Skip to main content

Protidaan: Chapter Ten

Dawn was my favourite time of the day back in the village. The cuckoo or magpie would often chirp as the first light of the sun hit the dew-wet grass and often shone like diamonds. I remember Ma used to get up before everyone else and often after a bath, with her wet hair hanging from her shoulder, she would take a walk on the dew-wet grass, urging me and Dada to do the same.  She was the first face I saw every morning, as she either walked into my room to open the windows or stop the alarm urging me to wake up and study. Her ever-smiling face made my mornings.

"It keeps you healthy." She said once, making Dada laugh. Her words had no scientific logic. If anything it gives you a bad cold, Dada would reply before he walked away. Ma wasn't pleased with him being an exact replica of our father. Whether it was because my mother's idea of the world was different or she had wished her children wouldn't grow up to be like the husband she only knew from a distance, I can't tell. All I observed being the person I am is that every time Dada let her down, she would turn to me. She looked at me with hopeful eyes that I'd understand her the way Baba or Dada couldn't. And I somehow always quietly gave in. A part of me agreed with Dada but not everything you do for your loved ones is for the sake of logic. After she was gone, I would often go down at dawn and walk in the lawn bare feet. The dew felt cold under my feet yet somehow I sensed it would make her happy.


Usually, the house would still be asleep for a good thirty minutes more before I heard Thamma call her caregiver Malati Di who would help her to the pond on our premises. Despite adapting to many modern-day amenities this was a habit Thamma couldn't let go of. Then when I heard her blow the conch shell for the morning Pujo, I knew it was exactly half past six and I walked back to my room to get ready for breakfast. Often through the Singhadwar that overlooked the road outside, I could see the milkman cycling to the neighbourhood from the village or the neighbours going to the station for work. Sometimes I could hear Kakima on the verandah or roof, putting wet clothes on the line as she shouted out instructions to Lata. That is how I knew they were early risers. Sometimes the gardener came by, to water the plants and trim the bushes but he stayed quiet and did his job almost like he was invisible to me, perhaps considering that I wanted to be left alone. I didn’t encourage early morning conversations unless absolutely necessary. Sometimes I would see him bring in shrubs or seeds, and go across the street to get them approved. Lata was really taking her hobby of gardening rather seriously.


Occasionally there would be a cart or two, coming from the village and going towards the main road, where occasionally you could hear cars honking. Other than that the rustling leaves, chirping birds and fair silence of the dawn pleased me. Unlike cities, village life was quieter and closer to nature. The only birds that woke me in the mornings of Calcutta were crows and sparrows. Sometimes occasionally there were a bunch of Indian Mynas but I was used to seeing them more in the village. Even their calls sounded harsher in the city. Bibha would say it's in my head. But it's somehow true that everything in the village sounded sweeter.


Lata inherited from my mother her strangest of superstitions. I am not sure if either of her parents had those, but my mother definitely did. One day I was out on the lawn, about to take off my slippers and walk on the grass when I spotted Lata tiptoeing towards a bush. I frowned a little. She wasn't usually at our place well until breakfast or even afterwards. What was she up to so early in the morning? I observed her, fixed to my spot. She pushed the bushes a little and looked disappointed as she turned around and was startled to find me there. Aware of my presence she quickly pushed her wet hair back over her back and was about to walk away.

"What are you looking for?" My question made her stop. She glanced over her shoulder with a sheepish smile as I waited for her answer. I inquired again, this time in my authoritative voice.

"Err… you will laugh." She shook her head. I assured her I wouldn’t.

"I was out on the roof." She pointed at their terrace " And I spotted a single Shalik here." I narrowed my eyebrows at her words. She could understand I was rather clueless so she added "You know how the day goes bad if you see one of them and goes really well when it's two?" She looked away as I was visibly amused. "I was looking for the other one." She stopped as I laughed, shaking my head at her rather silly logic. Lata immediately frowned. "You said you won't laugh, Deb Da." I tried to control my laugh as I nodded.

"You are being silly. Nothing of this sort happens. Believe me." I reassured her. She was definitely not convinced.

"If I have a bad day, it's your fault." She frowned a little as I accepted my fate just to prove her wrong. I diverted the conversation to the flowers she had planted. She eyed me rather judgmentally that I had noticed her flowers only after she had pointed them out. She however proceeded to explain to me how the different flowers need different fertilisers and soil and the amount of water needed to be regulated. She picked up a pink rose, from one of the trimmed brushes filled with buds, and smelled it.

