A Lot Can Happen Over Coffee

“You taught me a secret language I can’t speak with anyone else.” ~ Illicit Affairs


Pratap did not expect the call he received from an unknown number. Her voice sounded different, and he realised it had been seven years, if not more, since the last time. Samaira wanted to meet him. She wanted him to keep it discreet. He wondered if she knew of his relationship status. There was no way she did not. Their vacation pictures from Paris had made quite a buzz after a collaborative Instagram post from the Eiffel Tower. It was his idea. He wanted to reclaim the narrative that the families had put out in the press about their engagement being a practical alliance for the company. He wanted the world to know he loved Ajabdeh. But Samaira sounded upset and in need of a friend. Pratap wondered if he should let Ajabdeh know of this promised meeting. But she was very busy with expansion plans lately and had late nights and work stress. He did not want her to worry about something not worth worrying about. He wondered if he should share with Jalal, but something told him the information would eventually make its way to Ajabdeh via Rukaiya. So Pratap did what he thought he would never do: stalk Samaira’s social media. She was a socialite and helped her father and brother run their business. She had moved to Miami after marrying an entrepreneur she met at a retreat and had a little girl. There were pictures of her daughter on her profile, her infant face hidden by emojis. But after last year’s Karvachaut post, most of her posts were about work in India. He wondered if something was wrong with her relationship, and that made her call him up. Pratap decided to see for himself before judging her.

Ajabdeh was too busy working with the new team hired to expand their textile business into clothing retail. They had to make designs, hire Gen Z designers who would know how to target the teen audience over social media and market the products well. She was glad for whatever reason, even if it was anger and resentment or a final acceptance of her position; Ram and Udai backed off, allowing her to work on it with her ideas. She had roped Shakti in to head the retail department. Even before the product was remotely close to production, Shakti had proposed a photoshoot.

“It can be something funky, casual, and we can actually wear our clothes and do it in our garden.” He shrugged. “Make videos or challenges on reels and let people post their videos and be part of the campaign.”

“You mean the pictures should not look professional?” Ajabdeh asked. Shakti nodded. “Yes, that’s the trend now. We will be the face of the campaign, not hired models. Our clothes should be relatable to the average kid on the block and affordable. That’s our target audience.” Ajabdeh agreed.

“But do you think we will be relatable?” She was unsure. Shakti shrugged. “Why not? Did we not do normal kid stuff when we were kids? Perhaps use some nostalgia in the shoot, blow bubbles, chew gum and stuff.” Ajabdeh looked keen as she leaned on her desk and contemplated.

“But then, a professional fashion photographer is not what we are looking for.” She shook her head as Shakti agreed. “Yes, the photos and videos should look like they were taken for our Instagram, not business. We have to come up with a hashtag to trend. I will talk to the PR.” He got up to leave when Ajabdeh stopped him. “What do you feel about Jalal doing the shoot?” Her question made Shakti glance over his shoulder. “Bhaijaan?” He asked with raised brows. “Is he even interested in such…”

“We can ask. We can offer him a freelance contract.” Ajabdeh picked up her phone and stopped. “In fact, I am sure if Pratap asks him to do it, that will be better. He may feel obligated to say yes to the campaign if I ask and Rukaiya intervenes. But with Pratap, he can refuse more easily if he wants to.”

“Your brain has been running at twice the speed since your vacation.” Shakti teased. “What did Dadabhai do to you?”

“And you are dismissed.” Ajabdeh shook her head and turned away, ignoring his tone. “Tell Pratap to see me in the office.”

“I was going to say something dirty, but I may lose my job, so I won’t,” Shakti smirked before he walked away. 


