Skip to main content

The One


“Where are you going?” Ajabdeh stopped, alerted by the voice behind her. She turned to find Heer asking the question as she stood at the threshold of the entrance to the palace in her riding pants and boots.
“I... it’s 6AM, it is...”
“Jija. Tomorrow is my engagement party and you want to go riding?” Heer asked almost with a hint of disappointment in her voice “It can wait till I get engaged. I need you now. Besides, the stables are being cleaned.”
“I will be back in a few minutes Heer.” Ajabdeh shrugged “I have just developed a habit to start my day by meeting Chetak. As long as I am here...” She stopped as Heer’s smile faded.
“He can wait till later Jija when the guests come; you take them to the stables and show off Chetak as much as you want.” Heer smiled holding her by her hand, “Come with me now.”
Chundawat had called on every employee who worked in and around the palace, in the morning, briefing them about the extra hours they needed to work till the engagement which may include work other than what they were supposed to do. He said the Punwars were known for their warm hospitality and that no one should leave a place for the Solankis or any other guest to complain. Nodding their heads, the employees dispersed from the lawn. Pratap was about to go when Chundawat called him “Pratap. I may really need some help with the accounts and for conducting tours around the place for the guests, from you, since you can speak English fluently... several people are flying down from London and other parts of the world.” Pratap nodded his head and walked away towards the stable.
 “I am telling you Jija, this will look beautiful on you.” Heer insisted holding up the very exclusive designer lehenga she had taken the liberty of ordering for her sister “You need to dress up for my engagement.”
“Heer.” Ajabdeh shook her head, “It is your day. The guests are here for you, what will I do...”
“No one can take their eyes off you when you wear this.” Heer smiled making her stare at her sister.
“Really?” Ajabdeh smiled rather amused.”Let’s see how that works then.” Her words made Heer smile and give her a hug leaving the lehenga hanging from her wardrobe.
“Bhaiya I heard a lot of people will be coming for the engagement.” Patta seemed excited and chirpy. Pratap nodded in silence, satisfied with the way he and Patta had cleaned up the stable. “There will be a grand party; I can’t wait to see that,” Patta said moving aside the hay stacks.
“Are you invited?” Pratap had a hint of amusement in his voice but it escaped Patta’s enthusiasm “We can ask for duties at the party, to attend to the guests.”
“I don’t think I want to. I will rather be at home.” Pratap said plainly.
“We will get paid and get to see people in all kinds of clothes like they wear in cinemas.” Patta gushed “I wonder how the princesses will look!” His words made Pratap stop and stare at him.
“Get me Chetak’s saddle and reign Patta, he needs a run.” The boy dashed out to get what he was told and Pratap stood up touching Chetak’s nose softly with his fingers. The horse nodded its head making him smile.
“No boy, she is not coming today.” Pratap said softly “It’s you and me... from now on.” He patted Chetak as he neighed. Patta came back with the saddle and watched Pratap put it on and ride to the meadows while he stood watching.
Heer startled Ajabdeh by dragging her by her hand almost running through the corridor to a jharokha.
“See that is him.” She blushed. Ajabdeh looked at the crowd of guests being welcomed by her parents near the guest wing. The one to whom Heer pointed was a handsome man with tall physic and a charming smile.
“He looks too tall for you.” Ajabdeh frowned.
“Oh, that’s not him.” Heer shook her head “That’s his friend; he is the one in blue.” Ajabdeh nodded staring at Heer's smile.
Shakti Singh Solanki was the sole heir of the Solanki Industries. Known to be a ladies’ man, he was always a charmer, no less than a prince. From his mother’s side, he was indeed a royal. And when his father wanted an alliance for him, he gathered it would mean the end of his life. Shakti saw Heer at a friend’s party and was bowled over by her beauty. And the moment he heard of the probability of this alliance he had agreed. They had met and hung out in London over the last month, and he had started liking the girl, much to his surprise.
“Are we just going to sit around and do nothing?” He stared at his friend shrug. Prithviraj was his best friend since high school and it was expected of him. The only reason he agreed to come to India for this wedding was that he wanted to explore the place. He wasn’t ready to sit back and enjoy just the wedding.
