Skip to main content

Sacrifice

The emergency bells rang through the silent night sky, as Priyambada sat up alert, her face pale. The last time the bells sounded like that, was during the war with Suryapali. The sound that she had hoped to have forgotten brought back haunting memories of the past. Her hand travelled instinctively to her belly as the bells stopped at three. Four meant war calls. But, three? Three meant a suspicious or sudden attack on someone causing death. Priyambada stood up instinctively removing her cover as the maids rushed to her side.
“Urvi!! Urvi?” She called on her trusted housekeeper urgently “Where is the Adhiraja?”
Before Urvi could present herself before her mistress and Vrinda could go out to look into the matter it was Sehri, who came and bowed. Teary-eyed, she almost whispered “Ta… Tarabai!” Priyambada’s throat felt dry as the girl suddenly burst into tears and Vrinda instinctively held her. 
“Get Urvi to call Devdoot, and tell him to inform Adhiraja!” She was about to walk out of her chambers when Vrinda reminded her “But Your Highness, you are sick.”
“Please. We have no time!” Sehri spoke as Priyambada followed her down the corridor.

Tarabai was barely awake, and her breathing was rapid.
“What happened to you?” One of the concubines splashed water on her face, hoping to keep her awake as she struggled to open her eyelids.
“Where is the medicine man? Can’t he be quicker?” Someone said teary-eyed.
“Tarabai? Say something! Tarabai?” Everyone tried to make her respond in vain. When Priyambada reached the threshold followed by Vrinda and Urvi the room fell silent. 
“Everyone out!” It was Urvi who spoke to the reluctant ladies of the Kothi.
“Sehri, stay.” Maharani Priyambada commanded. “Pull her up, try to make her vomit whatever she…” Priyambada stopped as her eyes fell on an empty cloth lying on the floor beside the bed. “Guards! Pick that up and get it inspected.” Priyambada held Tarabai’s stone-cold hands and rubbed them with all her strength.
“Tarabai? Tarabai, can you hear me?” Her voice echoed through the palace. “What did you do?” Sehri looked up, stunned, at the Maharani in tears. She was only a child, but the other ladies’ reactions suggested they hadn’t ever seen a royal so moved by the impending death of a concubine. Sehri splashed water on Tarabai’s face, lifting her into a half-seated position. She responded by gasping for breath. 
“Tarabai! It's me, Tarabai!” For a moment, Priyambada felt as if Tarabai was looking at her, “What happened?” Tarabai jolted a little and vomited some blood. Sehri trembled to see the dark red blood filling her hands and skirt. The others rushed in to help her. Tarabai seemed numb again. Urvi in an urgency ran to get the medicine man to come quicker. 
“She is slipping away. Why is she not responding?” Sehri shrieked in horror.
“ Tarabai. Please. He will be here soon. The Adhiraja will be here.” Priyambada was pleading, still rubbing. “Stay with me. Tell me who did this.”
Priyambada suddenly felt Tarabai’s hands tighten around hers. She rubbed them again. “Tri… Tri…” She almost whispered as Priyambada moved her ears forward, almost touching her lips to hear her speak “...shaan…” Priyambada stepped back, her face pale as Tarabai began to relapse again.