“Here.” She turned to give it to me and smiled, “This is the best quality one from Kashmir.” I didn’t ask how she knew that but listened to her interesting facts on flowers instead. For the first time, I wasn’t annoyed with someone’s conversation ruining my morning. I took the flower from her and smelled it. I had carelessly put it down on the study table in my room and later when it started to dry up, I put some water in the glass and put the rose in. It survived a good number of days on my writing desk.


It was around noon that day when I returned home to find Bibha looking agitated and explaining something to Thamma. Lata would follow her home after school but she wasn’t there so I enquired about it. Bibha shrugged and said "Lata fell off the cycle on the way back home. She must have broken her leg or something. I just came from there." I was a little taken aback as Thamma looked up at my face. 

“Don’t just stand there, go and see.” She almost scolded me. I nodded as I walked out at the same pace I had walked in a moment ago, and went across the street to her house. Kaku wasn’t home and I found Kakima scolding her to be careful. Lata was teary, as she held on to her injured leg, and her white uniform saree was soaked with blood around her right knee. Her younger cousin who was barely five was home and she stood close by to her mother who was by then trying to find someone to call on Kaku. She stopped at my sight at the threshold.

“Deb Babu, can you please send one of your servants over?” She looked puzzled. “I don’t know what to do,” I reassured her, with all the calmness I could find, and called Kanai to fetch the doctor before going back home in a hurry to dial Kaku’s office. Kaku was out on official work and the Peon reassured me that he would inform him as soon as he came back into the office.  I went back inside to find that Kakima had helped Lata lie down on her bed, while she winced in pain. I stood at the threshold a little confused when the knock on the door made her cousin open it for Kanai Da and the doctor. Lata felt very conscious of my presence when the doctor told her to lift the saree to her knees to show him her injury. That prompted me to turn and leave the room. I was pacing the living room when he came out and informed us much to our relief that fortunately nothing was broken. Her bruises would heal in a day or two and she needed to rest until then. I nodded a small thank you, offering him his fees before Kakima could protest as Kanai showed him out. Kakima wouldn’t let me leave without having tea, so I told Kanai to inform Thamma at home that Lata was fine. 


When I walked into her room again while Kakima fried some Beguni to serve me tea with, Lata was half seated on her bed, having changed into a green saree. Her eyes were hurt and she tried hard to not show the pain on her face. I asked her if she was alright to be met with a rather cold stare.

“I told you one Shalik was bad luck, I needed to see the pair.” I was taken aback by her words. I inquired about what happened and forbade her from even trying to get up and work, let alone come over.

“Who would do the chores?” She sounded worried. “Ananta’s books need to be covered and Didi…” She had stopped at my cold stare. I reassured her that they would be fine without her, although I knew otherwise.

I had spent the rest of the day, covering Ananta’s books and listening to Bibha rant about a book she read, patiently. I even tied Ananta’s shoelaces for the next two days without a complaint. But no matter what I did, I wasn’t good enough.

“Didi does it this way.” Ananta would frown at the slightest difference.

“Why aren’t you talking? Lata reacts when I tell stories, otherwise, how will I know if you like it or not?” Bibha complained. Two days later, they were relieved to have Lata back, and so was I. 


The first thing she did, however, entering my room was to eye the withered rose still in the glass. I must admit it smelled foul by then, yet I was too lazy to clean up or let a servant help. She eyed me disapprovingly as I sat on my bed, she picked the glass up and exited the room, murmuring to herself and came back with a fresh glass to keep by the water jug. 

“Where is the flower?” I asked as she frowned.

“It withered. I threw it away.” She shrugged. 

Fele dile?” She frowned at my words, cluelessly. Why would I be interested to keep a withered flower?

“If you like them so much, I can place some in a vase somewhere.” I shook my head at her offer, suddenly conscious of her. Lata didn’t know why I enquired about the withered flower. I had no answers for her if she asked. So I carefully changed the topic to her bruises. As for my opinion on omens, I realised that some things perhaps look better in pairs.




