Skip to main content

Surprises

 "So what's the plan?" Heer asked on the video call as Jalal and Rukaiya sat in Jalal's office. 

"Jaivanta Singh called me up for a meeting." It was Rukaiya who spoke. "And she said the Sisodiyas want a social wedding for Ajabdeh and Pratap." A smile curved Heer's lips at her words and Rukaiya assured back "Ajabdeh will officially be part of the family." 

"Did you talk to Jija or Dadabhai? Do they know?" Heer was immediately worried.

"No, I haven't talked to them yet. But it seems like they know because Ma'am told me that she wanted to hire some big-shot wedding designer and Ajabdeh insisted she wants me. In return, Ma'am made her promise to stay away from work for her own wedding." The hint of excitement in Rukaiya's voice was hard to suppress. 


Jalal interrupted. "So we called you. We have a few weeks and we decided to surprise Ajabdeh with the kind of wedding she deserves." Heer's eyebrows shot up at the idea. "You mean the Lookbook?"

"Yes. I mean the Lookbook. Do you have it?" Jalal asked. Heer nodded. "I left the key to the apartment with Khan Uncle. Just reach out and call me. I will direct you."

"Not a word to Ajabdeh.". He warned. "Or Pratap." He added. The three of them agreed. 


"What is the lookbook?" Rukaiya asked curiously.

"Well, back when she had just passed out of school Ajabdeh was looking for work. As much as Hansa Aunty wanted her to study, she was unwell and couldn't afford everything at her sole expense. So we asked Ajabdeh what field she was looking for. She wanted to be a wedding planner." Rukaiya smiled. Ajabdeh was always that sort.

"So everyone had to make portfolios of ideas and she made this wonderful lookbook. With time whatever she liked from the weddings, she worked on she picked them all up to compile the lookbook. So it's basically everything she would like in her own wedding."


"But I know Ajabdeh and her nature to control things. What if she starts telling me things?" Rukaiya looked concerned.

"Tell her Jalal and Heer want me to do your wedding." He reassured Rukaiya. "that will shut her up."

"Ma'am also said I need to talk to them about rituals." She remembered. 

"What rituals?" He asked.

"They apparently want their own version of those." Rukaiya looked a bit uneasy. "I am not sure how."

"Whatever it is I am happy that both of them have accepted this as it is; a marriage, not a contract." 

Rukaiya agreed.


Pratap was putting on his cuff links when Ajabdeh walked in through the connecting door, ready to leave for work. Over the last few months, the connecting door had started remaining open all the time throughout the day except if Jaivanta came to see either of them. They were uncomfortable at her implied or expecting stares though neither of them spoke of it.


"I am here to remind you we have a lunch appointment with Rukaiya at the Taj." She spoke. "Don't forget that."

"What are you? My PA now?" He chuckled. "I very well remember my meetings. Besides, Ranima will not be letting me  forget it." He said looking at her while picking up his files. "Why are we meeting at Taj though and not your office?" He shot his brows up questioning.

"Because you wanted a treat, remember?" Ajabdeh smiled."And Shakti said he won't go to any meeting even for me if he's not fed. So I bribed him." Pratap stopped at her words, nodded in silence and walked away. He had mentioned a treat. And he had hoped they would go alone. Even though he found it rather awkward to tell so to Ajabdeh. And here they were to meet for a conference instead.


Pratap fastened his seat belt and wondered. Why were the simple things so difficult and the difficult things so simple between them? She jolted him from his thought as she took the front seat beside him and looked at him. 

"Can I drive on alternate days?" She surprised him with her sudden idea " I feel like you are just driving me everywhere every day."

"Not till I know you are safe." He said calmly.

"And how will you ever know that?" She frowned. "They can come back after decades and still remember it all. The lawyers called me and said I can be summoned either at the high court or the supreme court if needed."

"They can come back after eras. I will still make sure you are safe." Pratap spoke in a matter-of-fact tone. "They should know that." His eyes were on the road. Hands-on the wheels. Ajabdeh leaned back in her seat and had a good stare at his side profile. This man sometimes was a mystery to her. Like right now. He said the things she dreaded hearing and forget about saying out loud, and he did so with so much poise that his emotions were hard to decipher. Pratap could hear a sigh coming from her.

"What are you tired of now?" He asked with half a smile.

"When will all this be over?" She wondered aloud. "Can't the law be fast-tracked to justice? Why do we have to wait for decades for one simple and solid case?"