“Adhiraja?” It was Sehri who had jumped away from the bed at his sight and bowed as the rest as Ishaan Dev rushed to the empty spot Sehri left on the bed. 
“Tarabai?” He shook her unresponsive body by the shoulders. “Tarabai? Speak to me!”
“Her lips are getting blue!” It was Urvi who drew attention to it first “It's poison!” 
“Poison?” Ishaan Dev looked agitated at the crowd “Who the hell dared to poison you? What did you have? Speak up! Wake up, Tarabai.” Ishaan Dev’s voice changed from commanding to pleading in a moment, “Speak to me!”
Priyambada stared at him, blankly, as he shook Tarabai making her gasp for breath again. 
“The medicine man is here!” It was Devdoot who rushed in with the old man. Everyone except Ishaan moved back as he refused to leave her side. 
“Lay her down. The poison has spread.” Instinctively following the man’s voice, Ishaan Dev rested Tarabai's head on his lap. “Save her.” Tarabai blinked again at his commanding tone, as she stared at him with her blurry vision one last time. “Ss…sorry…” Ishaan Dev frowned as he read her lips move, her voice barely audible. He held on to her hand as Priyambada let it go. “Tarabai, stay with me!” He almost pleaded.
“It is too late.” The medicine man gasped.
“Too late?” Ishaan Dev looked agitated. “What do you mean too late?” The man stepped back in silence and trembled in fear. 
“Tarabai?” Ishaan Dev shook her by the shoulders as she let out a sigh and lay lifeless with her head on his lap. 
“Tarabai!” Priyambada’s shriek was followed by the wails of the ladies of the kothi. 

Ishaan Dev seemed to be in a trance as his glance remained fixed on her blue lips. Oddly enough since he was a child he had been fascinated by how the god’s neck was blue, and for the first time in his life, he saw something like that.
“Who did this to her?” The first words that escaped Ishaan Dev’s lips made Priyambada look up at him as he raised his voice. “Who dared to poison her?” His voice roared, silencing the wails. He stood up, after gently placing Tarabai’s head back on the pillow and faced the medicine man. “Tell me!”
“Pardon me. Your Highness.” The man lowered his glance and his voice. “It appears as though she took it herself.” 
“Nonsense!” Ishaan Dev controlled his urge to punch the man. What did he know? Tarabai would never… in his frustration to take his anger out he punched the pillar. It cracked and sent a wave across, toppling the metal vase that stood right in front of it, noisily. 
“I say that because…” the man gulped. “The venom that has been used is otherwise untraceable if taken with food, only direct intake shows such symptoms…”
“Why would she do that?” Ishaan Dev silenced the man as he looked around the room again “Why are all of you silent? Why would she take her life?” He was irked by the silent faces around him. “Get this man out of my sight!” He screamed at Devdoot. “Now!”

Priyambada stood up as Ishaan Dev looked agitated “Make arrangements for…” Her eyes teared up as she stared at Tarabai’s lifeless body one last time. She had been silent too long. Her silence had cost Tarabai her life. She should have told Ishaan what she thought of Trishaan Dev. Even in her last moments, Tarabai had taught her a lesson for life. Vrinda stepped forward and held her cold hands firmly. “You should come and rest.” She whispered, a little worried about her mistress. Maharani Priyambada nodded.
“I will do the last rites.” The Adhiraja’s words made the ladies gasp. Where have they heard of such a thing? Back when Rajadhiraja Trikal’s favourite concubine died during childbirth, from what they had heard from the old concubines in Suryapali, she didn’t even get a proper funeral. Let alone the royals shedding a tear or two in her name. Priyambada looked up at his words with a firm nod.

A soldier came in, making Priyambada stop leaving as he bowed. “There is a messenger for His Highness about the border issue…”
“I will go.” Priyambada stepped forward firmly as Ishaan Dev glanced at her. 
“Don’t go alone.” His voice trembled as he was scared to lose sight of her. She understood it. 
“I will just be hearing him out and meeting you in the chambers. I promise.” She spoke in calm reassurance as Ishaan Dev nodded his head reluctantly. 