READ ALL CHAPTERS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

His Wife

" Where is the Kesar, Rama? And the Kalash?" Ajabde looked visibly displeased at the daasi who ran. " They are at the fort gates and nothing is ready yet!" She exclaimed. She was clad in a red Jora and the jewellery she had inherited as the first Kunwarani of the crown prince. Little Amar ran down the hallway towards his mother. " Maa sa Maa sa... who is coming with Daajiraj?" His innocent question made her heart sink. " Bhanwar Ji." Sajja Bai called out to him. " Come here I will tell you." Amar rushed to his Majhli Dadisa. " Ajabde." She turned at Jaivanta Bai's call. "They are here." " M... My Aarti thali..." Ajabde looked lost like never before. Jaivanta Bai held her stone-cold hands, making her stop. She patted her head and gave her a hug. The hug gave her the comfort she was looking for as her racing heart calmed down. Jaivanta Bai left her alone with her thaal. " Maa sa!" Amar exclaimed

My Everything

Kunwar Pratap stormed into the Mahal at Gogunda. Happy faces of the chieftains and soldiers welcomed him as Rao Ramrakh and Rawatji stopped the ongoing Raj tilak. A visibly scared Kunwar Jagmal looked clueless at a visibly angry Kunwar Pratap. Rani Dheerbai Bhattiyani hadn't expected this son of Mewar to show up that too twenty-one days after his father's death. He was not informed as per Dheerbai's instructions. She looked at Rawat Ji. He must have gone to Raoji at Bijolia. No one except them knew where Kunwar Pratap was staying. It was for the safety of his family. " What are you doing Chotima?" A disappointed voice came. She could stoop down so low? " We were about to inform you..." She spoke up in her defence. " When Dheerbai ji?" Maharani Jaivanta Bai, clad in white entered the hall as people bowed before her. " After your son's coronation?" " I did nothing Badima I swear!" A low voice came from Jagmal. " Maha

To Protect You

Kunwar Pratap was in court with Rana Udai Singh. The Mughals were conquering a huge part of the north courtesy of Bairam Khan and Mewar on their routes to the ports of Gujarat. " Dajiraj we need to secure the roads leading to Agra and also towards the west. The attack-prone areas should always be under surveillance." " Yes Ranaji. Baojiraj is right." Rawatji agreed.   In the Rani Mahal, everyone was preparing for a grand lunch. Ajabde was making a sweet dish for the princes and princesses and in a hurry, she forgot to add the Kesar and Badam on top. As she served the smaller princes including Kunwar Jagmal, Dheerbai came to inspect her eldest son's food. " What is this? Who made this? Kokoiaji?" She stormed to the kitchen with a bowl of sweet dishes.   " Kunwaranisa did." Came a scary answer, from Veer Bai. " Ajabde Baisa." Her words let out a silent gasp from the lesser queens who stood witness. Calm and composed, Ajabde walked up

Love?

“I swear I can kill that Sakhaveer.” Balwant swung his sword at the Dangal as Ratan and Ajabde looked on. Ajabde hid a smile as Ratan looked amused. “Like you did last time?” Ratan’s chuckle made Ajabde press her hands with a soft no as Balwant stopped his sword and looked angry. “What do you know Ratan?” He roared angrily. “What do girls know anyways about fighting??” “Jija can fight better than you.” Ratan looked angry and defensive. “Ratan! Leave it.” Ajabde insisted. “No!! Jija, I saw you, you are better…” “Then let’s have a duel Jija.” Balwant insisted. “No.” Ajabde looked surprised and shaken. “It’s been such a long time since I have …” “No excuses Jija, teach him! That girls can be…” Ratan insisted as Balwant handed her a sword she took rather reluctantly. She tied the corners of her dupatta together and her braid in a bun. Kunwar Pratap was making his way out at the Dangal when he heard swords clash. He gathered the father-son duo would be at the Dangal

Chapter Two: Catastrophe

Abhaya was suffocating as she could now taste the soot and ash in her mouth. She could see the smoke engulf her. The boxes around her turned into shadows in the blurred vision. She opened her mouth to breathe but the choking air wanted to make her cough. She ran, stumbling upon some boxes and utensils towards the window on the other side. It was shut firmly and her weak hands could do little to move it an inch. She placed the end of her saree over her face and coughed, hoping not to be heard from the outside. The sound of chaos and footsteps outside was increasing. She heard a scream. Was it her mother? Her sister? Or one of the sisters-in-law? Were they escaping? Should she try too? She tried to find something to break the window with, but instead, she froze at the sight of flames entering through the cracks of the door she had shut behind her. Abhaya said a soft prayer. This is how it ends. This was not the country her father served. This was not the country her mother read stories o

