Skip to main content

Protidaan: Twenty Four

Trauma was something least spoken of, yet the impacts of it stayed longer than perhaps even loss. I realised it when I watched Bibha before my eyes. It's been months since she was back home, yet nothing seemed to be back to how it was. Perhaps she would never be the same again. Her health had improved but she was still bruised in places we could never see or know. It is not that she never tried. She involved herself in daily chores, something she was never interested in before, giving Lata a hand with everyday things, knitting in her free time and even reading to Thamma at her bedside. Occasionally she would laugh at Ananta’s jokes, read books with Lata and discuss them and even hum along when Ananta took the piano and Lata led her there. But then, even while laughing at something, or remembering a childhood memory she would go into a trance, stop smiling and staring into emptiness. Ananta tried in vain to snap her out of it. She wasn’t her old confident outspoken self anymore. She barely wanted to be alone. At first, Lata would sleep with her for days, because she woke with nightmares in the middle of the night and Lata had to persuade her she was safe. Then she started sleeping with Thamma with the excuse that she would keep an eye on the old woman. In the meanwhile, the search for their colleges continued. Lata had secured good marks in her school finals. When Kakima came with the news and a Bhar of Rashogollas, that was the first time Bibha had stepped out of the house in months, to join Shobha and Lata at her place for the day. From my window, I could spot them up on the roof, as Lata tended to the flower pots and Shobha explained something in hand gestures while Bibha looked attentively at her. Soon the admissions started and I made sure they had filled up their forms and submitted them on time I would visit the colleges of the district to check the enrollment lists.

Dada however telephoned from Calcutta expressing his displeasure that Bibha was doing the wrong thing. Although he hadn’t even spoken to her since she came back, he wanted to take decisions on behalf of his siblings the way Baba did for us once. He wasn’t entirely wrong on his part. We, the men of the house, perhaps learnt to show our affection through other emotions, even anger and grudge, like our fathers showed us. He wanted Bibha to study at Calcutta University but I am sure that Boudi was somehow relieved that she didn’t have to take Bibha’s responsibility. Bibha had refused to leave home, and she wanted to study whatever Lata wanted to study. That disturbed me, for I wanted her to choose her own path. But Bibha was adamant that she would do whatever Lata did and not be alone in an institution full of strangers. Thamma agreed to it rather quickly.  Lata chose Bengali Literature. That was no surprise. Bibha filled out the exact same forms she did and as a result, both of them got enrolled at the Labpur Sambhunath College. I offered to drive them there for their first day. That was the day I also realised that my sister was not naive anymore, and neither was I the best of actors.

As Bibha sat beside me in the car and Lata checked their documents twice over in the back seat, Bibha eyed her with a warning glance.
“Stop that, you have checked them thousand times over.”
“I was just…” Lata stopped to realise my eyes were on the rearview mirror, on her, instead of the road ahead. She cleared her throat and shifted a little in her place. I immediately concentrated back on the otherwise empty road. “Making sure…”
“Our Lata would come first if there was a competition of fidgetiness.” Bibha smiled at me. I smiled back as Lata frowned. I eyed her again in the rearview mirror. 
“I talked to my old teacher for you two,” I said while the college approached. “He is the headmaster in my school now, he would teach you both. But you have to go over to his house. He is old.” 
“That is alright, we just need guidance once a week, right Lata?” Bibha asked, glancing over her shoulder as Lata nodded. 
“Wish us the best Dada.” Bibha smiled, as I nodded from the driver's seat. Lata got out of the car and helped Bibha with her bag. Bibha waved at me as I smiled and drove off. 