Maharani Priyambada had reached the outer courtyard with Devdoot to see Sashi waiting. He was at first taken aback to see her instead of his master. “We are having a crisis. Is it something you can trust me with?” Priyambada asked, in a firm tone. Sashi bowed to her. Of course, he was aware of how much his master trusted her. One thing about spies was that they knew as much about their masters as they did about enemies. It helped them survive. “I can of course tell you, Your Majesty.” Sashi shook his head and eyed Devdoot. “But…”
“You can speak in front of him, I reassure you…”
“But…” Shashi seemed reluctant. Devdoot eyed him once disapprovingly shaking his head, before stepping back a few feet, enough to not hear them speak but close enough to keep an eye on his mistress. 
“It is about the internal rebellions,” Sashi whispered. Priyambada’s eyes narrowed cluelessly.  What was he talking about? 
“What rebellions?” Priyambada’s words made Sashi look pale. Was it a bad idea, after all, to tell her?
“I command you to tell me everything.” Maharani Priyambada spoke firmly. 
“If I may have the permission to speak freely…” Sashi cleared his throat seeing her nod an approval, “It is Your Highness’ mother …”
“What did Rani Surachana do now?” The hint of disgust in Priyambada’s voice was not disguised. Sashi observed her. One of his skills as a spy was to deceive and spot deceive. And her emotions seemed to align with her body language. Either he was getting rusty, or she was a good actress if this was not true. 
“She and General Unmukt joined hands. I had already informed His Highness. We were gathering proof against the General and his internal uprising.”
“Do you have it?” Sashi nodded at Maharani Priyambada’s words. “I do, enough to say he’s raising an army of rebels against His Highness and the throne and plans to put Priyam Dev on it as a puppet for his desires.”
“Do you know his hideout?” Sashi nodded again. “And…”
“And?” Priyambada raised her eyebrows “There is more?” She wasn’t sure if she could handle so much in a day. The wails of the Kothi could suddenly be heard in the distance. Sashi looked up at the sound, a little disturbed. 
“Perhaps it is a bad time, Your Majesty.” Sashi shook his head.
“I assure you, it is not, speak!”
“General Unmukt was seen meeting some … close aides of the Suryapali royals in the forest multiple times this week.”
“Was it Trishaan?” Priyambada’s words startled Sashi. He nodded, secretly admiring the queen whose intelligence he had only heard of and never witnessed before.
“He… might be after your heir.” Sashi stopped, unsure of whether he should diverge details of the conversations he had witnessed.
“I give you the permission to arrest Unmukt and bring him to court.” Priyambada spoke firmly, and turned to Devdoot, “Can you do the needful for Sashi to carry out the order?”
“Yes, Your Majesty. I will alert the generals nearby to march immediately to General Unmukt’s secret hideout and catch the rebels.” Devdoot bowed. He was about to guide Sashi out to the guard’s quarters and plan the needful surprise raid on Unmukt and his men when Priyambada’s words stopped him. 
“Arrest Rani Surachana and Priyam Dev too.” 
Devdoot stood too stunned to speak for a moment before he nodded and left with Sashi. Priyambada sighed as though it was difficult for her to breathe. The sound of anklets made her turn as Vrinda came running down the corridor.
“Come quickly Your Highness, His Highness seems to be … disturbed in the chambers. Even Mallal can’t stop him.”

Ishaan Dev had walked into his chambers like a dead man as the image of Tarabai’s lifeless body flashed in his mind and the words of the medicine man rang in his ears. Did she kill herself? She killed herself! Why would she do that? Why would she even think of ending her life? Was it because of him? Because she loved him? Maybe he was to blame. He led her on, didn’t he? Was Tarabai that naïve to… her last words suddenly made Ishaan Dev angry. Sorry? Sorry! Tarabai? After all these years? Did you think Sorry would do away with everything? How can I live with the guilt of your blood in my hands? I killed you, didn’t I? I made you do this. Am I even a man worthy enough to be called so if I can’t protect the women around me? Am I exactly like my father? Heartless towards you like he was with…? Ishaan Dev was red with anger, his ears grew warm as he stood up and let out a frustrated grunt. Just when things were supposed to be sorted out…

Why Tarabai? Ishaan Dev toppled the small table with the tray of drinks on it. The wine from the vessel stained the carpet and reminded him of blood. He kicked the tumblers that scattered across the floor took out his sword and slashed it across the air. A part of the curtain was caught in it and was thrown into the burning lamp. The smell of something burning alerted Mallal who stood outside. He rushed inside and tried to douse the fire which seemed to have caught the carpet soaked in wine. Two soldiers came rushing in with buckets of water. Ishaan Dev looked around the room in total disarray, the smell of soot and smoke engulfing every corner of it even after the soldiers had successfully doused the flames. Mallal had called out to his master twice, requesting him to leave the room. When Ishaan Dev placed the cold metal edge of his sword against Mallal’s neck and called him treacherous he knew it was time to ask the Maharani for help. 

