A Challenge
“ I like shiny things, but I will marry you with a paper ring.” - Paper Ring.
Ajabdeh Punwar could not tell why she was feeling guilty when she saw four pairs of eyes on her, satisfied when she stated she did the “needful.” She believed in her heart that she had, no matter what Pratap tried to convince her. She was not going to fall for it again. Well, Ajab, you said it the last time, didn’t you? She lay with her face in her pillow, heart sinking, stomach churning, wondering what she would do. She had not strongly refused Pratap when she should have. How could she after he… Ajabdeh inhaled. But she could not betray her parents? Could she? How bad would it be if she kept her word to them and stayed away from him? She closed her eyes, and the memories of Jodhpur came haunting back. His taste on her lips, his touch on her skin. Ajabdeh jolted, as if to do away with the thoughts. She sat up, opened her laptop and began to work. Work was the only way she could prove her genuine commitment to her job. She had not met Pratap since she had avoided his text, enquiring about what she said to the parents and even the one saying “Good Job.” She had avoided calling him even when she had the strong urge to. All she had to do was continue being this strong, especially when Rukaiya and Jalal got engaged. Once that was done, she could go to Sarangpur alone for a few days and take the time to think.
Udai Singh was not convinced by what his wife believed to be their firstborn’s genuine apology for his impulsiveness. This was his first mistake as a son, and Udai Singh had forgiven him. But when he was reluctant to talk to Rajkumari Rathore, his suspicion grew. He started observing them tiptoeing around each other in boardrooms and conferences. They never shared pleasantries and never exchanged words. It worried him.
Ajabdeh shook the hand of the investor for their expansion idea and led him out of her office. What she did not expect was Udai Singh to be there that day. He was around more than she liked, even though he had resigned from his position. His judgmental stares hovering over her every move made Ajabdeh feel uneasy. She was not trusted. She realised that. As soon as the investor made his way to the elevator, Udai Singh knocked on her door.
“Who was that?” Ajabdeh did not get up from her desk like she usually did at his arrival. Instead, she frowned slightly, asking what he was talking about.
“He was here to talk about our expansion plans. I thought I should give some investors a heads up if we want to expand into retail and …”
“But there is no plan, no infrastructure or alliances yet.” Udai Singh frowned. “What have we got to show him, except some ideas as good as stories on a piece of paper?” Ajabdeh inhaled.
“No offence, but now, businesses are more about PR, showing off and projecting ideas even before execution.” She said in a monotonous tone, before going back to typing something on her computer. Udai Singh inhaled. She was letting him know that his ideas were outdated. He would not take it.
“Did you know Ajabdeh is talking to investors about retail expansions?” Udai Singh asked as he stormed into his son’s chamber, and Pratap stood up with narrowed brows.
“What?” He asked, cluelessly. “No… I… she hasn’t talked to me since…” He stopped, because he wondered why she hadn’t. Was she not convinced about his plan, or was she acting too well? He had spent the last weeks looking up discreet registrars and speaking about procedure with some of his trusted friends. Was she having doubts?
“I don’t understand.” Udai Singh sat down on the chair as Pratap sank back on his, eyeing his worried father. “She never discusses anything with us.”
“Umm…” Pratap cleared his throat. “No offence, Dad, but you have left your chair. I don’t think she is liable to tell you everything that happens around here unless it's a board meeting.” Udai Singh looked up at his firstborn.
“I would have let it go had I found her credible.” He retorted. Pratap inhaled as he leaned in and lowered his voice.
“Look, Dad, you trained her yourself. And you never doubted her till…” He stopped as his father eyed him. “It was my fault, as I said. She had nothing to do with it, I coaxed her. And like you said, if you want me to leave…”
“Don’t be stupid enough to take all the blame.” Udai rebuked. “She is adult enough to know what she is doing.”
“Right?” Pratap had a smile on the edge of his lips. “Then believe her and her strategies for the company. If you don’t, how will the employees?” He shrugged. Udai Singh stood up to leave. Something in the way Pratap defended her bothered him.
Rukaiya observed Ajabdeh’s unreadable face as she sipped the hot coffee from the large mug. They were sitting at a cafe, looking over a garden, and the pouring rain was making a pattern on the glass pane beside them. Between them lay pictures from the event manager on the various looks they could choose for the event. Ajabdeh had shortlisted some Shararas and insisted they go shopping together.
