked. 

"Have you seen him?" Bondita shook her head. "So serious and grumpy at a picnic. It looks like he will scold someone." Her words made Ashapurna and Sampoorna giggle.

"He's just not that comfortable." Debaditya defended. 

"Or simply doesn't like mingling." Bondita shook her head. "Come, let's play Jamaibabu."


Bondita's eyes were tied. She couldn't see anything. "The trick is to hear carefully," Debaditya told her. "Go where the sound takes you." She heard a lot of sounds. The birds are chirping. The leaves rustled. Sampoorna's bangles. Ashapurna's anklets. Batuk's giggle. Somnath Dada's shoes. Jamai Babu's voice. 


"Find Som Dada," Batuk spoke. And she heard everyone running in circles around her. Bondita extended her hand out to the empty space. She moved her head. Trying to tell them apart by the sounds. 

Aniruddha got up from under the tree and watched them again from a distance. He then brushed the dirt off his pants and made his way toward the cooking area to inspect the progress. His boots made a sound on the ground. Bondita turned. 


Aniruddha was taken aback by the pull on his arm. "I found him. I found him." Bondita giggled, opening her band from her eyes. Her smile faded, and she felt embarrassed as everyone giggled. She let go of Aniruddha's arm and murmured an apology.

"You lost." Batuk teased her.

"I never lose." Bondita snapped. "He walked into our playing area. It doesn't count. All I could hear was his boots."

"What about a game of Chess, Dada?" Somnath asked Aniruddha, who looked bored. 

"Sure, if you want to lose again." Aniruddha smiled.

"Are you that good, Aniruddha Babu?" Ashapurna smiled. "Then you must beat Bondita. She always wins."Aniruddha looked up at Bondita at her words. 


Bondita sat across from him as Debaditya arranged the chessboard. 

After one and a half hours, Aniruddha's Queen was trapped. Bondita smiled, realising she had won the game. 

"We are playing Best of Three." Aniruddha was quick to defend. 

He gave up when he lost the second time. 

"Who taught you to play chess?" He asked, astonished. 

"Kakababu did." She smiled. "I warned you."


"Dada, do women become Barristers there, too?" Somnath asked at lunch. Bihari was serving them. Before Aniruddh could answer, he noticed Bondita dragging the reluctant women there. 

"What happened?" He asked nobody in particular.

"They are feeling shy. They said they will wait for the men to finish eating." Bondita had a complaining tone. 

"So?" Batuk shrugged. "That's normal."

"It's normal because people made it normal," Bondita argued. "Do women not feel hungry? Why will she wait for everyone to finish or nibble on leftovers? Why not divide the food equally?" She shrugged. 

"Bondita," Sampoorna warned her. 

"What?" She asked. "Am I wrong? Why do women cook and not eat together?"

"You are absolutely right." It was Aniruddha who spoke. "Bihari. Serve them too." Bondita smiled triumphantly.

"Bihari Babu. See. Now, Barrister Babu also agreed. Serve us. I am hungry." She sat down on the mat beside Batuk. "Come, Didi." She patted the seat beside her as Ashapurna and Sampoorna shared glances with each other. 

"I should try this rule at home." She murmured almost to herself. "Everyone should eat together."


"So, Yes, Som. Many women do study." Aniruddha nodded, getting back to his discussion.

"Do they practice too?" Batuk asked, surprised. "Can women judge crimes too?"

"Why can't they?" Bondita retorted. "Do they not have the brains, Batuk?" She giggled. "Like you?"

"Soon, women in India would become world-famous career women too. You will see." Aniruddha smiled. “Some have already paved the way and shown us that it’s possible.”

"Yes, women would fight for their rights themselves. They won't need to wait for a man to represent them in society." Aniruddha stopped and looked up at Bondita's words. She looked hopeful.


Aniruddha sat down away from his siblings and the picnic party by the jheel to watch the sun going down. He was lost in thought. Could Bondita have the potential to bring about the changes he had hoped for? She did have a lot of morale. Could she be the face of the changes he wanted in his country? Aniruddha inhaled. Was she strong enough for that? Defying the rules and breaking barriers? Or did she, like most women her age, have simpler dreams of a home? He suddenly remembered the sindoor-smeared face looking at him. He looked up to find her approaching him.


"Do you want to study more?" He asked as she came up to him to offer him a paan. "What?" She asked. 

"Do you want to attend college? Or get a degree?" He asked. Bondita looked taken aback. She was quick to suppress her surprise and asked, "You think I can go to college?" Aniruddha put his hands in his pockets and faced her.

"Why not?" He shrugged with a hopeful smile. "You can do whatever you feel like. You can be the voice of women who need it." He smiled reassuringly at her. "You have the potential. Think about it."

"What about… Kakababu? And homeschooling?" She asked, confused. 

"Could he ever stop you from doing what you wanted?" Aniruddha smiled. "Just think of yourself and do what you feel right." Bondita nodded at his words with a smile and left.


Words:
Choruibhati: Picnic
Dugga Dugga: A phrase often used when someone leaves for some work in a Bengali household to pray to the Goddess for their safety.



Popular posts from this blog

The Other You

Scandals of an Afterparty

Professional Dilemmas

Copyright Disclaimer

© Suranya Sengupta Raabta (2013-2026) All Rights Reserved. All original content on this website Raabta including writings, stories, poetry, historical fiction, articles, and other intellectual property (collectively, "Content") is the exclusive property of Suranya Sengupta and protected under the Indian Copyright Act, 1957, as amended, and applicable international copyright conventions, including the Berne Convention.Personal, non-commercial viewing and reading for private use is permitted. Without prior express written consent from the copyright holder, the following uses are strictly prohibited: (i) reproduction, distribution, adaptation, or creation of derivative works from the Content; (ii) scraping, data mining, crawling, or automated extraction; (iii) use of Content to train, fine-tune, or develop artificial intelligence models, machine learning algorithms, large language models (LLMs), or any generative AI technologies; and (iv) any commercial exploitation whatsoever.Unauthorized use constitutes copyright infringement and may result in civil and criminal penalties, including but not limited to demands for statutory damages, actual damages, profits, and injunctive relief. For licensing inquiries or permissions, contact the author Last updated: February 4, 2026.