Skip to main content

Protidaan: Chapter Twenty Nine

Thamma’s health was not improving much ever since Bibha had left. She had ailments, one after another first it started with the usual fevers, and quickly accelerated to something as grave as dysfunctioning organs and with each passing day she looked thinner and weaker. Though there were momentary relieves in between the major illnesses, the doctors said that it was old age taking a toll on her, which wasn’t curable. Ever since Baba’s accident and Ma’s demise all four of us had been somehow dependent on Thamma as the parent figure. She advised us on most of our major life decisions and we sought her approval for the same. None of us perhaps wanted to realise that she was getting older and that she had lived her life taking care of us.  With Lata in the house, and Bibha happy with Narayan, Thamma kept saying that her only remaining wish was to see Ananta settled. 

As her illness advanced through the years, Lata would often walk into the bedroom at night, wiping her tears away discreetly as she spoke of how Thamma took her hand in her feeble ones and reminded her to be there for Ananta. I had no words of false hope for her. Lata understood that. Yet, she perhaps felt at peace sharing with me, so I listened to her fears quietly. One day before going out for a vigil of our properties I had walked into Thamma’s chambers to seek her blessing when she looked up at me, her eyes a little foggy as she appeared disoriented in her sleep. 

Ke?” Thamma looked at my face as I checked her temperature. “Shirsha Naki?” I froze, almost like a chill went down my spine, for that was what she called Baba. Shirshendu was Sirsha for his parents. She still looked confused staring emptily at me, her wrinkled face a little pale. I cleared my throat and shook my head. She recognized me almost like she was out of a trance and held my hand in hers. Her grip was weak and her hands cold, probably from the lack of haemoglobin, the doctors had told her about. I sat down beside her on the edge of the bed.
“I don’t want to go.” Thamma suddenly started weeping, and I was taken aback. 
“Where will you go?” I reassured her, “We are right here.” She looked up at me and held onto my shirt like she was holding on for dear life. 
“I want to see your children. I told her… what’s her name? That girl who comes by…” She looked disoriented again as I frowned. 
“Who? Lata?” I asked, as my throat went dry. “Thamma, she doesn’t come by, she lives here now, for the past two years, remember?” She looked quite clueless at my words. The nurse who was appointed for her by Dada came in for her day shift and that allowed me to leave Thamma to her and walk out. I wore a frown on my face the entire day and couldn’t concentrate on my work. There was a sudden empty feeling in the pit of my stomach and it scared me to death. I also wondered what else she told Lata that she didn’t tell me, which perhaps added to her worries much like it did to me. After much contemplation, I dialled Dada’s number. He needed to be here. It’s been two years since they were home, last at Bibha’s wedding.

Dada, Boudi, the newborn and Khoka arrived the next day by train from Calcutta and Ananta rushed to fetch them. The first time my eyes met Dada's, his face was grim and I shook my head. He dropped his bags and rushed upstairs to Thamma’s room. Lata was there, feeding her evening soup, as she stepped away, putting the anchol over her head, as she came downstairs to greet Boudi. Boudi hugged her as I frowned at this sudden display of affection a little. Lata took the child carefully in her protective arms and cooed at her with a faint smile. Thamma had written to Boudi at the birth of her great-granddaughter, with a suggestion of a name, to my surprise, Boudi had kept her word. Nilima was Thamma’s mother’s name. Lata’s eyes teared up in between babbling at the child as Boudi turned to me. 
“Should we bring in a better doctor from Calcutta? Or ask if she can travel there?” I shook my head and repeated what the doctors had already told us. The diagnosis wasn’t the problem, her treatment was. She was too old to respond to treatment. A part of me was glad that Boudi cared. Lata took Khoka’s hand as Boudi and she walked to their room upstairs. I heard Boudi scolding Khoka for calling Lata Pishi again. Ananta was standing there, waiting for them to leave.
“Should we not call Didibhai?” He asked. I nodded. But they had recently shifted to yet another place. We didn’t have a number. So I decided to send a telegram to the Railway offices instead. Dada walked down to join us amidst the discussions and cleared his throat.
“We should also inform Dibbo Jethu.” His words made me frown. Ananta looked clueless. 
“Who is that?” He asked as he heard the name for the first time in his life.