Ajabdeh twirled a little on her wheeled desk chair, envisioning the campaign Shakti wanted. It was a good idea. Shakti should make more independent decisions for the label. She wondered if she should bring it up at Sunday lunch. Since the engagement, the families were having Sunday lunches together, and the talk of a grand wedding and the show-off they expected made her feel somewhat suffocated. All she wanted was to spend the rest of her life with Pratap, build this company together and grow old in oblivion, but that was not to be. Pratap did understand her concern about being in the public eye all the time, but he often took it as part of his job for the company. Sometimes it upset Ajabdeh because their relationship was not part of the job or a deal, and she wanted to keep a lot of things private. If they went out on dates or attended a charity together, she hated how all eyes were on them, analysing their every mood and expression, and the tabloids were more interested in their personal relationship and the wedding than the cause she presented herself for. She wanted them to attend separate charities and causes, and that, too, did not work. Everyone seemed to invite them as a unit. A part of Ajabdeh was feeling suffocated in that, like her identity was lost in them. Her ideas and separate entity needed to be protected. To make matters worse, the parents insisted it was good PR, and she suspected that wherever Paps arrived to interfere with their private outings, they were perhaps informed by their own PRs. She craved a holiday again when she would be truly alone with Pratap. Perhaps an annual trip to Sarangpura would do, but she did not want to mention it now that the family always wanted to come along.


The phone rang as she picked it up after two rings, and frowned a little. Pratap was not in his chamber, and his personal secretary had no idea where he was. He kept a slot of two hours open post-lunch and told him it was a personal matter.  He was told by Shakti to report the same to Ajabdeh, as he thought she knew where he was. Ajabdeh frowned a little. Personal matters did not make Pratap Singh Sisodiya take off from work hours. What was it that could not wait? She decided to ask him about it that night.


Pratap sipped on his coffee and could not help but notice how fidgety and nervous Samaira was. She looked thinner than her social media pictures and not as well-groomed as he remembered her to be.

“I saw the news about your engagement.” She cleared her throat, making him smile. “I’m happy for you.”

“Thank you.” Pratap smiled. His phone was kept on the table, top up, and it blinked with a WhatsApp message as the screen lit up with a wallpaper of Ajabdeh from the photoshoot. He eyed the message from Ajabdeh, asking where he was, as he turned the phone down and asked Samaira,

“I honestly did not expect you to call me.” He said truthfully. “Is there anything I can help with?”

“I… have no friends here… who would not judge me.” Samaira cleared her throat, eyeing the ring on Pratap’s finger. Pratap nodded at her words.

“And you think I won’t judge you?” A faint smile appeared at the edge of Samaira’s lips as he asked. 

“I don’t care if you do. You have been a good listener, so I…” Samaira cleared her throat. Pratap narrowed his brows a little.

“What is happening? Are you okay?”

“No, I am not. My husband… used to be abusive. I walked away with my daughter, and now he is threatening me.”

“How is he threatening you?” Pratap asked. “If he is the abuser and…” Samaira cleared her throat. “ I was a housewife before I rejoined my family business a few months ago. We have been financially dependent on him. He wants my child.” Samaira choked. “And I can’t lose her to the monster.”

“Okay, did you ever call Law enforcement on him when he was abusive?” Samaira shook her head. “I was on a visa, and my daughter was born there. I was scared that if they knew it was an abusive home, they would take her away.” Samaira shook her head. “I always thought I ticked him off to do what he did to me. But then he raised his hand on her on our last trip back here…”

“Samaira.” Pratap looked a little taken aback. “I never imagined you to be someone who would tolerate such ill treatment.” He realised his tone was judgmental as he checked himself. Samaira smiled faintly. “I have been going from lawyer to lawyer, looking for my way out…” She held her forehead with both hands. “Everyone in the family only cares for the family name and reputation, and not me. I am so tired of the same conversation day and night. I have panic attacks, and I thought it would be better to talk to someone with an outside perspective on it.” He nodded at her words. “I understand… when your parents and siblings don’t understand you, it is kind of… overwhelming.” Samaira looked up at him, observant of his words. “So, yours don’t get along with you, too?” Pratap chuckled. “Well, ever since we assumed our positions and the fathers retired, they can’t seem to truly keep their noses off our business.” Pratap shrugged. “Ajab has a tougher time than I do. They have a lot of expectations of her.” He smiled involuntarily as he mentioned her. Samaira asked, “So, was the engagement their idea?” Pratap shook his head. 

“No. It took us a lot to convince them.” He smiled. For a moment, he wanted to tell Samaira he was married. But then, such sources that were weak in their own mess were known to leak news. He could not afford it. “But I’m glad at least Ajab and I are a unit.”

“See, it worked out fine in the end.” Samaira smiled. “You were scared for nothing.” Pratap shrugged.

“I guess so.”


Ajabdeh eyed his bedroom light lit up from her room as she texted him to meet her by the poolside. She walked there in her lounge shorts and matching shirt as he stood waiting. Her approaching him with a narrowed, cold glance made him smile faintly as he faced her.