“Are you alright?” Rukaiya finally asked, “Pratap told Jalal what happened.” Ajabdeh’s heart skipped a beat. “What did he say?” She asked, trying to sound nonchalant about it.
“That you were forced to break up. I’m sorry.” Rukaiya placed her hand on Ajabdeh’s as she forced a smile.
“I am fine. Rukaiya. I truly am.” She shook her head. “I don’t know what I was thinking.”
“I saw the damage control article in the newspaper.” Rukaiya tried to sound light-hearted as Ajabdeh looked up at her words. She had no clue about what Rukaiya was saying.
There was an article in the same daily that carried their photos that said the Sisodiyas were looking for an alliance for their firstborn, and the group was going to expand into retail. Eyewitnesses from the Phool Kanwar Birthday Bash said something was brewing between them.
“Are they really considering her for Pratap?” Rukaiya enquired. Ajabdeh shrugged, “I don’t know. I have been shunned from family talks, and Shakti is still upset with me.”
“Okay, first things first.” Rukaiya shook her head and cleared the table. “Let's talk to Shakti.” Ajabdeh objected mildly, reminding her they were here for her.
“I will not get engaged if two of my best friends are not talking to each other.” She was firm on it.
“What do you expect me to say?” Shakti shrugged as Rukaiya eyed him and Ajabdeh. They were sitting in the car, driven by Shakti, near the India Gate late at night. Rukaiya tried to observe Ajabdeh from the back seat. “Since you agreed to come here, might as well hear me out.”
“I came here because Ruqs lied that she wants to talk.” Shakti eyed Rukaiya. “I don’t want to speak to you.”
“Oh, please.” Rukaiya scolded. “Don’t be a baby.” She made Shakti sigh. “Hear her out, she is in enough trouble already.” Shakti was about to say that what he thought did not matter when Ajabdeh started sobbing, alarming them both.
“I know I lied, I know I made a mistake. But why am I losing everyone for it?” Shakti looked wide-eyed at Ajabdeh.
“Whoa.” He shook his head, “When did I say you lost me? When did I say you made a mistake?” Ajabdeh stared at him with disappointment.
“You don’t even want to see me.” She fisted her palm and hit his upper arm, amusing Rukaiya, who pressed her lips as Shakti looked even more taken aback.
“Excuse me for expecting my best friend to at least tell me she is dating my brother.” He shrugged. “I told you about Heer and…”
“Oh, please.” Rukaiya intervened. “Such a liar, Ajab confronted you.”
“Fine.” Shakti shrugged. “What do you want me to say?”
“It does not matter.” Ajabdeh wiped away her tears “Take me home. Maasa will not be pleased if she sees I went out.”
“Come on, we are not in school anymore. You can’t be grounded for dating…” Shakti shook his head. “Are you?” Ajabdeh sighed. Shakti patted her head. “Come on, we know that they will come around eventually. Everyone is just overreacting.” He tried to sound convincing as Rukaiya nodded. They watched Ajabdeh shake her head. “They will not.”
“You will just let go of each other then?” Shakti frowned. “After all this time, when you finally are together?” His questions were met with silence as he turned to Ajabdeh.
“Ajab, no.” He shook his head. “They don’t know how long you have had these feelings…” Rukaiya nodded as he eyed her.
“Nothing matters over the company’s future, Shakti.” Ajabdeh sniffed. Shakti looked miffed.
“So, you will end things, just like that?” He asked. Ajabdeh looked away. “I don’t know.” Something was reassuring in her uncertainty as he exchanged glances with Rukaiya, who smiled.
“What’s wrong with you?” Pratap finally cornered Ajabdeh in the corridor of Jalal’s engagement venue, as she frowned at him. Her hair was done in soft waves, complementing her light yellow sharara and a heavy necklace. She eyed him in the black sherwani, looking handsome as she sighed.
“What can be wrong?” She retorted.
“Have you reconciled with Shakti?” He enquired as she nodded, “He was upset because I kept him in the loop. I told him what I told the parents.” Her voice was emotionless.
“You have been avoiding me.” He shrugged. Ajabdeh inhaled. Pratap narrowed his brows at her keenly, waiting for her to speak. Ajabdeh was suddenly aware of their proximity and how, to a potential bystander, they would look like a couple in tryst. The last thing she wanted was another Paparazzi photograph.
