Match Found!
“ Jija, are you sure?” Ignoring her sister’s doubtful voice, she put a spoonful of tea leaves in the
boiling water.
“I think you should leave this to me and get ready… they are here…” Heer protested feebly again.
“It's okay, I will do it, go away.” She took a jar in her hand.
“What are you doing, Jija? Stop” Heer's alarming voice stopped her just in time.
“What?” She frowned, confused. “It's sugar ….”
“Jija.” Her sister giggled. “That's salt. Please leave this to me and get ready.”
She took her sister by the hand to their
room.
Putting the pink dupatta on her head, matching it with the
yellow salwar kameez, her sister searched frantically for the perfect pair of
earrings.
“It's enough, I don't wear such things, Heer.” She looked
confused in the mirror. “I am not looking like me. I should, right, Heer? Heer!”
“Oh, Miss Ajabdeh Punwar!” Her sister stopped searching “Ma
Baba instructed me to dress you up decently so that Ranisa likes you instantly!”
“That is true," Ajabdeh smiled proudly, "If I reveal my true personality, the groom will reject me, which is fine. I don't want to get married either!” Oh My God, Perfect Plan!!!!
"Don't you dare sabotage this?" Heer warned, hiding her smile. "Maa was telling Baba that they are very respected in Surajgarh."
" A royal family and its queen in this century! God knows we may need a time machine to match their mentality, Heer. I am happy here," Ajabdeh made a face.
"Oh, Jija, your dramas are like a princess isn't that enough?" Heer smiled at her sibling.
“ Heer Beta?” Her mother called softly, knocking on the door.
“Maa, Jija is ready.” Heer smiled, opening the door as
Hansa looked mesmerised at how pretty her older one looked. Ajabdeh gave a
confused look, making her mother roll her eyes. “Heer, bring the tea .” She took
her older daughter’s hand, adjusting her dupatta. "It’s time Ajabdeh meets her in-laws.”
“Ji Maa.”
The elegant living space was lit up with a well-furnished
sofa set and abstract art on the wall.
“All these paintings are Heer's.” Her father’s
words were heard as Heer frowned.
“Oh, I told him to praise only Ajabdeh. What if they end up liking Heer?” Hansa
spoke under her breath, making both girls glare at each other.
“Maybe he didn't find anything praiseworthy.” Ajabdeh’s murmur made Heer slap her
hands softly.
“Here she comes.” Hansa entered smiling as Heer placed down
the tray on the table and stared at the people sitting on the sofa.
A man about
fifty, in his grey suit, elegant, seemed to feel a little awkward smiling. His
wife's elegance spoke well, from the way she carried herself. Her smile
seemed more genuine, friendly and excited. Her eyes travelled to the guy
sitting on the separate sofa.
Is he the groom? Seems handsome. He stared at her with slight discomfort as she looked away and quickly took her place beside her Jija.
Is she the bride? She
seems much younger than twenty-four. Shakti frowned in his thoughts. She is prettier, though, than that one. He
looked away as the other one gave him a cold stare. She seems scary.
“This is Heer. And that’s my darling Ajabdeh.” Ajabdeh
stared as her father completely fake-smiled. She managed a smile as the woman
patted the seat next to her “Come and sit here. Ajabdeh right? Beautiful name,
Hansa.” Somehow, her smile was so warm and welcoming that Ajabdeh felt comfortable.
“This is Shakti. Pratap’s younger brother.”
Not the groom? Heer
gulped.
This is the bride, not
her? Shakti looked up at Heer and realised she was looking his way as he
awkwardly looked away.
“Ajabdeh Beta, tell us your hobbies?”
“Actually, I….” Ajabdeh opened her mouth to be interrupted by
Hansa.
“Cooking.” Hein? Ajabdeh stared at her mother like she was
some alien.
“Sewing, knitting… she loves kids… she has keen eyes for all household chores…” Hein?? What the hell is she saying? Ajabdeh
glared helplessly at Heer as she gestured at her to keep quiet.
“Pratap loves kids too; he loves spending time at home with the family, and even insists I go with him on business trips…” Udai Singh stopped as Shakti choked on his tea. That was everything but
Dadabhai.
