Skip to main content

Scarlet

The first time I saw her face, Alakananda was eight years old. Her collyrium-drawn dark eyes were peeping scared from behind the betel leaves shaped like the spade of cards. She held the aces that day though, I am sure of it. The reluctant twenty-something Rathindra Nath Majumder, inspired by the Swadeshi Movement to make a difference but too scared to oppose his authoritarian father on the topic of marriage, had suddenly felt a knot in his stomach at her haunting stare. My only condition was that the girl had to be poor, someone we could save from a miserable life, without a dowry; something my father flaunted to his last breath. The conch shells echoed and the Ululation of the ladies through the silent winter night, as the priest handed me the red powder, supposed to be used to mark my territories. Man and his primitive needs to mark what is his. My eyes couldn't help but travel to her face, even when the priest forbade me to do so. As a little bit of vermillion dropped on her nose, making her scrunch, the red on her hairline established a truth. She was mine. But was I hers? I stared at the vermillion on the tip of my fingers for a good few minutes. Men, unlike women, had no such symbols of a union. Women didn’t mark their territories. They made homes. The rest of the night seemed to have blurred in my memory. 
I remember an intimidated Alakananda being scrutinised by all my relatives. The boastful Pishi, the keen Mashi, the displeased Jethima, the Kakima who always spoke out of turn, and a line of Boudis. Timid as she was, lost in the sea of women, she perhaps wished she had a mother-in-law, right at that moment when the eight-year-old was left on her own, among the strangers, judging the colour of her skin, her hair and her moles. No, I was not part of the conversation. But this is what sisters are for. They give you every piece of unwanted information, especially when it comes to your new bride. But, perhaps I scared her more. I was foolish enough to keep the bone set needed for my M.B.B.S. hanging from the hook in one corner of my room. The naive village girl who obviously had no idea what I did for a living, happened to catch a glimpse of the skeleton and ran for her life shrieking her lungs out. She bumped into me in the corridor, shuddering in fear. That is when I realised my mistake, and everyone else had a good laugh at the poor creature’s expense as she chose to hide in shame behind me 

Baba always said the house lacked a woman’s touch. After all, all of us were raised by him alone. Many times he was lured into the idea of remarriage by relatives, something men in our days took great pride in, but he refused to let another woman and her children take over what was ours. He doted on us, we three brothers and two sisters practically raised ourselves as he worked day and night to give us the life we deserved. We had by then developed a habit of looking out for each other. I often wondered how this timid soul,  all of eight, with no awareness of the world, could make a house, a home. Father had lofty dreams and expectations while Alakananda had limited knowledge.

She had become “Nanda”, “Bouma” and “Bouthan” quite quickly for the family. But running a household? What head and tail did she make of it?


My busy schedule kept me away for most parts of the day. Most nights I returned home, to food on the table and a half-asleep Nanda dozing off on the living room couch while waiting for me. She wouldn’t eat until I finished like it would be a great sin to the child if she ever felt hungry. I wondered who taught her all that. The girl seemed to have no voice. She nodded, smiled, and she agreed to everything I said. Almost like I was the ultimate law, the almighty, the universal truth of her existence. I often wondered, did she not have questions at all? If she did, was she scared to speak her mind? Perhaps. After all, my father’s booming voice, my absence and my brothers having quite an opinion didn’t help her much. Not to mention the elder ladies who happened to come by every now and then and take over the household chores before they left again.


When I was home, I began to teach her to read and write. That is when  I began to tell her my opinions, on right from wrong. Every night, sitting on the diagonally opposite ends of the four-poster bed, we would exchange lessons, with books scattered between us. She slowly began to ask questions. I didn’t always have the answers. But I tried. Sometimes, we fell asleep in the middle of reading, sometimes we curled up on our preferred corners, or on our back, wide awake, contemplating a conversation or lesson. She was still scared of the skeleton. I had to put it away in the study room.