“What do you want to do?” Shakti asked with a frown. “You know I can’t just roam around here.”
“You can’t but I can!” He had smirked. And before Shakti knew he had gathered his phone and shades and walked out of the room. “Don’t land me in trouble Prithvi.” He had called after him in vain.
Ajabdeh opened the door of her chamber and stepped out, hoping that Heer or her parents were nowhere around. She had seen them take Mr Solanki and his wife on a tour of the estate and knew they won’t be back before an hour. She was free.
“Excuse me.” She had frowned at the stranger inspecting a vase in the corridor “Who are you?” She frowned “How did you get in?”
“I don’t get it.” He shrugged “These people have all their doors open. Anyone can get in.” He turned to see the girl staring at him in suspicion.”Who are you?” He frowned.
“This is my....” She stopped and shook her head. She now recognized him from the morning. “I am the bride’s sister.”
“I am the groom’s best friend. Prithviraj.” He extended his hand and Ajabdeh took it for a shake. “Ajabdeh.”
“You are extremely beautiful Princess.” He smiled making Ajabdeh stare “And definitely talented to be heiress to such an amazing estate.”
“That... was flattering.” Ajabdeh smiled awkwardly and looked away.
“I would really like to know you better.” He put his hands in his pocket and smiled “Maybe this wedding will....”
“...I have to go...” Ajabdeh shrugged.
“But... at least tell me where we can have a chat perhaps?” He asked blocking her way.
“At the party maybe?” Ajabdeh suggested.
“Well, don’t mind me asking, your sister is getting married, when do you plan to...?” He half smiled making Ajabdeh breathe in.
“I live in the moment.” She said, “Now excuse me.”
“I was actually trying to find out what to do around here...” He shrugged “Sorry if I...”
“Oh, it’s okay.” She smiled politely walking past him when he frowned at her boots.
“Going riding?” He asked as Ajabdeh half turned to see him smile “Can I come along?”
“You know how to...” She asked.
“I play polo. So try me.” He bowed in the most charming manner Ajabdeh ever saw.
“But I...” She suddenly stopped and looked up at him. Tall, dark, and handsome, he was no less than a hero of some classic romance. She smiled the most charming smile she could find. “Come along. I can do with some company.” Prithviraj stared at her like he had won the lottery.
“Please call me Prithvi, Princess.” He smiled.
“And I prefer Ajabdeh.” She smiled back at him. “The stable is this way.”
Pratap had stopped Chetak in the middle of the ground as his heart skipped a beat. He watched Ajabdeh walk out, to the fences in her riding pants and shades, her hair falling over her shoulder, and alongside her was a man. A man, who could give any man a complex. Pratap’s jaws tightened. He got down from Chetak as Ajabdeh pointed at them and told something, almost in the man’s ear to which he smiled at her. Something raged in Pratap like a fire. He tightened his grip around Chetak’s reign as he neighed in response.
Ajabdeh watched Chetak neigh and Pratap with his emotionless face, drag the horse to her.
“Prithvi, meet the love of my life.” Pratap stared at her a little startled as she smiled at the man “Chetak!” Her call made the horse neigh as she went across to pat him. Pratap carefully moved out of her way.
“He is of the finest breed.” Prithviraj smiled.
“I see you know a lot about horses.” Ajabdeh complimented. “Why don’t you ride with me?”
“Chetak is very choosy about his...” Pratap stopped as Ajabdeh removed her sunglasses and stared at him, a hint of accomplishment on her face. In a moment, Pratap understood what she was trying to do.
“Look, what’s your name?” Prithvi walked up to Pratap.
“Pratap, sir.”
“Pratap. I know how to handle horses; I can do that since I was a teen. I know some horses are stubborn but I ....”
“Prithvi.” Ajabdeh walked up to him, placing a hand gently on his shoulder, which did not escape Pratap’s glance. “Why don’t you try Chetak?” She offered.
“But...” Pratap frowned as Prithvi walked up to Chetak like a challenge. Ajabdeh came up to stand beside a worried Pratap with a smile.
“Let him try.” Her words were firm.
“He can get hurt.” Pratap frowned “He is a guest and...”
“You warned him. He didn’t listen.” She shrugged. “Let Chetak handle him.”Pratap shook his head at her words.
“Do you know what you are doing?” He asked looking at Prithviraj trying to hold Chetak’s reign in vain as Chetak put his front feet up in the air and neighed, throwing him off guard.
