Skip to main content

Be My Wife!

Shakti was driving a little absent-minded as Heer decided to break the silence.
“Ranima will be fine. Jija is there…” She managed a smile.
“Are you telling me or reassuring yourself?” He smiled back, eyeing her. “Stop worrying.”
“Nahi main…” Her face looked pale at how he read her. He turned on the stereo as she changed the topic. “Who else will be there?”
“Lots of exes.” He smirked. “I am popular.” He shrugged as her smile faded a little nervously.
“And friends, from college. Emma.” He frowned.
“You keep repeating Emma, she bothers you?” Heer frowned. “Nahi, she can bother you.” He smiled. “Warning.”
“I don’t drink, ``she said, a little scared.
“I know, I will see that they don’t make you. Don’t worry.” He reassured her as he parked the car.

The music was loud, drinks pouring and girls drooling over guys on the dance floor, drunk and in six-inch skirts. Heer looked around a little awkwardly. She was not even dressed like the crowd. Shakti could still read her worries as he took her hand in his and held it firmly as he stepped in to be greeted by some friends.

“Hi Heer, I am his ex-girlfriend.” The girl clearly looked a little disappointed at Shakti who smirked. “You look lovely, especially the… gown!” She could read the taunt. Shakti smiled. “She is a designer Kiya, and certainly knows better style than your prom dress.”
“That.” She pointed. “Was a bet!” before walking away.
“Your Highness.” Shakti smiled at the guy who hugged him. “Heer, meet Ven! He’s the best bud in college, I told you…” “Yes hi.” Heer smiled.
“Hello beautiful lady, I also know you, via him.” Ven bowed as she smiled.
“Don't hit on her!” Shakti’s words made him frown.
“No one thought he would get married so soon!” Ven’swords made Heer’s smile disappear as Shakti tightened his grip on her hand. “Right, Emma?” The girl in a black dress and blonde hair walked up with a cocktail in hand, and Heer saw Shakti’s smile disappear.
“Hi, Shakti.” She smiled, eyeing Heer. She looked more beautiful than Heer thought.
“Emma, this is My Wife. Heer.” Shakti smiled at her as she smiled back. “Hi, Emma.”
“Congratulations.”
“Congratulations on your engagement too.” Heer smiled, making Shakti smile as well. Emma stared at the entwined hands before addressing Ven “Bring on the drinks, double celebrations.”

“I don’t…” Heer spoke softly as Emma smiled amused “You don’t drink?”
“I won’t too, today.” Shakti added to Ven, “I need to drive home.” Heer knew he was making an excuse and smiled.
“A dance then Shakti?” Emma smiled at him. “For old time's sake?” Heer looked awkward at the way she stared at Shakti.
“I still owe my wife her first dance. Chale?” Heer nodded a taken-aback yes as he took her hand to the dance floor.
He held her waist as her hand travelled to his collar and eyes met. She could feel the jealous gaze on her as his eyes never left hers. Hoto pe hai naam thehra tera, Neendo pe rehta hai pehra tera…Jab se bani re Bani tu meri… Premika haha! Everyone was amazed at how easily they matched steps as Shakti’s smile met Heer’s nod before he twirled her. Suraj bhi dhalta hai tere liye, Chanda mein dikhta hai Chehra tera…Jab se bani re Bani tu meri… Premika haha! They smiled in perfect lip sync. Oh, Main Teri Premika! Her lip sync made him smile as he held her waist again. Heer sat down as he went to find some non-alcoholic drink.
“Why did Shakti marry so soon?” She overheard a group of girls.
“He never liked these types of boring girls.” Another agreed.
“In fact, he didn't even want to get married.” Ven agreed. “But…”

Heer looked a little pale as she acted like she didn’t hear. Shakti came back smiling with the drinks and frowned at her pale face as he sat down. She looked away. “Are you ill?”
“No, I am fine.” He could see she was upset. He had also heard the girls gossip and ignored it. He needn’t explain to anyone. But Heer… was hurt?
“Let's go.” He got up. “Where?” She asked wide-eyed.
“Chalo…” He bid his friends goodbye and walked out as she followed. She sat in the car in relative silence as he decided to stop at her favourite Paratha Gali. Seeing the place she smiled faintly as he got out.
“You remember…”
“We ate so much here.” He added, smiling. “Chalo.” Eating those brought a smile to her face as he smiled back at her. “The party bored you?” He asked as she lied “No.”
“This is more fun.” His words made her stare.
“Shakti.” She looked serious, “Can I talk to you about something?” “Let's go home first?” He spoke mouthful.