Maharani Priyambada walked into the chambers of the king to find him sitting on the half-burnt carpet that smelled of soot and wine staring into nothingness. She dismissed Mallal and Vrinda and walked up to Ishaan Dev. He didn’t stir. Priyambada gently placed her hand on his shoulder and it made him jolt. Priyambada had never seen him this visibly shaken. Yes, he had been upset when Niranjan Verma died but this time he was jolted as if someone slapped him awake from a nightmare. Priyambada sat down on the couch as he stared at her gesturing at him to take a seat beside her. Reluctantly Ishaan Dev did as he was told. Priyambada knew it was time to share everything she had held on to for so long.
“Sashi was here.” She cleared her throat. He didn’t respond. “Your spy, he was…”
“This is all my fault, isn’t it? I led Tarabai to kill herself.” Priyambada stopped at his words as he shook his head. “It is all my fault!”
“Do you think Tarabai killed herself?” She asked him, firmly.
“I didn’t but the medicine man…!” He shook his head “he is right.”
“Yes, he is but that doesn’t mean she killed herself.” Ishaan Dev looked at her confused as he frowned a little.
“What do you mean?” he asked, agitated.
“Yes, she took the poison herself. But why?” Priyambada asked. Ishaan Dev shook his head.
“Have you not been listening? Because of me.” he raised his voice as eyes met and he shook his head again “I am sorry, I am so sorry… I…” he stopped at his own words.  “She said sorry.” Priyambada agreed as he spoke, “What was she apologising for?”
“There are people out there who tried to harm me. She didn’t let them.” Priyambada spoke, her voice trembling as her eyes filled up. “If it wasn’t her it would have been me.”
“No!” Ishaan Dev shook his head “Who would dare to do that to us? To me? I am the heir of Suryapali, King of Neelambargarh!” He shook his head and stood up agitated.
“That is what I am trying to tell you. Why didn’t you tell me about Unmukt and my brother?” Ishaan Dev glanced over his shoulder as Priyambada wiped away her tears. “Sashi gathered evidence. I have ordered their arrest.” She stood up to face him “Why was I kept in the darkness all these months?”
“Because they are your people I thought you wouldn’t believe me without proof.” Ishaan Dev shrugged “But they tried to harm you? I will execute them, every one of the rebels will be crushed under the feet of my elephants!” He raised his voice again as Priyambada smiled faintly. 
“And what about someone beyond the borders? Who killed Tarabai and may again try to kill me!”
“What?” Ishaan Dev frowned “Who are you talking about?”
“It should be me who should be blamed for Tarabai’s death, not you, Raja.” Priyambada sank back on the couch and hid her face in her painted palms as she sobbed. “If I had spoken up sooner…”
“Who is trying to harm you? Priyambada! Don’t riddle me.” Ishaan Dev knelt before her, holding her shoulders firmly in his hands. “Who is trying to harm my child?”
“Trishaan Dev.” Priyambada felt his grip loosen over her shoulder as he sat down on his knees staring at her in disbelief. “He had challenged me long back but I didn’t want to tell you as yet because I had no proof.”
“You could have…” Ishaan Dev shook his head, taking her cold hands in his. “Priya… this is between you and me…”
“Wasn’t it the same reason you didn’t tell me about Unmukt?” She asked as Ishaan Dev felt silent. 
“Do you have proof now?” He asked, a little scared of the answer. Priyambada’s jaws tightened. “I don’t need proof now, I have a dying woman’s last words and a man we can tie to Trishaan circumstantially.” Ishaan Dev gulped. “Tarabai?” Priyambada nodded. “She took his name. Vrinda and Urvi heard it too.”
“I will execute that bastard in broad daylight.” Ishaan Dev stood up and raised his sword. “He won’t see the light of another day.”
“And you think that Suryapali will allow you to do that?” Priyambada’s words made him stop as he lowered his sword. 
“If they don’t I will summon him for a fight, man to man. You know I can kill him!”
“I don’t doubt that, but if I were him, I wouldn’t even come for such a duel. I wouldn’t need to.” She shook her head. “I would sit tight at home, safe.” Ishaan Dev knew she was right. 
“I have to avenge her death, Priya. Otherwise… otherwise they would think I am too weak to protect my women. And hence too weak to be king. I would never be able to forgive myself!”
“Trust me when I say this.” Priyambada stood up and faced Ishaan Dev “You will have your chance. And I pray it is soon.”
“Everything is falling apart, Priya.” Ishaan Dev sighed “Isn’t it?”
“Maybe it was never together, you just never saw it,” Priyambada reassured him by holding his hand. 
“Promise me, you won’t do anything stupid. I need you. Our child needs you.” Priyambada held his hand in hers and put it gently on her belly “Swear on us, you won’t let Tarabai’s sacrifice go in vain.”
“I will never!” Ishaan Dev nodded firmly “I swear on my child. I will not do anything stupid and I will avenge her death.” Priyambada nodded, wiping her tears. It was Devdoot’s arrival at the threshold that broke their moment as he stood with his head bowed, not sure how to put in words, how he would say, Tarabai was ready for her last departure. 