One summer evening I hastily returned home. I had cut myself carelessly with the scalpel, and the blood refused to stop. I was used to that.  I called our old man servant Kesab to come with the first aid as I held my bleeding finger and pressed my lips in pain. The nupur grabbed my attention as she ran in, with water, cloth and a mix of turmeric paste, her face pale at the sight of blood, her eyes worried. Before I could enquire into the absence of Kesab she had started dressing my wound with her small red Alta-painted hands. Nobody ever dressed my wounds. In fact, my will to become a doctor came from looking after four siblings in their sicknesses.

“It’s okay, it will be fine,” I reassured her as she looked worried at my face.

“You shouldn’t be allowed to go to work ever again.” She blurted, eyes teary, lips pouted. I laughed at her words. I stared at the bandage remembering all the times I had to hide my bruises and cuts and dress them myself as she gathered her things and ran back down the corridor, clearly disappointed at my amusement. But that day, she left a lingering feeling of warmth in her care. Perhaps she made the house my home after all, in her own small yet significant ways. 


In between her Putul Khela, books and occasional moments of bliss in the rain, she made friends with my siblings. It was like she was the missing piece of the puzzle for the house. Her absence would make it impossible to paint the picture of our home. From dawn to dusk, everyone doted on her, depended on her, took her side and listened to her. She cooked everyone’s favourite meals, at least once a week, making sure nobody left the house hungry and keeping everything in place. The nights were ours. To learn about the world, speak our minds, and for her to let go of the inhibitions that she carried on her shoulders through the day, drop the Ghomta carelessly and laugh freely. She knew she could do that around me. Nobody taught her that. We were slowly finding our own definition of marital bliss as months rolled into years quietly.


The first time she was angry with me, over something so trivial that I can’t even remember it now, I was at my wit’s end. What was I supposed to do? No amount of coaxing with the glass bangles, toys and new books could make her talk. My siblings were amused, I was helpless. It took a little frog to make her reconcile. Well, if you call running into my arms, hoping to be protected from the jumping creature in the corner of the room, that. That was also the first time I held her. My arms wrapped around her instinctively in a protective gesture as she closed her eyes, trembling and complaining about the frog. I gathered it in a shoe box and let it go. It eased us out some more to each other’s presence in the room.


Within a matter of a few years, I had seen her turn into a lady from the child that she was. Her innocence was snatched by puberty and the pain of her first periods, and for the first time in my life, I stood up in front of my father, demanding to end the age-old traditions related to isolating a menstruating woman. Whether it was because of my profession, or because I spoke for my wife, he agreed. I had spent five days nursing her, while she looked scared and clueless about the process. Nobody had ever told her anything about it. Neither her mother nor her sisters. I reminded myself I was a professional, I took the oath to care for patients. But was she a patient? Her pain moved me. 


I gathered my thoughts on the third day and approached her gently. The last thing I wanted was for her to be misinformed or scared of it. I knew the maids made her feel like it was a curse. A sin upon the body of women. I explained the true purpose of such a phenomenon. Motherhood. A gift only women had, to create life within them. She was intrigued. She clearly had questions, answering which were not easy for me. I handed her a book instead. Something she could read, and understand by now. It suddenly made us warier of each other’s presence. Or perhaps the role nature had dedicated to us, to play in each other’s life. She was conscious, distant and shy. I was confused, awkward and clueless. I couldn’t tell what she thought of me anymore, now that she knew our relationship was meant for something more than being playmates and studying about the universe.


By the time the next summer approached, Alakananda had abandoned her dolls, her wooden animals and her Putuler Biye and traded them for novels. She would often sneak around the study in the afternoon looking up books and reading some of them. Sometimes, conscious of my judgemental look at her favourite romance novels, she would wrap them up, in newspapers, and hide them within her study books. I was too busy as a young practitioner to teach her anymore. My old headmaster volunteered. She quickly became his favourite student. They spend most of the study time talking about my childhood, much to my annoyance. She didn’t need to know that side of me. What if she lost respect for the dignified serious doctor she was intimidated by and called her husband?