Heer gulped down a lump in her throat as she decided to do what she needed to.
Shakti parked his car on the porch as Kaka came out to see who was there and they asked in unison “How is Ranima?”
“Ranisa is fine, she is resting.”
“Oh…” Shakti smiled relieved as he walked up the porch and turned as she stood near the car.
“Can we… walk in the backside garden and talk…” She looked serious as he nodded worriedly.
Taking off her high heels she sat on the grass, dew drops on it, but she didn’t care. He smiled as he sat down beside her waiting for her to talk.
“Shakti. you did a lot for me… for the family, I will always be grateful to you for it”
“Heeriye… you know it was OUR decision… we took it together for the families.”  What is she trying to say?
“But, I know your dreams. Trekking, travelling, partying, living life to the fullest… marriage was never on that list.” He stared at her as she continued looking away. “The kind of girls you like…their lifestyle… I… I don't fit in… You must feel trapped in this friendship.” Shakti’s jaws tightened as he asked a little irked “What are you trying to say?”
“It's not too late… I mean you can still… umm undo… I will leave for Udaipur… we will say it's not working… I will explain to the families… Jija is there for Ranima now…we will file for mutual separation and you will be free…” She stopped at his cold stare.
"Will you... be free?" He asked rather plainly making her smile faintly. "It is about you, not me."
“Really! So you are planning my life now?” He taunted.
“You will be happier that way.” She murmured broken.
“And who are you to decide that?” He shook his head, irked.
“I just said what I thought was right… Tonight made me feel strongly that you deserve ... different?” “And you got affected by what strangers said?” His words stopped her.
“That's not…”
“Don't lie, Heer, you are saying this suddenly for what? You know everything about right and wrong?”
“All I know is that you didn't want to be married and you did this for me…” Her eyes were teary more because he was angry.
He closed his eyes and looked away to regain composure and calm himself down.
“Do you even know when I decided this, what Aapa and Jija asked me first?”
“No.” She said softly.
“They asked if I like you.” Her heart skipped a beat. “And I didn't waste a single moment to say no not like that.”
“I know that.” She spoke up.
“No, you don’t!” He scolded. “I visited Jija in the office… she asked me again… after that Tota…”
“Acha.” She stopped him. He looked up at her.
“I still said no.” His words sank her heart as she looked away. “But…” He smiled faintly.

“But?” she looked up.
“I lied.” He took her hands in his as she looked wide-eyed. “I was in love with you, I am in love with you.”
“Shakti.” She exclaimed, surprised. What was he saying?
“I had fallen in love every time you cared, you took care of Ranima and you wanted everyone’s happiness first. I had fallen in love every time you smiled in your tears, I so badly wanted to make you smile. I wanted to be more responsible for you. Every time you talked of Tota I was scared… what if you loved him.” He looked up as she looked pale. “ And you assumed I never wanted this?”
“I…” Heer was at a loss for words.
“I know I said things before, I was immature and childish even. You brought stability to my life. I want to work hard every day. Think about the future. Whose future is it Heer? It's not mine, it is ours.” He stopped as she looked first to her left and then to her right.
Will you say something or deny that everything I saw in your eyes today was lies? I don’t know you?” He taunted.
“No….” She protested, making him smile. “You know me.”
“Then…” He pulled her close and made her stare at him as hearts raced.
“ Shakti I... I….” He smiled.
“I love you.” Her words met a small peck from him, on her lips as she froze closing her eyes. He drew away in a moment as noses touched. “I love you too.” This time she sealed her lips as she smiled in pleasure. “Be my wife.” He whispered in her ears as she hugged him.
“I am yours.” She blushed as he kissed her forehead. Ajabde had let Brownie lose on the roof as he ran.
“Don't bark okay?” She warned.
“Hey, Buddy.” He appeared behind her, making her frown.
“Kasturi is with Ranima.” He shrugged. “You should get some sleep then.” She turned her back to him.
“Did you think about staying?” He asked, amused.
“Look Princy! Don't act smart..” She narrowed her eyes at him. “I am.” He smirked, annoying her.
She walked to the side and smiled looking down.
“OMG, see this.” She whispered. “What is it?” he frowned.
He peeped down to see Shakti and Heer hand in hand, smiling faces walking towards the palace from the garden path.
“You think they…”
“Haan.” Ajabde jumped excitedly.
“How are you so sure?” He frowned.

