Skip to main content

Protidaan: Chapter Twenty Eight

Ananta giving his school final exams was no less than the war of Kurukshetra at home. If I said that out loud, his Didi would give me her most disapproving glance. When Ananta started preparing for his examinations, he took up more of my time than Lata or Bibha did with his doubts. I was almost scared he was not going to make it through. He was the weakest of us all. But then there was Lata. If you came to our house during his examinations, especially during lunch or dinner, you would have found an annoyed version of me, waiting at the dinner table being ultimately served my food by Kanai, while Lata was in Ananta’s room, with the plate of food on her left hand, feeding him morsels with her right one, while Ananta studied. He was badly pampered by her and dared anyone tell his Didi that. Since Thamma was unwell, and Lata had to attend to her, all the time Ananta took was from my share of her time. Was I jealous? Maybe a bit. Perhaps more annoyed. Because Dada, Bibha or I did everything on our own, and never had what he had, from Lata. The motherly affection. When Dada and I gave our school final Ma was still here, yet she was too sick and occupied dividing her time among all of us to care for one of us especially. I remember my examinations, growing up. I used to touch Thamma, Baba and Ma’s feet then lastly Dada’s before running off nervously to school. Thamma would kiss my cheek, embarrassing me, Baba would gruffly ask what examination it was that day, Dada would suggest some dos and don’ts that he spoke of from experience and Ma would always inevitably stand by the main door, asking me if I took all my stationary and feeding me a spoonful of sweet curd, before blessing me. I stopped the ritual of taking curd altogether when she left. If I were superstitious I would have thought that would affect my results like Bibha did, but I wasn’t. Neither did I believe in miracles anymore nor superstitions, after she left.

On the day of Ananta’s first examination, Lata was probably more nervous than him. She forgot to give me my breakfast among other things. When I held her hand to make her stop fidgeting, they were stone cold. I was amused but dare I admit that? I reassured her that he would be fine and that all of our efforts would be fruitful in his results. She nodded and ran out to make sure Ananta had eaten before going, not even caring to ask me about my morning tea. The next time I saw them, Ananta was running about his room gathering his documents, stationery and things and struggling with his tie while Lata ran around behind him, plate in hand, stuffing morsels into his mouth as she reminded him of things he needed to take. He ran out, touching my feet almost like a feather as I blessed him, he had no time to hear instructions, late as he always was, Lata ran out of the kitchen behind him, feeding him a spoonful of curd before he ran out to the car and the driver ran behind him. I sighed, shaking my head, eyeing Lata on the porch saying soft prayers. The same scene followed the day after that and the one after that. Looking back perhaps both of us were admittingly more indulgent in spoiling Ananta than we did to our own children. There were times when my children complained when Ananta told them stories of his childhood and how their mother spoiled him. 

You, sitting in your living room, some fifty years later, must be wondering where is the romance in the story that I focus on Lata. Now let me be clear about something here. Back in our days, romance wasn’t much about going out to dinner and movies, giving flowers to express our love, or even talking explicitly about our feelings for that matter. The romance was subtle. Hidden in the layers of our responsibilities, care and understanding, romance was never about the need to express ourselves but to understand the unsaid and respect our differences between the layers of chores and responsibilities of being children, parents and grandparents; much like you would probably end up reading between the lines of my writing and analysing my character. So do the same for romance too, bring out the words non-existent in the rather monotonous narrative I have in life. You may even read much more into me than I ever was or ever will be. I won’t correct you. I would just lean back on my chair, watch you discuss my shortcomings like you know me, and my life and let it be. Much like that, romance in the Unsaid had its own charm. We didn’t often read each other right, but that never gave either of us any doubt about our love. Now, I won’t go into denial of what once Sarat Chandra or Rabindranath Tagore wrote about the indulgences in Porokriya, a very interesting layer in Bengali literature if I may say so, and I won’t claim that such things as extramarital affairs and attractions towards certain red light areas never happened in our days for it did hide under the wrinkles of the bed sheet or the curtains of Kothis never happened, I can just say neither of us, ever fell out of love or attracted to another person.