“Yes. The right thing.” She shrugged making his jaws stiffen “Watch me.”
As Chetak’s neigh grabbed Patta’s attention he rushed out of the stable to find a man on the ground, holding his knee and almost wailing in pain as Pratap calmed an agitated Chetak and Ajabdeh knelt by the side of the man.
“Oh no. You are hurt?” Pratap frowned and turned to see Ajabdeh put up a worried face at the man rolling on the ground.
“Your horse is stubborn. Who the hell tamed him?” Prithvi said staring at Chetak in disbelief.
“I guess someone better than you are as a rider.” Pratap snapped under his breath only to see Ajabdeh frowning at his words. “Sir, let me help you up.” He gave the man his hand, as Ajabdeh shook her head.
“You sit here.” She directed Prithvi to a haystack, and turned to Patta “Bring the first aid box please Patta.” Patta was about to run when she added “And oh, get a maid to do his first aid.” Patta nodded and left as Pratap stared at her patting Prithvi on his back with condolence. He shook his head and was about to take Chetak inside when Ajabdeh walked up to them.
 “Prithvi what happened?!” Ajabdeh turned at this new voice as Shakti walked up to his friend, accompanied by Heer.
“It was just... nothing...” Prithvi smiled. “I am fine.”
“He just fell off a horse.” Ajabdeh shrugged matter of factly that making Shakti chuckle while his friend gave him disapproving glances.
“I assume he was trying to impress you, sorry for the trouble.” Shakti shook her hand as he smiled “Shakti.”
“Ajabdeh.” She smiled back as Heer held Shakti’s hand in hers and corrected “Jija.”
“Jija.” Shakti repeated staring at her and back at Ajabdeh “Right. I have heard so much about you.”
“Same here.” She nodded.
“Come, baby, let me show you my horse.” Heer smiled “Patta? Patta!”
“I will get Badal Ma’am.” Pratap spoke in a hurry “Patta has gone to get first aid.” He is a reflex pushed Chetak’s reign into Ajabdeh’s hand and walked away. Pratap came back with the horse as Heer turned to Shakti and said “He is Pratap. The one who tamed that horse.”
“Oh yes, you have become quite famous.” Shakti smiled as Pratap nodded appreciatively at Heer. “She keeps telling me that you took care of her sister while she was here alone.” Almost like a reflex, Pratap stared at Ajabdeh and she back at him when he turned to Shakti and said “It is what I got paid for, a part of my job Sir.” Ajabdeh saw Patta approaching with the first aid and a maid when she snatched the box from his hand.
“Let me do that.” Her words made Shakti stare at an equally surprised Prithvi and at Heer. Ajabdeh walked up to Prithviraj and asked rather plainly “Where does it hurt?”
“Excuse me, Ma’am.” Heer nodded as Pratap walked away towards the meadow again with Chetak. As soon as he left, Ajabdeh shrugged “I can’t understand how to do this, you do it, Rama.” She handed the box over to the maid and turned to Heer “Enjoy your ride.” Heer nodded and watched her go, her smile fading into a frown as she turned back to see Pratap ride away on Chetak. While Shakti was busy overseeing his friend’s injury, Heer turned to Patta and said “Let me take Badal for a ride.”
“Yes, Baisa Hukum.” Patta nodded readily.
“Ummm... where did Pratap go?” She asked not being able to spot him.
“Bhaiya vanishes just like that.” Patta shrugged walking alongside the pony, “He must be roaming somewhere on his bike.”
“Where does he stay?” Heer asked.
“You don’t know Rajkunwarisa?” Patta asked surprised “He is Guruma’s nephew.” Heer frowned at his words.
“But Jija said he is from Jodhpur.”
“He stays there.” Patta nodded. “You can ask Baisa Hukum. She will know better.”
“Why do you say that?” Heer asked.
“Because she keeps talking to him, he is the one who helped her when the factory....”
Pratap let Chetak pick up speed and run across the meadow and into the orchards. His temple was wet with sweat and his heart raced as Chetak’s hooves made a rhythmic sound against the path. It was almost when they reached the walls that he made Chetak stop. Getting down from him, amidst the tall trees Pratap sat down on the ground, leaning against a tree trunk. He stared at Chetak, his eyes twinkling with teardrops.
“I... can’t be weak.” He said almost in a murmur shaking his head. “She just wants me to break and I cannot.” He stood up to mount on Chetak again and stared ahead a little startled to find Heer, on Badal, riding towards him.
“Where is Patta?” he frowned “You should not ride into the orchards alone Ma’am.”
