Skip to main content

Love Struck

A new dawn was about to break in Mewar. Kunwar Pratap shifted in his bed, as the lamp shone in the darkness. He was now facing her sleeping figure. Her hand rested on the pillow between them, the pillow he chose to keep there in the first place but now it seemed like the symbol of the distance he wanted to bridge between their hearts. He stared at it lost in thoughts. I promised myself to make you mine, But how? What if you... He stared at the sleeping figure admitting in silence that no one, even the bravest enemy scared him like her calm composed self did. I am thinking like a typical husband. He smiled. What to do now Ajabde? I am terrible with my words unlike you. Pratap Singh! You need to learn a few things! He looked back at the ceiling in his thoughts. What if I drop hints? She knows me so well, maybe she will understand without me actually speaking for myself. The thoughts made his face light up. Yes, Yes that will be perfect. Let's try this. But... First thing first... something needs to be done to this... 
Kunwar Pratap surely knew actions speak louder than words. What he didn't know was how it could confuse his wife even more. He held her hand and pretended to be asleep.

Ajabde woke with the first light of dawn and stared at his pretend sleeping figure-looking content. She was about to get up when her eyes widened at her hand and then stared right at his face. I wish I could see the nervous face now. He thought with his eyes closed. Hey Eklingji. Ajabde's heart beat faster. She checked if she was feeling cold again. It was so humid that they didn't even need a blanket. Then why is he... She gulped. She slowly tried to pull her hand out as he tightened the grip. It's so hard not to laugh. Let's see what you do now Kuwaraniji. She looked around. Now, what will I do? If I wake him? No No... 
CLANK! Kunwar Pratap jolted up by the noise, letting go of the hand, as she quickly shut her eyes pretending to be sleeping. Then she slowly opened it and looked surprised by the Lota on the ground and him staring at it.
 
" Umm, What happened?" She asked with a tone of surprise. He stared at the Lota that had fallen from HER bedside table and back at her.
" Your Lota, how did it fall?" He asked, scrutinising her face.
" My Lota?" She pretended to be thoughtful. " I was in a deep sleep. Maybe my hand fell on it by mistake." She was rubbing both hands together as she lied to him, looking away.
" How could your hand...." He stopped. Smart played Ajabde, Really smart!
 
She was singing when he walked up behind her and folded his hands in front of the Lord.
" Today is very important." He spoke as she went about keeping his things in place and making the bed. " Today Daajiraj will select the leader for the war against the Afghans if it happens and I want to lead. I want to deal with Mehmood Shah personally." His words made her hands stop as she looked up.
" This is exactly why I think you shouldn't lead." Her words made him frown.
" You don't think I am capable?" He asked, a little disappointed.
" Kunwar Pratap, no one in Rajputana can deny your capability, but a leader should not have any personal grudges at the war, it's a war between Mewar and them, not you and him. Maybe, just maybe your anger can come in the way of...."
 
" Ajabde." He stopped her. " Nothing like that will happen, I promise."
She shrugged like if you say so not very convinced. He shook his head regretting why he told her about dealing with Mehmood Shah personally, knowing fully well that she was not wrong.
 
" Ohho!" His irritated look made her walk up to the dressing table.
" Where  is my..."
" Brooch..." She picked it up from right in front of his eyes where it was placed, as he smiled sheepishly. Then he decided to go a little ahead with his plan as he added " Don't know, there is something strange today. That Lota fell down on its own." He stared at her as she looked away. " Then my brooch is not fitting!"
" Can I ... help?" She was surprised that he readily agreed and sat down in front of the dressing table as she pinned it to his pagri. He stared at her making her feel uncomfortable as he said, " Ajabde?"
" Ji?"
" Can you... do my aarti? Like Ranima does on Daajiraj's important days?" His words made her look at him a little speechless and shocked.
" Me?" She doubted if she heard right,
" Yes you, who else?" he said as she nodded at his smile.
She brought back a thaal and did his aarti and nazar uttaran as he kept staring at her. Keeping the things on the table she was about to touch his feet when he stopped her, both his hands on her shoulder.
 