Our romance was limited, first to our nights confined in the bedroom of the old house in Punya then, perhaps more limited to our small place in Shantiniketan, especially when the children arrived. We Indians have a rather awkward relationship as partners in front of children. We often let our definition of being parents take over our partnership in its entirety. Life becomes about being someone’s mother and father, paying their school fees, looking after their need, and helping them through, till one fine day reality hits you that they are grown up, ready to leave the nest or even find a partner and you are stuck in that loop, where you forgot to be partners while being parents. Then, perhaps when you get old, lonely and finally free of parental duties, you start discovering each other all over again. Times change, your individuality changes and at times you find it difficult to be with the same person you were with for the last thirty-odd years. But that’s how life is. Our first fights used to be about Ananta’s studies much before we were together, our first marital fight was about how I never keep things in place. That was odd, coming from Lata. She had practically ruined my habit by picking up after me then all of a sudden Mrs Lata Bhattacharya hoped I would magically learn to be organised. Our old-age fights would perhaps interest you more. But I will keep that for later. What I gathered is it is always safe to accept your mistake, admit you are a fool even before they say it, murmur an apology and move on. I avoided most conflicts with her like that.

I remember things were not very different since childhood. Lata somehow always knew what upset me without me uttering a word of it. I always knew what hurt her, by one look at her face. Either her face was extremely expressive or I was extremely attentive. Either way, we never had a serious altercation, something I can’t give myself credit for.  It took me a rather long time to accept things were going smoothly at home without Ma. Unlike now, when I talk of how Lata handled the house, at such a tender age, so fondly, I was disturbed by the idea that she did. I was scared that Ananta would eventually forget his mother because Lata never let him miss her. I was afraid that someday Thamma would stop shedding tears when she mentioned her at every festival. Somehow I could never say my fear aloud to anyone. I wasn’t much of a sharer. It would sound silly coming from a twenty-year-old.  

It was Boudi’s Sadhpuron when Dada and Boudi arrived at Punnya for the festivities. I had my examination breaks and it was rather odd to be home for such an occasion where ladies flocked to the house, and you weren’t even invited, in your own home. Back then, such festivities were strictly restricted to women and children. Men were awkward among women and vice versa. So, although present in the house, I refrained from going out of my room for any kind of festivities where the ladies flocked to the hall room or courtyards. Ananta however being the youngest was part of everything. Let's just say he liked the attention. I had heard Thamma call Bibha, Boudi and Lata to her room early on the morning of the festivities but I made nothing out of it. The old lady was always in panic before such events. She wanted to be the perfect host. Especially when Boudi’s parents arrived, she wanted to make sure they got a taste of our Zamindari ways. 

A while later while I stocked my room with some books from the library for the day, Bibha walked into my room, gushing. 
“How do I look, Dada?” She made me look up at her. She was wearing a blue saree that looked familiar. My heart sank a little. It belonged to Ma. I had seen her wear it a million times. Suddenly I realised how similar she looked to Ma in that. She had even made her hair up in a bun like Ma did. Was it purposefully done? It made me a little uneasy. But she was in childlike glee wearing what belonged to Ma. Perhaps she felt closer to her in that way. She showed me her jewellery and eyed herself in the mirror of my room. So I faked a smile and a compliment to make her stop. She gushed about how Thamma gifted Boudi a saree that belonged to Ma. Then she, and Lata. I looked up with a little frown. Why was Thamma giving away my mother’s memories? It was okay that Bibha wore it. Why Boudi who would perhaps never value or wear it again? She hadn’t even seen Ma. And Lata? I was suddenly irked. She took over Ma’s roles in the house. Now her things too? Was she trying to be like Ma? Bibha, unaware of my chain of thoughts gushed about how she dressed Lata up.
“She was reluctant, you see… I forced her to wear some of my jewellery… where did she go? Oh, Lata? Why are you hiding?” She ran to the curtains at the threshold and dragged a reluctant Lata to me. I eyed her once. She looked rather awkward being dressed up by Bibha. All I could see was Ma’s saree. I had so many memories of her in it. I was suddenly upset. Whether it was because Thamma gave away Ma’s saree or because someone else was wearing it, I couldn’t tell. I always imagined Ma’s things smelled of her. Now they wouldn’t anymore. Perhaps my face gave it away. She looked up at me, lowered her eyes and consciously walked away as Bibha followed her out. 