“Because I know everything.” She smirked as he laughed. “Maata Ajabde ki Jai.” His words made her hit him. “Are you hitting me?” She struck out her tongue. “Go now.” “You leave.” They both stood there as their eyes smiled.
He pulled her close in a hug as she frowned “Brownie…”
“I am happy today… it was a good day.” He stared at her in the hug. “And for them.” She added.
“That too.” He kissed her forehead.

Heer woke as the light of the sun fell through the open window. She blinked her eyes and noticed his hand across her waist. Heer froze watching Shakti sleep content. Yesterday was not a dream. His love, her acceptance was not a dream. Heer blushed, smiling before carefully removing his hand and getting out of bed. She picked up the scattered clothes and walked to the adjacent room.
Pratap walked out of his room with a frown on his files as he heard voices.
“Is the breakfast ready? Hurry up Kaka everyone will leave early.” He heard her voice of authority in the kitchen.
“Ranima needs her medicines on time, serve her breakfast first.”
Pratap was about to walk down the corridor towards the voice when the sound of Payal made him stop. He turned to see Heer, in a saree, the pallu over her head, aarti thali in hand as she walked up to him.

“Dadabhai good morning.” She smiled. “Prasad. I went to the temple…” She blushed.
“Anything special?” He raised his eyebrows as she nodded a soft no. Pratap smiled and put a pat on her head before taking the Prasad.
“Ranima if you don't finish your food I am leaving for Udaipur.” Both of them stared in the direction of the voice as Pratap made his way towards the room.
“Good morning Ranima.” He peeped in but she was not there anymore.
“Pratap Beta, save me, make her understand a lot of work is left to be done…”
“Ranima! Ranima!” He held her hand and sat down. “Sorry. You know how stubborn your daughter is when it comes to this, she won't like any interference.” He shook his head. “I am getting late.” He got up to leave as the door opened and Ajabde in her casual pyjamas and long kurti appeared with a smiling Aarchi on her lap.
“Ranima, look who came to see Dadisa… Princess.” She smiled as the baby smiled back. “She will be here all day, right Aarchi?”
“Tata Aarchi.” Pratap gently shook her hand in a gesture and smiled at Ajabde before walking out.
“Listen…” Her voice stopped him.
“The breakfast is ready, don't leave without…” She stopped.

“Come to me Aarchi.” Ranima asked as she said a small “Wait.” And handed Aarchi to Ranima.
She walked out of the corridor after Pratap and added looking away, “Mr Das is coming to see you. Do what needs to be done to make sure my business runs efficiently and hum…” He smiled happily and hugged her as she pushed him away “What are you doing!”
“Where are Sau and Chaks?” He asked, letting go.
“They are thinking of shifting base since … the schools are better here.”
“Did you talk to Jalal? Bairam Uncle…”
" Everything is fine.” She smiled. Pratap turned to see Heer and Shakti at the dining table Heer served the food and Shakti looked around to grab her hand as she freed it.
“Everything is fine.” He smiled as Ajabde nodded. She went back to Aarchi and Ranima while Pratap walked to the table.
“Let's go, Shakti.” He spoke to Shakti. “So soon?” He frowned.
“Soon? You will be late.” Heer frowned back as Pratap smiled.
“You need to be in charge for a few days when I am busy with paperwork,” Pratap spoke while taking a spoonful of Poha
" What paperwork?” Shakti frowned.

“To shift the Punwars to Delhi.” Pratap smiled at Heer who looked wide-eyed and exclaimed “Jija agreed?”
“She can't say no to Ranima.” Pratap smiled back as Heer hugged him “Thank You Dadabhai.”
“Really?” Shakti smirked. “He’s doing it for himself, Heer.” He shrugged as Pratap gave a cold stare.
Rukaiya walked in with some Firni she made for everyone and kept it down on the table.
“Where is Ajabdeh?”
“Ah, you came to romance her so early in the morning?” Pratap narrowed his eyes as she made a face.
“Jija is with Aarchi in Ranima's room…”
“I will go meet them…” Rukaiya left as Pratap walked to his car calling Shakti one last time.
As the dining hall was empty Shakti hugged Heer frowning “I don't want to go to work today.”
“When do you ever want to work?” She giggled.
“Not today.” He kissed her forehead as she frowned “Go.”