“Here, take my reign, we will ride back together.” Heer offered as Pratap tied it to Chetak’s giving his reign a pull.
“What were you doing here?” Heer asked as Pratap looked away.
“Chetak was just riding....”
“I heard about the factory incident, and that you helped Jija,” Heer spoke as he stared at her.
“I ...”
“Thank you, Pratap, you looked out for her.” Heer smiled as he nodded “...beyond your job and payment. I appreciate it.”
“Ma’am...” Pratap nodded at the princess who watched him ride with Chetak.
 “Have you seen her mingle with the heir of the Chauhans?” Raoji spoke to Hansa as she smiled nodding at him “If she does like him it can be beneficial to...” He had stopped at his wife’s stare.
“I will just be happy for her,” Hansa said plainly and got back to checking the gifts for the guests.
“Yes... me too..... I saw them talking in the hall just now.” Ramrakh smiled at Hansa “The predictions...”
“Raoji, let’s not talk of all that now. Guruma said everything is fine. There is nothing to worry about.” He nodded at her words. “I can see hopes here.”
“Jija you here?” Heer knocked softly and peeped in.
Ajabdeh sat up on her bed, gathering the locks of her hair up for a bun.
“Jija.” Heer sat down on her bed and stared at her through the reflection in the mirror. “There is anything you want to talk of or I should know?” Heer asked softly. Ajabdeh turned to her and nodded affirmatively.
“You know you can tell me anything Jija.” Heer held her hands making Ajabdeh stare at her.
“This Prithvi guy really pisses me off Heer,” Ajabdeh said in a serious tone, breaking into a chuckle as Heer stared at her laugh. She then shook her head, smiled at Ajabdeh’s laughter and asked in a low tone “Then why were you flirting with him?”
“Just.” Ajabdeh shrugged. “You said I should try remember?”
“Jija.” Heer asked studying her face “Are you sure that is your only reason?”
“What other reason do I possibly have?” Ajabdeh shrugged at Heer as she shook her head. “Go now. I want to be alone.”
The next morning Pratap arrived at the stable to find Chetak missing. He frowned at Patta who pointed at the ground with a rather surprised face.
“That man came back with Baisa Hukum. I don’t know what he did. He is so stubborn that even Chetak gave in.” Pratap suddenly felt a rush of blood in his veins as he walked to the fences to catch a glimpse of Prithviraj on Chetak, while Ajabdeh sat in front of him, in her riding gears, smiling appreciatively at his skills. Even Chetak seemed comfortable.
“He is a prince of somewhere and into the hotel business,” Patta spoke behind him matter-of-factly. “You think there will be another royal wedding soon?” His words suddenly made Pratap’s heartache.
“I... I don’t know. But... it looks like I am not needed today so I will come back tomorrow.” He said it in a hurry and turned to leave.
“Pratap!” It was Prithviraj who called him to make him stop and Ajabdeh stare in his direction, her smile intact on her face.
“Yes, Hukum.” He had stopped to watch Prithviraj get down and give Ajabdeh his hand. She took it, to get down as Pratap looked away trying in vain not to show some disapproval on his face.
“I told you I can tame him.” Prithviraj said with a hint of pride “It just needed love like Ajab said.” He had smiled at Ajabdeh who smiled back appreciatively. Pratap nodded looking away.
“Now I will go for my breakfast, care to join me?” Prithviraj flashed the most charming smile at Ajabdeh.
“You go on.” She shook her head “I have an hour with him.” Pratap looked up at her words. Prithviraj left with a shrug as Pratap held Chetak’s reign.
Ajabdeh got up and patted the horse “Let’s go.” Pratap silently led them to the ground.
“So ... Once I learn to ride on my own I can go riding any time with anyone, Chetak?” She patted the horse and frowned at the silence.
“I am making new friends.” She spoke again, a little louder “He is so good with horses.”
“He took a silly risk to ride with you.” Pratap snapped “If Chetak protested, like that day, it could risk your ...”
“You were scared for this reason then, that day?” her question was met with silence. “That I will be hurt?” He had led Chetak almost to the far end of the meadow and he murmured “Let’s go back.”
 “You didn’t answer me.” She asked again “Is that what scared you, Pratap?” She frowned as Pratap stopped Chetak on the tracks. He took a deep breath and stared at her saying “No. I was scared to lose you.” Ajabdeh’s heart skipped a beat as her hand tightened around Chetak’s reign. His brown eyes were intense, and they shone slightly in the sunlight. Ajabdeh’s heart made a funny leap. She barely found her voice to say, “Pratap....I...”