“What is it, Madam?” He asked with a teasing smile. “You want to go for a swim?” She ignored his comment as she asked, “Where were you today?” Pratap’s smile faded a little. Samaira had requested him not to tell anyone that they had met. It was a way to save her from further humiliation at the hands of her estranged husband, who could accuse her of adultery for meeting her most famous ex-boyfriend. “I…” He looked away slightly. He hated lying to Ajabdeh, but he had promised. “I met a friend who needed help.”

“With his business?” Ajabdeh assumed it was one of his schoolmates, and he let her. She assumed it was a professional meeting, and he let her. Pratap nodded reluctantly as she shrugged. “Anyway, the reason I was looking for you…” She sat down on the deck chair, and he followed to sit on another one facing her.

“I… Shakti and I were discussing advertising our clothing label.” Pratap narrowed his brows a little. “So soon?” Ajabdeh shrugged. “Social Media Managers said we should get the people talking about it. Hashtag and all. They want a campaign online, and Shakti suggests it should look relatable and not like a professional announcement of brand labels.” She explained the idea as he listened ardently, smiling with observation as she moved her hands and spoke passionately. 

“So you want to give Jalal his big break?” Pratap asked, making Ajabdeh stop. “That sounds like we are trying to help him kickstart his career.” Ajabdeh shrugged. Pratap asked, “Are we?”

“No. I have seen his work, and I think he would fit the job. There is no harm in working with people we know and building relations. Maybe in the future, if this works out, we can work with him again. If not, then…” She stopped as Pratap smiled.

“So we are helping him, just not admitting it.” He shrugged. Ajabdeh sighed. 

“Rukaiya is worried. We can’t tell him that. He believes she has undying faith in his abilities, and if we say that, it would create issues we don’t want. But she said he doesn’t have as many clients as he expected in Agra, and he is thinking of shifting base again. She wants…” Pratap stopped Ajabdeh by holding her hand. “You are a good friend.” Ajabdeh smiled at him.

“So are you. Hence, you will pick up the phone and give him a call with the offer.”

“Why can’t you?” Pratap asked, narrowing his brows. “He won’t say no to you.”

“Exactly, that is why.” Ajabdeh shrugged. “Rukaiya might feel it was because of what she shared with me in confidence, and I don’t want that to come in the way of our friendship. Besides, I want him to have the chance of refusing us if he feels that is not the right path for him.” Pratap nodded. “He will feel no obligation to reject me.” He chuckled. Ajabdeh held her hand in his. “Hence. Ask him, and if he says yes, we can have a meeting with him. Shakti and I would share our vision then.” Pratap nodded at her words. 

“Do you think Shakti can take on as much responsibility as you are handing him?” He asked sceptically. Ajabdeh nodded. “In fact, in the next board meeting, I have the desire to propose that he leads the clothing label.”

“Ajab…” Pratap seemed unsure. “He just started.”

“So? We all just started.” Ajabdeh shrugged. “Trust me.” Her words made Pratap skip a heartbeat. She was about to leave when he held her back by her hand. “Ajab, do you trust me?” Ajabdeh turned with a lingering smile that turned to confusion as she asked, “What kind of question is that?”

“A genuine one. You believe I do everything I do with our best interest in mind?” He pulled her closer by her waist as she nodded, keeping her left hand on his chest. The rock on her finger shone in the darkness and footlights. 

“Of course I do. I would not have married you if I did not.” She shrugged. Pratap hugged her. Ajabdeh found the hug tighter and longer than when he usually hugged her.

“Is something wrong?” She asked, unsurely, as Pratap shook his head. “No, nothing.” He kissed her forehead. “Goodnight.”


Jalal checked his portfolio and sighed. He had met Shakti to reflect on his idea for the campaign, and Shakti seemed to like his input. But Ajabdeh had to fly to Bangalore for an investor meeting that day, so he decided to present his folio and ideas to her once again, now that she was back. He was in Delhi for the weekend, while his parents planned a wedding, and Rukaiya was happy at his surprise when he told her about the project. He was unsure whether Pratap wanted to hire him because he was a friend, but he hoped he was qualified for the job. He hoped Ajabdeh would be more critical and upfront with his work. She had agreed to meet him at a cafe that evening. He watched the rain pour as he waited for her, wondering if she would think of cancelling the meeting. He had another assignment to go back to Agra on Monday, and he did not want to make the Sisodiya Punwar project wait.