" Ranima does this too." She smiled. He shook his head saying " Not you." as he removed his hands from her shoulder. He means am not supposed to do that much of a wife's duty? She thought. I can't let you do this until you accept me and all your rights. He thought as he nodded to leave.
He stopped at the door and turned back to see her wearing her jewellery and pulling her dupatta on her head. As she glared back at him wondering why he was still there he quickly replied " The Dagger I forgot." And walked back to take it.
 
They stepped out together and were walking in opposite directions, he towards the Darbar and she towards Ranima's chambers as both stopped and turned around. They were both happy and awkward to see the other do the same as they smiled and walked away from each other again, at the turn they both looked back once again as he nodded and left.
 
" Can I come in, Ranima?"
" Ajabde! I was waiting for you." Jaivanta Bai smiled. " Here, help me with this stitching. I am making a chunri. And tell me about the trip also, how you caught the man?"
" Yes, Ajabde! I want to hear that too." Sajja Bai walked in with a smile as she began.
" ... I told him I trust Aarti Bai but Kunwar P... Kunwarsa... didn't believe me." Jaivanta Bai and Sajja Bai exchanged smiling glances. " He spied on our conversation to make sure she was safe to be alone with. I was so sad about Aarti Bai Sa Ranima..." She was lost in her thought.
 " Ranima?" Kunwar Pratap interrupted the conversation fully aware he would find both the ladies together.
" Ajabde was telling how you spied on her and that man's wife." Sajja Bai spoke up as he frowned.
" Are you here early in the morning to complain to Ranima about me?" He asked.
" No, I didn't..." A protest came.
" Really? What good words come from not trusting you and spying?"
" Umm... If you did that I can't lie." She was ready with answers.
" You are twisting my reasons." He narrowed his eyes at her.
" No, I am not." She shook her head.
 
Jaivanta Bai and Sajja Bai stood witness to this as they smiled.
" Do You see that behna?" Jaivanta Bai was happy as she whispered.
" What Jija?" Sajja whispered back.
" They are fighting. You know what it means?"
" What? They are not getting along?" Sajja was confused.
"No, they are starting to behave like a couple." She smiled.
 
" Haan! Haan! Haan!" He was firm.
" Na Na na!" She was clear.
" All right, Kunwar Pratap." Jaivanta stopped them before it turned more serious. " Why are you here?"
" Ranima." He smiled happily. " Daajiraj said I can lead the troops."
 
" That is great news, congratulations Kunwarsa." Sajja smiled.
" Unlike some people, he doesn't think I am incapable." He taunted as she looked up.
" Ranima, let me help you decorate the Puja Ghar." She walked away as he smiled. Jaivanta looked at the duo and followed Ajabde to the Puja Ghar as Kunwar Pratap walked out.
Sometimes he is so rude with his words, and sometimes he is so caring, that I fail to understand him. What does he think? What does he want? 
" Ajabde." Ranima's call startled her. " Kunwar Pratap is in the Dangal at this hour, can you take the prasad to him?"
" Ji Ranima."
 
The guards stood away as he practised blindfolded. There were three dummies and a moving target placed before him and they had two swords, one in each hand. He tried to listen to the movement of the object that was suspended from a pole, before swinging his sword. What he heard was the sound of a known payal. In the last two days, he had noticed something he never bothered to before. Every pair of Payal, or Kamar bandh, had a different sound. She was always soothing and soft like herself, Ranima's was a little louder. Majali Ma's Kamar Bandh and Payal together made a very different sound. He could feel the sound approach as he ordered " Ekanth." and the guards walked away.
 