Pratap nodded in silence. She wanted the case to be over. Did he? Not yet. Not till he was sure that even after it is all over, all is not lost. He looked over to her side. She was staring out of the window at the passing street scenes. His primitive male instinct was strong. He always wanted her to need him, to protect her and support her. It made him feel good. He had a position in her life, no matter what she chose to call it, which nobody else had. But what if there was no danger? There never was? Would they still be here? Pratap remembered his father's words. Its fate. You can't deny fate.


Shakti was having a good look through the menu for the second time and that made Rukaiya smile amused. Ajabdeh shot him a glance. 

"You are not going to have an exam on that Shakti." She reminded him. "You are taking too long to choose a starter."

"Imagine the amount of time he will take to choose a bride," Rukaiya said almost in a reflex. 

"Oh no. I am not choosing a girl. All the women I like end up being bad for me. Ajabdeh will choose for me."

"What?" Ajabdeh looked a little taken aback as Shakti smiled at her and added "Why not? You know me better than Ranima does at least."

"I don't want to be the Shakuni Mama causing a war at home. Spare me." Shakti laughed at her words.


"Sorry I am late," Pratap spoke placing down his phone and pulling the empty chair beside Ajabdeh out to sit. "The traffic…what are we talking about?"

"Right now the starters." Shakti smiled.

"And him giving Ajabdeh the full authority to choose a bride," Rukaiya added amused.

"Bride?" Pratap's brows shot up "Whose bride?"

"Mine." Shakti added, "When the time comes of course." 

Pratap shot a glance at Ajabdeh who shrugged nonchalantly. 

"But she doesn't want to wage a war at home." Shakti chuckled. Ajabdeh rolled her eyes at him. Pratap shook his head.

"I am sure she won't. Ranima will know she is doing her best." A smile curved Ajabdeh's lips at his supportive words.

"So now that the most important thing is done and my starter is chosen you can start talking business," Shakti added. Rukaiya smiled.


"Ma'am told me you don't want to do the regular traditions." She said opening up her notebook. "Tell me what you want and I will give my suggestions accordingly."

They were interrupted by the arrival of mocktails. And Shakti's mango shake. He snatched it almost like a child.

"Well to start with we don't want a circus of rituals." Pratap spoke first "Just to show the world we are married." Rukaiya nodded.

"No pandit. To start with." He spoke. " We don't need one."

"Will Ranima agree?" Shakti sounded concerned in between sipping his drink.

"She said we can do it our way as long as we include the Pheras." He reminded Shakti.

"And the sindoor." Rukaiya reminded them. "But will that not need a pandit?" 

"No. It just vows." Ajabdeh reassured. "We will make our own."

Shakti and Rukaiya looked a bit surprised. "Make your own? That happens in Christian weddings." Rukaiya sounded surprised.

"A wedding is a wedding." Ajabdeh shrugged.

"Besides, we are already married." Pratap reminded again. "All this is just a show to keep Ranima happy."

"So no rest of the traditions?" Rukaiya asked.

"Oh oh! Do the varmala. It's fun." Shakti stopped at his sibling's glance. "What?" He sulked. "I can have some fun and opinion. That's why I am here."

"You are here to eat." Pratap was amused.

"Okay, nothing else," Ajabdeh spoke. 

"Umm… Kanyadaan?" Rukaiya asked. "I am just clarifying." She added as Ajabdeh gave her a cold stare.

"I wouldn't have done that even if it was a real wedding," Ajabdeh spoke.

"But this is a real wedding!" Shakti and Rukaiya spoke in unison as Pratap and Ajabdeh fell quiet.

"I… am hungry. Let's check the menus." Pratap spoke, taking the card in his hand. A long silence followed.


"It's like they are in denial," Shakti spoke as Bairam Khan sat with his hand on his chin, his elbows resting on the side of the accent chair. Jalal paced the room. "I am kind of worried."

"They are not in denial." Bairam Khan spoke as Jalal stopped pacing and looked up at him. "They just don't say it out loud."

"Why?" Shakti would have asked the same but it was Jalal.

"Because they are not sure what the other person feels." Bairam Khan sounded sure. " They are not communicative of their feelings."

"Can't we make them?" Shakti's words made Bairam Khan laugh. 

"They are not kids. And this is their personal space. Let them be."

"But Khan baba…." Jalal sat down on the couch beside Shakti.