“I’m sorry, I'm late.” Ajabdeh entered like a storm, apologising as she breathed in, her hair a little wet, as she dropped her purse on the table. Jalal stood up, realising he had not met her since her engagement, and neither had he told her that Rukaiya and he wanted to move to Udaipur. There was a lot to catch up on personally, but he had to remind himself he was here for professional reasons. 

“It’s fine. The downpour just got heavy.” He smiled as she nodded and took the chair. “And the horrible traffic.” She shook her head. “Mind if I order first?” Jalal smiled as he shook his head. “Go ahead.” He watched her order her fries with extra Chilli, a croissant and a cup of coffee. She turned to ask him what he wanted, and he stuck to a cappuccino. “So…” He cleared his throat as she removed the bag from the table, and he eyed the huge rock on her finger. Definitely not her choice, maybe not even Pratap’s. “I have my portfolio and…” Ajabdeh made him stop by putting her manicured hands out.

“No. Stop.” She shook her head. “You have been approved by Pratap and Shakti, and I don’t want to do that part again.” She said firmly with a smile, “So let’s skip to brainstorming ideas.”

“Are you sure?” Jalal asked sceptically. “I heard that the boss lady has the ultimate say.” Ajabdeh smiled at his words. “The boss lady will not lead this project. Shakti will. I trust his instincts.” Jalal inhaled. “Okay, let’s do this. I have some ideas.”

A croissant, two cups of coffee and fries later, Ajabdeh was satisfied with the outcome of the discussed project. 

“So when do you want it done?” He asked as Ajabdeh shrugged. “Any weekend we are all free for the shoot will be fine for me. Mind you, I am very uncomfortable in these, so maybe you should take Shakti and Heer’s pictures.”

“You are the face of the company. You have to be there.” Jalal shrugged. “Both Pratap and Shakti think that.”

“But… I… there were some photographers for the… umm…” Ajabdeh shook her head as Jalal smiled. “Engagement pictures? I have seen them,” he nodded.

“Oh, you saw the best four. Not the worst forty.” Ajabdeh shrugged. “I look terrible.”

“You just look conscious.” Jalal reminded her. “I think it also depends on the photographer to make you feel comfortable. Work with me and see.” Ajabdeh was amused at his confidence.

“Is this how you talk with all your clients?” Ajabdeh asked as Jalal shook his head. “If I know them, yes.” Ajabdeh smiled, putting away the files. “So, how is everything?”

“I wanted to ask you the same. We haven’t had the time to catch up.” Ajabdeh nodded at his words.

“Yes, we went on a trip.” She said consciously as Jalal nodded. “How was Paris?”

“Beautiful. I spent most of my time in the museum.” Ajabdeh smiled.

“Bet he did not like that.” Jalal chuckled as Ajabdeh agreed. “He sulked, but who is listening to him?” She shrugged. “And what about you… And Rukaiya?”

“She wants to…” Jalal cleared his throat, unsure of how to put it right. He had not even told his parents or Pratap. “Move.”

“Move?” Ajabdeh frowned. “Where?”

“She wants the business expansion in Udaipur…” He made her nod.

“I was aware of that, not that she wanted to move.” Ajabdeh looked a little surprised. “Rukaiya has always been so comfortable in her surroundings.”

“Hence, I want to move in with her. We can’t let her deal with a new city alone. She is still seeing her therapist and is specifically told to avoid overwhelming things.” Jalal sounded like he cared, and Ajabdeh liked that. She nodded. “Will your parents agree to you moving in without the nuptials?”

“Well…” He shrugged as Ajabdeh looked wide-eyed. “Ah, so you did take my advice.”

“I guess it was the right thing to do.” Jalal shrugged. “It felt so.” Ajabdeh nodded. “If you ever hurt my friend…”

“Excuse me?” Jalal’s brows shot up. “Am I not your friend?” Ajabdeh nodded. “If I ever have to choose, it will always be her over you. So remember that when you screw up.”

