Skip to main content

Welcome Home

 "What do you mean you married her?" Jaivanta looked shocked as she stood up from her chair. Her eyes scrutinised Pratap standing at the threshold of the entrance hall and then the luggage beside him. "Didn't we discuss this?" She fumed.

Udai Singh shook his head and got up to stand beside his wife.

"Why would you do something like that, Pratap? It will tarnish our reputation." His voice was composed "If you loved her…"

"No." Pratap looked up at his parents at this. "I don't…. It's not what you think. Let me explain."

"Oh, you don't?" Jaivanta gave out a sarcastic laugh. "Pratap Singh who was against my ideas of matrimony because he didn't want a loveless marriage." She shook her head "You are fooling us again."

"No, I am not. They are after her life. I did what I did as a human being to save another." He looked up at his father hoping he would understand "Like she saved me from Tara."

"It's a marriage." Udai Singh reminded his son. "It's not something you do in debt. It is for a lifetime."

"And I intend to make it work. We… intend to make it work." Pratap said firmly. "I just want you to know my intention was not to betray you."

"I can't accept that girl as my family." Jaivanta spoke " Whenever I see her I will remember what happened behind my back. My own son…"

"As much as she would like your acceptance Ranima, it can never change the fact that she is my wife now." Pratap cut her short. "And she will stay here."

"Where is she?" Udai Singh asked, looking at the luggage.

"In the car." Pratap added, "With Shakti."

"Two of them are betraying me." Jaivanta murmured "For a girl."

Udai looked concerned and asked, "Did you just do a social marriage? Because you know legally…"

"We just did it legally. There is no need for a social marriage." Pratap shook his head.

Udai Singh walked past his firstborn and signalled at his younger one to bring Ajabdeh inside.

Ajabdeh's heart made a funny leap as Shakti opened the door for her. The journey here was relatively quiet. Only Shakti reassured her with a smile as she let go of Heer's hand with teary eyes at the airport.  She didn't know what to expect. But yet felt like her life was never going to be the same when she crossed that threshold. 

"Where is the vermilion?" Ajabdeh was jolted by Jaivanta's first words directed at her. "What kind of a marriage is this?" She rebuked. "Today's generation has no regard for traditions."

For the first time in her life, Ajabdeh Punwar didn't answer back to someone using that tone on her. She inhaled and looked away. 

"I told you it was legal." Pratap said plainly "Anything else is unnecessary."

"Now he decides everything," Jaivanta spoke. "Look I have to leave." Pratap spoke firmly "I am leaving her here, we will talk once I am back home. Please Ranima. Shakti…"

"There is nothing left to talk of." Jaivanta snapped. 

"We will talk when we all calm down tomorrow." Udai Singh added.

"Yes, Dadabhai don't worry I'm here with Ajabdeh." Shakti nodded reassuringly.

Pratap nodded and walked away without looking either at his mother or Ajabdeh.

"Sajja!" Jaivanta shouted "Sajja."

"Yes, Ma'am." Sajja was standing beside the door the whole time and came running. 

"Show Ajabdeh to the room next to Pratap's."

"A separate room?" Udai frowned.

"They are only half as good as married." Jaivanta spoke, " Besides I am sure I can talk some sense back to him."

Sajja had just picked up Ajabdeh's luggage urging her to follow with a warm smile. 

"I hope she doesn't unpack. She will be out of here in twenty-four hours." She overheard Jaivanta tell Udai.

Sajja opened the lock of a relatively smaller room that was furnished in white with a wardrobe, a dressing table, a shelf, a four-poster bed with curtains, a writing desk and chair, and a very large window. The carpet on the floor was of pink and white floral shade matching the long curtains. Ajabdeh looked around the room and absorbed the sunlight coming through the glass window. It was almost time for sunset.

"You can see the sunset from here," Sajja spoke as she looked up at the sky.

Sajja walked towards the wardrobe and set down the luggage.

"Do you want me to help you unpack Ma'am?"