"Look Jalal. It is their private life. And as far as I have seen them they are both very private people. Do you want to help them? Let them be." He looked up at the confused men. "Let me explain. Every relationship is like a sapling. Or rather a seed. Now every seed needs its own time to grow into a sapling and then a plant. Right? You can't compare one type of tree's timing to another. Let them bloom in their own time." He smiled. "They are lucky to have you people in their lives but don't push them."

Jalal and Shakti agreed reluctantly.


"But we have to do something," Shakti spoke as soon as Bairam Khan left. "I know. But what?"

"Let's consult Rukaiya." Jalal said. "She seems more mature than us in this matter."


"What do you want?" Pratap looked at his sibling. Shakti was sitting on the couch of his office chamber for the last hour silently. He looked rather stiff. "Will you say anything or shall I throw you out?"

"Rukaiya and I think…" he cleared his throat. "Oh, now you have teamed up?" He fell short at his brother's words. "What do you think?"

"We think you should have a ring ceremony."

"A WHAT?" Pratap looked taken aback. "Shakti you know I…"

"It's for Ajabdeh." He added quickly to make his brother stop. "You see all married people have wedding rings. You wore and flaunted one two years back. Doesn't she deserve one?"

"You could say that. I don't need a public display for it. I can give her one." Pratap shook his head. "Oh, you can. But then how will it be an exchange?" Shakti frowned. "You will still roam around without one."

"Can I help?" Shakti smiled, adding, making him frown.

"Shakti. Whatever you do, don't annoy Ajabdeh." He warned.

"She is never annoyed by me. But it looks like someone is intimidated by his wife." Pratap gave him a cold stare as he walked out of his office.


"So you think I should do something for him?" Ajabdeh asked cluelessly. It was a Sunday evening and she was at the terrace with Shakti as usual for their Sunday evening pizza and board games. "Yes," Shakti said rolling his dice. "He has done so much for you. And you never got to spend any time alone. You both deserve to enjoy the wedding. That includes days leading up to the wedding."

"But… You know me Shakti I never…"

"You know… I felt something and I can be wrong…"

"What?" Ajabdeh narrowed her eyes. "What is it?"

"When he asked you for a treat he meant he wants to go out alone with you on a date." Ajabdeh's heart made a funny leap at his words. "And you dragged me along. God forbid, you turned it into a meeting." He was amused. 

"You think so?" She asked doubtfully "I never…"

"I think so." Shakti nodded "Why don't you take him out on a surprise date before the whole frenzy?" 

"Umm… but what if it's awkward?" She looked unsure.

"It's just Dadabhai," Shakti reassured.

"Tell me one place or thing that you have special and exclusive. I will give you ideas." He was eager to help.

"I don't think it's a good idea, Shakti. Our relationship is different. I appreciate you trying to help but…" Shakti knew it would be hard to convince her.


Pratap stood in front of the jewellery shop for a good few moments before stepping in. A man came to help him out immediately and perhaps even recognised him. This wasn't their usual jeweller. He made sure it wasn't. He didn't want Ranima to know. He felt conscious. "I…" he cleared his throat. "want to see some rings."

"What kind of rings do you want sir?" The man smiled. "We have diamonds, emeralds, Navratnas, gold, platinum…."

"Umm… err… diamond? I guess." He had never done this before. When he got engaged to Phool she made sure she controlled everything. Even his attire and rings were brought by her. But here he was now. 

"Wedding rings?" The man smiled at him. "Oh, I got it. Congratulations sir."

"No, I…. It's for my wife." He managed.

The man took out a few boxes and soon the rings dazzled in the lights. Pratap looked more confused. Didn't they all look the same?

"These are uncut special editions…. That's a princess cut…. These are…" The man's words faded into his ears. He picked up a ring that he spotted. It was a huge uncut rock, with tiny emeralds around it. The base was platinum.

"This one." He said. "It will look good on her finger." He didn't know why he said that out loud.

"And show me some men's bands too." He added.

"Wedding bands?" He nodded. The man looked surprised but was quick to hide it. "Let me show you our platinum ones. Do you want it personalized with a name?"

He selected one with a small diamond on it. "Just the letters."

"And that would be?" The man asked.

"P...and...A." he sounded unsure "Actually no. Make it A & P."

"A first? No problem sire."


"I can't believe we are doing this." Shakti shrugged. "Why don't they?" He frowned.

"Because they are who they are."Jalal reminded him.

