Skip to main content

Love Exists

Usually, people blog their feelings to the world, I just tell you all stories. Stories on Love, Relationship, Understanding, Mutual loyalty and stuff I believe in. I share stories of women and their struggles in our epics and History. I rarely speak about what I feel. Since the past few months I have been hearing from a lot of friends, stuff I think is out of this world. My imaginations are not real. They are not real. Today's love is more complicated than the respect, understanding and affection part. Lust and money play huge roles. I agree, they do! Silent love, soulmates and true sacrifices are rare. And that is what makes them special, isn't it? This story is dedicated to all those who for once have lost faith in relationships love and ahh the men! Because to me LOVE is beyond one mistake, one regret or a lifetime of ego. Love is what we are born with and what we live for. So here goes, in a world of Reality here is my doze of Love!

According to some Internet sites on “How to deal with breakups,” I found some really freaky things like you need chocolates to feel good movies, fun hangouts with your girls and oh yes the most common retail therapy. I was someone who would often make a face and ignore such “10 ways to…” stuff but then my sister suggested let’s try it just for fun huh? I was not very convinced as I smiled through her suggestions. After all,  she was one of the few people who cared a dime’s worth for what I felt and thought.

"Breakups are tough" ...so is the cliche of the word. You cry you miss people, and you part without answers. My bestie however had her own brilliant view, “Everyone needs a major breakup once! To find the real you” she had squeezed my hands suggesting. I had smiled through that too.
People who knew me were rather worried because a Romantic daydreaming soul like me would just not survive in the real world, if I stopped believing in what I believed in, Love, Soulmates, and Forever. I could see the worries and I just smiled again and sighed. 
Every person, every story is a lesson. I have believed that all life, as I have believed in God, and in his ways. He showed the way always, and he gave the answers when it was Time. As even Mahakal himself was not above Time.

Truth be said I was slowly losing hope, love, and soulmates. Their worry was not wrong. It seemed that the coloured glasses I used to see the world with were broken by some unknown forces and all I saw were just two individuals everywhere, some adjusting, some coping, some parting. 

Happily ever after is a myth. It scared the hell out of me to feel that couples like our parents were becoming extinct. I don’t blame them though. Their world was a lot lesser open to options and more based on morals and values. In this world of Facebook, Whatsapp, and show-offs, I began to believe true love was really nothing but a myth.

Giving in to suggestions I had taken up retail therapy, hoping for some mood change. The shopping mall in South Kolkata was fairly crowded on a Saturday evening just before the Durga Pujas. Holding on to my bag, headphones on with a song on loop, I looked around clueless in the departmental store as my sister confidently surfed through the kind of clothes I wanted.
“This?” She pointed suggesting clearly she liked it.
I want bright colours.” I frowned. I am too tired of whites, blacks, and ‘sophisticated’ colours. I wanted neon, funky prints, to hell with elegance!
Okay, you see that side, am searching here!” She pointed to the other corner of the store. I nodded approval and walked there. 

I saw a guy, about my age, clearly displeased with the number of dresses he was holding while his girl was looking for more. I smiled amused at his sorry state, and walked ahead. A turn and an old couple were shopping for their family abroad with the help of the salesperson.
“ My granddaughter is sixteen, she is fairly healthy, will this fit?”She sounded worried as her husband smiled. 
“ Call and ask them the size na?”
“No, it’s a surprise!” Her voice was firm as he shook his head defeated with a smile.
I smiled at them too, as a “aww” slipped under my breath. Old couples have a different level of love altogether, isn't it?

I was looking at the clothes, still a little lost, as I saw another couple at the billing. 
“You pay this one with your money, next time I will pay with mine!” The newly married girl suggested to her husband who approved. 
There you go! Reality check! Where is the “ours” lost in the yous and mes, mine and yours…. Where is the Our home, Our family, Our dreams, Our money? I wonder what they will call the children… your daughter my son? I smiled to myself making a small checklist in my head, no guy with “mine” and “Your” ever! 

I was crossing the décor section over to the other side when my sister gasped.
Didi look!” I looked where she stared pointing all smiles. There on a table was a little but the beautifully carved statue of Mahadev, the silver Ganga coming out of his bun and one hand was in a blessing posture.
Must cost a fortune.” She wondered aloud, clearly longing for it.
Some day you and me, we will have a place of our own…” I smiled hopeful.
And we will take him there…”She finished my sentence. I nodded. In my mind was a small prayer. Will my Princy and Strange girl always be imaginary? Does love like that not exist at all? Maybe not! I stared one last time at the statue being admired by potential buyers and I walked away.

