Skip to main content

Feast & Future

1617, Burhanpur.

Nur Jahan had arranged for the grandest feast Shehzaade Khurram had ever seen in his honour. Jahangir was immensely proud of his son’s success. In between his sips on the third cup of wine, Nur Jahan carefully regulated the quantity, he had smiled at his son, sitting across the carpet from him, as the aroma of the delicacies filled the air. He had just arrived to pay his respect to the emperor and empress and brought with him the good news of the well-being of his newborn daughter, Roshanara. He also announced that Mumtaj Mahal was pregnant again, and the Pir Baba they met had predicted her next, son, to be some sort of trouble. Jahangir frowned a little as Nur Jahan dismissed the idea with a wave of her hand.

“A newborn can’t be any sort of trouble. We just need to take care of his upbringing well. Of which, by God’s grace, Mumtaj Mahal is fully capable.” She was reassured as Khurram agreed.

Ladli Begum sat in front of the mirror, adjusting the neatly tied braid. She was wearing her best clothes and was ready for the feast when Hoshiyar Khan came and bowed.

“Padshah Begum has ordered me to inform you that your presence is not needed in the royal feast.” She frowned at his words and stared right at him “But the Padshah said I could attend.” Hoshiyar Khan cleared his throat a little awkwardly. “She also showed displeasure at you asking the Padshah Salamaat yourself. The feast is only for the royal family.” Ladli Begum looked down at the carpet and tightened her jaws.

“Send her my apologies.” She said as Hoshiyar Khan was about to leave “And Hoshiyar?” Her words stopped him as she said “Will Shehzaade leave after the feast?”

“I think he will stay the night.” Hoshiyar said, “Do you have any message for him?”

“What?” Ladli Begum looked absent-minded as she looked up “No, No! You may leave.” Ladli looked at her reflection in the mirror and wiped away the paint-tinted red from her lips.

“All of you leave, I want to be alone.” She ordered her handmaids.

The feast went on till late. They discussed the next expeditions, the health of Sultana Begum, the sudden illness of Jagat Gossain that had the emperor worried and the flora and fauna that often mesmerized the emperor.

“Visit Jagat Gossain sometime.” Nur Jahan urged him “She will be glad to see you, as will be Sultana Begum.” He nodded in agreement. Musicians entertained them through the feast and often as they savoured the food or listened to the music Nur Jahan noticed him lost in thoughts. 

“I thought I would get to see your children today.” She smiled “You should have brought them along.”

“Mumtaj Mahal isn’t fit to travel and she barely leaves them out of her sight.” Khurram smiled “I will surely let her know that you asked for their presence. How is Ladli Begum?” He asked.

Nur Jahan was about to answer when Jahangir narrowed his eyes “Wasn’t she supposed to attend the feast?”

“Yes, but she is unwell, and sent her apologies.” Nur Jahan said in a haste “She is fine now.”

“I should visit her. I had told her I would if she visited Burhanpur.” Shehzade Khurram said almost to himself.

“That will not be necessary Shehzaade. She understands you are quite busy.” Nur Jahan smiled. Khurram nodded.

Ladli Begum walked out of her room, to the gardens, after she saw the light of the Padshah’s bedroom go out for the night. The empress was busy and tired. Her mother had no time for her. Nor did Shehzaade Khurram mention meeting her. He probably didn’t know she was here. Ladli walked out to the gardens wrapping a pashmina shawl over her cold shoulders.

“There you are.” His voice startled her. 

“Shehzaade Khurram.” Ladli tried in vain to suppress the excitement in her voice “It is good to see you again.”

“Guess what? I am going to share this news with you first.” Khurram smiled “I have a new title”

“A title?” Ladli Begum looked pleasantly surprised. “What is it?”

“Padshah Salamat gave me the name Shah Jahan. Henceforth I am no longer Shehzaade Khurram to you.” His voice made Ladli smile and bow.

“Welcome back to Burhanpur Shehzaade Shah Jahan!” Ladli smiled. “Your title is very kingly!”