“Because you screwed things up, remember?” Ajabdeh tried to sound normal.
“I… Ajab… are you actually doing this or acting? I can’t tell. It scares me.” He shook his head, suspiciously. “You have been avoiding me.”
“I don’t know. Pratap. I really need time to think.” She looked away.
“What do you mean by time to think? Are you seriously reconsidering what we discussed?” He stepped forward, making her step back as she shook her head.
“We are going to hurt our parents,” She said firmly.
“So it's okay if they hurt us?” He shook his head. “That’s your logic?” He shrugged. A song was being played inside as Ajabdeh checked her watch.
“Can we concentrate on Rukaiya’s engagement?” She asked. “It’s their day.”
“I am not letting you go this easily. I am telling you this firmly.” Pratap retorted. Ajabdeh was about to leave when he added, “I have been talking to a registrar and a lawyer about the legality of things.” Ajabdeh stopped, alarmed. She did not think he had it in him to rebel against his parents, no matter what he promised her.
“Please, the foundation’s school launch is next month, Ranima and Maa would be there, and I don’t want to talk about all this; there’s a lot on my plate right now.” She reasoned. “You know how important it is for me.”
“And this is not?” Pratap shook his head. “You know how dad wants me to meet Phool again, how long do I stall him and with what?”
“Don’t stall him then.” Ajabdeh retorted. “Meet her.” She was about to go when Pratap held her back by her wrist firmly, making her jolt.
“My lawyer asked if we should do a prenup?” His question angered her.
“Are you not hearing me, Pratap? I am not interested…” Ajabdeh could not finish her sentence as he pulled her by her hand in an embrace. She tried to resist and push him away before she found herself submitting in the warmth of his forceful hug. She could feel his breath on her neck as her throat felt dry.
“Don’t do this.” She whispered. He could hear the overwhelming tone in which she spoke. Pratap let go of the embrace as his hand rested on her waist, and he observed her eyes. “Don’t cry.” He shook his head with a reassuring smile.
“What am I supposed to do?” She asked, “I have never felt so lack of control in my own life.” Pratap gently let go of her waist as she shook her head. “My parents want one thing, you want another, and where am I in all this? What about what I want?”
“What do you want?” He asked, a little scared. Ajabdeh sighed. “I want to prove my worth to the company.”
“You will do that. I am there to help you. That is not going to be hampered…” He reassured her.
“It is being hampered, Pratap.” She shook her head. “I don’t like lying to them. I don’t like tiptoing around you.” She looked up at his endearing smile.
“Then don’t.” He kissed her temple gently. “I am here.” Ajabdeh stepped back from his embrace.
“Let’s talk after…” She made him nod as he gently let go of her hand. It took Ajabdeh a lot of strength not to glance back at him as he watched her leave.
When Ajabdeh walked into the room where the women had gathered, and Rukaiya was ready in her outfit, she could not take her eyes off her friend. “You look absolutely stunning.” She smiled as Rukaiya hugged her. “I am glad you are here early.” She eyed her mother, and Hamida exchanged unsure glances. She knew that both of them expected Ajabdeh to give the event a skip. But Rukaiya knew Ajabdeh would be by her side no matter what.
“I have something to talk to you about,” Ajabdeh whispered to Rukaiya amidst the chaos. “ About Pratap.” Rukaiya frowned slightly at her words as she inquired back, “What about him?” Ajabdeh was unsure. At that moment, one of Jalal’s cousins came to inform the ladies that they were being asked to go out, and Rukaiya would be called soon. Ajabdeh reassured Hamida that she would bring Rukaiya herself. That prompted everyone to pile out. Rukaiya looked at her pale face, a little worried. “He wants to marry me.” Rukaiya gasped. Her newly painted mehendi-clad hands reached her cheek, amused. “What? Whoa.” Ajabdeh shook her head, apologising for saying it before Rukaiya’s big day, but she dismissed it.
“Tell me.” She insisted. “It will keep my mind off… things.” Her choice of words worried Ajabdeh. “Are you having second thoughts?” She enquired. Rukaiya smiled faintly at her words. “If you are, I can help you run.” The seriousness in Ajabdeh’s voice made her laugh slightly. “ That will be epic, you and I running away from Jalal.”
