A Future to Plan
Cause you took me home, but you just couldn’t keep me- Bye Bye Baby.
Rukaiya was not sure about Hamida’s sudden and strange request. She was doubtful that Jalal was doing well alone in another city and wanted Rukaiya to visit him. Although she could never refuse Hamida’s request, Rukaiya was not sure what had suddenly happened for her to think that way. There was no way Hamida knew about Salima. But what if Jalal told her so and avoided telling Rukaiya because he did not want to share with her that he was genuinely upset about losing Salima because of her? Rukaiya felt a little guilty since their last conversation and decided that it would indeed be good for her to visit him in person and clear any possible air of misunderstanding. But what about her work? Humayun suggested that since she was visiting Agra, she could check out their branches there and run a thorough investigation into some fund shortage the branch had reported lately. Rukaiya was eager for the experience. She also wanted to surprise Jalal, so she forbade them from informing him.
Jalal came home to the smell of home-cooked food as he wondered what Hakim Kaka was up to.
“Kaka?” He asked, unsurely as he came out of the kitchen, “What are you cooking?”
“Not me, Baba…” He shook his head and smiled. “I am being sent to the village.” Jalal frowned a little at his words.
“Tell him the whole thing,” Rukaiya exclaimed as she walked out, with the spatula in her hand, wearing a salwar Kameez. “Tell him your daughter is sick.”
Jalal opened his mouth, a little confused at her presence, as she shook her head. “And instead of going there, you are busy feeding him Biryani.”
“But I…” Kaka looked at a confused Jalal briefly as Rukaiya turned to him.
“Please tell Kaka he can go for the weekend, and I will be here to make sure you are fed?” Rukaiya made Jalal nod. “And give him some cash.”
Jalal did as he was told and shut the door behind Kaka to turn and reach the kitchen. Rukaiya was preparing the Dum in the Biryani when he asked, “Why are you here?”
“That is what I am going to ask you.” She put the Handi on the stove and turned to him. “What did you say or do that made your mother worry?” Jalal frowned at her words, cluelessly. “I did not even speak to my mother after I spoke to you.”
Rukaiya looked surprised. “That’s odd… she…”
“Never mind, glad you are here, making Biryani.” He smiled. “ I will freshen up.” He walked to the room and walked back out, “Will you take the room? I can sleep in the living area?”
“Whatever suits you. But I am not cooking tomorrow.” She shrugged. “Tomorrow we will be exploring the city, okay?”
“As you wish, Madam.” Jalal agreed. “I will take you to a Momos joint. Salima and I…” He stopped. Rukaiya stared at him intensely.
“Are you alright?” She asked, with a hint of worry in her voice.
“Of course I am.” Jalal smiled. “You tell me, how are things?”
“I received this umm… suggestion from your father…” Rukaiya sat down on the edge of the bed, wiping the sweat off her forehead with the dupatta. “That I take up full responsibility of the branch here while he still manages it there.”
“That’s a lot of responsibilities.” Jalal sat down beside her, wondering, “Are you feeling overwhelmed?”
“I am not sure… But I feel like it is my chance to prove myself.” Rukaiya inhaled. “But moving from home again… With Therapy and…”
“This is temporary, till he says you can come back.” Jalal shrugged. “And you can stay here with me.”
Rukaiya smiled at him, “So you will sacrifice your bed beyond a weekend?”
“For you? Always.” Rukaiya shook her head, chuckling as Jalal bowed before he left for the washroom. She smiled to herself, realising that she had been feeling unsure about managing an entire zone of the business after managing the office, and Jalal’s faith in her always put her at ease.
“You know what?” He came back out after a shower, wiping his head, as she looked up at him. “I will cook for you.” She laughed. Jalal continued, “You are, after all, my guest. What about I make some dessert today?”
“Some Firni will be nice,” Rukaiya suggested.
“Great, I will do that.” Jalal entered the kitchen to check the ingredients.
“If I fail at my career, I will cook and clean your home, Rukaiya,” Jalal said as she appeared behind him at the kitchen counter. “I will be your all-in-one manager.”