My brother’s wedding was her chance to show the relatives who once judged her, that she was worthy of being the daughter-in-law of the house. She was by now aware that her poor family was “grateful” to me for choosing their dowerless girl. Whether she thought the same or not, she never said anything. Instead, she was busy impressing everyone around the house, except me; like I was invisible to her sight, left with a group of middle-aged uncles, busy discussing politics. 

She says she remembers the wedding because it gave her a sister in Mahasweta, my brother’s chosen bride. I remember the wedding because it made me realise that I was captivated by my wife. She had chosen to wear the same red Benarasi saree from our wedding. Almost like a thunderbolt hit me, I stared at her, my gaze making her laugh a little nervously as she placed the ghomta over her bunned hair. For the first time, looking at her, decked up similarly, yet very different from seven years ago, I realised she was a woman. My woman. 

And what kind of a man would I be if I didn’t let my woman know that I saw her differently? She had blushed to my touch, shuddered at our union, whispering to me that she was waiting to be accepted, as a lone tear trickled down her eye. Silly woman, had she underestimated her value in my life so much? I never knew. If I did, I would borrow words from the greatest bards and poets, and weave to her, praises, like the ones she read about, to reveal to her my deepest emotions. I just didn’t know after years of knowing each other’s every breath and beat, I needed words to reassure her.


Here I am today, thousands of miles away, her picture in my hand, as I make a voyage back to the shores of my motherland. A picture ten years younger, perhaps different. My career, my will to serve people, and my degree brought me here, on the shores of a foreign land, on the other side of the globe, away from family, friends and her. I yearn to see her again, six years later, hoping to find a home in the familiar smile, concern and touch. Her letters lay neatly between my clothes in the trunk, very few exchanged due to postage issues and cost. Yet every letter, every word, curved in ink, blotted on paper, precious as she poured out her soul in them. 


Perhaps she is older and wiser, running the home, and taking care of things, a little different than the timid scared Nanda I left behind, or perhaps she is still the same. I know I have changed. The uncertainties of war and turbulent times made me realise I should speak my mind more often, get to know people, and perhaps even learn from their differences. I have learnt to value life, home and family. I have realised how badly I could miss her.   As I lie on my bunk, on the swaying ship in the middle of the ocean, I picture her in my mind’s eyes waiting at the threshold, teary-eyed yet with a  smile on her lips, for me. Perhaps we would start over again, with awkward glances, conscious touches, shy hugs and stolen moments. Perhaps we would fall in love once again, with different versions of ourselves and each other, discovering each other’s peeves and nuances all over again. My hand traces her filled hairline in the picture as I smile at the sunset. I had marked her mine with vermillion. But she had marked me hers, in every beat of the heart, and every drop of blood I live with. 

I can’t wait to see her again.


Image Courtesy: Pinterest


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Everything

Kunwar Pratap stormed into the Mahal at Gogunda. Happy faces of the chieftains and soldiers welcomed him as Rao Ramrakh and Rawatji stopped the ongoing Raj tilak. A visibly scared Kunwar Jagmal looked clueless at a visibly angry Kunwar Pratap. Rani Dheerbai Bhattiyani hadn't expected this son of Mewar to show up that too twenty-one days after his father's death. He was not informed as per Dheerbai's instructions. She looked at Rawat Ji. He must have gone to Raoji at Bijolia. No one except them knew where Kunwar Pratap was staying. It was for the safety of his family. " What are you doing Chotima?" A disappointed voice came. She could stoop down so low? " We were about to inform you..." She spoke up in her defence. " When Dheerbai ji?" Maharani Jaivanta Bai, clad in white entered the hall as people bowed before her. " After your son's coronation?" " I did nothing Badima I swear!" A low voice came from Jagmal. " Maha