“Yes indeed, I can’t wait to tell the Begums. They will be thrilled.” Khurram nodded.

“I am happy you shared with me. And I am happy for your success.” 

“So you did come after all.” Khurram smiled sitting down on one of the marble benches. “I told you Burhanpur is beautiful.”

“It is indeed.” Ladli stood in front of him. 

“And I did keep my promise in meeting you. You should have been at the feast.” Shehzade Khurram smiled “Are you alright?”

“I am. I wanted to. I was almost ready and...” she stopped carefully “You will leave at dawn?”

“Yes, I am kind of on a tight schedule right now.” He shrugged “I wish I could sit and have a chat with you like old times...”

“Why! We can do that. Now.” Ladli smiled. “It's hours till dawn.”

“Are you not sleepy?” He asked.

“I can sleep any time, but you won’t be here tomorrow.” Ladli Begum sat down beside him with a smile.

“Do you remember the poems I taught you? I have become so rusty lately.” Khurram asked.

“All by heart.” Ladli beamed. “I think you know a lot of things better than me now, so poetry won’t matter.”

“Well, I know how to kill tigers, maybe not like the empress. She killed two tigers in a single shot.” He spoke.

“Yes, the day before yesterday. I saw them. They were huge.” Ladli put out her arms in excitement and stretched them to show the sizes and her shawl fell off. Khurram picked it up and wrapped it around her as she grew awkward and conscious of herself.

“C’mon, are you being conscious of decorum around me? Ladli, you are like a breath of fresh air in your childishness.” Khurram smiled, letting go of the shawl as she grabbed it after he wrapped it around her.

“Tell that to Padshah Begum. She would have stared like this...” Ladli imitated her mother’s disapproving glance and giggled. Khurram laughed with her. 

Nur Jahan pushed the curtains of her dark chambers apart and caught a glimpse of two figures laughing softly in the garden. It didn’t take her a second to guess who they were. A frown arched her brows and filled her eyes with worry. 

“Hoshiyar?” She called out as Hoshiyar appeared alert behind her. “Tell Ladli Begum I want to meet her first thing in the morning. And tell her now.”

When Hoshiyar conveyed the message both Shehzaade Khurram and Ladli Begum frowned. Colour flushed from her cheeks as Khurram noticed her sitting in silence and reassured “Maybe your mother is concerned about your health. You were unwell after all before the feast.” He shrugged.

“What?I?” Ladli Begum looked up and sighed.

“I should go.” Shehzaade Khurram got up. “I have to get ready and leave at dawn.” Ladli Begum nodded.

“I had a great time Ladli Begum, thank you.” Khurram smiled as she smiled back. Not a word passed her lips. They only parted slightly and then formed a smile. Khurram walked away briskly towards his chambers while Ladli sighed making her way to hers.

Nur Jahan was getting ready for court when Ladli Begum came and bowed shortly to her. It was evident that she was wearing the same clothes since the day before, her hair was messy and the dark circles under her eyes were proof of her lack of sleep.

“Did you not sleep well yesterday?” Nur Jahan dismissed the handmaids and spoke to her daughter, staring at her reflection in the mirror. Ladli Begum stood, hands together near her hip, eyes lowered in silence.

“Where were you all night? Hoshiyar said you were not in your chamber.” She said adjusting her neckpiece. Ladli Begum inhaled and smiled faintly.

“You know where I was. And that’s why you called me here.” Her straightforward answer made Nur Jahan’s hands stop as she turned to stare directly at her daughter.

“I called you because I was concerned about you.”

“What kind of concern makes you lie to the Padshah Salamat that I am sick, Padshah Begum?” Ladli said scornfully at her mother.

“How dare you talk to me like that?” Nur Jahan got up and walked up to her. “Do you have any idea of the kind of rumours that you have to face if people start gossiping about you spending a night with Shehzaade Shah Jahan?” Nur Jahan placed her hands on her daughter’s shoulder firmly “I was trying to protect you.”

Ladli Begum shook her hands off her shoulder and said “Protect me? Is that what you call taking away all the means of my happiness?”