"Please call me Ajabdeh, Aunty." She looked awkward.

Sajja smiled. "That is against my protocol dear. If you don't like ma'am I can call you Baisa." 

"Sounds better." Ajabdeh smiled. "And what do I call you?"

"The boys call me Sajja Kakisa." She smiled. "Both of them grew up in my arms. I can't believe Pratap got married." Her eyes shone with pride unlike Jaivanta's. "To you."

"Can I call you Sajja Ma?" Ajabdeh's words surprised her.

"I… just lost my mother and…" Ajabdeh's eyes shone. "I have no one here."

"That's not true, my dear." Sajja walked across the room, to her and held her hands in her own. "You have us. Kunwarsa. Chote Kunwarsa. And if you need any help you can come to me." She reassured Ajabdeh. Ajabdeh nodded a little relieved. 

"Here, let me show you something." Sajja smiled, opening a door that was camouflaged well between the shelves. "This is Kunwarsa's room. I know you two should stay together but I must also follow Ranisa's instructions. So I thought…"

"Sajja Ma." Ajabdeh's cheeks felt warm "We are not… I mean…"

"I know." Sajja nodded smiling faintly "But he said he intends to make it work. I heard that too."

"He said that?" Ajabdeh looked up at Sajja who nodded. "He said we intend to make it work as well." She smiled. 

Ajabdeh didn't know why but Sajja's words sounded reassuring. 

"Are you sure you don't need help to unpack?" She asked again.

"I will call you if I need. Thanks." Ajabdeh nodded " I am used to doing my own things."

"Well, then get used to the Sisodiya way of life now. Dial 9 on that intercom if you need me." Sajja pointed at the intercom on the wall. "Have a good day."

As the door slammed behind Sajja the room was relatively quiet. Ajabdeh could hear the birds chirp and went over to the windows for the view. She had never been in this wing of the mansion. It was private. The view overlooked a lawn and a large Royal poinciana tree bloomed red. It reminded her of the tree back home in Bijoliya. She sighed. Turning, she inspected the paintings on the wall. Must be worth a fortune. She turned the doorknob to the washroom and saw a bathtub. The room was nothing less than a hotel room. She was curious about the open door. It was his room on the other side. She stopped at the threshold. The room was twice or perhaps even thrice as big as hers. In addition to a four-poster bed, there was a walk-in closet adjacent to a washroom and a separate area to change. There was a desk, with files and papers dumped on it. Pictures on the wall. A side table on each side with lamps, two large windows and a door leading out to an open balcony, a shelf of books, a life-size mirror standing beside it, and a table in a corner with a coffee maker. She was curious about the pictures but stopped at the threshold. Turning back, she shook her head and turned away from his room and closed the connecting door behind her. She sat down on the floor and emptied her hand purse for the phone. 

The call reached Heer's voicemail. 

"Hi, Heer." She checked her voice. "I am fine here. I just settled in a room. Hope you reach safely. Do inform me."

She then looked at her luggage. Remembering Jaivanta's words she kept it aside and opened her handbag and looked for a face wash. She then checked the washroom. There were new sets of toiletries neatly arranged and towels kept aside ready to be used. She wondered how they kept a room ready when they weren't even aware if someone was to arrive or not. This house had the ambience of a luxury hotel. Nevertheless, she locked the doors and turned the shower on. Adjusting the hot and cold water to her liking she relaxed under the running water and breathed heavily. A lot had happened in a day. She didn't expect a warm welcome and whatever happened was expected. Her mind kept wandering back to Jaivanta's words to Udai and Sajja's words about Pratap. 

She stepped out of the shower and wrapped the bathrobe around herself and checked herself in the mirror. For the first time, she noticed the logo of the House of Sisodiya Songaras on it. Ajabdeh sighed. Jaivanta was right. She didn't belong here. Sooner or later Pratap would realise that too. Once the threat to her life was gone. She rubbed her wavy length of dripping wet hair with the towel thinking; that she shouldn't make herself too comfortable here. She was a guest.