In the next store, there I was kind of lost in Sanam Puri's amazing voice to "Pal pal dil ke paas" on my headphones, at "Jaise keh rahi thi tum, mujhe bandh lo bandhan mein..." while keeping my bags when a little girl about three bumped into me.
Sorry.” She murmured sounding scared.
Aww, it's okay.” I managed a smile at the innocent cute face. 
A beautiful white laced frock, with a red bow, made her look like snow white, or so I thought as she smiled back.
Come back here, Mishka!” Her brother’s voice made her run to him, he seemed about nine or ten but clearly taught to be responsible enough to look out for his sisters.
Don’t run like that or I will complain to Baba.” He held her hand tightly as she frowned. They walked to the toy section with smiles in a few seconds as I watched them go.
Ma we are here.” He called out to someone in the crowd.

Okay! Don’t touch anything, Arnav!” The lady’s reply made me turn. She was in the same ethnic section as my sister, with her husband in tow. Around the late 20s, definitely not in mid-30s, they seemed a little too young to have the boy, I wondered. Not faces you can call pretty or mark out in a crowd. Average faces and average dresses. Out of mere curiosity about random people, I just stepped by her side, looking at some clothes.
I think it’s pretty.” His voice seemed like trying to convince her.
It’s costly.” She snapped. I smiled amused to myself.
It’s 5k!” he defended. “It’s not costly, I don’t earn that less.
What is your exact Salary amount?” She smiled a little taunt in her voice. Reminded me of my parents and their taunts on Salary secrecy, so it's still a thing!
Don’t divert from the topic and buy this!” He took out her size as she frowned still that smile lingering on her lips.
No! It is costly!” She shook her head. 
He seemed to be at a loss of wits to convince her as he snapped, holding her hand a little lightly. 
So what is costly? You are not a girlfriend am wooing with costly gifts you refuse! You are my wife, the one I love and you are buying this!” 
My eyes went a little wide and I could see her go that wide too as she turned a little red and said “Hush! The kids!” just as they came running with twice the enthusiasm, since the last time I saw them.
Ma there is a…” The girl was interrupted by the boy’s “car I want!
Hold on, your Ma is shopping here.” Their father smiled as she snapped “No I am not!
Yes, you are!”
No am not! The clothes I will choose!
My wife, my choice!” He smiled at her clearly impressed face. Was it like he managed to do that every time? Seemed so!
Hush!” Her shy words were followed by the children’s amused giggles as I noticed both smiles resembled their father’s.
You two are fighting again! I will complain to Daddu!” The boy giggled as his mother snapped “Arnav!
Okay, we are buying this with or without the trail, right Mishku?” Her father picked her up and the salwar as well as he walked towards the billing counter ignoring her small “But… listen… aree!” as Arnav dragged his mother behind his father, probably scared of getting lost.


As they left the store, stealing occasional glances at each other, they had no idea what they had done to a total stranger! No, I might not see them again, or know where they live, or what they do, but I saw what I wanted to from my Lord. I had prayed to see and believe in love again. I had witnessed my faith walk back in me and light up my face with a genuinely happy smile after days! I have seen a family, like the one I write about! No, they are not my imagination! Princy and his strange girl do exist in some part of this world. 

Sometimes little things make huge impacts, and small incidents leave a memory. Today had been such an experience. Maybe they were just another average couple to the crowd. But to the dreamer romantic storyteller in me, they were much more than that. Today, in a crowded shopping mall in my own city, I have witnessed my very own mini version of my Princy and his Strange Girl, Amar and Arohi! And they have made me believe once again, that someday somewhere, I can have my very own mini version of them too!