“Enough now!” Nur Jahan said, “You are not fit to be with Shehzaade Shah Jahan.”

“Why not?” Ladli Begum asked, staring right at her mother “He cares for me. Mumtaj Mahal is my sister. I like him!”

“That’s all you think is needed? Care? Kin? Liking?” Nur Jahan shrugged “Stop being so naive Ladli Begum, have you not learnt anything in this Harem?”

“What do you mean?” She asked.

“I mean Shah Jahan has already given his heart and his priority to someone else. You are neither that talented nor beautiful to replace her. I am not going to let you be someone’s secondary wife. You are my daughter.”

“But... what if I say I love him?” Ladli Begum tried hard yet the tears blurring her vision fell mercilessly on her cheeks.

“Then I will say love is not enough. You will soon realise that. You will also realise he was helping you, caring for you and protecting you because of me. He wants to be in my good books. He wants to keep me pleased since the Padshah listens to me.”

“Please stop it!” Ladli Begum walked back two steps “Stop talking like that! Not everything in the world is about you.” Her voice cracked.

“I am afraid that it is the truth. First, he did it for Arjumand, then for me. Never did he actually care about you.” Nur Jahan said, “If you don’t believe me, I can’t help it.”

“Please...” Ladli Begum urged “Let me talk to him once.”

“I am writing to Shehzaade Khusrau.” Nur Jahan spoke coldly, looking away.

“Why?” Ladli Begum frowned. 

“The palace spies tell me he recently had a fallout with his wife. Maybe he will be interested in a new one.”

“Shehzaade Khusrau?” Ladli Begum looked shocked “I will never marry him!”

“Why not?” Nur Jahan frowned “He is blind and yet the Padshah has a soft corner for him. If he marries you and lets you run his harem, I can win his favour with the Padshah Salamat and declare him an heir. You and I can rule on his behalf then.” Nur Jahan shrugged “ And he will respect and honour you more than Shehzaade Shah Jahan.”

“I can’t believe you are being so selfish for power.” Ladli let out a taunting laugh “ You are jeopardizing my life, and double-crossing Shehzaade Shah Jahan!”

“Stop sounding like that” Nur Jahan scolded “You don’t realise I am doing this for you. So that your husband honours and respects you as an individual and you have a say. And you can one day inherit what I have as a co-regent.”

“I don’t want all of that!” Ladli Begum shook her head “I want none of what you have. I just want a simple life and I want to love!”

“Then you are looking in the wrong places.” Nur Jahan said “I have sent a letter already to Khusrau. This is not the place for love.”

“You can’t do this to me!” Ladli Begum cried “You are saying there is no place for love? You?”

“Yes, I am.” Nur Jahan raised her voice as Ladli sobbed “I am because I don’t want you to end up forgotten in a corner of this harem like thousands of others. Punish me for being a mother who wants the best life for you.”

Ladli Begum ran out of her room, in tears, as Nur Jahan sighed heavily, a little tear sparkling in her eyes.


READ STORY HERE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

His Wife

" Where is the Kesar, Rama? And the Kalash?" Ajabde looked visibly displeased at the daasi who ran. " They are at the fort gates and nothing is ready yet!" She exclaimed. She was clad in a red Jora and the jewellery she had inherited as the first Kunwarani of the crown prince. Little Amar ran down the hallway towards his mother. " Maa sa Maa sa... who is coming with Daajiraj?" His innocent question made her heart sink. " Bhanwar Ji." Sajja Bai called out to him. " Come here I will tell you." Amar rushed to his Majhli Dadisa. " Ajabde." She turned at Jaivanta Bai's call. "They are here." " M... My Aarti thali..." Ajabde looked lost like never before. Jaivanta Bai held her stone-cold hands, making her stop. She patted her head and gave her a hug. The hug gave her the comfort she was looking for as her racing heart calmed down. Jaivanta Bai left her alone with her thaal. " Maa sa!" Amar exclaimed