Dibyendu Jyoti Bhattacharya was the firstborn of Dadu. He and his four siblings were scattered across the country and the last time we saw them was when Dadu died. We didn’t remember much, except that Baba had his address noted down in the family address book and they had refused to have anything to do with Thamma or the family after Dadu left. Why bother informing them? They would be pleased to know if something happened to her. Dada reasoned. The house, the properties and everything we had were Dadu’s and that meant they had equal rights to everything legally. If god forbid something happened and we didn’t inform them, they would drag us to court. At first, I was irked and somehow disappointed with his practical thinking. Instead of thinking of our old and dying grandmother who took care of us like a mother would, he was thinking of the legal implications of property.
“Why should we give them anything? They never took care of anything nor lived here.” Ananta’s harsh words died in Dada’s scolding. He was told to stay out of family issues. Diplomacy was something neither he nor I knew as much as Dada. Sometimes I feel if one has to learn to be politically correct one should jump into an Indian joint family and observe people. It was decided that a telegram would be sent. Many more were sent across to other relatives and to my distant Pishima.

Bibha arrived alone, two days later. Narayan couldn’t come with her as Lila had her examinations the next week. They promised to follow as soon as it was over. I went to the station to pick her up. Bibha appeared before me, dressed in a rather modern saree and simple jewellery, much like the ones Boudi wore, and the moment she saw me, she broke down. I didn’t have words to console her, as I silently picked up her luggage to take her home and she wiped her tears in a neatly folded floral handkerchief she took out from her purse. We didn’t share a single word throughout the journey back home. It was the moment that Bibha met Lata, almost two years after her marriage, that the two hugged and cried and had a lot to share. I let them have their moment as I handed the luggage to Kanai and walked away to my room, visibly disturbed perhaps. A little while later Lata came to check on me worryingly running her fingers through my hair as I lay on the bed, eyes closed. I smiled faintly at her touch to reassure her in vain. Bibha met Thamma, who was feeling a little better that day. She even ate all her meals, the nurse had gushed. She was then informed by Dada, much to my surprise about our decision to inform the other half of the family. She seemed to keep her opinion to herself as she nodded silently. Perhaps Bibha, like all other married women accepted that just like that, one fine day, this house, its people, and the ability to opinionate and decide for them was snatched from her, by a single stroke of vermillion on her hairline. 

Crisis often brings out the best and worst in people. We were shocked to receive a telegram back from Dibya Jethu who informed us that he would come to see Thamma and seek her forgiveness. Another came from Pishima who informed us that she was away, at her son’s newly settled home in Bombay and couldn’t come to see her dying mother because her new daughter-in-law was expecting. I was angry. I couldn’t help but remember all of Pishima's letters that Thamma had neatly saved in a box over the years. Her only surviving child was so aloof. Lata and Boudi got busy preparing the house for Jetha’s arrival. He was an old man, and that meant he perhaps wouldn’t arrive alone. I noticed that all of a sudden Thamma’s illness made us closer than we ever were. Dada listened patiently to my words, Boudi got along with Lata and amid the grim situation we faced, and the anxiety we endured every single day, we were a family. Dibya Jethu was an old man with a rather orthodox belief system. I was seeing him after decades and yet immediately recognized his face. I was suddenly disappointed. He had left, arguing with Baba and never bothered to come back once when he was gone. Nevertheless, we had to welcome him because of Thamma. 
“I am not a guest.” He said scornfully at Dada when he asked Boudi to bring him tea. “I grew up here. I will ask for things from Bouma when I need them.”

Dada was worried about what perhaps made Dibya Jethu arrive at Punya. He said people were not as simple in their gestures and motives as they appeared to be and for once I agreed with him. It was his son, our elder cousin Bitan Da who actually put forward their motive in a subtle way. After Thamma, the property, the house and estates belonged to all of Dadu’s children, divided equally among his sons. That meant they had a share of everything we nurtured and the house we called home. It also meant that Baba’s share would be distributed among us. It worried Dada the most, for he had always assumed everything around here was his. As for Ananta, he didn’t understand nor care much for all that. I was more concerned about the future of my ‘career’ than the property. Lata, who was devastated beyond any of us, didn’t wish to listen to any of us talk about it. On one of the nights as we laid side by side in bed, looking up at the whirling fan, I had mentioned the property issue Jetha was here for and she stared at me disapprovingly, calling all of us selfish and shallow. I felt numb for she was in some way, in her eyes right about us all. Nobody cared for the old woman slipping away more than the money and future involved. It was a sad truth. On a fateful night, Thamma slipped away, and none of us got a wink of sleep. But as soon as the rituals were done, I could sense the gathered relatives whispering and gossiping about the future of our estates.