“And you will expect a salary?” Rukaiya asked.
“Of course, accommodation too.” He made her smile.
“Let’s see how good you are then.” She nodded.
“Or I can just live off your money. And the money you make for our company.” He shrugged.
“Ah, that’s the Jalal I know.” Rukaiya taunted. He narrowed his eyes at her as he smelled the Biryani, pretending to faint by the smell as Rukaiya laughed, pushing him aside playfully while she checked the food.
Ajabdeh entered her home to find everyone seated in the living area of her house as the mothers enquired about Sarangpura. She informed them that Pratap had some work pending, but since her work was done, she decided to come home. She could see Shakti eyeing her as she stated so and excused herself for being tired after the long journey. As she was about to go up the stairs, Shakti stopped her.
“Everything is fine?” He sounded worried.
“Of course, why wouldn’t it be?” Ajabdeh shrugged with half a smile. She looked tired, and Shakti eyed her suspiciously.
“Then why did you come back alone?” His question irked her.
“Shakti, I said…”
“What you told them is an excuse, so…” He interrupted.
They overheard the parents' laughter. “They… are talking of finding an alliance for him,” Shakti cleared his throat as Ajabdeh’s heart skipped a beat. She inhaled. “Great! Good for him.”
“Ajab…”
“Shakti… I am serious, we need an alliance and…” Ajabdeh inhaled “It's good for business.”
“What about you?” Shakti asked.
“What about me?” Ajabdeh forced a smile, “I am the CEO, it's good for me too.”
“Not you, you and him I mean…” Shakti stopped at her glare.
“There is no me and him for you to bother about, please…” She pretended she was getting a work call and walked away. Shakti sighed and decided he needed to talk to Rukaiya, the only person who could calmly deal with the stubbornness of Ajabdeh and his sibling.
Rukaiya picked up her call with a cheerful greeting, eyeing Jalal across the road, buying kebabs for dinner. Ajabdeh could hear the sound of traffic and frowned. “Am I disturbing you?”
“Oh no, I am just out with Jalal, what happened?” Rukaiya sounded worried.
“Jalal? He is here?” Ajabdeh bit her lip, knowing her curiosity about him could sound wrong to Rukaiya.
“No, I came here… to Agra.” Rukaiya smiled.
“Is everything okay?”
“Yes. How was Sarangpur?” Jalal appeared beside her, and hearing the last question, he exchanged a glance with Rukaiya. Rukaiya could sense his curiosity and put the phone on speaker.
“I don’t want to talk about it.”
“What did he do?” Rukaiya frowned.
“Nothing,”
“What happened?” Rukaiya exchanged a quick look with Jalal.
“Nothing, I just don’t want to go anywhere with him alone again.” Ajabdeh’s voice trembled. Jalal could for a second feel like he knew what happened. But he eyed a clueless Rukaiya and decided to keep quiet, and made a mental note to check in with Pratap to confirm his doubts.
“I came home to my parents planning Heer and Shakti’s engagement.” Ajabdeh seemed amused as Rukaiya raised her brows. “What?”
“Yes, and not before finding a perfect alliance for Pratap, of course.” She taunted.
“What… Did you say?” Rukaiya sounded unsure.
“I said it's a great idea, get everyone married!” Ajabdeh sounded amused.
“Ajab, are you okay?” Rukaiya sounded worried.
“Absolutely, in fact, I promised Ranima to scan through bridal profiles for him with her.” Ajabdeh sank back on her bed and let out a sigh.
“Does he know that they are planning such things?” Jalal’s words made Ajabdeh stop briefly. She had no idea he was listening in.
“Umm… no.” She answered unsurely.
“He will be furious,” Jalal exclaimed.
“Or happy? How do you know?” Ajabdeh grunted.
“Look, Ajab, I don’t know what happened unless you tell me, which you won’t. But I know this whole alliance thing is not for him and definitely not for you.” Jalal stopped as Ajabdeh groaned inwardly. Rukaiya interrupted, “Let me come back, and we will meet and talk about this, okay? Until then, don’t do something stupid.”