"Focus. Guys." Rukaiya snapped. "Tell me which of these would be best for him?" She gave them a choice out of two sherwanis. The men looked confused.

"When I get married I will make sure it's a beach wedding and everyone comes in their shorts." Shakti made Rukaiya laugh.

"We will see about that." She shook her head. "Now choose."


They were in the middle of the shopping spree when Jalal noticed how Rukaiya found all of Shakti's jokes laughable. She tilted her head and smiled at him. And he helped her with her bags and noticed her haircut. Jalal watched Rukaiya probably blushing a little when Shakti complimented her work. It was after the long day that he was dropping Rukaiya back home. 


"You want to grab some dinner?" Jalal spoke to fill up the silence between them. 

"What?" Rukaiya looked unmindful. "No. I...my Ammi will be waiting for me."

"Oh. I never asked who you have at home." He smiled.

"Oh. I thought you knew. I have my parents." She spoke.

"They supported you in your dreams? That's good." Rukaiya had no idea why Jalal was indulging in small talk.

"We are an average middle-class family. They support me in anything that will make an earning. So when Ajandeh offered the partnership they moved here with me."


"Umm… can I ask you something?" Jalal said, sounding a little low.

"Yes of course." Rukaiya smiled.

"Are we friends?" He asked as Rukaiya looked confused at his words.

"Well, we haven't known each other very well. Only long. I guess in our attempt to give them a perfect wedding we do have come a long way beyond the professional boundaries." She agreed. "So yes you are a friend Jalal, why?"

"Do you like Shakti?" 


His words made Rukaiya immediately spill into a roar of laughter. It was unlike her. She was usually quiet. Jalal frowned as he stopped the car where she had told him to. 

"What is so funny?" Jalal frowned. "You seemed to hit it off well with him." He reminded her.

"He is childish. Immature. And not to mention, a Sisodiya. He's not in my league."

"What if he wasn't a Sisodiya?" Jalal asked.

"But he is." Rukaiya smiled. "Goodnight Jalal. And please don't share this crazy idea with anyone else." She started to walk away towards her house when Jalal got out of the car and dashed towards her.

"Wait." She stopped at his approaching figure. He was panting. "Yes?"

"I would like to know you more." He blurted.

"What?" Rukaiya looked confused.

"I really like you Rukaiya and I would like to know you more," Jalal spoke as her eyes widened and colour flushed. "Even if you ever liked Shakti it doesn't matter to me. I want…"

He stopped at Rukaiya going back a few paces. "Goodnight. I will see you at the venue."

"But…" he watched her walk away.


"How was your day?" Pratap jolted a little as the box of rings almost fell from his hands and he caught it. He thanked God for there was a partition of wood between where he stood in his walk-in closet and where Ajabdeh was in his room. He quickly hid the box in between the racks of his shirts.

"Umm… it was good." He smiled. 

"I stopped by your office to give some of the upcoming office events papers." She looked confused "They said you left early. But you weren't home." Was she suspicious of him? She did sound so.


"I went to meet an old friend who needed help." He lied. "How was your day?"

"Same as always. Rukaiya was away most of the day leaving everything to me. And worse is she doesn't even share. God knows what she is up to."

"She has this pressure of pleasing you." He smiled. "You are hard to please."

"As a boss or partner in business. Yes." She nodded. "As a client?" She thought a little. "I am not so sure."

"You are not her client. Ranima is. And hence she is on her heels." Ajabdeh nodded at his words. "And she is not letting me help." She almost sulked and got up. 

"Where are you going?" He asked almost in a reflex. 


"Well, you know the rule. Whoever comes home first makes dinner. Today it's my turn." She smiled. "I am making Chinese recipes."

Pratap looked up at her exchanging a surprised look with her smile as she walked away. He sat down on the couch watching her go. Before that day she never said aloud the unsaid rule between them. But for the last few months, they had maintained the rule for all weekdays. He smiled at the picture of their nuptials that now stood in a frame on the side table thanks to Ranima. The distances between them from that day to this were bridging slowly.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Everything