Everything that transpired after she left us, sometimes still overwhelms me. They say people exaggerate that your life can change overnight. It did for us. Among the people who had arrived to pay their last respects to the lady were her lawyers from the firm in Calcutta. They had by this time been accustomed to me handling the estates. One of the partners at the firm, Mr Bagchi pulled Dada and me aside and broke the news that turned our world upside down. Mr Bagchi talked of a will Prasanna Debi had left to be carried out after her demise. A will stated that all the property, estate and even the house was to be sold off and the money divided, one-fourth going to us, and three fourth to Dadu’s other sons. She had however left her own jewellery to Bibhabati, her sarees to Lata and our mother’s things were to be divided equally among her son’s brides. The lawyer stated that he was to carry out the process over the next six months and eventually hand over the money to us. 

Though it would leave us with enough money, the implications were that we had to leave Punnya, our ancestral house, our home and, my career. I had been highly disappointed in Thamma, even emotional about the memories the nooks and corners of the house held for all of us. But it left us with a life-changing question. Where will we go? What will we do? In times of crisis that are emotional and life-altering, I find women being more stable even in the most shocking situations than men. As we sat in silence in Dada’s room, it was Boudi who cleared her throat and offered us to stay at their place in Calcutta when we have to leave Punnya until all of us figure something out. Dada also said his offer for me to partner in his firm was still open. Ananta, who was openly disappointed in the deceased lady for leaving him homeless now, wanted to pursue a career as a doctor and use his inheritance for it. Bibhabati lamented how Thamma suddenly left her with no place to come home to. Lata sighed, holding her hand in her own as she said “It is not the bricks that made us family Didi, wherever we are, you will always come home to us.” I looked up at her words. She was right. But what would I do? Go back to working for Dada? 

Lata had walked into the room, wiping her hand in her anchol looking rather tired, a few days later, as she closed the door to lament how suddenly empty the house looked. 
“It is good that she decided to sell it.” She said aloud trying to catch my attention as I paced the room, smoking. “It feels so haunting. Ananta is downstairs on his own. I asked him to move into Dada’s room. He refused.” I nodded in silence as she continued. “It is so strange to stay alone in the house the entire day.”
“Lata.” I made her stop as I gestured at her to sit down on the bed. I burnt the cigarette out on the ashtray and decided to share my woes with her. I didn’t want to work for Dada, she knew that. She was also well aware that even though Boudi made a generous offer it could sour relationships further. I wanted to avoid that. She briefly sat in silence after I lamented about what I should do, or where we should go. I was clueless and I didn’t think she could help much with it.

“Can I suggest something?” She asked as I nodded. “You remember how I wanted to teach?” She sat calmly and explained that we could rent a place in Shantiniketan. Baba’s old teacher was still in touch with us. His family lived there. We could even buy a small house with our inheritance. She could apply to the university or school to teach there, and I didn’t have to stay in the bustle of Calcutta that way. As for me, she walked up to the desk and picked up my journal. She declared almost like a mother, pushing her child towards his dreams, that it was time I took up writing, full time, without doubting my abilities. With the inheritance, we could even get my book published. I was a bit taken aback by her suggestion. She was implying that I depended on her salary and my inheritance to pursue my dreams. Wouldn’t that be unmanly of me? At least Dada would always say so.

Lata shook her head. She explained that this was our family. Our choice. She didn’t judge me. In fact, she wanted me to take the leap of faith. I pondered over her words through the sleepless night as I watched her sleep beside me. In the next few months, I contacted Baba’s acquaintances in Shantiniketan, looked up some small properties and bought myself a typewriter. My very first one, with which I typed each word of my first novel. It was on a Zamindar who had lost his land to the British after refusing to side with them. It didn’t sell more than a hundred copies, but Lata proudly put up my author’s copy on the bookshelf of our new two-bedroom bungalow house in Shantiniketan and encouraged me saying she was proud and that soon, the shelf would be full of my writing endeavours. I look up at the bookshelf as I type this. I smiled because she was right. Like always, Lata knew me more than I did. She helped me through my process and it was because of her constant faith and support that I succeeded to be the author I am, to readers like you who are reading this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Everything