“ I never do anything impulsive,” Ajabdeh said scornfully.
“Sure you don’t?” Jalal taunted, “Just stay calm, Punwar.”
“I am as calm as Buddha in Nirvana, Jalal.”
Rukaiya and Jalal exchanged glances.
Rukaiya reminisced about her childhood trips to the Agra Fort, ending with roadside Kulfi with her father, as Jalal handed her the melting Kulfi and took a bite of his own. Rukaiya smiled, amused, watching him as some Kulfi fell on his t-shirt and he gasped.
“Why do you eat like a child?” Rukaiya shook her head.
“Mohtarma, I was busy listening to you, and my Kulfi melted.” He shrugged, “It's your fault.”
“I will get you a new one.” Rukaiya shrugged.
“Kulfi?” Jalal asked as Rukaiya shook her head, “No, T-shirt.” She smiled, amused.
“Oho!” Jalal raised his brows, “You should come by more often. You cook for me, clean my apartment and buy me things.”
“You make me sound like your mother.” Rukaiya frowned as Jalal shrugged. “No, that's the princess treatment…” Rukaiya laughed as Jalal adjusted his messy hair. “Why should you get princess treatment?”
“Because we live in the 21st Century and we are equals. Men deserve to be pampered, too.” Jalal smiled at her as Rukaiya wondered how his father would react to him demanding princess treatment.
“He made you the boss, so even if I ever go back, you will still be the boss.” Jalal shrugged. Rukaiya stopped at his words.
“What do you mean, ever go back?” She frowned. “You are not going to stay in Agra permanently, are you?” Jalal shrugged. “What will I do going back?”
“I don’t know, take care of the family with me. Open a studio there, anything.” Rukaiya shook her head. “And if you decide to join the business, I am never going to be your boss.”
“I want you to be…” Jalal sounded scared. “Imagine running that company and upsetting you and him!” Rukaiya shook her head at his banter. She wondered if Jalal was masking his worry for Pratap and Ajabdeh, but did not wish to bring it up for the rest of the day. Upon returning home, Jalal took out his phone to find a missed call from Pratap. Rukaiya suggested he should be calling Pratap immediately while she finished some work and calls, especially back home.
“What happened?” Pratap frowned at Jalal’s question even before he could say hello. Pratap’s throat was dry. Did she tell Jalal of all people? “What will happen?”
“I heard your Ranima is looking for alliances.” Jalal tried to sound normal.
“WHAT?” Pratap sounded startled as he stood up and toppled something over. Jalal could hear the sound as he asked, “What was that? Are you okay?”
“Who told you that?” Pratap enquired. Jalal exhaled. “Nobody told me anything, Rukaiya called Ajabdeh.” Pratap inhaled sharply, making Jalal stop.
“I assume she should not have known?” His words did not register with Pratap. He shook his head, “I need to get back home.” Jalal agreed.
“But, did you trigger Ajabdeh in some way?” He tried not to sound intrusive.
“Can you quit this riddling around and tell me what she told you?” Pratap snapped. “I promise I won’t be offended.” Jalal sighed.
“Why will she tell me anything at all?” He sounded displeased. “I said I heard…”
“Then you seem to care an awful lot about whether I treated her nicely.” Pratap retorted.
“Yes, because history says you don’t,” Jalal spoke calmly. “Last time, she spoke to me. This time she won’t. I am scared of her impulsiveness.” He said truthfully. Pratap hit his forehead with his palm as he shook his head. “You think she will find someone else to…”
“No, she will find someone for you.” Jalal tried not to sound amused. “She told Rukaiya…”
“Did you enjoy your stay?” Hamida asked as Rukaiya smiled over the video call. She did enjoy her stay; they were right about her much-needed holiday.
“It's good for Jalal, too; he stays all alone.” Hamida lamented. “Maybe you can go there every other weekend…” She suggested. Rukaiya wanted to dismiss the idea, but she could not. She smiled instead, murmuring that the schedule was hectic for both of them.