In the evening Aarchi rested on her mother’s arm happily as Ajabde and Rukaiya told Sau excitedly about their experiences with her.
“I changed her diapers for the first time.” Rukaiya made a face.
“She is so tiny, we feel scared while bathing her.” Heer giggled.

“But she is an angel, didn't even cry once.” Ajabde smiled proudly.
“See Aarchi, how lucky you are.”Sau kissed her baby. “You have four mothers…”
“Where are Patta and Jiwa?” Ajabde frowned at Heer.
“Jiwa has some family emergency so I told Patta to drop her home.”
 Ajabde spoke unmindfully. “I don't like that girl.” Her words made Rukaiya giggle.
“What happened?” She frowned.
“Now I know why you and Jalal are friends… he was saying the same.”
“See…” Ajabde frowned.
“We are tired… see you at dinner…” Sau shook her head.
“Yes, Ranima and Maa should have early dinner too.” Ajabde got up to leave as well.
“I should leave now, Jalal will be home. Khuda Hafiz.”
“Since everyone is leaving I should also do some work.” Heer smiled as she went back to her room.
Shakti and Pratap walked into a frown at the empty hall and then at each other. Heer came out smiling “You arrived? Let me send tea. You want any food?”

“No, we had a meeting so had food.” Pratap smiled. “tea, please.” He looked around, frowning. Where is she…
Pratap had changed into his pyjamas and vest when Brownie came running making him smile.
“Hey, buddy.” Ajabde walked in asking “Your work is done?”
“Check it, Madam, if I made any mistakes.” He handed her the files as she shot him a glance.
“This looks fine, what about new recruits?”
“Haan. Now can we talk about what is important?” He pleaded.
“You look tired.” She ran her hand through his hair as he tilted to her touch grabbing her waist.
“Is Ranima okay?”
“She will be absolutely fine tomorrow! Then I will look for a place for my Delhi office.”
“Can I suggest something?” He asked, thinking. “Yes.” She smiled.
“The left wing of our building is empty we can renovate it and add PUNWAR's beside SISODIYA's…” He raised his brows.
“Can I see the office space once and decide?”
“Of Course Ma’am …” He made her smile.

“Can I say something…” She smiled a smile that made his heart skip a beat. He pulled her close. She pushed him away saying “ You look nice…” He looked wide-eyed as she giggled blushing and made a run for it through the corridor Pratap smiled “Wait.” And followed.
Heer and Shakti were on the rooftop when she spoke up “Should we... talk to them?”
“About what?” He frowned.
“Marriage” She smiled. “I can talk to Dadabhai…”
“That would be better.” He added, “Let's get them married before they fight again.” He made Heer laugh as he watched her with a smile. He pulled her close making her stop as she blushed and was about to seal her lips with his when they heard footsteps and moved away just in time for Ajabdeh to appear on the roof. Her smile faded seeing the duo as she looked widened and Pratap appeared behind her as his smile faded and Heer and Shakti looked at each other and back at them awkwardly.
A silence followed as all of them looked awkward and Pratap’s phone rang to break it.
“Signal…” He smiled faintly. “The phone signal is so weak… Hello!” He moved to the farthest corner as Ajabde stood staring at the duo with a red face.
“I was looking… for Brownie!” Ajabde managed to say.
“Woof!” Brownie’s bark behind her startled her as Shakti looked amused.

“I was looking at the stars…” Heer smiled. By then Pratap had finished his call and Ajabde and Heer stared at Shakti for his explanation. Shakti looked a little blank as he started “I… Umm… I..” He fumbled as Heer frowned.
“Really?” Ajabde looked at him amused, raising her eyebrows. Shakti was about to open his mouth as Ajabde hid a laugh and Brownie’s woof made them stare.
Jalal was at the threshold with a trolley and a pillow in his hand looking distraught.
“Bhaijaan.” Heer exclaimed, “What happened?”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter One: Masquerades