Ajabde entered the Dangal, unaware that even in the blindfold he could feel her presence. She looked around to see no one else was there so she unveiled her face. He was swinging the swords in both hands and turning to the moving target. He never missed it every time he swung his swords. He looks so different once he is with a sword, he looks so determined and focused, but in the room, he can not find even the simplest of things. She stared, smiling at his moves, mesmerised. He could sense her watching him. Someone doubted my potential. Let me show her some potential. A smile curved his lips as he flaunted his best moves making her gasp in awe. He heard it right, she just gasped amazed. She realised she was standing there like a fool and would have no explanation for her position and expression if he suddenly opened the blindfold. She slowly tried to move away. Prasad can wait until later. He is busy. He frowned a little as the sound of her Payal began to fade, he quickly removed his blindfold and called " Ajabde." She stopped in her tracks, shocked. How does he know I am here? She turned around. He had by now kept his swords and walked up to her. He smiled at her asking
" You Here?" He asked with a smile as she turned.
" Haan... woh... I..." She fumbled red.
" So you like it?"
" What?" She asked.
" The talwar baazi, whatever you see right now." Her eyes went wide. He knew I was standing here like a ...
" Umm... I need to go..."
" When you are free you can come here and I can teach you some like I did here." He smiled, hoping that she would sometimes accompany him to the Dangal.
" I... I don't think so..." It's better to stay away than get hurt all the time.
" Accha?" He frowned." Thik Hai... give what you came here for...."
" Ji? What I..." She looked up at his face confused.
" Prasad." He reminded her, indicating with his eyes.
" Yes." I am being such a fool today. She handed it to him and hurried away as he watched her go. Someone does get affected by me. He smiled remembering her red face.
 
" Today Kuwaranisa and Jaivanta Jija cooked lunch." Sajja Bai declared to the Princes as Kunwar Pratap looked up at Ajabde looking embarrassed.
" Bhabisa makes the best Ghewar isn't it Dadabhai?" Shakti praised the food.
" No, Kheer." he bit his tongue for being loud as she looked at him blushing.
" Chalo..." Jaivanta Bai stared at the duo, " Kunwar Pratap likes someone's Kheer more than mine!" Her tease made the princes laugh as Kunwar Pratap protested " No... Ranima... I didn't mean...." Ajabde walked away murmuring " I will bring the..."
 
After lunch, Ajabde was sitting absent-mindedly feeding the pigeons. He is praising me just a formality or he really means it? Did I offend him by my comment on ... oh Ajabde why did you need to give your opinion. Now he thinks you don't think he is capable...
" Ajabde." His voice startled her as he sat beside her.
" Kunwar Pratap? What are you..."
" You were not in the room so I gathered you will be here... " He smiled.
" Umm... I was feeding the..."
" I can see."
" I wanted to tell you something Kunwar Sa." She looked scared as his heart skipped a beat. Tell me something? Did she get the...
" Say." He calmed his racing heart.
" I... believe in your potential." What? Potential? What is she saying? " I didn't mean that you can't lead the army or anything."
" I know." She is thinking of that and not... Ajabde! Seemed more intelligent. He stared at her confused face. " I was just teasing you, I know you mean well." She smiled relieved at him.
 
A giggle in the garden made them stare at one of the Princesses with her friends. The ladies were constantly eyeing Kunwar Pratap, which even Ajabde noticed. Usually, he was uncomfortable with these stares but today they might help him get something out of her. He looked at Ajabde, eyeing them.
" I should go meet them." He pointed to getting up.
That surprised her as he usually ran away as soon as such guests came to the palace. She also got up and walked inside. He was walking towards the garden and he turned back hoping to see some jealousy only to find that she was not there.
 
With a frown, he ran after her. He found her in the room, neatly folding his clothes. His appearance made her look up. Is he following me? No, No Ajabde! What are you dreaming of? 
" Why did you walk away?"
" I was done feeding." He felt stupid to ask that.
" Umm... Ohh. I was thinking of going to Kheri and checking once."
" That's a good idea, Meet Aarti Baisa and give her my regards." She was still folding the clothes as she spoke. He sat down on the couch scrutinising her as he said
 " Yes, I am thinking of visiting Lolita too, she was so helpful when I asked about the villagers."
Her hand stopped at the clothes but she didn't look up.
" That is good Kunwarsa, everyone in Kheri is your subject so you must ask about their well-being." She walked inside to keep the clothes once again failing his attempts as he shook his head clueless. He wants to ask about Lolita's health? That village is full of people but her, of all the people?
 
Now, what do I do? How do I ... I praised her, I teased her, I tried to make her feel jealous.... doesn't she understand anything? Or she is ignoring me because... He was sitting in the garden alone and a little disappointed. Maybe she doesn't like me... how can she not? Everyone likes me. And she is my wife. No No, she likes me, She is scared? Of what?