PS. Everyone who has no clue about Princy, Strange Girl Amar or Arohi, refer to "The Royal Accident" under Fanfics! Or simply know they are the most craziest, perfect love story that can be!! At least to me!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

His Wife

" Where is the Kesar, Rama? And the Kalash?" Ajabde looked visibly displeased at the daasi who ran. " They are at the fort gates and nothing is ready yet!" She exclaimed. She was clad in a red Jora and the jewellery she had inherited as the first Kunwarani of the crown prince. Little Amar ran down the hallway towards his mother. " Maa sa Maa sa... who is coming with Daajiraj?" His innocent question made her heart sink. " Bhanwar Ji." Sajja Bai called out to him. " Come here I will tell you." Amar rushed to his Majhli Dadisa. " Ajabde." She turned at Jaivanta Bai's call. "They are here." " M... My Aarti thali..." Ajabde looked lost like never before. Jaivanta Bai held her stone-cold hands, making her stop. She patted her head and gave her a hug. The hug gave her the comfort she was looking for as her racing heart calmed down. Jaivanta Bai left her alone with her thaal. " Maa sa!" Amar exclaimed

Chapter One: Masquerades

“Reginald Dyer is yet to apologise for the incident which was criticised worldwide. Punjab is on high alert.” The transistor in the living room broke with the morning news. “On other news the League of Nations…” Meera wiped the already clean surface of the showcase for the second time while listening to it. One of the servants came around and switched the channel to a station where a Raga played. Meera tip-toed up to the transistor and looked around before lowering the volume. She was standing outside the door of the Magistrate’s home office, clad in a saree borrowed from Nimai’s mother, who worked at her Pishima’s house. “I need it for my maid back where I work.” Meera lied with a straight face. Nimai’s mother did not care; she was getting Didimoni’s beautiful blue Jamdani instead of her tattered clothes; she would not think twice about this unharming exchange. Meera tried to listen. The gardener sang outside, tending to the flowerbeds as his scissors snipped the bushes back to shape

To Protect You

Kunwar Pratap was in court with Rana Udai Singh. The Mughals were conquering a huge part of the north courtesy of Bairam Khan and Mewar on their routes to the ports of Gujarat. " Dajiraj we need to secure the roads leading to Agra and also towards the west. The attack-prone areas should always be under surveillance." " Yes Ranaji. Baojiraj is right." Rawatji agreed.   In the Rani Mahal, everyone was preparing for a grand lunch. Ajabde was making a sweet dish for the princes and princesses and in a hurry, she forgot to add the Kesar and Badam on top. As she served the smaller princes including Kunwar Jagmal, Dheerbai came to inspect her eldest son's food. " What is this? Who made this? Kokoiaji?" She stormed to the kitchen with a bowl of sweet dishes.   " Kunwaranisa did." Came a scary answer, from Veer Bai. " Ajabde Baisa." Her words let out a silent gasp from the lesser queens who stood witness. Calm and composed, Ajabde walked up

Protibimbo: Characters

Before Indian Independence Movement gained its prominence and momentum in the year 1930 across Bengal with the weaponry loot by Surya Sen, attacks across the offices of British Raj in Bengal by Bengal Volunteers, Jugantar Dol and other prominent anarchists, and Binoy-Badal-Dinesh stormed into Writers' Building, the 1920s were a built up to the movement when several large and small scale anarchist groups worked underground to strike the system of British Governance. It was a time when Indians realised that conferences did not bring independence to colonies, they had to pick up arms against the British Imperialists. This story is fictional. But in its core, every character represents several hundred unnamed heroes and sheroes of our freedom struggle whose names do not appear in the pages of history. " Protibimbo " meaning reflection is a story that reflects on relationships, freedom, sacrifice and battles fought within the society of that time. Characters: Abhaya: 15-year-o

Chapter Two: Catastrophe

Abhaya was suffocating as she could now taste the soot and ash in her mouth. She could see the smoke engulf her. The boxes around her turned into shadows in the blurred vision. She opened her mouth to breathe but the choking air wanted to make her cough. She ran, stumbling upon some boxes and utensils towards the window on the other side. It was shut firmly and her weak hands could do little to move it an inch. She placed the end of her saree over her face and coughed, hoping not to be heard from the outside. The sound of chaos and footsteps outside was increasing. She heard a scream. Was it her mother? Her sister? Or one of the sisters-in-law? Were they escaping? Should she try too? She tried to find something to break the window with, but instead, she froze at the sight of flames entering through the cracks of the door she had shut behind her. Abhaya said a soft prayer. This is how it ends. This was not the country her father served. This was not the country her mother read stories o