“Reginald Dyer is yet to apologise for the incident which was criticised worldwide. Punjab is on high alert.” The transistor in the living room broke with the morning news. “On other news the League of Nations…” Meera wiped the already clean surface of the showcase for the second time while listening to it. One of the servants came around and switched the channel to a station where a Raga played. Meera tip-toed up to the transistor and looked around before lowering the volume. She was standing outside the door of the Magistrate’s home office, clad in a saree borrowed from Nimai’s mother, who worked at her Pishima’s house. “I need it for my maid back where I work.” Meera lied with a straight face. Nimai’s mother did not care; she was getting Didimoni’s beautiful blue Jamdani instead of her tattered clothes; she would not think twice about this unharming exchange. Meera tried to listen. The gardener sang outside, tending to the flowerbeds as his scissors snipped the bushes back to shape

His Wife

" Where is the Kesar, Rama? And the Kalash?" Ajabde looked visibly displeased at the daasi who ran. " They are at the fort gates and nothing is ready yet!" She exclaimed. She was clad in a red Jora and the jewellery she had inherited as the first Kunwarani of the crown prince. Little Amar ran down the hallway towards his mother. " Maa sa Maa sa... who is coming with Daajiraj?" His innocent question made her heart sink. " Bhanwar Ji." Sajja Bai called out to him. " Come here I will tell you." Amar rushed to his Majhli Dadisa. " Ajabde." She turned at Jaivanta Bai's call. "They are here." " M... My Aarti thali..." Ajabde looked lost like never before. Jaivanta Bai held her stone-cold hands, making her stop. She patted her head and gave her a hug. The hug gave her the comfort she was looking for as her racing heart calmed down. Jaivanta Bai left her alone with her thaal. " Maa sa!" Amar exclaimed

Protibimbo: Characters

Before Indian Independence Movement gained its prominence and momentum in the year 1930 across Bengal with the weaponry loot by Surya Sen, attacks across the offices of British Raj in Bengal by Bengal Volunteers, Jugantar Dol and other prominent anarchists, and Binoy-Badal-Dinesh stormed into Writers' Building, the 1920s were a built up to the movement when several large and small scale anarchist groups worked underground to strike the system of British Governance. It was a time when Indians realised that conferences did not bring independence to colonies, they had to pick up arms against the British Imperialists. This story is fictional. But in its core, every character represents several hundred unnamed heroes and sheroes of our freedom struggle whose names do not appear in the pages of history. " Protibimbo " meaning reflection is a story that reflects on relationships, freedom, sacrifice and battles fought within the society of that time. Characters: Abhaya: 15-year-o

Destiny

The war was almost won.  A few of Marwar’s soldiers were left on the field along with Rao Maldeo Singh Rathore, their king and leader.  He was thinking of retreating at the end of this day. As his sword clashed with one of the opponent generals as he eyed the opponent King now open and prone to attack. A little hope flickered in his mind as his eyes instructed his closest aide.  The opponent was quite in a winning situation thanks to their new Senapati. He was just 16 yet his bravery and valour reflected his blood and upbringing. He mesmerised the opponents and even Rao Maldeo with his clever war strategies and sword skills. As Maldeo’s aide swung his sword at a taken aback Udai Singh, someone’s sword defended it as his body acted like a shield for the king. He killed the man in one go. “ Ranaji are you okay?” “ Haan Raoji.” He nodded gratefully.  By half the day, the Marwar army had retreated as the air filled with “ Jai Mewar! Jai Eklingji!” From the triumphant soldiers. Rana Udai Si

Chapter Two: Catastrophe

Abhaya was suffocating as she could now taste the soot and ash in her mouth. She could see the smoke engulf her. The boxes around her turned into shadows in the blurred vision. She opened her mouth to breathe but the choking air wanted to make her cough. She ran, stumbling upon some boxes and utensils towards the window on the other side. It was shut firmly and her weak hands could do little to move it an inch. She placed the end of her saree over her face and coughed, hoping not to be heard from the outside. The sound of chaos and footsteps outside was increasing. She heard a scream. Was it her mother? Her sister? Or one of the sisters-in-law? Were they escaping? Should she try too? She tried to find something to break the window with, but instead, she froze at the sight of flames entering through the cracks of the door she had shut behind her. Abhaya said a soft prayer. This is how it ends. This was not the country her father served. This was not the country her mother read stories o