Kunwar Pratap stormed into the Mahal at Gogunda. Happy faces of the chieftains and soldiers welcomed him as Rao Ramrakh and Rawatji stopped the ongoing Raj tilak. A visibly scared Kunwar Jagmal looked clueless at a visibly angry Kunwar Pratap. Rani Dheerbai Bhattiyani hadn't expected this son of Mewar to show up that too twenty-one days after his father's death. He was not informed as per Dheerbai's instructions. She looked at Rawat Ji. He must have gone to Raoji at Bijolia. No one except them knew where Kunwar Pratap was staying. It was for the safety of his family. " What are you doing Chotima?" A disappointed voice came. She could stoop down so low? " We were about to inform you..." She spoke up in her defence. " When Dheerbai ji?" Maharani Jaivanta Bai, clad in white entered the hall as people bowed before her. " After your son's coronation?" " I did nothing Badima I swear!" A low voice came from Jagmal. " Maha

His Wife

" Where is the Kesar, Rama? And the Kalash?" Ajabde looked visibly displeased at the daasi who ran. " They are at the fort gates and nothing is ready yet!" She exclaimed. She was clad in a red Jora and the jewellery she had inherited as the first Kunwarani of the crown prince. Little Amar ran down the hallway towards his mother. " Maa sa Maa sa... who is coming with Daajiraj?" His innocent question made her heart sink. " Bhanwar Ji." Sajja Bai called out to him. " Come here I will tell you." Amar rushed to his Majhli Dadisa. " Ajabde." She turned at Jaivanta Bai's call. "They are here." " M... My Aarti thali..." Ajabde looked lost like never before. Jaivanta Bai held her stone-cold hands, making her stop. She patted her head and gave her a hug. The hug gave her the comfort she was looking for as her racing heart calmed down. Jaivanta Bai left her alone with her thaal. " Maa sa!" Amar exclaimed

To Protect You

Kunwar Pratap was in court with Rana Udai Singh. The Mughals were conquering a huge part of the north courtesy of Bairam Khan and Mewar on their routes to the ports of Gujarat. " Dajiraj we need to secure the roads leading to Agra and also towards the west. The attack-prone areas should always be under surveillance." " Yes Ranaji. Baojiraj is right." Rawatji agreed.   In the Rani Mahal, everyone was preparing for a grand lunch. Ajabde was making a sweet dish for the princes and princesses and in a hurry, she forgot to add the Kesar and Badam on top. As she served the smaller princes including Kunwar Jagmal, Dheerbai came to inspect her eldest son's food. " What is this? Who made this? Kokoiaji?" She stormed to the kitchen with a bowl of sweet dishes.   " Kunwaranisa did." Came a scary answer, from Veer Bai. " Ajabde Baisa." Her words let out a silent gasp from the lesser queens who stood witness. Calm and composed, Ajabde walked up

Chapter Three: Pedigree

  The Imperial Police work was a tough job. The family had no idea what Superintendent Animesh Kumar Mukhopadhyay went through to provide for his family and their luxurious lives. Abhaya’s father never failed to let his family know that. Every time he drank down his sins. Every time he came home drunk. Every time he beat his wife. Abhaya would often sit awake all night, her pillow pressed against her ears as she sobbed silently, hoping that her mother’s begging sobs and father’s lewd language would stop. One day she had opened the door of her room slightly and was about to step out when her sister-in-law intervened. Her face was dark as she coldly told Abhaya to return to her room. She would be punished if her elder brothers found out about her trying to get out of her chambers at night. Abhaya at twelve knew one truth greater than others. Men were like this, women had to tiptoe around them to serve them as they demanded.  She was intimidated by the regular chores the women of the hous

Chapter Four: Imprisoned

Abhaya was thrown into a room without windows and the doors were chained shut. It was dark and damp and the walls smelled of gathered dust. She could sense the chains being locked as she heard voices outside. She tried to get up but her bruised knees and weak body failed her. She stumbled on the cold stone floor to notice the mattress on one side and a pot of water on the other. What were they going to do to her? Was she the only one here? Where were her parents? In the Summer heat also she felt a shiver in her body. She briefly remembered her house up in flames, the bottles of kerosene being thrown at the open windows. Torches around the house, chanting slogans. The screams of the women. The last time she saw her elder brothers was when they picked up the pistols and canes from around the house. She realised her father was not home when she ran down the corridor towards the chaos, her heart on her throat. The loud sound of the car burning and the screams of her mother made her freeze.

Friends?