I was there, waiting at the gates, with the car parked behind me, cigarette in hand, when I spotted them walking out of the college, smiling and talking to each other. I immediately put it out and waved away the smoke around me. It was Lata who spotted me first, as I smiled faintly at her. Bibha walked up to me first. 
“The college is nice. I think we will have a good time for a few years, right Lata?” She spoke as she took the front seat. Lata looked up at me with a reassuring nod as I walked over to the driver’s side. 
“It even has a teaching programme,” Bibha spoke, waving the pamphlet with Prospectus written over it.
“We need to do our Masters and B.Ed for that.” Lata reminded her.
“What’s the problem?” I frowned at her from the rearview mirror. “You can do both.”
“Can I?” Lata asked, unsure, as I nodded. Bibha frowned a little tilting her head, 
“Why are you asking him?” She said suddenly, making us feel aware of her presence. “I say start taking tuitions, and you can pay your own fees for the Master.” She nodded intelligently, “You have three years to save up.”
“That won’t be necessary.” I realised I had spoken out of turn as Lata eyed me with a warning glance in the rearview mirror. “I mean…” I added, “I am paying for yours, I can pay for hers.” Lata looked away as Bibha shook her head.
“I am thinking of starting to take tuitions myself.” She shrugged. “I would love that.” I didn’t protest and neither did Lata. We let her do whatever she wanted to do, to make her happy. We walked into the house as Lata dropped her bag on the couch and tied her saree to her waist and called out to Kanai da. Bibha frowned.
“Go get some rest at least.” She snapped as Lata murmured something like Ananta would be back from his football practice and needed to eat. “This girl doesn’t sit.” Bibha shook her head and went to her room. I eyed her and Kanai then cleared my throat to speak. I told her Bibha was right and that she should go home. She just glared at me, making me stop as she walked into the kitchen, informing me that tea would be served soon. I walked up to my room, defeated and sat down at my desk. 

She came in soon after, with the tea and placed it down without interrupting my scribbling.
“You should write books.” Her words made me stop and half turn on my chair as she put the clothes back in the wardrobe.
“What?” I narrowed my brows a little amused. “Where did that come from?”
“You write all the time, and you never share them.” She shrugged. I smiled faintly.
“I can share them with you,” I said with a lingering smile. She didn’t look up at my teasing tone as she seriously continued, “You should let the world read your writings.” 
“So you think anyone who writes can be a writer?” I asked again, teasingly. She stopped to turn and face me.
“No, I never said that. I am not a fool.” She shook her head with a frown. “But you can. All you need is the right inspiration.” At that, her eyes sparkled and I closed the cap of my fountain pen, still amused.
“An inspiration?” I asked, rubbing my hand over my stubble as she nodded.
“Yes, like nature-inspired poetry and the freedom movement inspired so many authors and…” She stopped as I smiled, my gaze on her.
“I will tell you what.” I smiled as she stopped. “Someday I will write about you.” She looked a little flushed at my smile as she shook her head.
“What’s there to tell about me?” She shrugged and proceeded to rearrange the books on my table, still ignoring my glances. “I am just a normal village girl.” I stood up from my chair at that and she stepped back a little unsure, staring at me.
“But you are the protagonist of my story.” Lata’s cheeks looked red as she blushed profusely. 
Thaak. Hoeche.” She stepped back and walked away from the room, at a rather hurried pace.
Aree, kothay jaccho? Shono.” I called after her in vain.