My Everything

Kunwar Pratap stormed into the Mahal at Gogunda. Happy faces of the chieftains and soldiers welcomed him as Rao Ramrakh and Rawatji stopped the ongoing Raj tilak. A visibly scared Kunwar Jagmal looked clueless at a visibly angry Kunwar Pratap. Rani Dheerbai Bhattiyani hadn't expected this son of Mewar to show up that too twenty-one days after his father's death. He was not informed as per Dheerbai's instructions. She looked at Rawat Ji. He must have gone to Raoji at Bijolia. No one except them knew where Kunwar Pratap was staying. It was for the safety of his family. " What are you doing Chotima?" A disappointed voice came. She could stoop down so low? " We were about to inform you..." She spoke up in her defence. " When Dheerbai ji?" Maharani Jaivanta Bai, clad in white entered the hall as people bowed before her. " After your son's coronation?" " I did nothing Badima I swear!" A low voice came from Jagmal. " Maha

To Protect You

Kunwar Pratap was in court with Rana Udai Singh. The Mughals were conquering a huge part of the north courtesy of Bairam Khan and Mewar on their routes to the ports of Gujarat. " Dajiraj we need to secure the roads leading to Agra and also towards the west. The attack-prone areas should always be under surveillance." " Yes Ranaji. Baojiraj is right." Rawatji agreed.   In the Rani Mahal, everyone was preparing for a grand lunch. Ajabde was making a sweet dish for the princes and princesses and in a hurry, she forgot to add the Kesar and Badam on top. As she served the smaller princes including Kunwar Jagmal, Dheerbai came to inspect her eldest son's food. " What is this? Who made this? Kokoiaji?" She stormed to the kitchen with a bowl of sweet dishes.   " Kunwaranisa did." Came a scary answer, from Veer Bai. " Ajabde Baisa." Her words let out a silent gasp from the lesser queens who stood witness. Calm and composed, Ajabde walked up

Towards You

Kunwar Pratap and Ajabde were friends. He didn't feel awkward sharing his plans and thoughts with her anymore. She was more than happy to advise him on everything. She was happy he listened to her advice before taking or discarding them, be it on what to wear to Padmavati's Sagai or how to befriend the revolting Bhils. He loved the way Ajabde always used metaphors from Puranas and Ramayanas to explain the toughest things so easily. She expressed herself so well, so easily that it amazed him.   The Afghans were now led by Mehmood Shah. They have made secret territories in the forests and waited to attack. Rawatji and his spies had confirmed the news and Udai Singh had warned Mehmood Shah to withdraw his troops from Mewar in vain. Now, it was time they declared war. Mehmood Shah had limited resources in Mewar. And his spies clearly suggested that in no way could he win, especially with Kunwar Pratap leading his troops. He was having second thoughts about the war. One of his aides

Chapter Two: Catastrophe

Abhaya was suffocating as she could now taste the soot and ash in her mouth. She could see the smoke engulf her. The boxes around her turned into shadows in the blurred vision. She opened her mouth to breathe but the choking air wanted to make her cough. She ran, stumbling upon some boxes and utensils towards the window on the other side. It was shut firmly and her weak hands could do little to move it an inch. She placed the end of her saree over her face and coughed, hoping not to be heard from the outside. The sound of chaos and footsteps outside was increasing. She heard a scream. Was it her mother? Her sister? Or one of the sisters-in-law? Were they escaping? Should she try too? She tried to find something to break the window with, but instead, she froze at the sight of flames entering through the cracks of the door she had shut behind her. Abhaya said a soft prayer. This is how it ends. This was not the country her father served. This was not the country her mother read stories o

Love?

