Pehli Mulakaat Hai Yeh!
The Coffee shop near the City Axis Mall, at Udaipur,
was fairly crowded with businessmen, office goers and a few groups of young girls.
Pratap sat in a comfortable two-seater in the farthest corner of the cafe, in his Denims and
a grey t-shirt, as he checked the time on his iPhone the umpteenth time. His
attention caught the group of five young girls, probably teens, eyeing him. Their demeanour showed
they clearly recognised him as he smiled, making them look away.
He shook his head and dialled a number, irritated.
“What the hell, Shakti?” He sounded irked.
“What happened, Dadabhai?” Shakti was alarmed.
“You said she will be here by 11 AM. It’s half past twelve." He checked his watch.
“Umm… you know, girls, Dadabhai. Maybe her parents are busy
getting her ready to impress….” He had a hint of amusement in his voice.
“I don’t care. First, Ranima gives me this stupid kasam and
forces me to come here. Then you say she is worth a meet. I don’t want to get
married, and you know that, Shakti.” He spoke firmly in an irked tone. “And I don’t
want to meet any girl in a coffee shop for god’s sake. This is not me.”
“Yup, the parents should just have said bring your girl to
the nightclub, our Kunwarsa will see her there.” Shakti sounded more amused.
“ I am not joking, Shakti. The last thing I want is to meet some business tycoon’s pampered
daughter for an arranged…” He shook his head.
“That will be me.” The voice made him look up at the girl
standing behind him, almost breathing down his neck.
“Excuse me?” Pratap’s eyes narrowed.
“The business tycoon’s pampered girl." She pointed at herself. "Hi. Ajabdeh Punwar.”
She extended her hand as he disconnected the call, abruptly, embarrassed.
“Hello? Hello? Dadabhai? Did you find someone to flirt with? Hey Bhagwan, focus! Dadabhai, don't leave with someone else, do you hear me? Hello?” Shakti frowned at the abrupt end of the call.
“Umm…” Pratap got up a little hesitantly. “I didn’t mean…”
“It’s okay.” Ajabdeh
shook his hand with a shrug. “I am here to meet the spoilt prince of Surajgarh, too, apparently.” That made him smile as he shook his head, saying, “Please take a seat. What will you have?” She eyed him, sinking back on his chair, not caring to show the chivalry of pulling her chair, the way men did most of the time on such occasions.
“One Café Mocha with ice cream.” She placed her order as
Pratap observed her fidget with the Dupatta of the attire. No sophistication at all.
What the hell was Shakti saying?
“So…” He cleared his throat, planning to get over this
as fast as possible, maybe within thirty-odd minutes. He would make an excuse for a nonexistent client.
“So…??” She copied his tone, noticing him take a sip of his
Irish coffee. Eww, who drinks that? He is showing off.
“How does this happen? I mean… I have never met a girl in a
coffee shop before.” He shrugged.
“Well, me neither… met at a coffee shop, I mean.” She smiled. “It’s
always at pubs.” Made him stare at her, questioningly, a little surprised.
“You… party?” He observed her attire judgmentally.
“Are you kidding me?” She laughed a little, tilting her head.
“Of course I party. Are you judging me by my clothes?” made him look away, a
little uncomfortably as he shifted in his seat, shaking his head.
“I mean… no actually Ranima said….” He cleared his throat.
“She said what my parents told her, and vice versa. In fact, this look is chosen by my parents who decided it would impress people, and I just went with
the flow.” She sipped at her just-arrived Mocha.
“Umm… I guess it’s the same in my case. They lied a lot, I heard.” He nodded.
"Ohh yes, Shakti is very nice and straightforward." She smiled.
"He always is. He is rarely wrong." He shrugged. "I sometimes trust his instincts more than my own."
“ Can I ask you something?” She asked a little seriously as he nodded.
“Are you a virgin?” Her question made him look up as he kept down the cup he was holding.
“What?” He asked wide-eyed, thinking he had heard her wrong.
“Are you a virgin?" She repeated with a shrug.
"Umm... You're asking because...?" Pratap sounded a little awkward. Really? Shakti said...
"Generally, people ask this of girls, so I am asking you instead.” Her face was serious as he cleared his
throat.