Eww boring.
Ajabdeh sighed. Why would such a guy like me!
“What happened, Beta?” Hansa asked worriedly as Shakti coughed.
“I will bring some water.” Heer turned to leave.
“No, I'm fine.” He stopped her.
“Ajabdeh, how far have you studied?” Udai
Singh asked, sipping on his coffee.
“Literature…” She was about to start when Ramrakh spoke, “She did qualify for a good engineering college but chose to study literature….”
“Pratap reads a lot. “ Jaivanta smiled. Shakti
smiled faintly, clearing his throat. Sure, he does…
“So why couldn't he come….” Ramrakh smiled at Udai, “Pratap?”
“ Woh… actually," Shakti cleared his throat.
“Business meeting.”
“Friend's bachelor's trip.”
Udai and Jaivanta stared at each other.
“Umm… he actually went on a Business trip and then his friends surprised him there, so he got stuck.” Shakti smiled as his parents nodded.
“We like Ajabdeh.” Jaivanta smiled as Udai
nodded in approval “The kids should meet now. Once Pratap comes back, we will make them meet. We always wanted a daughter-in-law who would be an equal partner to him and take care of the home...”
Ajabdeh and Heer exchanged a doomed look that caught
Shakti’s attention.
“Please have some snacks.” Hansa
pushed the plate of snacks to Udai happily.
“Heer, Ajab, do give Shakti a tour of our humble home,”
Ramrakh spoke to his favourite daughter.
“Ji.” Heer smiled, taking Ajabdeh’s hand.
“Hi, I am Shakti.” He smiled, relieved, in the corridor away
from the elders.
“Ajabdeh.” She shook his hand.
“Heer.” She waved a Hi.
“So where should we start?” Heer walked ahead as Shakti
looked around.
“The roof.” He murmured.
“Ji?” The girls looked confused.
“Ji.”
The roof was nicely decorated with artificial grass, pots in
bloom, garden chairs, and a Jhula.
“Can I offer you anything? Juice?” Heer offered Shakti a seat; he didn’t
take it.
“Look.” Shakti looked around, speaking to Ajabdeh. “My Dadabhai is nothing like what's been said."
“What?” Ajabdeh asked, widening her eyes. “What do you mean?”
“He’s not at all a boring, serious guy.
He parties, dates, works hard and enjoys life. In fact, he never reads, and he never said he likes kids.” Heer frowned at him, confused.
“Why are you telling us this?” She asked what Ajabdeh wanted
to do.
“'Coz I don’t know how this works and why my parents are
lying, but I feel a relationship shouldn't start with a lie, it's a lifetime thing.”
“Oh, my god.” Ajabdeh’s amusement as she gasped, placing her hand on her mouth, surprised the duo. “Shakti, right? I like you, man! What do you think? My parents were all truthful?”
“Ji?” He looked confused.
Heer spoke up, “Jija never liked cooking….
In fact, she likes travelling, partying and everything that is not approved by our parents, she goes on trips and….”
Heer smiled while she spoke.
“What do you like?” Shakti stopped her.
“Ji?” Heer looked wide-eyed.
“I'm sorry… I meant umm… in fact, Dadabhai doesn't even know we are here or that Ranima is thinking of a wedding.” He looked at both the girls as an amused
Ajabdeh stared, smiling at him. “But my Dadabhai is a gem, he has a heart of gold that doesn't get impressed with anyone so easily.”
“My Jija didn't know as well; she was told minutes before you arrived.” Heer shrugged, amused.
"Otherwise, I would have run off.” Ajabdeh sat down on the Jhula, making Shakti smile.
“This is so strange.” He inferred.
“What is?” Ajabdeh smiled.
“You sound just like him... I like you.” He smiled, although the last words were spoken, looking at
someone else before he left. “I should go, I hope Dadabhai agrees to meet you once.”
“He seems nice,” Heer murmured.
“What? No, No!” Heer shook her head, alarmed as Ajabdeh chuckled.
“No? Am I blind, Heer?"
“Jija ?” Heer smiled excitedly, taking a seat beside her on the Jhula, “Pratap Singh seems
interesting. Right? Meet him once?”
.png)