“Beta, there is something I would like to talk to you about when you come home,” Hamida told her as Rukaiya nodded sincerely. “I need to speak to you before I tell anyone else.” Rukaiya looked surprised at her words, but Hamida gave the phone to her mother, diverting her attention as she shared some nostalgic stories with her mother.
“This one seems nice.” Udai Singh turned the portfolio towards Jaivanta, who was sitting in a highchair beside him. “She looks nice, too.” Jaivanta passed the file to Ajabdeh. She eyed the portfolio. The Princess of the Rathore Clan, Phool Kanwar, was also the MD of their textile business run by her grandfather.
“I know her,” Ajabdeh said dryly. “We met at a conference once when I was accompanying Papa.”
“That is great. Find a way to contact her, and we can make them meet.” Udai Singh suggested.
“They cover the areas our business doesn’t, so this alliance will be good.” Ajabdeh agreed.
Udai Singh wore a proud smile, telling Jaivanta that there was nobody better than Ajabdeh to handle the business after him. Jaivanta eyed her husband, who picked up his golf kit, and then Ajabdeh, who had her legs up on the couch, going through some papers as she cleared her throat and waited for Udai to leave.
“What do you think?” Jaivanta asked Ajabdeh as she looked up from the paperwork. “Phool will be good.” Ajabdeh shrugged. Jaivanta eyed her keenly.
“For the business, yes, you told.” She nodded. “What about, for Pratap?” Ajabdeh’s hand stopped briefly on the file as she smiled faintly at Jaivanta. “Ranima, only he can answer that, right?”
“Then should he not be involved in this process?” Jaivanta wondered. Ajabdeh shook her head, abandoning her file and holding Jaivanta’s hand in hers.
“Ranima, you know how he is. If Bade Papa talks of an alliance, he will lose his cool and reject everyone. Let's just not tell him. Let him meet Phool under normal circumstances, and I am sure the princess will be approved.” Ajabdeh shrugged. Jaivanta could not help but admire her diplomacy.
“What about you?” Ajabdeh’s heart skipped a beat as Jaivanta eyed her.
“Me?” She chuckled awkwardly. “What about…”
“Why don’t you also look for someone?” Ajabdeh shook her head. “You know, when I was born, Dadisa thought I could never be the CEO of Sisodiya Punwar Industries. I was just a girl. When Heer was born, she was disappointed at not having a male heir…”
“I know that, but she did not have bad intentions…”
“I never said so, Ranima, but the society is unfortunately still patriarchal.” She shook her head as Jaivanta frowned. “What do you mean?”
“I mean, the moment I look for someone, he will be after my shares and a position in the company that belongs to us. We don’t want infiltration.” Ajabdeh shook her head. “As CEO, I vowed to save what our grandparents built…”
“But had Heer not been with Shakti…” Jaivanta shook her head.
“But she is. It's an opportunity to keep the company the way it is, a Sisodiya Punwar partnership.” Ajabdeh shrugged. “I will give my shares away to their heir when I retire.”
“You can still get married and do that?” Jaivanta suggested. Ajabdeh smiled.
“Why would anyone want to marry me and not have children, or worse, have children who inherit nothing when I am CEO?” Jaivanta inhaled at Ajabdeh’s words.
“You really thought this through…” Ajabdeh nodded faintly at her praising tone.
“I have. We need an alliance to expand the business, and Princess Rathore is a perfect one. The sooner Pratap understands that, the better.” Ajabdeh inhaled and forced a smile.
“Is your decision because of Jalal?” Jaivanta asked. “I know your parents don’t approve of him and …”
“No Ranima…” Ajabdeh shook her head. “We broke up because I broke his heart.”
“You?” Jaivanta could not believe it. “You would never…”
“I did… I… made him believe I had feelings for him…” Ajabdeh looked guilty as Jaivanta asked, “If you did not, then why did you agree to be his girlfriend?”
“I was silly enough to think his love was enough for me.” Ajabdeh looked a little embarrassed. “Turns out love is not all you need for a partnership to thrive.”