The smoke from the crematorium rose to the sky as Priyambada watched from one of the towers with teary eyes. She watched the women of the Kothi seem lost and orphaned and wiping her tears she immediately took charge of them. 
“Preserve her room like it was, and her memories too. I promise you whoever did this will pay.” The women stared at each other, taken aback by her words. “Neither I nor His Highness believes that she could take her life.” The women agreed.
“But who would take charge of our living now?” One of the older women asked. “We can’t do it…”
“I will.” Priyambada’s words made them gasp. A Maharani taking charge of the Kothi? A king at a funeral of one of their own? They had seen everything.
“You are a part of my palace and my responsibility. You will be taken care of until you can find one of your own to lead your Kothi as efficiently as she did.” Priyambada reassured. “I can’t speak on behalf of His Highness whether he would summon your services or when, but I can speak for myself and tell you not to worry, none of you will be living in any lesser condition as long as I am alive.” She saved my life! The Kothi erupted in her praises. “Long live our queen!”

Ishaan Dev stood in front of the dousing flames of the crematorium as one of the pyre lighters picked up the ashes of Tarabai’s remains. He put them in a pot and was not sure who to hand them over to. After all, he had never seen a royal attend such a thing. Devdoot stepped forward to take it and Ishaan Dev eyed him about to walk towards the river. 
“No!” Ishaan Dev’s voice made them stop “Don’t let the ashes go.”
“But if we don’t complete the rituals she wouldn’t be free. Her spirit would…” The priest reasoned. 
“She wouldn’t be free until I…” He closed his eyes to compose himself. “Take the ashes back Devdoot, It will remain there until I say otherwise.” Devdoot nodded and followed the instructions. He knew better than to question his master in such a situation. The setting sun’s bright red rays across the palace of Neelambargarh that dusk reminded everyone that they had Tarabai’s blood on their hands, one way or the other and the only way to avenge such bloodshed, was with more of it.