Understandings

After counting days, Ajabde was happy that she was going to Bijolia. She knew how eager her mother and Ratan would be to know about her new life. She couldn't wait to hug her mother and feel like... Home. She was selecting gifts for her parents and her siblings as per Ranima's instructions. Then suddenly an idea struck her mind. Her new family welcomed her with so much love and support. Especially Ranima and Majhli Maa Sa. She wanted to give them something. Suddenly she remembered that Ranima had loved her embroidery work on dupattas back in Bijolia so she called a Dasi and ordered some plain Chunris and embroidery threads. She had a lot of work to finish in a day before leaving.   Kunwar Pratap came back into the room to see her on the floor, right in the middle of the room with red, green, yellow, and pink all sorts of dupattas scattered. " What's all this?" He asked not sure if he should be asking. " I am making gifts. For Ranima, Majhli ma, Rani Dheer Bai

Destiny

The war was almost won.  A few of Marwar’s soldiers were left on the field along with Rao Maldeo Singh Rathore, their king and leader.  He was thinking of retreating at the end of this day. As his sword clashed with one of the opponent generals as he eyed the opponent King now open and prone to attack. A little hope flickered in his mind as his eyes instructed his closest aide.  The opponent was quite in a winning situation thanks to their new Senapati. He was just 16 yet his bravery and valour reflected his blood and upbringing. He mesmerised the opponents and even Rao Maldeo with his clever war strategies and sword skills. As Maldeo’s aide swung his sword at a taken aback Udai Singh, someone’s sword defended it as his body acted like a shield for the king. He killed the man in one go. “ Ranaji are you okay?” “ Haan Raoji.” He nodded gratefully.  By half the day, the Marwar army had retreated as the air filled with “ Jai Mewar! Jai Eklingji!” From the triumphant soldiers. Rana Udai Si

Towards You

Kunwar Pratap and Ajabde were friends. He didn't feel awkward sharing his plans and thoughts with her anymore. She was more than happy to advise him on everything. She was happy he listened to her advice before taking or discarding them, be it on what to wear to Padmavati's Sagai or how to befriend the revolting Bhils. He loved the way Ajabde always used metaphors from Puranas and Ramayanas to explain the toughest things so easily. She expressed herself so well, so easily that it amazed him.   The Afghans were now led by Mehmood Shah. They have made secret territories in the forests and waited to attack. Rawatji and his spies had confirmed the news and Udai Singh had warned Mehmood Shah to withdraw his troops from Mewar in vain. Now, it was time they declared war. Mehmood Shah had limited resources in Mewar. And his spies clearly suggested that in no way could he win, especially with Kunwar Pratap leading his troops. He was having second thoughts about the war. One of his aides

Friends?

Early morning, Ajabde walked into Saubhagyawati’s house as the Panditji looked relieved. “Baisa you are here now I don’t need to look after anything.” She walked into Saubhagyawati’s room and found her braiding her hair nervously. Her lehenga looked beautiful and only the maangtika was about to be put so Ajabde did the honours. Saubhagyawati held her hand and took a deep breath. “Ajabde have a confession.” “What is it Bhago?” She looked worried. “Are you scared?” “No no Ajabde it’s not that. I… met him… before…” “Whom?” “The one who is coming to see me.” She looked away scared. “What? How…” Ajabde looked at her with wide eyes. “woh… Both nights when I waited for you in the…” “Hai Bhagwan Bhago! What if he says that seeing you in front of your father?”  Ajabde spoke up as Bhago looked shocked. Why didn’t she think that before? “What will we do now?” Bhago asked worriedly. Ajabde was lost in thoughts. No way could people know. The groom had arrived with

Love Struck

A new dawn was about to break in Mewar. Kunwar Pratap shifted in his bed, as the lamp shone in the darkness. He was now facing her sleeping figure. Her hand rested on the pillow between them, the pillow he chose to keep there in the first place but now it seemed like the symbol of the distance he wanted to bridge between their hearts. He stared at it lost in thoughts. I promised myself to make you mine, But how? What if you... He stared at the sleeping figure admitting in silence that no one, even the bravest enemy scared him like her calm composed self did. I am thinking like a typical husband. He smiled. What to do now Ajabde? I am terrible with my words unlike you. Pratap Singh! You need to learn a few things! He looked back at the ceiling in his thoughts. What if I drop hints? She knows me so well, maybe she will understand without me actually speaking for myself. The thoughts made his face light up. Yes, Yes that will be perfect. Let's try this. But... First thing first... so