“Look, Miss Punwar, I am not, and frankly, I don’t care if my
life partner is a virgin or not. By asking
such questions, people can raise a finger at someone’s character without knowing
them for who they are. They have their reasons, I have mine, as long as the past doesn't affect the future, it is not my business."
“I am glad you think like that." She smiled a genuine smile. "Okay, Next.”
“Umm… Is this Kaun Banega Crorepati?” He asked, a little
amused.
“No, this is Kaun Banega Mera Pati. Oh my god!” She laughed
as he grew uneasy. "I'm so funny." She noticed that he looked awkward at her laugh, as some people stared at their table and stopped laughing.
“ Do you want this?" She asked, lowering her voice.
“Excuse me?” He raised his eyebrows.
“Marriage kids… boring circle of life…Do you not want to live?” She frowned. “Frankly, from what I heard about you… don’t mind… I don’t
expect…”
“ So you have done your research?” He smiled, a little impressed.
“No, my sister did. Me… I… am here to plan how to get away
from this.” She smiled.
“Really?” Pratap sighed in relief. “Me too. I'm so glad we
are on the same page.”
“Yeah… I expected you to understand… ‘love is not for me’…”
She smirked as he shook his head.
“Technically, that was said four years ago, I was almost a
teenager, I think.” He remembered his quote from a magazine. “But I still
think the same." She nodded at his words, "By the way, what are your dreams? Coz frankly am very surprised
that a girl…”
“Doesn’t want Prince Charming?” She laughed. “Well, I wanna
travel, backpack to unknown places, write about them, the experiences, people I
meet, local cuisines and customs.”
“You… want to write?” He asked, surprised.
“Yup… that’s the dream,, she smiled. “How about the spoilt
princy of Surajgarh? What are his dreams?”
“Well. The spoilt princy first of all has a name. You can
call me Pratap.”
“Princy sounds better.” She shrugged as he shook his head.
“Umm… I dream … something totally different from this
business profit and all… in fact, I'm sure you will laugh…” He leaned in, placing his elbows on the table.
“Try me.” She smiled, urging.
“Umm… you know how our ancestral palace in Surajgarh and
adjoining properties are lying useless….” He shrugged. "We only live in one-fourth of the actual property."
“I have heard…” She nodded. She heard her mother boast endlessly about the royal family for the past two days.
“And…" he looked at her, cupping her face with her hands, listening to him. Her doe eyes were sparkling with interest.
“Surajgarh is not that developed….” He shrugged.
“Umm Hmm…” She nodded.
“I want to renovate the properties into hotels and resorts and
use the money to develop Surajgarh.” He stopped as she raised her eyebrows.
“What?” He asked, confused.
“Wait a minute…. You know we are not here to impress each
other, right? Are you serious?” Her eyes widened.
“Yes, I am Miss Punwar.” He didn’t smile.
“Oh my god! The womaniser party animal Princy has this side
too… why doesn’t this come in the magazines?” She frowned.
“Image ka sawal hai.” His smirk made her laugh. “On a
serious note, I want to surprise my parents. They think I am…”
“Useless?…” She shrugged. “Mine will
laugh if I say I want to write.” She nodded.
“Well, then, how do we get this over with?” He asked as she
appeared, thinking.
“Well… Let us go with the flow.” She shrugged.
“Pardon?” He looked confused.
“ Let’s say it was the first meeting and….”
“They will make us meet again.” He shrugged.
“If they get too serious, we will say… we didn’t hit
it off…” She shrugged.
“Our thoughts don’t match?” He added.
“Perfect !” She smiled.
“It was nice knowing you, Miss Punwar.” He got up to extend his hand for a shake, as she
took it.
“Please, call me Ajabdeh.”
“May I drop you somewhere, or do you have your ride?” He asked
as they stepped out of the coffee shop.
“Actually, I am not allowed to drive after I….” She stopped
biting her lips as he frowned.
“You?” He raised his brows, ready to be surprised by anything at this point.
“ I was a little drunk, and the Porsche just brushed against
that tree.” Her face made him laugh.
“You know this is the longest I have talked to an interesting
girl without hitting on her.” He confessed, smiling. “Where may I drop you, Ajabdeh?”
“ The Mall, please. And FYI, next time replace interesting
with ‘pretty’!” She smiled.
“Won’t that be termed… flirting?” He asked, amused.