After she took the first pair of cigar pants and a Kurti out of her trolley and dried up her hair she parted her hairline to comb it, her eyes fell on her own reflection in the mirror and she immediately remembered Jaivanta's words. There was no marriage without vermillion. Her mother would have said the same. But then, how normal was this marriage? She was unsure. A knock forced her out of her thoughts.

She unlocked the door and it was Shakti.

"Are you okay?" He asked with a polite smile. She nodded. "Please come in." 

Shakti's eyes fell on the unpacked luggage as he stepped into her room.

"You didn't unpack?" He asked, narrowing his brows in doubt, "Should I call someone to help?"

"Oh no. I was offered help." Ajabdeh shook her head. "I…" Shakti understood. 

"Don't take Ranima's words literally." Shakti spoke concerned " She is just disappointed as Dadabhai didn't listen to her. Please unpack and make yourself feel at home." He insisted. "This is your home now." Ajabdeh nodded. "I told Sajja Kaki to serve your dinner here." He added, "I gathered that way you will feel more relaxed."

"Thank you so much, Shakti." Ajabdeh was genuinely touched. "Umm… " she looked awkward so Shakti added "Dadabhai will be late. Don't wait for him unless he informs you." She looked up at his words as he turned to leave.

Sajja brought in a wheeled trolley full of options. Ajabdeh was a bit taken aback when she was told all of that was for her.

"Oh no." She shrugged. "I will just take some rice and veggies. Please take the rest away." Sajja smiled. "From tomorrow you can order your food from me. Would you like to order your breakfast now?" Ajabdeh looked a bit clueless.

"I thought… everyone eats what has been cooked." She fumbled "When we were guests…"

"Oh, you are not now Baisa." Sajja reminded her. "Ranisa takes care of the guest menus. But the family orders their food individually four times a day." Ajabdeh nodded gulping. How was she supposed to fit into this?

"And you can ask Kunwarsa. Ma'am orders Sir's meals. You can take care of him too." Sajja smiled, taking her to leave with a bow. "Please don't bow to me." Ajabdeh looked awkward.

Taking the first morsel, Ajabdeh realised she was hungry. She hasn't quite realised it in all that was happening throughout the day.

Pratap checked his watch turning off the engine of his car, as the mansion looked asleep. 1 AM. He sighed. He didn't have the time to think of anything else as soon as he stepped into the office. There was an important meeting. Then another. And a lot piled up at work. It was only when he was closer to home that he remembered he had left Ajabdeh alone for the day. Her first day at his place. He was unsure of how she had been treated. A sudden guilt crept in. He had worked late. He had never felt guilty about working late until today. 

He walked up the few stairs of the porch and was greeted by Shakti in pyjamas. 

"Is everything fine?" He asked worriedly.

The knock in her room made Ajabdeh look up at the clock. She opened the door, still in the pair of cigar pants and Kurti and saw him standing at her threshold.

"I… Saw the light turned on in your room and… I just returned." Pratap spoke formally.

"Oh. I was… working." She directed her hands to the stacks of paper and her laptop on the carpet. 

"You didn't unpack?" He asked with a frown at her luggage. Ajabdeh stood silent. He folded up his sleeves and loosened his tie.

"Let's help you unpack first." He said looking at her suggestively.

"Oh no." Ajabdeh looked alarmed. "I will do it tomorrow. And Sajja ma can help." Pratap looked at her with a faint smile " So you bonded with Kakisa?" 

She nodded "She is very kind."

"I am sorry the others aren't." He was quick to add. 

"Oh no. I…" Before Ajabdeh could finish her sentence he had started to take her books and notebooks out of the half-opened bag and place them on the empty shelf. She was quick to react and help him with it. 

"Did you have dinner?" He asked, handing her the things to put away in her wardrobe. 

"Yes, Shakti said not to wait for you unless you informed me to." She said putting her clothes in neatly "I ate here in the room. It was like hotel service." She sounded a bit amused.