What is wrong with him, Lord?  She sat in her puja Ghar seeking some answers. Since the trip he has been acting like.... like a husband... is it all my imagination? Because I want to think that? A few good praises from him made me weak. I had made a vow. He had clearly said that he didn't want distractions. He is always a man of his word. He will never... Why do his actions now contradict his earlier words? Is it all in my mind?

" Baojiraj." Chakrapani broke his thoughts.
" Chakrapani." He was disturbed. " Tell me. Do I need to say everything I want to say?"
" Huh?" He looked confused.
" If one can understand what is in my mind, why not what's in my heart?"
" Baojiraj, I can not understand what is in your heart or mind or what you are saying." He looked up at his friend and said " It's not for you. What do I do now?"
" What?" Chakrapani was clueless. " Are you talking about Bhabisa?"
" No No. Nothing. Leave it. How is Parvati?" He changed the topic.
 
He walked into his room and saw her reading while she waited for him. He kept his pagri and urged her to continue. She was reading in silence as he came and sat in front of her asking
" What is this?"
" Poems. On Siyaram and Radheshyaam."
" Which story inspires you more?" He asked. " Ram Sita or Krishna Radha."
" Ram Sita. Because they were always with each other no matter what. Even the distances didn't matter. Radha ... had one-sided love. It... Hurt her." She chose the words carefully.
" Krishna also loved her. He loved her beyond social barriers." He protested.
" So he did to many others. "
" They were not the same to him. He is still worshipped with her, isn't that proof enough?" He asked.
" I don't know, he never said he loved her. Radha's love made her weak and vulnerable. It hurt her." She was lost in her own disturbed thoughts. He felt like every word was directed at him.
" The pain of love itself makes you stronger, I feel. It helps you know how much a person matters. Some things are meant to be understood, not said aloud always." His words made her look into his eyes, as they twinkled and her heart skipped a beat. What does he mean? Her eyes questioned. I mean what you are thinking Ajabde. He smiled. No No that cannot be. She concluded.
He lay awake. Thinking, What next? He looked at the pillow in between and gathered that he needs to do something about this first. Will that be enough for you Ajabde? He stared at her sleeping figure. He turned his back to her as she opened her eyes. What does he mean? What does he want? Isn't it all too good to be true?



Comments

  1. So now they truely are discovering each other.
    Another enthralling update.... simple words but very wisely used.
    What you say or do is the most difficult to prove or to contradict in front of your love. Being in love is not eazy!!!
    Sochho Pratap sochho...
    Samjho Ajab samjho...
    Ya to dono clear conversation kar ke matter sort out kar lo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahahah but you know we must not forget they are teenagers and hence more confused because kahi unke andar thoda bachpana bhi hai....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya I mean ppl always say that tpday we all have to go through a lot at all the ages. There are lots of pressures. Ot was the same even then.
    Teenagers that are married n other complexities...
    But you are itching then very adorably...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya I mean ppl always say that tpday we all have to go through a lot at all the ages. There are lots of pressures. Ot was the same even then.
    Teenagers that are married n other complexities...
    But you are itching then very adorably...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The part of comparing ram sita n radheshyam is good woth theor entire conversation surrounding them. I think with them probably a clear conversation shall only solve the purpose.
    Coz they r simply proving the theory of every action has surely an opposite reaction ; P
    Maybe his Dajiraj can show him some light as his parents were all alone when they got married. Maybe share through his experiences.
    Here I think Ajabs set of doubts are genuine onesas she will always doubt the relation to be a forced one due to their earlier conversations.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter Five: Saved