Kunwar Pratap stormed into the Mahal at Gogunda. Happy faces of the chieftains and soldiers welcomed him as Rao Ramrakh and Rawatji stopped the ongoing Raj tilak. A visibly scared Kunwar Jagmal looked clueless at a visibly angry Kunwar Pratap. Rani Dheerbai Bhattiyani hadn't expected this son of Mewar to show up that too twenty-one days after his father's death. He was not informed as per Dheerbai's instructions. She looked at Rawat Ji. He must have gone to Raoji at Bijolia. No one except them knew where Kunwar Pratap was staying. It was for the safety of his family. " What are you doing Chotima?" A disappointed voice came. She could stoop down so low? " We were about to inform you..." She spoke up in her defence. " When Dheerbai ji?" Maharani Jaivanta Bai, clad in white entered the hall as people bowed before her. " After your son's coronation?" " I did nothing Badima I swear!" A low voice came from Jagmal. " Maha

His Wife

" Where is the Kesar, Rama? And the Kalash?" Ajabde looked visibly displeased at the daasi who ran. " They are at the fort gates and nothing is ready yet!" She exclaimed. She was clad in a red Jora and the jewellery she had inherited as the first Kunwarani of the crown prince. Little Amar ran down the hallway towards his mother. " Maa sa Maa sa... who is coming with Daajiraj?" His innocent question made her heart sink. " Bhanwar Ji." Sajja Bai called out to him. " Come here I will tell you." Amar rushed to his Majhli Dadisa. " Ajabde." She turned at Jaivanta Bai's call. "They are here." " M... My Aarti thali..." Ajabde looked lost like never before. Jaivanta Bai held her stone-cold hands, making her stop. She patted her head and gave her a hug. The hug gave her the comfort she was looking for as her racing heart calmed down. Jaivanta Bai left her alone with her thaal. " Maa sa!" Amar exclaimed

Chapter Three: Pedigree

  The Imperial Police work was a tough job. The family had no idea what Superintendent Animesh Kumar Mukhopadhyay went through to provide for his family and their luxurious lives. Abhaya’s father never failed to let his family know that. Every time he drank down his sins. Every time he came home drunk. Every time he beat his wife. Abhaya would often sit awake all night, her pillow pressed against her ears as she sobbed silently, hoping that her mother’s begging sobs and father’s lewd language would stop. One day she had opened the door of her room slightly and was about to step out when her sister-in-law intervened. Her face was dark as she coldly told Abhaya to return to her room. She would be punished if her elder brothers found out about her trying to get out of her chambers at night. Abhaya at twelve knew one truth greater than others. Men were like this, women had to tiptoe around them to serve them as they demanded.  She was intimidated by the regular chores the women of the hous

To Protect You

Kunwar Pratap was in court with Rana Udai Singh. The Mughals were conquering a huge part of the north courtesy of Bairam Khan and Mewar on their routes to the ports of Gujarat. " Dajiraj we need to secure the roads leading to Agra and also towards the west. The attack-prone areas should always be under surveillance." " Yes Ranaji. Baojiraj is right." Rawatji agreed.   In the Rani Mahal, everyone was preparing for a grand lunch. Ajabde was making a sweet dish for the princes and princesses and in a hurry, she forgot to add the Kesar and Badam on top. As she served the smaller princes including Kunwar Jagmal, Dheerbai came to inspect her eldest son's food. " What is this? Who made this? Kokoiaji?" She stormed to the kitchen with a bowl of sweet dishes.   " Kunwaranisa did." Came a scary answer, from Veer Bai. " Ajabde Baisa." Her words let out a silent gasp from the lesser queens who stood witness. Calm and composed, Ajabde walked up

Struggles and Tests

Kunwar Pratap ran to hug his mother. Jaivanta Bai smiled pleased looking at him. Sajja Bai had accompanied her here with the Bhattiyani queen and had reached out to her sister in Marwar for shelter with the princesses until the war ended. She refused to stay like a commoner at Samant’s house. “Majhli Maasa.” Kunwar Pratap touched her feet and got a hug in return. “ Where is Chotima?” “She went to Mehrangarh.” Jaivanta Bai replied. Dressed simply in a blue lehenga and silver jewellery she still looked elegant. The sound of Payal made everyone turn as Hansa smiled at her daughter. “This is Ajabde. My eldest.” Ajabde stepped forward to touch the queen’s feet while Kunwar Pratap stepped back carefully watching the scene with a smile. Jaivanta Bai cupped her face and noticed her son’s reaction in silence. “Ajabde show them the guest rooms.” After the refreshments, Hansa Bai instructed her while Kunwar Pratap left in a hurry followed by Balwant who now kind of worshipped him.