Pratap's hand stopped at her words. Of course, she spent her first dinner alone. He had completely forgotten about that, drowned in his work. 

"I will be at dinner tomorrow. You can eat breakfast downstairs with us too." He spoke concerned. 

"Oh no, that's okay. Shakti said I will be more comfortable up here." She was quick to add. "So he sent the dinner here." He nodded.

"I actually had a client meeting for dinner." He added, "It totally slipped my mind that it is your first day and…"

"That's okay." Ajabdeh cut him short. "Really. It is."

"Do you want coffee?" He offered. "I have a machine in my room and …"

"I know." Ajabdeh bit her lips at her reflex answer. "I mean Sajja ma showed…"

"My room?" 

Ajabdeh nodded. 

I bet it was her idea to set you up here and not on the guest wing. Ranima would want that." Pratap's words were followed by silence. 

"Don't worry." He added, "When Ranima observes you, she will easily take a liking to you, once she cools down." Pratap reassured. Ajabdeh smiled.

"I don't think she will ever like me. And she has enough reasons to…"

"Trust me, let her know you genuinely up close. She will like you. Everyone likes you." Pratap spoke as Ajabdeh looked up at his words, he looked away awkwardly.

"Everyone except Veer Singh and Tara." She reminded him. 

"Let me grab some coffee as we work. How do you like your coffee?" He asked putting up a framed picture of Hansa and the girls on the wall.

"Strong." She smiled. "Thank you." 

Pratap stopped at the threshold of her door and turned. "I can use that door. Shouldn't alarm the guards walking around the corridor after the lights are off." He spoke almost to himself as he opened the connecting door and stepped into his room keeping the door open. 

"Please come in." He said, gesturing to her on the couch. He took two cups and poured some steaming coffee. "Did anyone say anything?" He looked concerned. 

"No." She shook her head. "Please don't worry. Even if someone does, I will handle it. Trust me." She said reassuringly " I just talked to the attorney about the hearing day after tomorrow." He nodded listening attentively. Another hour later Ajabdeh stopped talking of her late father, looking alarmed at the clock. "It's 3AM I should go. I am so sorry."

"Oh, it is?" He looked up at the clock "I'm sorry you must be tired."

"Thank you for the coffee. And the conversation" Ajabdeh spoke putting the cup down on the table.

"I think we should cut the thank yous. They take up a lot of time." Pratap smiled. "Goodnight Ajabdeh." 

"Goodnight." She spoke as she pushed the connecting door behind her shut.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Everything

Kunwar Pratap stormed into the Mahal at Gogunda. Happy faces of the chieftains and soldiers welcomed him as Rao Ramrakh and Rawatji stopped the ongoing Raj tilak. A visibly scared Kunwar Jagmal looked clueless at a visibly angry Kunwar Pratap. Rani Dheerbai Bhattiyani hadn't expected this son of Mewar to show up that too twenty-one days after his father's death. He was not informed as per Dheerbai's instructions. She looked at Rawat Ji. He must have gone to Raoji at Bijolia. No one except them knew where Kunwar Pratap was staying. It was for the safety of his family. " What are you doing Chotima?" A disappointed voice came. She could stoop down so low? " We were about to inform you..." She spoke up in her defence. " When Dheerbai ji?" Maharani Jaivanta Bai, clad in white entered the hall as people bowed before her. " After your son's coronation?" " I did nothing Badima I swear!" A low voice came from Jagmal. " Maha