Devdoot had arrived at the threshold of Maharani Priyambada’s chambers and bowed. The Maharani was sitting like a statue staring at the carpet like the secrets of life were written on it when his voice made her look up. She wiped away the teardrop that had trickled down her cheek and was about to fall from her chin. 
“What is it Devdoot?” It was Urvi who asked.
“Your Highness, the… rituals have been taken care of but the Adhiraja ordered the urn to be placed in the Kothi.” Priyambada nodded as he continued “His Highness is in his chambers and doesn’t wish to be disturbed.”
“And?” Maharani Priyambada stared at him making Devdoot stare back a little startled. “Have you done the needful with Sashi?” Devdoot nodded.
“The acquired goods are in the dungeon.” He had to be discrete for the maids in the room, even though perhaps Vrinda or Urvi shouldn’t be trusted with the revelations of General Unmukt’s arrest.
Maharani Priyambada stood up and walked up to Devdoot.
“Take me to him.” A taken aback Devdoot stared at his queen in disbelief.
“Now?” He asked, gulping. “Should we not inform His Highness?”
“Do I take orders from you now?” Maharani Priyambada made him shake his head.
“I apologise, Your Highness, come with me.”

General Unmukt looked up with hope as the lock of his cell was opened and Maharani Priyambada appeared at the door.
“It is a mistake, Your Highness.” He spoke as he knelt before her. “I have always been loyal to Neelambargarh.”
“Yet your loyalty led to treason?” Maharani Priyambada’s voice was calm. “He will have you prosecuted.”
“Please save me, Your Highness,” Unmukt begged, almost falling at her feet. “I have been a loyal servant to your father.”
“So you have been.” Priyambada nodded in agreement.
“Please, I have children and an ailing mother back home. I can’t die.”
“There is only one way I can help you, Unmukt.” Maharani Priyambada paced the room as the chained prisoner looked up from his pleading. “But I am not sure you will…”
“I will do anything you say.”
“Then tell me all the details of how you planned this, who helped you. Whom did you meet?” Unmukt looked away as Maharani Priyambada’s last question made a shiver run down his spine.
“Whom did you meet from across the border?” He looked up at her and gulped. “We know everything, Unmukt but I want to hear it from you.”
“Will you spare me a death sentence if I tell you everything?”
“We may consider, given how useful your information is.” Priyambada agreed. “But you are in no position to negotiate here.”
“Rajputra Ravi Varman.” Unmukt spoke, as though with incredible difficulty. “And Trishaan Dev. I had never met Trishaan Dev before. I correspond with the Rajputra and…” Unmukt looked up at Priyambada’s stone-cold face. “It was Trishaan Dev who planned everything. I swear. I was just keeping my vows to Rani Surachana. I have no hand in anything else.” He looked up pale, to see that Maharani Priyambada had turned away from him and left the chamber.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

His Wife

" Where is the Kesar, Rama? And the Kalash?" Ajabde looked visibly displeased at the daasi who ran. " They are at the fort gates and nothing is ready yet!" She exclaimed. She was clad in a red Jora and the jewellery she had inherited as the first Kunwarani of the crown prince. Little Amar ran down the hallway towards his mother. " Maa sa Maa sa... who is coming with Daajiraj?" His innocent question made her heart sink. " Bhanwar Ji." Sajja Bai called out to him. " Come here I will tell you." Amar rushed to his Majhli Dadisa. " Ajabde." She turned at Jaivanta Bai's call. "They are here." " M... My Aarti thali..." Ajabde looked lost like never before. Jaivanta Bai held her stone-cold hands, making her stop. She patted her head and gave her a hug. The hug gave her the comfort she was looking for as her racing heart calmed down. Jaivanta Bai left her alone with her thaal. " Maa sa!" Amar exclaimed