“No. Let me complete.” He spoke looking away, dragging Chetak along while she looked a little worried.
“I have always been straightforward, and I think I should tell you this. I know the things that can’t be; I didn’t want a job where my father was fired, I took it because you insisted. I didn’t want to talk about anything beyond my profession with you, you insisted. I knew I shouldn’t have gone to places, but I did because you were alone. And somewhere, so was I.  I know you and I could never be friends and you insisted. I agreed to that too, knowing that you needed me, and perhaps I needed you. I know it is useless running from things.” He stopped again and this time he looked away to make sure she had no idea that his eyes were teary. “You said I am sorted.” He spoke as she was about to get down from her horse.
“Don’t.” His words made her stop, almost frozen where she was. “I was sorted until you came along. Now, I don’t know what to do anymore. But I do know I have dared to cross certain limits I shouldn’t have.”
“Pratap...” Her voice was hurting as he sighed, dragging Chetak back to the stables. “Listen to me...”
“No, you listen to me. You and I can never be anything. Now if you want me to work here, promise me we will never talk of this ever again, and if you can’t, then I will leave. I will do the right thing.”
He had led Chetak almost to the stables and stopped him as she got down. She walked across to face him as he chose to look away and she shook her head with a faint smile “Is forgetting that simple?”
Eyes met as Ajabdeh for the first time, saw that he was hurt, wounded perhaps. “It is what is good for everyone.” He walked past her, dragging Chetak to his stable. Something in Ajabdeh felt hot like her inside was fuming at his words.
“I promise you then.” Ajabdeh spoke firmly, in the daring tone he had witnessed before, making him stop in his tracks “I will do the right thing, and you and Chetak will be my witness to that.” She watched him go as she dragged herself back to her room.
Ajabdeh sat down, holding the cushion close to her chest, trying to find some solace. His words still hurt like a dagger in her chest. He said what he wanted to. At once he admitted what he felt and took it away at the same time. Ajabdeh wiped away her tears. He did not even wait to ask her what she wanted. Maybe because he knew her too well, to know what she wanted and it scared him.
Heer knocked on her door when Ajabdeh wiped away her tears and opened it.
“Jija, I heard you have taken the albums, can we see them together?” Heer smiled at her as she agreed. Heer was busy, telling her stories she had heard behind every picture and Ajabdeh felt restless. She did not want to hurt Heer but at the same time, she wanted to be alone, to mourn a loss she perhaps never had.
Heer walked away to the threshold as she saw Ajabdeh scrutinising an old picture. “Can I tell you something Jija?” She held open the door, stopped and half turned to her sibling and said “Anyone who knows you even a little and saw you that day would know what your reason was. To flirt with Prithvi.” Her words made Ajabdeh stop and stare at her, threatened perhaps at how easily she could be read. “I had a feeling and I was right Jija, Pratap...” Ajabdeh stared at Heer in shock as she smiled. She walked up to pull Heer inside and shut the door behind her.
“Heer...” Ajabdeh did not know what to say. “I... we... “
“He loves you more than I ever saw anyone love someone.” Heer took a deep breath and stared at Ajabdeh’s twinkling eyes “You are lucky to have known such a love.”
“I am not...” Ajabdeh shook her head “It is not that simple Heer, you don’t understand.”
“He pushed you away didn’t he?” Heer asked making her stare at Heer’s unreadable face.
“And you are hurt, and as usual, you are hiding it.” Heer held her cold hands firmly in her warm ones “You don’t have to hide anything Jija, for I am here, for you, maybe this once. And whatever you feel right, I will be here, with you.”
Heer’s words made Ajabdeh hug her tightly as tears wet her cheeks. She was not wrong. Even her sister could see how much he felt for her. In that way, Ajabdeh felt blessed. Heer hugged her back and let her cry in silence.
Sitting down on the edge of the bed, Heer wiped away her tears and said with a sigh “Jija, you know he did the right thing. Right?”
 She frowned as Ajabdeh nodded, but in her eyes, Heer saw the sparks of a warrior she was scared of.