“Yes, Ma’am.” Jalal acted like he was sulking as Ajabdeh shrugged. “Don’t act like you won’t choose Pratap over me.” Ajabdeh chuckled as Jalal shook his head. “I don’t think I will need to, but if I do, I will choose whichever side is right.”

“Right and wrong are perspectives, Jalal.”Ajabdeh shrugged. “They change, especially depending on whose point of view you see it from.”

“O wise one, did you read that in a book?” Jalal taunted as Ajabdeh narrowed her eyes. “As a matter of fact, I did.” She nodded, making him laugh as she slapped his hand. “Stop that.” She chuckled.

“This was good; we should hang out more often.” The moment Jalal said it, he was a little conscious of how Ajabdeh might perceive him, but she smiled and agreed. “We should. I haven’t laughed like that in a long time.”

“What’s going on, Punwar?” Jalal asked, “Parents getting on your nerves?”

“That.” Ajabdeh nodded. “And work. There is always too much to do, too little time and absolutely no alone time with Pratap. You know how private I am as a person…” Jalal nodded as she sighed. “Lately, no matter where we go, paps just show up, and I don’t like it.”

“Do you think someone close to you tips them off?” Ajabdeh nodded at Jalal’s words. “Of course, it's good for business.” She grunted.

“Why don’t you tell Pratap that it overwhelms you?”

“First of all, we need privacy for that, which we don’t have. I don’t like having such discussions at home or at work. And he will not understand what the big deal is. He will remind me that I agreed to the drama by the engagement thing.” Ajabdeh stopped as Jalal nodded. “I get it.”

“Tell me something honestly, do you think we made a mistake by agreeing to hide the… thing for a year?” She whispered. Jalal leaned in. “Do you think you made a mistake?” Ajabdeh shook her head. “No, Pratap thought so.”

“He is allowed to have his own opinion, and so do you. Don’t let his opinion cloud yours in self-doubt.” Jalal shrugged. “That’s not the Ajab I know.” Ajabdeh cleared her throat,

“Is Rukaiya doing better at therapy?” 

“She doesn’t like to talk about it much, but I think she is. In fact, she tells us that she shares everything with her therapist before us. The sessions are really making her feel more confident. You should have seen her pitch expansion to the board.” There was a hint of pride in Jalal’s voice that made Ajabdeh smile.

“There’s another thing I want you to find out.” Ajabdeh’s serious tone made Jalal nod.

“I think Pratap is lying to me.” Jalal looked surprised at her words. 

“Lying to you? How?” Ajabdeh could see from his reaction that he, too, was in the dark and not acting like it.

“Well,” Ajabdeh leaned in. “Lately, he keeps getting out of the office once or twice a week to meet a friend he claims to help. He doesn’t share anything else.”

“Maybe because it's not any of your business.” Jalal shrugged. “Punwar, you taught me there should be space and trust between people.”

“I know. Okay? But something feels off.” Ajabdeh shook her head.

“Are you bothered because he is not involving you and you expected him to?” Jalal observed her. “When people are newly married, they…”

“All I expect is not to be lied to.” Ajabdeh snapped.

“I tell you what, we are meeting next weekend for the shoot. I will ask him what you were talking about and see what he says, okay? I assure you it's probably nothing.” Jalal made Ajabdeh nod.


Popular posts from this blog

New Worlds

Misunderstandings

Copyright Disclaimer

© Suranya Sengupta Raabta (2013-2026) All Rights Reserved. All original content on this website Raabta including writings, stories, poetry, historical fiction, articles, and other intellectual property (collectively, "Content") is the exclusive property of Suranya Sengupta and protected under the Indian Copyright Act, 1957, as amended, and applicable international copyright conventions, including the Berne Convention.Personal, non-commercial viewing and reading for private use is permitted. Without prior express written consent from the copyright holder, the following uses are strictly prohibited: (i) reproduction, distribution, adaptation, or creation of derivative works from the Content; (ii) scraping, data mining, crawling, or automated extraction; (iii) use of Content to train, fine-tune, or develop artificial intelligence models, machine learning algorithms, large language models (LLMs), or any generative AI technologies; and (iv) any commercial exploitation whatsoever.Unauthorized use constitutes copyright infringement and may result in civil and criminal penalties, including but not limited to demands for statutory damages, actual damages, profits, and injunctive relief. For licensing inquiries or permissions, contact the author Last updated: February 4, 2026.