My Everything

Kunwar Pratap stormed into the Mahal at Gogunda. Happy faces of the chieftains and soldiers welcomed him as Rao Ramrakh and Rawatji stopped the ongoing Raj tilak. A visibly scared Kunwar Jagmal looked clueless at a visibly angry Kunwar Pratap. Rani Dheerbai Bhattiyani hadn't expected this son of Mewar to show up that too twenty-one days after his father's death. He was not informed as per Dheerbai's instructions. She looked at Rawat Ji. He must have gone to Raoji at Bijolia. No one except them knew where Kunwar Pratap was staying. It was for the safety of his family. " What are you doing Chotima?" A disappointed voice came. She could stoop down so low? " We were about to inform you..." She spoke up in her defence. " When Dheerbai ji?" Maharani Jaivanta Bai, clad in white entered the hall as people bowed before her. " After your son's coronation?" " I did nothing Badima I swear!" A low voice came from Jagmal. " Maha

To Protect You

Kunwar Pratap was in court with Rana Udai Singh. The Mughals were conquering a huge part of the north courtesy of Bairam Khan and Mewar on their routes to the ports of Gujarat. " Dajiraj we need to secure the roads leading to Agra and also towards the west. The attack-prone areas should always be under surveillance." " Yes Ranaji. Baojiraj is right." Rawatji agreed.   In the Rani Mahal, everyone was preparing for a grand lunch. Ajabde was making a sweet dish for the princes and princesses and in a hurry, she forgot to add the Kesar and Badam on top. As she served the smaller princes including Kunwar Jagmal, Dheerbai came to inspect her eldest son's food. " What is this? Who made this? Kokoiaji?" She stormed to the kitchen with a bowl of sweet dishes.   " Kunwaranisa did." Came a scary answer, from Veer Bai. " Ajabde Baisa." Her words let out a silent gasp from the lesser queens who stood witness. Calm and composed, Ajabde walked up

Towards You

Kunwar Pratap and Ajabde were friends. He didn't feel awkward sharing his plans and thoughts with her anymore. She was more than happy to advise him on everything. She was happy he listened to her advice before taking or discarding them, be it on what to wear to Padmavati's Sagai or how to befriend the revolting Bhils. He loved the way Ajabde always used metaphors from Puranas and Ramayanas to explain the toughest things so easily. She expressed herself so well, so easily that it amazed him.   The Afghans were now led by Mehmood Shah. They have made secret territories in the forests and waited to attack. Rawatji and his spies had confirmed the news and Udai Singh had warned Mehmood Shah to withdraw his troops from Mewar in vain. Now, it was time they declared war. Mehmood Shah had limited resources in Mewar. And his spies clearly suggested that in no way could he win, especially with Kunwar Pratap leading his troops. He was having second thoughts about the war. One of his aides

Chapter Two: Catastrophe

Abhaya was suffocating as she could now taste the soot and ash in her mouth. She could see the smoke engulf her. The boxes around her turned into shadows in the blurred vision. She opened her mouth to breathe but the choking air wanted to make her cough. She ran, stumbling upon some boxes and utensils towards the window on the other side. It was shut firmly and her weak hands could do little to move it an inch. She placed the end of her saree over her face and coughed, hoping not to be heard from the outside. The sound of chaos and footsteps outside was increasing. She heard a scream. Was it her mother? Her sister? Or one of the sisters-in-law? Were they escaping? Should she try too? She tried to find something to break the window with, but instead, she froze at the sight of flames entering through the cracks of the door she had shut behind her. Abhaya said a soft prayer. This is how it ends. This was not the country her father served. This was not the country her mother read stories o

Destiny

The war was almost won.  A few of Marwar’s soldiers were left on the field along with Rao Maldeo Singh Rathore, their king and leader.  He was thinking of retreating at the end of this day. As his sword clashed with one of the opponent generals as he eyed the opponent King now open and prone to attack. A little hope flickered in his mind as his eyes instructed his closest aide.  The opponent was quite in a winning situation thanks to their new Senapati. He was just 16 yet his bravery and valour reflected his blood and upbringing. He mesmerised the opponents and even Rao Maldeo with his clever war strategies and sword skills. As Maldeo’s aide swung his sword at a taken aback Udai Singh, someone’s sword defended it as his body acted like a shield for the king. He killed the man in one go. “ Ranaji are you okay?” “ Haan Raoji.” He nodded gratefully.  By half the day, the Marwar army had retreated as the air filled with “ Jai Mewar! Jai Eklingji!” From the triumphant soldiers. Rana Udai Si