It was Bibha who walked into my room, dragging Lata by her hand, some odd fifteen minutes later. I looked up from the book I had just started to read and  Lata looked a little pale, as I frowned looking up at Bibha’s face. 
“What is going on?” I asked as she eyed Lata.
“You tell me, why is she smiling like a fool alone in the kitchen?” I was a little taken aback as Lata looked at Bibha a little wide-eyed. She perhaps felt embarrassed and exposed to me.
“Didi!” She whispered in vain to stop Bibha.
“What?” She scolded Lata. “Both of you think I am some fool? I can’t see what is happening here? Am I blind?” My heart skipped a beat as Lata looked at me, scared. I cleared my throat trying to find my authoritative voice as I put the bookmark inside the book and stood up. 
“Bibhabati.” I tried to look like she disturbed my work for something I was clueless about. “What is this?”
“You tell me. I knew something was wrong.” Bibha shook her head, letting go of Lata’s hand as she moved to face us both and we stood beside each other. “At first I thought you must have had one of your silly fights because of me hence you weren’t talking. I felt so bad. Then I observed you two for some days. Then I realised…” She stopped as I still wore a frown on my face as Lata looked down at the floor.
“Must be this silly girl’s idea to keep me in the loop.” She eyed Lata. “She thinks her Didi can’t take good news well anymore?” Lata shook her head in soft protest and approached Bibha as she stepped back. 
“Don’t you dare talk to me, I am very angry with you Lata!”
“Listen. Bibha.” I tried to reason in vain.
“No! I will go complaint to Thamma.” Bibha made me stop as she looked intimidatingly at Lata “Chol tui!” she once again held Lata’s hand and dragged her away without paying any heed to me. Lata stared back at me helplessly as Bibha led her into Thamma’s room. I walked back to my room and sank back in my chair and was suddenly amused at whatever transpired. I hadn’t expected Bibha to suddenly show a glimpse of her old self at this. Perhaps Kaku Kakima and Thamma were right about what was needed to bring her back to normalcy. I wondered. I was happy that I saw a glimpse of the long-lost stubborn Bibhabati in my sister once more.

Ananta was in a state of shock. He threw a tantrum when Bibha told him that Thamma had called on our family priest for auspicious dates. She had persuaded Thamma and Lata to make sure there were no delays because of her. Lata tried to protest in vain and got scolded by Bibha for lying to her in the first place.
But Ananta? He wasn’t pretending to be disappointed like Bibha. He actually was. First, he complained to Thamma that he was always clueless and ignored for his age, and then he blamed Bibha for not sharing her thoughts. Ananta kept a certain distance from me, as I did with Dada. So he didn’t come up to me with such accusations but poor Lata faced twice his wrath.
“But you are Didi, how can you be Boudi?” I heard him say as she tried to feed him dinner in his room. “No. You can’t be.”
“This child!” Thamma shook her head sitting in her bed in the adjacent room as Bibha giggled. “When will he grow up?”
“Tell him to find another bride!” Ananta’s voice seemed agitated as Thamma and Bibha suddenly laughed amused. Lata couldn’t be heard. “Why does he have to steal you from us?”
“The day Lata stops treating him like a five-year-old.” Bibha smiled. I partially agreed. 

He threw tantrums knowing that his Didi would attend to them. Lata had reassured Ananta that nothing changed between them. She was still his Didi and she would still keep his secrets from me like she used to. Ananta, who had lost his mother when he was barely six, perhaps didn’t want to share his Didi’s affection or attention with me. Lata being the kind of person she was, spent the next week, cooking his favourite meals and giving him extra nurturing to reassure him of her priorities. Bibha found it rather silly. She shook her head, scolded the fourteen-year-old she called a “man child” and reminded him to behave. Ananta kept sulking till the day Thamma made him realise that Lata would be staying in his house forever. That was the moment Ananta was convinced. He had throughout his life, even while in college and while working come back home to wherever Lata was. More than visiting any of his siblings or writing to us, he had made sure his Didi always knew what he was up to. And he had decided never to call her Boudi. It reminded him of someone who was never his own.

Dramas are easy to write. Look around you, and you would inevitably find inspiration everywhere. From the extended families attending festivities to everyday households, everything involved a lot of drama in our daily lives. You just need to have an eye for it. Any kind of celebration in Indian families is never complete without someone getting upset, someone feeling insulted and a lot of people getting involved; mistakes are inevitable. Weddings top that list most definitely. Ananta, when he used his inheritance to study away from home later, witnessed a white wedding of one of his college friends with a French girl in Madras once. He came back home to speak of how beautiful and simple Christian weddings are in comparison to ours. Lata had eyed him with warning glances, as he tilted his head back and laughed. He reassured her he had no plans for a wedding, Bengali or otherwise. That worried Lata even more. When Dada got married, Thamma wanted to keep the celebrations very simple. After all, only a year had passed since Ma’s demise. Her simplicity involved a horse-drawn carriage bringing the bride and groom home from the station and three days of guests pouring into the house day and night. When Dada complained about the frenzy she had dismissed him with a very simple theory, the marriage is yours, the wedding however involved the Bhattacharya family’s reputation. He didn’t argue and all of us found it a good excuse to pretend to be happy for once in over a year. Thamma had even bigger plans for Bibha’s wedding since she was born. She used to tell Baba often how she kept away her family heirloom for Bibha. They should stay with the daughter than the daughters-in-law coming from other households.  She never spoke of it since the day Bibha went missing. She knew she wouldn’t probably live to see Ananta married, so the responsibility to fulfil her dreams fell on my shoulders.