“Umm… no, 'coz we are here to break this match, remember?” She
laughed.
“Hmm, you are right!” He opened the door of his Ferrari
for her to get in.
“ You are also interesting!” She said after he had
adjusted his playlist. “Where do you hang out?”
“Mostly at the Marriott.” He smiled. “Free tonight?”
“Me? Umm… yes but…" She looked confused.
"Wanna join us? A few friends, close buddies." He shrugged.
"And I assume they will think of me as one of your many adventures?" She was amused.
"Oh no no! My brother will be there. I know Shakti has already decided that Ajabdeh Punwar is his bhabhi in his mind." His words made her laugh.
"Ohh, too bad, they will be disappointed. Well, okay, pick us up at the clock tower.”
"Us?" He narrowed his brows slightly.
"Heer, my sister. She would like to come along. Make sure I behave." She chuckled. He nodded.
“Why not your home?” He asked.
“You want to tell the folks we are enjoying our conversation, and we
are partying tonight? Go ahead!”
“Smart! But… Is Heer on the same page?” he made her sigh.
“She is not impressed by you and will definitely not leave me
alone with you after what she read about you in the articles.” She chuckled, making him laugh.
“Is my reputation so bad?” He narrowed his brows, amused.
“No, I'm kidding! It’s never bad to follow your heart as long
as it doesn’t harm you or others seriously.” She shrugged.
“Trust me, Ajabdeh, I have never ever promised any girl
anything. Relationships are…” He stopped to think.
“Hard to keep.” She nodded, “I know. Eventually, people are
stuck, betrayed and hurt.”
“Haan … love is not like that in movies…”
He agreed.
“Oh, please, it never was…” Suddenly, Ajabdeh was
irked. "Even in epics, like Draupadi was shared, or Sita was left alone."
“He could have left his kingship and chosen her, I feel.” His
voice was calm.
“I'm surprised you even know Ramayana.” She laughed.
“I'm a surprise package, Ajabdeh, but I'm glad so are you.” He
smiled.
“One good thing is that because of our parents' futile efforts, we
will end up being friends.” She suggested.
“Then you will be the first girl to be so.” He chuckled.
“Are you warning me that you can flirt any time?” She rolled her eyes.
“No, I'm just saying it's a habit, don’t
take it otherwise. I don’t want this. Love is so hard, let alone marriages!” He shrugged.
“Don't be scared, Princy, neither do I. I hate love, too.” She
smiled.
Silence filled the car as Ajabdeh frowned out of the
window and Pratap concentrated on the wheels, lost in thought. No one but they
knew why they felt so bitterly about love and relationships. Her sigh made him
realise the silence as he asked, “So… you like to dance?”
“Love to.” She smiled. “Do you?”
“People say I'm quite good at it.” He smirked.
“Ohho Ohho! We will see. Shakti can too?” She
smiled. “He’s nice.”
“ Are you hitting on him?” He chuckled.
“No, I don't hit on my husband's brother.” She
laughed. “Oh my god! That even sounds funny.”
“ I swear!” Pratap laughed. “I would lose control of the car. Never repeat this.” She laughed.
She got out of the car as her dupatta got stuck to the door.
“Shit, this thing.”
“I hope you will not wear this… umm… tonight?” He helped her
free it.
“No, I will come in a saree for you, Darling!” made him stare as she
laughed. “Kidding! Okay, bye.” She waved and turned to go.
“10PM, clock tower.” He reminded her, leaning against the car, hands in his pocket.
“Done." She nodded as she glanced over her shoulder. "Bye, Pratap.” She waved with a smile.
“Bye, Ajabdeh. See you tonight.” He watched her go inside the mall as he turned and got into his car. Ajabdeh stepped out of the Mall as soon as his car left. She dialled Heer.
“Hello, Jija, how was he?” Heer’s excited voice answered in a
single ring.
“She is fine, Shakti… I told you twice,” Pratap answered
his brother, keeping his file aside. “How many times will you ask?”
“So just an okayish guy? You spend 3 hours with him, Jija?”
Heer smirked as Ajabdeh checked her watch.
“What crap! Three hours….” Pratap stopped to check his watch while Shakti smiled and left.
“How did we spend three hours…” Ajabdeh murmured to herself.
"I didn't even realise it was that long…” Pratap smiled unknowingly at his file.
.png)