His Wife

" Where is the Kesar, Rama? And the Kalash?" Ajabde looked visibly displeased at the daasi who ran. " They are at the fort gates and nothing is ready yet!" She exclaimed. She was clad in a red Jora and the jewellery she had inherited as the first Kunwarani of the crown prince. Little Amar ran down the hallway towards his mother. " Maa sa Maa sa... who is coming with Daajiraj?" His innocent question made her heart sink. " Bhanwar Ji." Sajja Bai called out to him. " Come here I will tell you." Amar rushed to his Majhli Dadisa. " Ajabde." She turned at Jaivanta Bai's call. "They are here." " M... My Aarti thali..." Ajabde looked lost like never before. Jaivanta Bai held her stone-cold hands, making her stop. She patted her head and gave her a hug. The hug gave her the comfort she was looking for as her racing heart calmed down. Jaivanta Bai left her alone with her thaal. " Maa sa!" Amar exclaimed

Chapter Three: Pedigree

  The Imperial Police work was a tough job. The family had no idea what Superintendent Animesh Kumar Mukhopadhyay went through to provide for his family and their luxurious lives. Abhaya’s father never failed to let his family know that. Every time he drank down his sins. Every time he came home drunk. Every time he beat his wife. Abhaya would often sit awake all night, her pillow pressed against her ears as she sobbed silently, hoping that her mother’s begging sobs and father’s lewd language would stop. One day she had opened the door of her room slightly and was about to step out when her sister-in-law intervened. Her face was dark as she coldly told Abhaya to return to her room. She would be punished if her elder brothers found out about her trying to get out of her chambers at night. Abhaya at twelve knew one truth greater than others. Men were like this, women had to tiptoe around them to serve them as they demanded.  She was intimidated by the regular chores the women of the hous

To Protect You

Kunwar Pratap was in court with Rana Udai Singh. The Mughals were conquering a huge part of the north courtesy of Bairam Khan and Mewar on their routes to the ports of Gujarat. " Dajiraj we need to secure the roads leading to Agra and also towards the west. The attack-prone areas should always be under surveillance." " Yes Ranaji. Baojiraj is right." Rawatji agreed.   In the Rani Mahal, everyone was preparing for a grand lunch. Ajabde was making a sweet dish for the princes and princesses and in a hurry, she forgot to add the Kesar and Badam on top. As she served the smaller princes including Kunwar Jagmal, Dheerbai came to inspect her eldest son's food. " What is this? Who made this? Kokoiaji?" She stormed to the kitchen with a bowl of sweet dishes.   " Kunwaranisa did." Came a scary answer, from Veer Bai. " Ajabde Baisa." Her words let out a silent gasp from the lesser queens who stood witness. Calm and composed, Ajabde walked up

Struggles and Tests

Kunwar Pratap ran to hug his mother. Jaivanta Bai smiled pleased looking at him. Sajja Bai had accompanied her here with the Bhattiyani queen and had reached out to her sister in Marwar for shelter with the princesses until the war ended. She refused to stay like a commoner at Samant’s house. “Majhli Maasa.” Kunwar Pratap touched her feet and got a hug in return. “ Where is Chotima?” “She went to Mehrangarh.” Jaivanta Bai replied. Dressed simply in a blue lehenga and silver jewellery she still looked elegant. The sound of Payal made everyone turn as Hansa smiled at her daughter. “This is Ajabde. My eldest.” Ajabde stepped forward to touch the queen’s feet while Kunwar Pratap stepped back carefully watching the scene with a smile. Jaivanta Bai cupped her face and noticed her son’s reaction in silence. “Ajabde show them the guest rooms.” After the refreshments, Hansa Bai instructed her while Kunwar Pratap left in a hurry followed by Balwant who now kind of worshipped him.