Thamma was sometimes old school. She preferred sending Dada a telegram about the wedding rather than ringing him up. Ananta did as she asked him to and within a day, Dada arrived, with Boudi and Khoka. He walked straight up to Thamma’s room dismissing me at the porch, surprised by their sudden arrival as Ananta greeted Boudi. 
“Where is Thakurjhi?” Boudi asked, eyeing the ground floor. “Oh, sorry, should I start calling her something else now?” She eyed me, as I looked away nonchalantly before she walked into Thamma’s room after Dada. Ananta took the cue to take Khoka out to the lawn as Bibha came down the stairs.
“What are they doing here?” She scorned rather disapprovingly as we could hear Dada’s voice raise. She walked out of the door, and across the street perhaps to tell Lata. 

I stood fixed to my spot till I heard Dada say “And who knows what her father is up to! We have a reputation. We can’t let Debu’s life be ruined by your emotional decision.” At that, I walked up the stairs and into Thamma’s room. I had walked in hearing Thamma say that he had willingly made his choice and she was allowed to make her choice for me. Dada opened his mouth to protest when Boudi stopped him. She took Thamma’s side, perhaps intimidated by the fact that the old lady had no filter to her truths when she started speaking about her Boro Bouma. She tried to calm Dada who now eyed me at the threshold.

“I suppose you are absolutely fine with this?” He asked as I stood my ground. For the first time in my life, I didn’t look away from his agitated face. “And you have no problem saving a dowerless girl in your humanitarian bid?” My jaws tightened. 
“I am nobody to save her Dada, in fact, it is she who saved us. She saved Bibha, she saved this house. She saved me.” I had never seen Thamma prouder when she looked at me that day. But it was too much for Dada to take. We ended up having a heated argument where he reminded me how grateful I should be to him, for being a father figure, paying for my college and guiding me. I kept quiet because I didn’t want him to feel insulted. But I failed to understand the need to tell someone what you did for them if you voluntarily took up the responsibility. That day, in my mind I decided I would never repeat the same, to Ananta. No matter what.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Everything

Kunwar Pratap stormed into the Mahal at Gogunda. Happy faces of the chieftains and soldiers welcomed him as Rao Ramrakh and Rawatji stopped the ongoing Raj tilak. A visibly scared Kunwar Jagmal looked clueless at a visibly angry Kunwar Pratap. Rani Dheerbai Bhattiyani hadn't expected this son of Mewar to show up that too twenty-one days after his father's death. He was not informed as per Dheerbai's instructions. She looked at Rawat Ji. He must have gone to Raoji at Bijolia. No one except them knew where Kunwar Pratap was staying. It was for the safety of his family. " What are you doing Chotima?" A disappointed voice came. She could stoop down so low? " We were about to inform you..." She spoke up in her defence. " When Dheerbai ji?" Maharani Jaivanta Bai, clad in white entered the hall as people bowed before her. " After your son's coronation?" " I did nothing Badima I swear!" A low voice came from Jagmal. " Maha