Chapter Three: Pedigree

  The Imperial Police work was a tough job. The family had no idea what Superintendent Animesh Kumar Mukhopadhyay went through to provide for his family and their luxurious lives. Abhaya’s father never failed to let his family know that. Every time he drank down his sins. Every time he came home drunk. Every time he beat his wife. Abhaya would often sit awake all night, her pillow pressed against her ears as she sobbed silently, hoping that her mother’s begging sobs and father’s lewd language would stop. One day she had opened the door of her room slightly and was about to step out when her sister-in-law intervened. Her face was dark as she coldly told Abhaya to return to her room. She would be punished if her elder brothers found out about her trying to get out of her chambers at night. Abhaya at twelve knew one truth greater than others. Men were like this, women had to tiptoe around them to serve them as they demanded.  She was intimidated by the regular chores the women of the hous

Love?

“I swear I can kill that Sakhaveer.” Balwant swung his sword at the Dangal as Ratan and Ajabde looked on. Ajabde hid a smile as Ratan looked amused. “Like you did last time?” Ratan’s chuckle made Ajabde press her hands with a soft no as Balwant stopped his sword and looked angry. “What do you know Ratan?” He roared angrily. “What do girls know anyways about fighting??” “Jija can fight better than you.” Ratan looked angry and defensive. “Ratan! Leave it.” Ajabde insisted. “No!! Jija, I saw you, you are better…” “Then let’s have a duel Jija.” Balwant insisted. “No.” Ajabde looked surprised and shaken. “It’s been such a long time since I have …” “No excuses Jija, teach him! That girls can be…” Ratan insisted as Balwant handed her a sword she took rather reluctantly. She tied the corners of her dupatta together and her braid in a bun. Kunwar Pratap was making his way out at the Dangal when he heard swords clash. He gathered the father-son duo would be at the Dangal

Understandings

After counting days, Ajabde was happy that she was going to Bijolia. She knew how eager her mother and Ratan would be to know about her new life. She couldn't wait to hug her mother and feel like... Home. She was selecting gifts for her parents and her siblings as per Ranima's instructions. Then suddenly an idea struck her mind. Her new family welcomed her with so much love and support. Especially Ranima and Majhli Maa Sa. She wanted to give them something. Suddenly she remembered that Ranima had loved her embroidery work on dupattas back in Bijolia so she called a Dasi and ordered some plain Chunris and embroidery threads. She had a lot of work to finish in a day before leaving.   Kunwar Pratap came back into the room to see her on the floor, right in the middle of the room with red, green, yellow, and pink all sorts of dupattas scattered. " What's all this?" He asked not sure if he should be asking. " I am making gifts. For Ranima, Majhli ma, Rani Dheer Bai

Friends?

Early morning, Ajabde walked into Saubhagyawati’s house as the Panditji looked relieved. “Baisa you are here now I don’t need to look after anything.” She walked into Saubhagyawati’s room and found her braiding her hair nervously. Her lehenga looked beautiful and only the maangtika was about to be put so Ajabde did the honours. Saubhagyawati held her hand and took a deep breath. “Ajabde have a confession.” “What is it Bhago?” She looked worried. “Are you scared?” “No no Ajabde it’s not that. I… met him… before…” “Whom?” “The one who is coming to see me.” She looked away scared. “What? How…” Ajabde looked at her with wide eyes. “woh… Both nights when I waited for you in the…” “Hai Bhagwan Bhago! What if he says that seeing you in front of your father?”  Ajabde spoke up as Bhago looked shocked. Why didn’t she think that before? “What will we do now?” Bhago asked worriedly. Ajabde was lost in thoughts. No way could people know. The groom had arrived with