READ ALL CHAPTERS HERE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Towards You

Kunwar Pratap and Ajabde were friends. He didn't feel awkward sharing his plans and thoughts with her anymore. She was more than happy to advise him on everything. She was happy he listened to her advice before taking or discarding them, be it on what to wear to Padmavati's Sagai or how to befriend the revolting Bhils. He loved the way Ajabde always used metaphors from Puranas and Ramayanas to explain the toughest things so easily. She expressed herself so well, so easily that it amazed him.   The Afghans were now led by Mehmood Shah. They have made secret territories in the forests and waited to attack. Rawatji and his spies had confirmed the news and Udai Singh had warned Mehmood Shah to withdraw his troops from Mewar in vain. Now, it was time they declared war. Mehmood Shah had limited resources in Mewar. And his spies clearly suggested that in no way could he win, especially with Kunwar Pratap leading his troops. He was having second thoughts about the war. One of his aides

She Left...

The war was over and so were the hopes of regaining Chittor. The Battle at Haldighati had robbed the Rana of all his wealth, and brave men, and bruised him for life. Trying to match up to Akbar or rather Raja Man Singh's army with one-third its strength had cost his bravery dearly. He had lost his friend and companion. He had brushed past death. The only good thing that this war ensured was that Akbar accepted that he cannot have Mewar. His army retreated and left the country in peace after almost two decades and seventeen wars. This war gave something else too. Kunwar Shakti came to help his brother in his time of need. He lived up to his brother's expectations of being loyal to his family. A heavy-hearted Rana Pratap Singh was overseeing the construction work on his lost friend's memorial right where he died, trying to save his master. The Bronze statue of the life-like Chetak stood tall but was no match for the void Chetak has left behind. He was lost in his thoughts as

His Wife

" Where is the Kesar, Rama? And the Kalash?" Ajabde looked visibly displeased at the daasi who ran. " They are at the fort gates and nothing is ready yet!" She exclaimed. She was clad in a red Jora and the jewellery she had inherited as the first Kunwarani of the crown prince. Little Amar ran down the hallway towards his mother. " Maa sa Maa sa... who is coming with Daajiraj?" His innocent question made her heart sink. " Bhanwar Ji." Sajja Bai called out to him. " Come here I will tell you." Amar rushed to his Majhli Dadisa. " Ajabde." She turned at Jaivanta Bai's call. "They are here." " M... My Aarti thali..." Ajabde looked lost like never before. Jaivanta Bai held her stone-cold hands, making her stop. She patted her head and gave her a hug. The hug gave her the comfort she was looking for as her racing heart calmed down. Jaivanta Bai left her alone with her thaal. " Maa sa!" Amar exclaimed

Destiny

The war was almost won.  A few of Marwar’s soldiers were left on the field along with Rao Maldeo Singh Rathore, their king and leader.  He was thinking of retreating at the end of this day. As his sword clashed with one of the opponent generals as he eyed the opponent King now open and prone to attack. A little hope flickered in his mind as his eyes instructed his closest aide.  The opponent was quite in a winning situation thanks to their new Senapati. He was just 16 yet his bravery and valour reflected his blood and upbringing. He mesmerised the opponents and even Rao Maldeo with his clever war strategies and sword skills. As Maldeo’s aide swung his sword at a taken aback Udai Singh, someone’s sword defended it as his body acted like a shield for the king. He killed the man in one go. “ Ranaji are you okay?” “ Haan Raoji.” He nodded gratefully.  By half the day, the Marwar army had retreated as the air filled with “ Jai Mewar! Jai Eklingji!” From the triumphant soldiers. Rana Udai Si

Understandings

After counting days, Ajabde was happy that she was going to Bijolia. She knew how eager her mother and Ratan would be to know about her new life. She couldn't wait to hug her mother and feel like... Home. She was selecting gifts for her parents and her siblings as per Ranima's instructions. Then suddenly an idea struck her mind. Her new family welcomed her with so much love and support. Especially Ranima and Majhli Maa Sa. She wanted to give them something. Suddenly she remembered that Ranima had loved her embroidery work on dupattas back in Bijolia so she called a Dasi and ordered some plain Chunris and embroidery threads. She had a lot of work to finish in a day before leaving.   Kunwar Pratap came back into the room to see her on the floor, right in the middle of the room with red, green, yellow, and pink all sorts of dupattas scattered. " What's all this?" He asked not sure if he should be asking. " I am making gifts. For Ranima, Majhli ma, Rani Dheer Bai