The next time Swadhin opened the door with starched rice and mashed potato in a bowl he found the previous day’s food across the floor, ants feasting on it. The balm however had been used. His eyes fell on the darker corner of the room and Abhaya was half sitting, her knees crouched to her chest and eyes closed. For a moment Swadhin was scared. Was she breathing? He put the steaming bowl of rice down and approached her carefully. He was about to put his finger near her nose to check when his eyes involuntarily travelled to her chest moving slightly up and down. Swadhin could breathe again. It was then that Abhaya came out of her trance to see him leaning close to her. She screamed. Her voice was muffled as Swadhin in a reflex put his hand over her lips. “Don’t.” He said, alarmed. “You will be slapped again.” Her eyes were wide at his plea. She struggled to get his hand off her mouth as he said again, more firmly. “I am letting go of the hand, but you won’t scream. I brought you food. Y

Chapter Six: Nemesis

A widow was forgotten by society. It was both a boon and a curse. Kalyani managed to hide her face in her soiled Thaan draped around her sweaty body as she looked up at the horizon. She had been walking for a day now, begging for food and water. She was sure her family did not survive the fire and attack. Whoever did it to them she was not sure they were wrong. The only people she shed tears for were Abhaya and Niranjan. She felt guilty about not feeling sad. But she was saved by God’s grace. Everything had a reason, and she needed to find hers. She was supposed to stay the night at one of the village gatherings of the Baishnavs chanting the names of Radha, Krishna and Chaitanya through the night. There was chaos in the peace of the temple complex when she overheard about a fire in a police van. Alarmed, she stepped out of the premises to rush back home only to find the house in flames. She could see a group of men clad in dark clothes come out of the back door and as she hid behind th

Destiny

The war was almost won.  A few of Marwar’s soldiers were left on the field along with Rao Maldeo Singh Rathore, their king and leader.  He was thinking of retreating at the end of this day. As his sword clashed with one of the opponent generals as he eyed the opponent King now open and prone to attack. A little hope flickered in his mind as his eyes instructed his closest aide.  The opponent was quite in a winning situation thanks to their new Senapati. He was just 16 yet his bravery and valour reflected his blood and upbringing. He mesmerised the opponents and even Rao Maldeo with his clever war strategies and sword skills. As Maldeo’s aide swung his sword at a taken aback Udai Singh, someone’s sword defended it as his body acted like a shield for the king. He killed the man in one go. “ Ranaji are you okay?” “ Haan Raoji.” He nodded gratefully.  By half the day, the Marwar army had retreated as the air filled with “ Jai Mewar! Jai Eklingji!” From the triumphant soldiers. Rana Udai Si

To Protect You

Kunwar Pratap was in court with Rana Udai Singh. The Mughals were conquering a huge part of the north courtesy of Bairam Khan and Mewar on their routes to the ports of Gujarat. " Dajiraj we need to secure the roads leading to Agra and also towards the west. The attack-prone areas should always be under surveillance." " Yes Ranaji. Baojiraj is right." Rawatji agreed.   In the Rani Mahal, everyone was preparing for a grand lunch. Ajabde was making a sweet dish for the princes and princesses and in a hurry, she forgot to add the Kesar and Badam on top. As she served the smaller princes including Kunwar Jagmal, Dheerbai came to inspect her eldest son's food. " What is this? Who made this? Kokoiaji?" She stormed to the kitchen with a bowl of sweet dishes.   " Kunwaranisa did." Came a scary answer, from Veer Bai. " Ajabde Baisa." Her words let out a silent gasp from the lesser queens who stood witness. Calm and composed, Ajabde walked up

You Deserve More

Ajabde woke up with the song of birds as she felt something warm clinging to her hand. Her eyes went wide. Her hand was on the pillow in between, between his hands, clasped as he slept. She thought of removing it slowly but he was holding it so tight. Ajabde's heart beat faster and faster. What do I do now? How do I not wake him? What if... why is my hand in his? She was utterly confused.   " Am I..." In love? Pratap was staring at the sleeping figure on his bed as he again looked back at the rain. Then he looked back frowning as she shivered. He closed the windows of the room, to make it cosy then sat on his side of the bed. A lamp flickered on her side like always and he stared at her sleeping figure as he put his blanket over her as well. She shifted a little in her sleep to make herself cosy again. Her payals and bangles made a rhythmic sound breaking the silence of the room. Her hand was out of her blanket and on the pillow in between. He tried to slowly put it in th