My Everything

Kunwar Pratap stormed into the Mahal at Gogunda. Happy faces of the chieftains and soldiers welcomed him as Rao Ramrakh and Rawatji stopped the ongoing Raj tilak. A visibly scared Kunwar Jagmal looked clueless at a visibly angry Kunwar Pratap. Rani Dheerbai Bhattiyani hadn't expected this son of Mewar to show up that too twenty-one days after his father's death. He was not informed as per Dheerbai's instructions. She looked at Rawat Ji. He must have gone to Raoji at Bijolia. No one except them knew where Kunwar Pratap was staying. It was for the safety of his family. " What are you doing Chotima?" A disappointed voice came. She could stoop down so low? " We were about to inform you..." She spoke up in her defence. " When Dheerbai ji?" Maharani Jaivanta Bai, clad in white entered the hall as people bowed before her. " After your son's coronation?" " I did nothing Badima I swear!" A low voice came from Jagmal. " Maha

Struggle of Thoughts

Kunwar Pratap and Ajabde had both by the first week known each other's schedules well and they made sure that their timings didn't clash, be it in the puja Ghar, dressing room or elsewhere. They tried to stay out of each other's way as much as possible, giving each other the space they needed. Ajabde had learned that Kunwar Pratap preferred cold sharbat and desserts over steaming hot food, he liked to wake up with the first bird's call at dawn, he didn't like any disturbances at work or at the Dangal Sthal, and he loved his mother the most. Kunwar Pratap had learned that she was intelligent enough to decipher unsaid words between the lines of any novel, epic or book she read. She was very much into spending most of her time reading or sewing and when outside he always spotted her in the garden tending to flowers with his sisters. What he saw was how similar her lifestyle was to his mother's in a very weird way. She liked things simple, preferred to make her own

Love?

“I swear I can kill that Sakhaveer.” Balwant swung his sword at the Dangal as Ratan and Ajabde looked on. Ajabde hid a smile as Ratan looked amused. “Like you did last time?” Ratan’s chuckle made Ajabde press her hands with a soft no as Balwant stopped his sword and looked angry. “What do you know Ratan?” He roared angrily. “What do girls know anyways about fighting??” “Jija can fight better than you.” Ratan looked angry and defensive. “Ratan! Leave it.” Ajabde insisted. “No!! Jija, I saw you, you are better…” “Then let’s have a duel Jija.” Balwant insisted. “No.” Ajabde looked surprised and shaken. “It’s been such a long time since I have …” “No excuses Jija, teach him! That girls can be…” Ratan insisted as Balwant handed her a sword she took rather reluctantly. She tied the corners of her dupatta together and her braid in a bun. Kunwar Pratap was making his way out at the Dangal when he heard swords clash. He gathered the father-son duo would be at the Dangal

Towards You

Kunwar Pratap and Ajabde were friends. He didn't feel awkward sharing his plans and thoughts with her anymore. She was more than happy to advise him on everything. She was happy he listened to her advice before taking or discarding them, be it on what to wear to Padmavati's Sagai or how to befriend the revolting Bhils. He loved the way Ajabde always used metaphors from Puranas and Ramayanas to explain the toughest things so easily. She expressed herself so well, so easily that it amazed him.   The Afghans were now led by Mehmood Shah. They have made secret territories in the forests and waited to attack. Rawatji and his spies had confirmed the news and Udai Singh had warned Mehmood Shah to withdraw his troops from Mewar in vain. Now, it was time they declared war. Mehmood Shah had limited resources in Mewar. And his spies clearly suggested that in no way could he win, especially with Kunwar Pratap leading his troops. He was having second thoughts about the war. One of his aides

She Left...

The war was over and so were the hopes of regaining Chittor. The Battle at Haldighati had robbed the Rana of all his wealth, and brave men, and bruised him for life. Trying to match up to Akbar or rather Raja Man Singh's army with one-third its strength had cost his bravery dearly. He had lost his friend and companion. He had brushed past death. The only good thing that this war ensured was that Akbar accepted that he cannot have Mewar. His army retreated and left the country in peace after almost two decades and seventeen wars. This war gave something else too. Kunwar Shakti came to help his brother in his time of need. He lived up to his brother's expectations of being loyal to his family. A heavy-hearted Rana Pratap Singh was overseeing the construction work on his lost friend's memorial right where he died, trying to save his master. The Bronze statue of the life-like Chetak stood tall but was no match for the void Chetak has left behind. He was lost in his thoughts as