Chapter Four: Imprisoned

Abhaya was thrown into a room without windows and the doors were chained shut. It was dark and damp and the walls smelled of gathered dust. She could sense the chains being locked as she heard voices outside. She tried to get up but her bruised knees and weak body failed her. She stumbled on the cold stone floor to notice the mattress on one side and a pot of water on the other. What were they going to do to her? Was she the only one here? Where were her parents? In the Summer heat also she felt a shiver in her body. She briefly remembered her house up in flames, the bottles of kerosene being thrown at the open windows. Torches around the house, chanting slogans. The screams of the women. The last time she saw her elder brothers was when they picked up the pistols and canes from around the house. She realised her father was not home when she ran down the corridor towards the chaos, her heart on her throat. The loud sound of the car burning and the screams of her mother made her freeze.

Destiny

The war was almost won.  A few of Marwar’s soldiers were left on the field along with Rao Maldeo Singh Rathore, their king and leader.  He was thinking of retreating at the end of this day. As his sword clashed with one of the opponent generals as he eyed the opponent King now open and prone to attack. A little hope flickered in his mind as his eyes instructed his closest aide.  The opponent was quite in a winning situation thanks to their new Senapati. He was just 16 yet his bravery and valour reflected his blood and upbringing. He mesmerised the opponents and even Rao Maldeo with his clever war strategies and sword skills. As Maldeo’s aide swung his sword at a taken aback Udai Singh, someone’s sword defended it as his body acted like a shield for the king. He killed the man in one go. “ Ranaji are you okay?” “ Haan Raoji.” He nodded gratefully.  By half the day, the Marwar army had retreated as the air filled with “ Jai Mewar! Jai Eklingji!” From the triumphant soldiers. Rana Udai Si

Protectors

Rao Surtan was at the Palace gates as the soldiers tried in vain to attack with arrows. His army was stronger and more competent than the one Balwant headed at the Bijolia Fort Gates. “Break the door” he ordered. “Where is Ajabde?” Hansa looked around the cellar. “Jija!” Ratan exclaimed. “She was on the roof last I saw.” “Ajabde.” Hansa Bai opened the cellar door and stepped out followed by Ratan who was equally worried. “Stay back!” Sajja Bai called in vain as Jaivanta Bai too walked out and up the stairs to the corridors of the Ranimahal in search of Ajabde.  Meanwhile, Surtan’s army had entered the palace and he made his way to the Ranimahal. He was having different thoughts now. Killing Jaivanta Bai won't yield him anything… Maybe capturing a few young maidens… Ratan froze in the corridor seeing the man approach. Behind her were her mother and Jaivanta Bai with the same reaction. “ Jee Bavro ho gayo!” Surtan Singh took out his sword. Ratan took two ste

Friends?

Early morning, Ajabde walked into Saubhagyawati’s house as the Panditji looked relieved. “Baisa you are here now I don’t need to look after anything.” She walked into Saubhagyawati’s room and found her braiding her hair nervously. Her lehenga looked beautiful and only the maangtika was about to be put so Ajabde did the honours. Saubhagyawati held her hand and took a deep breath. “Ajabde have a confession.” “What is it Bhago?” She looked worried. “Are you scared?” “No no Ajabde it’s not that. I… met him… before…” “Whom?” “The one who is coming to see me.” She looked away scared. “What? How…” Ajabde looked at her with wide eyes. “woh… Both nights when I waited for you in the…” “Hai Bhagwan Bhago! What if he says that seeing you in front of your father?”  Ajabde spoke up as Bhago looked shocked. Why didn’t she think that before? “What will we do now?” Bhago asked worriedly. Ajabde was lost in thoughts. No way could people know. The groom had arrived with

Understandings

After counting days, Ajabde was happy that she was going to Bijolia. She knew how eager her mother and Ratan would be to know about her new life. She couldn't wait to hug her mother and feel like... Home. She was selecting gifts for her parents and her siblings as per Ranima's instructions. Then suddenly an idea struck her mind. Her new family welcomed her with so much love and support. Especially Ranima and Majhli Maa Sa. She wanted to give them something. Suddenly she remembered that Ranima had loved her embroidery work on dupattas back in Bijolia so she called a Dasi and ordered some plain Chunris and embroidery threads. She had a lot of work to finish in a day before leaving.   Kunwar Pratap came back into the room to see her on the floor, right in the middle of the room with red, green, yellow, and pink all sorts of dupattas scattered. " What's all this?" He asked not sure if he should be asking. " I am making gifts. For Ranima, Majhli ma, Rani Dheer Bai