His Wife

" Where is the Kesar, Rama? And the Kalash?" Ajabde looked visibly displeased at the daasi who ran. " They are at the fort gates and nothing is ready yet!" She exclaimed. She was clad in a red Jora and the jewellery she had inherited as the first Kunwarani of the crown prince. Little Amar ran down the hallway towards his mother. " Maa sa Maa sa... who is coming with Daajiraj?" His innocent question made her heart sink. " Bhanwar Ji." Sajja Bai called out to him. " Come here I will tell you." Amar rushed to his Majhli Dadisa. " Ajabde." She turned at Jaivanta Bai's call. "They are here." " M... My Aarti thali..." Ajabde looked lost like never before. Jaivanta Bai held her stone-cold hands, making her stop. She patted her head and gave her a hug. The hug gave her the comfort she was looking for as her racing heart calmed down. Jaivanta Bai left her alone with her thaal. " Maa sa!" Amar exclaimed

Chapter Three: Pedigree

  The Imperial Police work was a tough job. The family had no idea what Superintendent Animesh Kumar Mukhopadhyay went through to provide for his family and their luxurious lives. Abhaya’s father never failed to let his family know that. Every time he drank down his sins. Every time he came home drunk. Every time he beat his wife. Abhaya would often sit awake all night, her pillow pressed against her ears as she sobbed silently, hoping that her mother’s begging sobs and father’s lewd language would stop. One day she had opened the door of her room slightly and was about to step out when her sister-in-law intervened. Her face was dark as she coldly told Abhaya to return to her room. She would be punished if her elder brothers found out about her trying to get out of her chambers at night. Abhaya at twelve knew one truth greater than others. Men were like this, women had to tiptoe around them to serve them as they demanded.  She was intimidated by the regular chores the women of the hous

To Protect You

Kunwar Pratap was in court with Rana Udai Singh. The Mughals were conquering a huge part of the north courtesy of Bairam Khan and Mewar on their routes to the ports of Gujarat. " Dajiraj we need to secure the roads leading to Agra and also towards the west. The attack-prone areas should always be under surveillance." " Yes Ranaji. Baojiraj is right." Rawatji agreed.   In the Rani Mahal, everyone was preparing for a grand lunch. Ajabde was making a sweet dish for the princes and princesses and in a hurry, she forgot to add the Kesar and Badam on top. As she served the smaller princes including Kunwar Jagmal, Dheerbai came to inspect her eldest son's food. " What is this? Who made this? Kokoiaji?" She stormed to the kitchen with a bowl of sweet dishes.   " Kunwaranisa did." Came a scary answer, from Veer Bai. " Ajabde Baisa." Her words let out a silent gasp from the lesser queens who stood witness. Calm and composed, Ajabde walked up

Struggles and Tests

Kunwar Pratap ran to hug his mother. Jaivanta Bai smiled pleased looking at him. Sajja Bai had accompanied her here with the Bhattiyani queen and had reached out to her sister in Marwar for shelter with the princesses until the war ended. She refused to stay like a commoner at Samant’s house. “Majhli Maasa.” Kunwar Pratap touched her feet and got a hug in return. “ Where is Chotima?” “She went to Mehrangarh.” Jaivanta Bai replied. Dressed simply in a blue lehenga and silver jewellery she still looked elegant. The sound of Payal made everyone turn as Hansa smiled at her daughter. “This is Ajabde. My eldest.” Ajabde stepped forward to touch the queen’s feet while Kunwar Pratap stepped back carefully watching the scene with a smile. Jaivanta Bai cupped her face and noticed her son’s reaction in silence. “Ajabde show them the guest rooms.” After the refreshments, Hansa Bai instructed her while Kunwar Pratap left in a hurry followed by Balwant who now kind of worshipped him.

Chapter Four: Imprisoned

Abhaya was thrown into a room without windows and the doors were chained shut. It was dark and damp and the walls smelled of gathered dust. She could sense the chains being locked as she heard voices outside. She tried to get up but her bruised knees and weak body failed her. She stumbled on the cold stone floor to notice the mattress on one side and a pot of water on the other. What were they going to do to her? Was she the only one here? Where were her parents? In the Summer heat also she felt a shiver in her body. She briefly remembered her house up in flames, the bottles of kerosene being thrown at the open windows. Torches around the house, chanting slogans. The screams of the women. The last time she saw her elder brothers was when they picked up the pistols and canes from around the house. She realised her father was not home when she ran down the corridor towards the chaos, her heart on her throat. The loud sound of the car burning and the screams of her mother made her freeze.