“I swear I can kill that Sakhaveer.” Balwant swung his sword at the Dangal as Ratan and Ajabde looked on. Ajabde hid a smile as Ratan looked amused. “Like you did last time?” Ratan’s chuckle made Ajabde press her hands with a soft no as Balwant stopped his sword and looked angry. “What do you know Ratan?” He roared angrily. “What do girls know anyways about fighting??” “Jija can fight better than you.” Ratan looked angry and defensive. “Ratan! Leave it.” Ajabde insisted. “No!! Jija, I saw you, you are better…” “Then let’s have a duel Jija.” Balwant insisted. “No.” Ajabde looked surprised and shaken. “It’s been such a long time since I have …” “No excuses Jija, teach him! That girls can be…” Ratan insisted as Balwant handed her a sword she took rather reluctantly. She tied the corners of her dupatta together and her braid in a bun. Kunwar Pratap was making his way out at the Dangal when he heard swords clash. He gathered the father-son duo would be at the Dangal

Love Struck

A new dawn was about to break in Mewar. Kunwar Pratap shifted in his bed, as the lamp shone in the darkness. He was now facing her sleeping figure. Her hand rested on the pillow between them, the pillow he chose to keep there in the first place but now it seemed like the symbol of the distance he wanted to bridge between their hearts. He stared at it lost in thoughts. I promised myself to make you mine, But how? What if you... He stared at the sleeping figure admitting in silence that no one, even the bravest enemy scared him like her calm composed self did. I am thinking like a typical husband. He smiled. What to do now Ajabde? I am terrible with my words unlike you. Pratap Singh! You need to learn a few things! He looked back at the ceiling in his thoughts. What if I drop hints? She knows me so well, maybe she will understand without me actually speaking for myself. The thoughts made his face light up. Yes, Yes that will be perfect. Let's try this. But... First thing first... so

Chapter Three: Pedigree

  The Imperial Police work was a tough job. The family had no idea what Superintendent Animesh Kumar Mukhopadhyay went through to provide for his family and their luxurious lives. Abhaya’s father never failed to let his family know that. Every time he drank down his sins. Every time he came home drunk. Every time he beat his wife. Abhaya would often sit awake all night, her pillow pressed against her ears as she sobbed silently, hoping that her mother’s begging sobs and father’s lewd language would stop. One day she had opened the door of her room slightly and was about to step out when her sister-in-law intervened. Her face was dark as she coldly told Abhaya to return to her room. She would be punished if her elder brothers found out about her trying to get out of her chambers at night. Abhaya at twelve knew one truth greater than others. Men were like this, women had to tiptoe around them to serve them as they demanded.  She was intimidated by the regular chores the women of the hous

Understandings

After counting days, Ajabde was happy that she was going to Bijolia. She knew how eager her mother and Ratan would be to know about her new life. She couldn't wait to hug her mother and feel like... Home. She was selecting gifts for her parents and her siblings as per Ranima's instructions. Then suddenly an idea struck her mind. Her new family welcomed her with so much love and support. Especially Ranima and Majhli Maa Sa. She wanted to give them something. Suddenly she remembered that Ranima had loved her embroidery work on dupattas back in Bijolia so she called a Dasi and ordered some plain Chunris and embroidery threads. She had a lot of work to finish in a day before leaving.   Kunwar Pratap came back into the room to see her on the floor, right in the middle of the room with red, green, yellow, and pink all sorts of dupattas scattered. " What's all this?" He asked not sure if he should be asking. " I am making gifts. For Ranima, Majhli ma, Rani Dheer Bai

Changing Thoughts

" Ajabde." Jaivanta Bai hugged her as Kunwar Pratap unknowingly smiled at the duo. He didn't realise he was not feeling jealous of Ranima's affection for her anymore. " It's so good that you are back." Sajja smiled. " Now you will help us with the Teej preparations." Ajabde smiled nodding as Kunwar Pratap said " I will go to the arena, I will be there after... I mean....at Lunch." He left in haste as Jaivanta Bai stared at Ajabde who had a little pink blush on her cheeks. Jaivanta Bai smiled as she was not sure if Pratap said that to her or his wife.   All through the day, Ajabde helped by going through the smallest details of the Teej Preparations until lunchtime. All the Ranis were impressed by how she knew everything so easily. She walked into her room post lunch and gasped at the scene. The maps, the books, and his things were all scattered where they were not meant to be. The Daasis were apparently too scared to touch his import