Early morning, Ajabde walked into Saubhagyawati’s house as the Panditji looked relieved. “Baisa you are here now I don’t need to look after anything.” She walked into Saubhagyawati’s room and found her braiding her hair nervously. Her lehenga looked beautiful and only the maangtika was about to be put so Ajabde did the honours. Saubhagyawati held her hand and took a deep breath. “Ajabde have a confession.” “What is it Bhago?” She looked worried. “Are you scared?” “No no Ajabde it’s not that. I… met him… before…” “Whom?” “The one who is coming to see me.” She looked away scared. “What? How…” Ajabde looked at her with wide eyes. “woh… Both nights when I waited for you in the…” “Hai Bhagwan Bhago! What if he says that seeing you in front of your father?”  Ajabde spoke up as Bhago looked shocked. Why didn’t she think that before? “What will we do now?” Bhago asked worriedly. Ajabde was lost in thoughts. No way could people know. The groom had arrived with

Understandings

After counting days, Ajabde was happy that she was going to Bijolia. She knew how eager her mother and Ratan would be to know about her new life. She couldn't wait to hug her mother and feel like... Home. She was selecting gifts for her parents and her siblings as per Ranima's instructions. Then suddenly an idea struck her mind. Her new family welcomed her with so much love and support. Especially Ranima and Majhli Maa Sa. She wanted to give them something. Suddenly she remembered that Ranima had loved her embroidery work on dupattas back in Bijolia so she called a Dasi and ordered some plain Chunris and embroidery threads. She had a lot of work to finish in a day before leaving.   Kunwar Pratap came back into the room to see her on the floor, right in the middle of the room with red, green, yellow, and pink all sorts of dupattas scattered. " What's all this?" He asked not sure if he should be asking. " I am making gifts. For Ranima, Majhli ma, Rani Dheer Bai

Destiny

The war was almost won.  A few of Marwar’s soldiers were left on the field along with Rao Maldeo Singh Rathore, their king and leader.  He was thinking of retreating at the end of this day. As his sword clashed with one of the opponent generals as he eyed the opponent King now open and prone to attack. A little hope flickered in his mind as his eyes instructed his closest aide.  The opponent was quite in a winning situation thanks to their new Senapati. He was just 16 yet his bravery and valour reflected his blood and upbringing. He mesmerised the opponents and even Rao Maldeo with his clever war strategies and sword skills. As Maldeo’s aide swung his sword at a taken aback Udai Singh, someone’s sword defended it as his body acted like a shield for the king. He killed the man in one go. “ Ranaji are you okay?” “ Haan Raoji.” He nodded gratefully.  By half the day, the Marwar army had retreated as the air filled with “ Jai Mewar! Jai Eklingji!” From the triumphant soldiers. Rana Udai Si

Struggles and Tests

Kunwar Pratap ran to hug his mother. Jaivanta Bai smiled pleased looking at him. Sajja Bai had accompanied her here with the Bhattiyani queen and had reached out to her sister in Marwar for shelter with the princesses until the war ended. She refused to stay like a commoner at Samant’s house. “Majhli Maasa.” Kunwar Pratap touched her feet and got a hug in return. “ Where is Chotima?” “She went to Mehrangarh.” Jaivanta Bai replied. Dressed simply in a blue lehenga and silver jewellery she still looked elegant. The sound of Payal made everyone turn as Hansa smiled at her daughter. “This is Ajabde. My eldest.” Ajabde stepped forward to touch the queen’s feet while Kunwar Pratap stepped back carefully watching the scene with a smile. Jaivanta Bai cupped her face and noticed her son’s reaction in silence. “Ajabde show them the guest rooms.” After the refreshments, Hansa Bai instructed her while Kunwar Pratap left in a hurry followed by Balwant who now kind of worshipped him.

Towards You

Kunwar Pratap and Ajabde were friends. He didn't feel awkward sharing his plans and thoughts with her anymore. She was more than happy to advise him on everything. She was happy he listened to her advice before taking or discarding them, be it on what to wear to Padmavati's Sagai or how to befriend the revolting Bhils. He loved the way Ajabde always used metaphors from Puranas and Ramayanas to explain the toughest things so easily. She expressed herself so well, so easily that it amazed him.   The Afghans were now led by Mehmood Shah. They have made secret territories in the forests and waited to attack. Rawatji and his spies had confirmed the news and Udai Singh had warned Mehmood Shah to withdraw his troops from Mewar in vain. Now, it was time they declared war. Mehmood Shah had limited resources in Mewar. And his spies clearly suggested that in no way could he win, especially with Kunwar Pratap leading his troops. He was having second thoughts about the war. One of his aides