His Wife

" Where is the Kesar, Rama? And the Kalash?" Ajabde looked visibly displeased at the daasi who ran. " They are at the fort gates and nothing is ready yet!" She exclaimed. She was clad in a red Jora and the jewellery she had inherited as the first Kunwarani of the crown prince. Little Amar ran down the hallway towards his mother. " Maa sa Maa sa... who is coming with Daajiraj?" His innocent question made her heart sink. " Bhanwar Ji." Sajja Bai called out to him. " Come here I will tell you." Amar rushed to his Majhli Dadisa. " Ajabde." She turned at Jaivanta Bai's call. "They are here." " M... My Aarti thali..." Ajabde looked lost like never before. Jaivanta Bai held her stone-cold hands, making her stop. She patted her head and gave her a hug. The hug gave her the comfort she was looking for as her racing heart calmed down. Jaivanta Bai left her alone with her thaal. " Maa sa!" Amar exclaimed

Chapter Three: Pedigree

  The Imperial Police work was a tough job. The family had no idea what Superintendent Animesh Kumar Mukhopadhyay went through to provide for his family and their luxurious lives. Abhaya’s father never failed to let his family know that. Every time he drank down his sins. Every time he came home drunk. Every time he beat his wife. Abhaya would often sit awake all night, her pillow pressed against her ears as she sobbed silently, hoping that her mother’s begging sobs and father’s lewd language would stop. One day she had opened the door of her room slightly and was about to step out when her sister-in-law intervened. Her face was dark as she coldly told Abhaya to return to her room. She would be punished if her elder brothers found out about her trying to get out of her chambers at night. Abhaya at twelve knew one truth greater than others. Men were like this, women had to tiptoe around them to serve them as they demanded.  She was intimidated by the regular chores the women of the hous

To Protect You

Kunwar Pratap was in court with Rana Udai Singh. The Mughals were conquering a huge part of the north courtesy of Bairam Khan and Mewar on their routes to the ports of Gujarat. " Dajiraj we need to secure the roads leading to Agra and also towards the west. The attack-prone areas should always be under surveillance." " Yes Ranaji. Baojiraj is right." Rawatji agreed.   In the Rani Mahal, everyone was preparing for a grand lunch. Ajabde was making a sweet dish for the princes and princesses and in a hurry, she forgot to add the Kesar and Badam on top. As she served the smaller princes including Kunwar Jagmal, Dheerbai came to inspect her eldest son's food. " What is this? Who made this? Kokoiaji?" She stormed to the kitchen with a bowl of sweet dishes.   " Kunwaranisa did." Came a scary answer, from Veer Bai. " Ajabde Baisa." Her words let out a silent gasp from the lesser queens who stood witness. Calm and composed, Ajabde walked up

Chapter Four: Imprisoned

Abhaya was thrown into a room without windows and the doors were chained shut. It was dark and damp and the walls smelled of gathered dust. She could sense the chains being locked as she heard voices outside. She tried to get up but her bruised knees and weak body failed her. She stumbled on the cold stone floor to notice the mattress on one side and a pot of water on the other. What were they going to do to her? Was she the only one here? Where were her parents? In the Summer heat also she felt a shiver in her body. She briefly remembered her house up in flames, the bottles of kerosene being thrown at the open windows. Torches around the house, chanting slogans. The screams of the women. The last time she saw her elder brothers was when they picked up the pistols and canes from around the house. She realised her father was not home when she ran down the corridor towards the chaos, her heart on her throat. The loud sound of the car burning and the screams of her mother made her freeze.

Friends?

Early morning, Ajabde walked into Saubhagyawati’s house as the Panditji looked relieved. “Baisa you are here now I don’t need to look after anything.” She walked into Saubhagyawati’s room and found her braiding her hair nervously. Her lehenga looked beautiful and only the maangtika was about to be put so Ajabde did the honours. Saubhagyawati held her hand and took a deep breath. “Ajabde have a confession.” “What is it Bhago?” She looked worried. “Are you scared?” “No no Ajabde it’s not that. I… met him… before…” “Whom?” “The one who is coming to see me.” She looked away scared. “What? How…” Ajabde looked at her with wide eyes. “woh… Both nights when I waited for you in the…” “Hai Bhagwan Bhago! What if he says that seeing you in front of your father?”  Ajabde spoke up as Bhago looked shocked. Why didn’t she think that before? “What will we do now?” Bhago asked worriedly. Ajabde was lost in thoughts. No way could people know. The groom had arrived with