“I am not joking, Ruqs. You don’t have to do anything you don’t want to. Ever. Jalal will understand.” Ajabdeh held her hand in hers. Rukaiya nodded. “I know I have the best of friends. But tell me about you, did you say yes?”
“Should I?” Ajabdeh shook her head. “You know the drama that happened…”
“Yes,” Rukaiya nodded, “And I also know if you choose him, you have the strength to fight the world for him.”
“Does he?” Ajabdeh sounded suspicious. Rukaiya smiled.
“He would not have talked about marriage if he did not think it through.” She reassured Ajabdeh. “Do it.”
“But he… suggested…” Ajabdeh looked unsure.
“Eloping?” Rukaiya looked amused. “That’s… filmy. Too filmy for Pratap Singh for sure.” Ajabdeh watched her, laughing, amused. Before she could speak more, Shakti walked in, informing them that they were asked to walk to the hall.
“My my, Rukaiya Begum!” He gasped dramatically. “You look like a queen.” Rukaiya hit his arm playfully as he gave her his arm, and she took it with a smile.
“Chale?” She glanced over her shoulder at Ajabdeh, who nodded with a smile.
Jalal found his palms oddly sweaty as he sat in the high chair on the podium. Pratap brought him the water bottle he had asked for, and gulping down the water did not quench his thirst.
“Are you okay?” Pratap asked, confused. Jalal nodded. “What’s with you?” He said in return, “You look enthusiastic today.” Pratap smiled faintly. “I was thinking…” He remembered Ajabdeh’s words. Today was about them. “I was thinking your free days are over.” Pratap joked as Jalal eyed him keenly.
“I have known you since we were infants, and I can tell when you are lying.” He shook his head. “Do you feel I am making some sort of mistake?” Pratap was taken aback by his question. “Absolutely not.” Pratap shook his head, “Why?” He eyed Jalal. “Do you feel you are making a mistake?” Jalal opened his mouth to speak, hoping to tell Pratap that he wanted to go ahead with the wedding and did not know yet how to tell Rukaiya about it. He wanted to tell that he feared being misunderstood, but he liked the idea of being with and around her even when he was not in love. The feeling of security she gave him was something he had missed before her. But before Jalal could speak, the music played, and Shakti entered with Rukaiya.
Rukaiya found it odd to look up at Jalal as she walked up to the podium. She could feel his gaze on her and wondered if he thought she had overdone her makeup. She looked different and conscious. Pratap got down from the podium to meet Ajabdeh’s gaze briefly before she looked away, and he stood by Shakti on Jalal’s side. Sultanam gave them the rings to exchange, and that was when Rukaiya realised her hand was extremely cold. Jalal held her hand in his and realised it was cold as his was sweaty, and he looked up at her, unsurely. Rukaiya inhaled and found the strength to look up at him with a reassuring smile as he slid the ring on her finger. Rukaiya did the same as he adjusted the ring on his finger, and the parents congratulated them.
Ajabdeh stepped away from the chaat counter while Shakti indulged in a mouthful of Bhel, and looked around at the empty parking lot while she checked her phone.
“I thought they were not going to go through with it.” Pratap’s voice made her turn as she nodded. “ I thought so too.” She sounded amused. Pratap shrugged as he glanced over his shoulder. “I'd better go and bring the car, Ranima would be out any minute.” He walked down the stairs, and Ajabdeh stopped him.
“Let’s do it.” He thought he had heard wrong as he stopped and turned to see her smile faintly.
“What?” He asked to confirm. “What did you say?”
“I said, let’s do it. Let’s not fight it anymore.” She nodded. “And I don’t need a prenup unless you need it.”
“I don’t.” Pratap shook his head, happily at her. “I will see when we can…”
“But I have some conditions.” She interfered. Pratap inhaled as he shook his head. “Of course you do.” He nodded.
“I want Shakti and Rukaiya at the registry.” Pratap was surprised at her words.
“What?” He shook his head. “That’s not…”
“I hurt them once; I don’t want to hurt them again.” She was firm. “I want Rukaiya and Jalal, Shakti and Heer to be part of our big day.” Pratap nodded reluctantly.
“Don’t worry, I will talk to them. I know you won’t.” She smiled.
“I just have to find a safe place to have the registry. Any of our places, Sarangpur or even the registrar's office, is not safe to keep it a secret.” He said as Ajabdeh nodded.
“I trust you with that.” She said reassuringly.
.png)