Disguise

I am not going to lose so easily. I still have my last hope left. Baijilal, I am coming,  Dheerbai smiled to herself as the Palki continued its journey. She had done everything, cried, fallen at Ranaji’s feet and sought forgiveness from Jaivanta Bai to make them believe her. She had won over Ranaji again, enough to accompany them on the journey. Kunwar Pratap smiled at the letter that arrived for him at Telhati. He read it thrice before telling Chakrapani “Ranima wants me to meet them at… Bijolia!” “Laxmi. Eat now, what is wrong with you?” Ajabde was in a bad mood as she scolded Laxmi who refused to eat. “Laxmi. Actually, people don’t know how to talk with love.” The voice behind her made her jump. "Please eat Laxmi.” He walked past her to Laxmi patting her towards the bucket gently. “You…You…” She looked scared. “I…I…” He smiled. “Here?” She frowned. “Here.” He nodded. “Why?” She dreaded the answer. “Because “ He stepped forward as she stepped back. “

Chapter Four: Imprisoned

Abhaya was thrown into a room without windows and the doors were chained shut. It was dark and damp and the walls smelled of gathered dust. She could sense the chains being locked as she heard voices outside. She tried to get up but her bruised knees and weak body failed her. She stumbled on the cold stone floor to notice the mattress on one side and a pot of water on the other. What were they going to do to her? Was she the only one here? Where were her parents? In the Summer heat also she felt a shiver in her body. She briefly remembered her house up in flames, the bottles of kerosene being thrown at the open windows. Torches around the house, chanting slogans. The screams of the women. The last time she saw her elder brothers was when they picked up the pistols and canes from around the house. She realised her father was not home when she ran down the corridor towards the chaos, her heart on her throat. The loud sound of the car burning and the screams of her mother made her freeze.

Understandings

After counting days, Ajabde was happy that she was going to Bijolia. She knew how eager her mother and Ratan would be to know about her new life. She couldn't wait to hug her mother and feel like... Home. She was selecting gifts for her parents and her siblings as per Ranima's instructions. Then suddenly an idea struck her mind. Her new family welcomed her with so much love and support. Especially Ranima and Majhli Maa Sa. She wanted to give them something. Suddenly she remembered that Ranima had loved her embroidery work on dupattas back in Bijolia so she called a Dasi and ordered some plain Chunris and embroidery threads. She had a lot of work to finish in a day before leaving.   Kunwar Pratap came back into the room to see her on the floor, right in the middle of the room with red, green, yellow, and pink all sorts of dupattas scattered. " What's all this?" He asked not sure if he should be asking. " I am making gifts. For Ranima, Majhli ma, Rani Dheer Bai

Destiny

The war was almost won.  A few of Marwar’s soldiers were left on the field along with Rao Maldeo Singh Rathore, their king and leader.  He was thinking of retreating at the end of this day. As his sword clashed with one of the opponent generals as he eyed the opponent King now open and prone to attack. A little hope flickered in his mind as his eyes instructed his closest aide.  The opponent was quite in a winning situation thanks to their new Senapati. He was just 16 yet his bravery and valour reflected his blood and upbringing. He mesmerised the opponents and even Rao Maldeo with his clever war strategies and sword skills. As Maldeo’s aide swung his sword at a taken aback Udai Singh, someone’s sword defended it as his body acted like a shield for the king. He killed the man in one go. “ Ranaji are you okay?” “ Haan Raoji.” He nodded gratefully.  By half the day, the Marwar army had retreated as the air filled with “ Jai Mewar! Jai Eklingji!” From the triumphant soldiers. Rana Udai Si

Protectors

Rao Surtan was at the Palace gates as the soldiers tried in vain to attack with arrows. His army was stronger and more competent than the one Balwant headed at the Bijolia Fort Gates. “Break the door” he ordered. “Where is Ajabde?” Hansa looked around the cellar. “Jija!” Ratan exclaimed. “She was on the roof last I saw.” “Ajabde.” Hansa Bai opened the cellar door and stepped out followed by Ratan who was equally worried. “Stay back!” Sajja Bai called in vain as Jaivanta Bai too walked out and up the stairs to the corridors of the Ranimahal in search of Ajabde.  Meanwhile, Surtan’s army had entered the palace and he made his way to the Ranimahal. He was having different thoughts now. Killing Jaivanta Bai won't yield him anything… Maybe capturing a few young maidens… Ratan froze in the corridor seeing the man approach. Behind her were her mother and Jaivanta Bai with the same reaction. “ Jee Bavro ho gayo!” Surtan Singh took out his sword. Ratan took two ste