Understandings

After counting days, Ajabde was happy that she was going to Bijolia. She knew how eager her mother and Ratan would be to know about her new life. She couldn't wait to hug her mother and feel like... Home. She was selecting gifts for her parents and her siblings as per Ranima's instructions. Then suddenly an idea struck her mind. Her new family welcomed her with so much love and support. Especially Ranima and Majhli Maa Sa. She wanted to give them something. Suddenly she remembered that Ranima had loved her embroidery work on dupattas back in Bijolia so she called a Dasi and ordered some plain Chunris and embroidery threads. She had a lot of work to finish in a day before leaving.   Kunwar Pratap came back into the room to see her on the floor, right in the middle of the room with red, green, yellow, and pink all sorts of dupattas scattered. " What's all this?" He asked not sure if he should be asking. " I am making gifts. For Ranima, Majhli ma, Rani Dheer Bai

Destiny

The war was almost won.  A few of Marwar’s soldiers were left on the field along with Rao Maldeo Singh Rathore, their king and leader.  He was thinking of retreating at the end of this day. As his sword clashed with one of the opponent generals as he eyed the opponent King now open and prone to attack. A little hope flickered in his mind as his eyes instructed his closest aide.  The opponent was quite in a winning situation thanks to their new Senapati. He was just 16 yet his bravery and valour reflected his blood and upbringing. He mesmerised the opponents and even Rao Maldeo with his clever war strategies and sword skills. As Maldeo’s aide swung his sword at a taken aback Udai Singh, someone’s sword defended it as his body acted like a shield for the king. He killed the man in one go. “ Ranaji are you okay?” “ Haan Raoji.” He nodded gratefully.  By half the day, the Marwar army had retreated as the air filled with “ Jai Mewar! Jai Eklingji!” From the triumphant soldiers. Rana Udai Si

Struggles and Tests

Kunwar Pratap ran to hug his mother. Jaivanta Bai smiled pleased looking at him. Sajja Bai had accompanied her here with the Bhattiyani queen and had reached out to her sister in Marwar for shelter with the princesses until the war ended. She refused to stay like a commoner at Samant’s house. “Majhli Maasa.” Kunwar Pratap touched her feet and got a hug in return. “ Where is Chotima?” “She went to Mehrangarh.” Jaivanta Bai replied. Dressed simply in a blue lehenga and silver jewellery she still looked elegant. The sound of Payal made everyone turn as Hansa smiled at her daughter. “This is Ajabde. My eldest.” Ajabde stepped forward to touch the queen’s feet while Kunwar Pratap stepped back carefully watching the scene with a smile. Jaivanta Bai cupped her face and noticed her son’s reaction in silence. “Ajabde show them the guest rooms.” After the refreshments, Hansa Bai instructed her while Kunwar Pratap left in a hurry followed by Balwant who now kind of worshipped him.

Towards You

Kunwar Pratap and Ajabde were friends. He didn't feel awkward sharing his plans and thoughts with her anymore. She was more than happy to advise him on everything. She was happy he listened to her advice before taking or discarding them, be it on what to wear to Padmavati's Sagai or how to befriend the revolting Bhils. He loved the way Ajabde always used metaphors from Puranas and Ramayanas to explain the toughest things so easily. She expressed herself so well, so easily that it amazed him.   The Afghans were now led by Mehmood Shah. They have made secret territories in the forests and waited to attack. Rawatji and his spies had confirmed the news and Udai Singh had warned Mehmood Shah to withdraw his troops from Mewar in vain. Now, it was time they declared war. Mehmood Shah had limited resources in Mewar. And his spies clearly suggested that in no way could he win, especially with Kunwar Pratap leading his troops. He was having second thoughts about the war. One of his aides