The Journey Begins

“Love is best expressed in actions, than words.” Rukaiya Sultana Begum had accompanied her mothers in law Bega Begum and Hamida Banu Begum to the garden of Babur.  The occasion was indeed special. After years of struggle, Humayun had won back parts of Lahore, against the Suris. It was a long stretch of difficult days that had finally seen some sunshine. Rukaiya, clad in fuchsia pink silk attire embroidered with gold and pearls, appeared before the marble tomb of her late Grandfather, of whom she had only heard tales. Rukaiya knelt before the tomb to offer her prayers, of thanks and gratitude. She knew that today, Jalal would be happy. He had not accompanied his overprotective father and Bairam Khan at war, but was under the care of his tutors instead, near Lahore. It was he who had sent a messenger with the happy news to his mothers. The ladies were relieved. At last, Babur’s dreams were coming true. Rukaiya Begum was happy for a different reason altogether. The messenger had

Unpredictable

" Ohho Dadabhai! I can not walk anymore!" Shakti was panting. Clad in a commoner's attire they had hired a cart for some distance and were now walking to Bijolia. " You have to! We have to go back tomorrow morning otherwise they will be sure we were not at the Kelwara region but elsewhere." He said in an indifferent tone. The stone on the path indicated they had reached Bijolia. " There! Look Dadabhai a mandir!" He smiled. " Thik hai ." Kunwar Pratap shook his head a little displeased. " You can rest a little before going into the main township." " Paani!" Shakti was panting as he sat on a solitary part of the Radha Krishna temple as Kunwar Pratap walked in to seek blessings. At Shakti's cry for water, he started looking around and found a pond visible in the distance.   " Stay here!" He ordered his brother even though he knew very well Shakti won't move from his place. He was at the bank looking at the c

Eternally Yours

Ajabde woke up to find neither the pillow nor the husband beside her. That was really unusual. Has she overslept? No, it was dark and the first birds were singing. She sat up to find that he had neatly arranged the pillows and made his side of the bed and put his blanket over her. She checked the changing room. No, he was not there, but unlike other days his clothes were not in a mess. She freshened up and reached the dressing table. His brooch was not there. Where is he? Has the war... Her heart skipped a beat. What if he had left and not even woken her up? " Daasi? Daasi?" She called as one of them walked in. " Ji Kuwaranisa?" " Where is Kunwarsa?" " He left early in the morning for Dangal and then a visit to the village. Do you need anything?" " No, You may go now." She put on the sindoor in a worry. Maybe something urgent has come up. She walked to the Puja room and was shocked. Her garlands were made, the Chandan was in place and

My Everything

Kunwar Pratap stormed into the Mahal at Gogunda. Happy faces of the chieftains and soldiers welcomed him as Rao Ramrakh and Rawatji stopped the ongoing Raj tilak. A visibly scared Kunwar Jagmal looked clueless at a visibly angry Kunwar Pratap. Rani Dheerbai Bhattiyani hadn't expected this son of Mewar to show up that too twenty-one days after his father's death. He was not informed as per Dheerbai's instructions. She looked at Rawat Ji. He must have gone to Raoji at Bijolia. No one except them knew where Kunwar Pratap was staying. It was for the safety of his family. " What are you doing Chotima?" A disappointed voice came. She could stoop down so low? " We were about to inform you..." She spoke up in her defence. " When Dheerbai ji?" Maharani Jaivanta Bai, clad in white entered the hall as people bowed before her. " After your son's coronation?" " I did nothing Badima I swear!" A low voice came from Jagmal. " Maha

Protectors

Rao Surtan was at the Palace gates as the soldiers tried in vain to attack with arrows. His army was stronger and more competent than the one Balwant headed at the Bijolia Fort Gates. “Break the door” he ordered. “Where is Ajabde?” Hansa looked around the cellar. “Jija!” Ratan exclaimed. “She was on the roof last I saw.” “Ajabde.” Hansa Bai opened the cellar door and stepped out followed by Ratan who was equally worried. “Stay back!” Sajja Bai called in vain as Jaivanta Bai too walked out and up the stairs to the corridors of the Ranimahal in search of Ajabde.  Meanwhile, Surtan’s army had entered the palace and he made his way to the Ranimahal. He was having different thoughts now. Killing Jaivanta Bai won't yield him anything… Maybe capturing a few young maidens… Ratan froze in the corridor seeing the man approach. Behind her were her mother and Jaivanta Bai with the same reaction. “ Jee Bavro ho gayo!” Surtan Singh took out his sword. Ratan took two ste