“You sound like Udai, and I honestly don’t like it.” Jaivanta shook her head disappointedly. Ajabdeh stared at her with a faint smile.
“I guess it comes with the job.” She tried to make a joke as Jaivanta shook her head. “My Ajab was always so sensitive about things. I know you respect traditions. A part of you doesn’t believe in alliances.”
“It doesn’t matter what I believe in Ranima; what matters is if Pratap likes her.”
“If he doesn’t, we won’t be forcing him. In fact, I should ask him if he likes someone before we…” Jaivanta stood up as Ajabdeh stopped her from picking up the phone.
“Ranima.” She shook her head. “Would none of us know if that was the case?” She shrugged, “I mean, he came home with Samaira when he was seventeen, right?” Jaivanta nodded, lost in thought.
“Ranima! Ranima!” Pratap stormed into the study room as Ajabdeh picked up her papers and hid the portfolios in the bunch discreetly. “What is this I…” He stopped because he watched Ajabdeh, in her Kaftan and cigar pants, murmuring something about leaving, and he frowned at her.
“What is she doing here?” Jaivanta opened her mouth to answer her clearly agitated son as Ajabdeh said calmly, “Working with Bade Papa.”
“Listen, you… I know what you are doing here!” He raised his finger, making Ajabdeh stare a little wide-eyed, aware of Jaivanta, who frowned at her son.
“What kind of behaviour is this, Pratap?” Jaivanta interrupted. “She came to work with your father…”
“You can’t be looking at alliances behind my back, do you understand?” Pratap shook his head, and Jaivanta was shocked. She never heard him use that tone with her as Pratap breathed in to regain his composure. He was blocking Ajabdeh’s way at the threshold, so she stood there watching as he eyed her, and she looked away.
“I know exactly what she is up to.” Ajabdeh looked up at his accusatory tone as Jaivanta asked, “Excuse me?”
“She just wants to ruin my life.” Jaivanta gasped as Ajabdeh let out a chuckle.
“Here we go…” She shook her head, “Ranima, tell him I have better things to do than obsess over ruining his life.”
“Ranima, tell her not to poke her nose where it's not her business.” Pratap gave a stare as Ajabdeh seemed unfazed.
“Enough, you two!” Jaivanta scolded as they looked away. “My god, let me breathe.” She sighed. “Did you two always fight like this?” She looked puzzled.
“I can’t stand anyone trying to poke their nose into my affairs,” Pratap said firmly.
“And I can’t stand being accused for no rhyme or reason.” Ajabdeh shrugged. “I am leaving.”
“Good for you.” Pratap watched her stomp away as he eyed Jaivanta. “Promise me you won’t be setting me up?”
“Alright, sit down.” Jaivanta urged her firstborn, “Why are you so agitated?”
“She… she told Rukaiya that…” Pratap stopped and inhaled. Jaivanta shook her head. “Do you like someone?” Pratap’s heart skipped a beat as he looked up at his mother. “What…”
“The way you reacted, it looked like you already chose someone…” Jaivanta raised her brows as Pratap chuckled awkwardly, brushing off her suspicion.
“If I had, you would know, Ranima!” He shrugged. Jaivanta kept staring at his face as he looked away. She could sense something was amiss. Pratap was restless, and she could not tell why.
“Ajabdeh has the best intentions when she does something, you know that.” Jaivanta tried to reason. Pratap shook his head. “No, she doesn’t care what I want. Her eternal need for greater good is just sick.” He exhaled. Jaivanta smiled at her son.
“I never assumed you knew her that well.” She watched him stare awkwardly. “I barely saw you two interact.”
“Ranima…” Pratap held her hand, “I just need some time to figure out my life. Can’t you give me that?”
“If you promise to do what your heart wants and not what your father thinks right, then yes.” Jaivanta nodded at her firstborn.
“Ranima… It's complicated.” He exhaled.
“I thought so.” Jaivanta smiled at her firstborn. “She is complicated.” Pratap looked up at his mother as she ruffled his hair before walking away.
.png)