Chapter Four: Imprisoned

Abhaya was thrown into a room without windows and the doors were chained shut. It was dark and damp and the walls smelled of gathered dust. She could sense the chains being locked as she heard voices outside. She tried to get up but her bruised knees and weak body failed her. She stumbled on the cold stone floor to notice the mattress on one side and a pot of water on the other. What were they going to do to her? Was she the only one here? Where were her parents? In the Summer heat also she felt a shiver in her body. She briefly remembered her house up in flames, the bottles of kerosene being thrown at the open windows. Torches around the house, chanting slogans. The screams of the women. The last time she saw her elder brothers was when they picked up the pistols and canes from around the house. She realised her father was not home when she ran down the corridor towards the chaos, her heart on her throat. The loud sound of the car burning and the screams of her mother made her freeze.

F A T E

The sun was about to set on the western horizon. The sky was now a palette of red, yellow and orange across the vast blue canvas, with occasional clouds around the setting crimson disk between the hills of the Aravallis. Lake Pichola reflected the colours of the sky, on itself like a mirror. The boats rowed on it. Tourists, artists, photographers, honeymoon couples… enjoying the beauty and serenity of the sunset. Further, eastward somewhere up near Bhilwara, the waterfalls reflected the colour of the red sky as though blood streamed down to the pool below. The gentle breeze blew sweeping aside the unmanned hair from the face of the lone being that stood there, watching the water create ripples on the pool and reflect the sky. The Bhimlat was quiet, except for the turbulence of her heart and the waterfall. Do you still remember the sunsets?  “Do you remember how you loved the sunsets?”He smiled watching the sun ready to go home for the day, from the private boat he was sitting in t

Secrets of the Hearts

Kunwar Pratap opened his eyes to catch a glimpse of Ajabde. She was sitting on the chair in front of the dressing table, filling her hairline with the sindoor. She looked freshly bathed and so serene in the light of the dawn, he stared with a smile meandering on his lips. He didn't get up or make her aware of his watchful eyes, but Ajabde seemed to feel it as she blushed slightly before putting on her dupatta and walking into the Puja Room without looking at him, although fully aware that his eyes followed her.   He dressed up as she finished her puja and he was heading out as she frowned. Usually, he waited to take her prasad and tell her the agenda for the day. He stopped at the door, aware of her confusion.   " I am going to Ranima, I will be back to take Prasad and my Dagger. " He smiled back as she nodded, keeping her Thaal as she went to place his dagger, sword and brooch right where he needed them to be. He stepped into Ranima's puja Ghar to find Hansa Bai and

Vows

Pratap was staring at the Havan Kund that was lit up for the wedding as he sat in the mandap doing the Ganesh Puja. Two days and so many rituals he had to do. All he knew was like an obedient and ideal son he had followed every ritual his mothers and the Panditji told him to do. They said he didn't understand the significance of many rituals now, he would later on. He didn't actually care. All he wanted was to get over the wedding really fast so that he could consider the other important things in life. Did I just think others are important? No, the most important. The Turk Invader was surely going to use his diversion for his own profit. Somehow he could read Akbar's mind too well. He had been teased beyond his imagination by Shakti as Chakrapani accidentally told him about the Mandir incident. He swore to make his friend pay once when he was back home.   " She is here." Hansa Bai's voice made him look up as people stared to his right. Ajabde's hands and

Eternally Yours

Ajabde woke up to find neither the pillow nor the husband beside her. That was really unusual. Has she overslept? No, it was dark and the first birds were singing. She sat up to find that he had neatly arranged the pillows and made his side of the bed and put his blanket over her. She checked the changing room. No, he was not there, but unlike other days his clothes were not in a mess. She freshened up and reached the dressing table. His brooch was not there. Where is he? Has the war... Her heart skipped a beat. What if he had left and not even woken her up? " Daasi? Daasi?" She called as one of them walked in. " Ji Kuwaranisa?" " Where is Kunwarsa?" " He left early in the morning for Dangal and then a visit to the village. Do you need anything?" " No, You may go now." She put on the sindoor in a worry. Maybe something urgent has come up. She walked to the Puja room and was shocked. Her garlands were made, the Chandan was in place and