Destiny

The war was almost won.  A few of Marwar’s soldiers were left on the field along with Rao Maldeo Singh Rathore, their king and leader.  He was thinking of retreating at the end of this day. As his sword clashed with one of the opponent generals as he eyed the opponent King now open and prone to attack. A little hope flickered in his mind as his eyes instructed his closest aide.  The opponent was quite in a winning situation thanks to their new Senapati. He was just 16 yet his bravery and valour reflected his blood and upbringing. He mesmerised the opponents and even Rao Maldeo with his clever war strategies and sword skills. As Maldeo’s aide swung his sword at a taken aback Udai Singh, someone’s sword defended it as his body acted like a shield for the king. He killed the man in one go. “ Ranaji are you okay?” “ Haan Raoji.” He nodded gratefully.  By half the day, the Marwar army had retreated as the air filled with “ Jai Mewar! Jai Eklingji!” From the triumphant soldiers. Rana Udai Si

Protectors

Rao Surtan was at the Palace gates as the soldiers tried in vain to attack with arrows. His army was stronger and more competent than the one Balwant headed at the Bijolia Fort Gates. “Break the door” he ordered. “Where is Ajabde?” Hansa looked around the cellar. “Jija!” Ratan exclaimed. “She was on the roof last I saw.” “Ajabde.” Hansa Bai opened the cellar door and stepped out followed by Ratan who was equally worried. “Stay back!” Sajja Bai called in vain as Jaivanta Bai too walked out and up the stairs to the corridors of the Ranimahal in search of Ajabde.  Meanwhile, Surtan’s army had entered the palace and he made his way to the Ranimahal. He was having different thoughts now. Killing Jaivanta Bai won't yield him anything… Maybe capturing a few young maidens… Ratan froze in the corridor seeing the man approach. Behind her were her mother and Jaivanta Bai with the same reaction. “ Jee Bavro ho gayo!” Surtan Singh took out his sword. Ratan took two ste

Friends?

Early morning, Ajabde walked into Saubhagyawati’s house as the Panditji looked relieved. “Baisa you are here now I don’t need to look after anything.” She walked into Saubhagyawati’s room and found her braiding her hair nervously. Her lehenga looked beautiful and only the maangtika was about to be put so Ajabde did the honours. Saubhagyawati held her hand and took a deep breath. “Ajabde have a confession.” “What is it Bhago?” She looked worried. “Are you scared?” “No no Ajabde it’s not that. I… met him… before…” “Whom?” “The one who is coming to see me.” She looked away scared. “What? How…” Ajabde looked at her with wide eyes. “woh… Both nights when I waited for you in the…” “Hai Bhagwan Bhago! What if he says that seeing you in front of your father?”  Ajabde spoke up as Bhago looked shocked. Why didn’t she think that before? “What will we do now?” Bhago asked worriedly. Ajabde was lost in thoughts. No way could people know. The groom had arrived with

Understandings

After counting days, Ajabde was happy that she was going to Bijolia. She knew how eager her mother and Ratan would be to know about her new life. She couldn't wait to hug her mother and feel like... Home. She was selecting gifts for her parents and her siblings as per Ranima's instructions. Then suddenly an idea struck her mind. Her new family welcomed her with so much love and support. Especially Ranima and Majhli Maa Sa. She wanted to give them something. Suddenly she remembered that Ranima had loved her embroidery work on dupattas back in Bijolia so she called a Dasi and ordered some plain Chunris and embroidery threads. She had a lot of work to finish in a day before leaving.   Kunwar Pratap came back into the room to see her on the floor, right in the middle of the room with red, green, yellow, and pink all sorts of dupattas scattered. " What's all this?" He asked not sure if he should be asking. " I am making gifts. For Ranima, Majhli ma, Rani Dheer Bai