My Everything

Kunwar Pratap stormed into the Mahal at Gogunda. Happy faces of the chieftains and soldiers welcomed him as Rao Ramrakh and Rawatji stopped the ongoing Raj tilak. A visibly scared Kunwar Jagmal looked clueless at a visibly angry Kunwar Pratap. Rani Dheerbai Bhattiyani hadn't expected this son of Mewar to show up that too twenty-one days after his father's death. He was not informed as per Dheerbai's instructions. She looked at Rawat Ji. He must have gone to Raoji at Bijolia. No one except them knew where Kunwar Pratap was staying. It was for the safety of his family. " What are you doing Chotima?" A disappointed voice came. She could stoop down so low? " We were about to inform you..." She spoke up in her defence. " When Dheerbai ji?" Maharani Jaivanta Bai, clad in white entered the hall as people bowed before her. " After your son's coronation?" " I did nothing Badima I swear!" A low voice came from Jagmal. " Maha

Towards You

Kunwar Pratap and Ajabde were friends. He didn't feel awkward sharing his plans and thoughts with her anymore. She was more than happy to advise him on everything. She was happy he listened to her advice before taking or discarding them, be it on what to wear to Padmavati's Sagai or how to befriend the revolting Bhils. He loved the way Ajabde always used metaphors from Puranas and Ramayanas to explain the toughest things so easily. She expressed herself so well, so easily that it amazed him.   The Afghans were now led by Mehmood Shah. They have made secret territories in the forests and waited to attack. Rawatji and his spies had confirmed the news and Udai Singh had warned Mehmood Shah to withdraw his troops from Mewar in vain. Now, it was time they declared war. Mehmood Shah had limited resources in Mewar. And his spies clearly suggested that in no way could he win, especially with Kunwar Pratap leading his troops. He was having second thoughts about the war. One of his aides

Love?

“I swear I can kill that Sakhaveer.” Balwant swung his sword at the Dangal as Ratan and Ajabde looked on. Ajabde hid a smile as Ratan looked amused. “Like you did last time?” Ratan’s chuckle made Ajabde press her hands with a soft no as Balwant stopped his sword and looked angry. “What do you know Ratan?” He roared angrily. “What do girls know anyways about fighting??” “Jija can fight better than you.” Ratan looked angry and defensive. “Ratan! Leave it.” Ajabde insisted. “No!! Jija, I saw you, you are better…” “Then let’s have a duel Jija.” Balwant insisted. “No.” Ajabde looked surprised and shaken. “It’s been such a long time since I have …” “No excuses Jija, teach him! That girls can be…” Ratan insisted as Balwant handed her a sword she took rather reluctantly. She tied the corners of her dupatta together and her braid in a bun. Kunwar Pratap was making his way out at the Dangal when he heard swords clash. He gathered the father-son duo would be at the Dangal

Love Struck

A new dawn was about to break in Mewar. Kunwar Pratap shifted in his bed, as the lamp shone in the darkness. He was now facing her sleeping figure. Her hand rested on the pillow between them, the pillow he chose to keep there in the first place but now it seemed like the symbol of the distance he wanted to bridge between their hearts. He stared at it lost in thoughts. I promised myself to make you mine, But how? What if you... He stared at the sleeping figure admitting in silence that no one, even the bravest enemy scared him like her calm composed self did. I am thinking like a typical husband. He smiled. What to do now Ajabde? I am terrible with my words unlike you. Pratap Singh! You need to learn a few things! He looked back at the ceiling in his thoughts. What if I drop hints? She knows me so well, maybe she will understand without me actually speaking for myself. The thoughts made his face light up. Yes, Yes that will be perfect. Let's try this. But... First thing first... so

Oaths

Ajabde had never realized her family was so close-knit in a unit until today. She thanked god as she watched her parents and siblings in her room with a faint smile. “ Ranaji is calling everyone to the Durbar.”  Broke the family moment as faces turned grim again. She remembered his words as she veiled her face and held Ratan’s hand firmly. Rana Udai Singh was at the Durbar with a letter in hand. “Kunwar Pratap. Step forward and read this.” He looked serious. “Rawatji send this.” Kunwar Pratap did what he was told and read aloud. “ Ranaji, while patrolling the Western borders, I have come across something. There were two incidents of a sudden attack on our Sena Camps and a few soldiers were killed. We fear they are Marwar soldiers who also looted a few villages. I think they are trying to take parts of our territory this way. However, we can not charge Rao Maldeo Rathore because there is no evidence.”  Kunwar Pratap frowned at the letter. “ We need to answer them D