Later in the day, Lata came by, serving me lunch in my room as Kanai helped her out. She didn’t glance at me, and I didn’t look up from my book.
“It will get cold.” She said at last, as I looked up from my book, at her. She wasn’t wearing Ma’s saree anymore. Perhaps this one belonged to her Kakima. Her hair was still done up in a bun like Bibha did it, and she still wore the jewellery Bibha had forced her to. Lata looked away as she placed the dish and bowls in order and stepped back. I kept my book aside and went to sit down for the meal. She saw me taking a morsel as she nodded at Kanai and walked away. 
Later that night, before dinner, as I was making notes I sensed her walk into my room. She took the books I had stacked up on my bed after I had finished reading them and turned to me.
“I am taking these back to the library.” She made me nod without looking. I eyed her still hovering around the room. So, clearing my throat I managed to ask,
“What happened to Ma’s saree?” I asked her a little curiously.
“Huh?” She looked up at me.
“Why are you not wearing it anymore?” I asked, half turning towards her while still sitting on my chair. Her face flushed a little.
“Because … I have so much work around the house, I didn’t want to spoil the saree.” She looked away. “I just wore it because Thamma insisted and I had no heart to refuse her.” She looked away. I was still observing her face, and her eyes seemed to sparkle a little. She looked grim as I narrowed my brows and looked away. 
“Keep the saree safe, it’s one of Ma’s favourites.” I reminded her.
“I will give it back to Didi.” She fumbled as she started walking away towards the threshold. She clearly knew what I thought. I needed to do some damage control. In my own possessiveness of Ma’s things, I forgot about Lata’s feelings. Her bond with my mother meant as much to her as her own parents if not more. She was hurt.
“No. Keep it, Ma would have liked that.” I managed as she stopped briefly at the threshold.
She didn’t say a word after that, nor did I see her wear Ma’s saree again. At least till the first Ranna Pujo after marriage.

I was checking some property papers when she hurried into the room, the keys dangling from the end of her knotted anchol making more noise than her anklets as she hurried to open the wardrobe and looked irked. I eyed her from the corner of my eyes as she scanned through her racks.
“What are you looking for?” I asked at last as she smiled sheepishly.
“Thamma wants me to dress up before people come. Some of the ladies will arrive early.” It was Boudi’s second Sadh Puron and Lata had insisted on taking up the task of playing host. I nodded indifferently. She was still indecisive. Lata was not a person much interested in dressing up, but especially since marriage, Thamma insisted she wore jewellery befitting of our heritage, and somehow she still struggled to adapt to that in her own simple ways. I walked up to watch her scanning through the heaps of new sarees, indecisively. My eyes fell on one of the sarees on the rack, so I took it out and handed it to her. Her eyes stopped as she looked up at me. It was the same orange saree that belonged to Ma. I was aware of that.
“This is… Ma’s.” She frowned at me. I nodded. “You want me to wear it?” Her eyebrows were raised in surprise as her voice had a hint of taunt. I smiled faintly, cornering her between myself and the wardrobe. Her face flushed a little, as she realised she had taunted me very naturally. She fumbled as I enjoyed the reaction. That day when she changed into Ma’s saree, all I could see was my Lata looking gracefully beautiful. I had learnt to let go of the past and embrace the present with her.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Everything

Kunwar Pratap stormed into the Mahal at Gogunda. Happy faces of the chieftains and soldiers welcomed him as Rao Ramrakh and Rawatji stopped the ongoing Raj tilak. A visibly scared Kunwar Jagmal looked clueless at a visibly angry Kunwar Pratap. Rani Dheerbai Bhattiyani hadn't expected this son of Mewar to show up that too twenty-one days after his father's death. He was not informed as per Dheerbai's instructions. She looked at Rawat Ji. He must have gone to Raoji at Bijolia. No one except them knew where Kunwar Pratap was staying. It was for the safety of his family. " What are you doing Chotima?" A disappointed voice came. She could stoop down so low? " We were about to inform you..." She spoke up in her defence. " When Dheerbai ji?" Maharani Jaivanta Bai, clad in white entered the hall as people bowed before her. " After your son's coronation?" " I did nothing Badima I swear!" A low voice came from Jagmal. " Maha

His Wife

" Where is the Kesar, Rama? And the Kalash?" Ajabde looked visibly displeased at the daasi who ran. " They are at the fort gates and nothing is ready yet!" She exclaimed. She was clad in a red Jora and the jewellery she had inherited as the first Kunwarani of the crown prince. Little Amar ran down the hallway towards his mother. " Maa sa Maa sa... who is coming with Daajiraj?" His innocent question made her heart sink. " Bhanwar Ji." Sajja Bai called out to him. " Come here I will tell you." Amar rushed to his Majhli Dadisa. " Ajabde." She turned at Jaivanta Bai's call. "They are here." " M... My Aarti thali..." Ajabde looked lost like never before. Jaivanta Bai held her stone-cold hands, making her stop. She patted her head and gave her a hug. The hug gave her the comfort she was looking for as her racing heart calmed down. Jaivanta Bai left her alone with her thaal. " Maa sa!" Amar exclaimed

Chapter Three: Pedigree

  The Imperial Police work was a tough job. The family had no idea what Superintendent Animesh Kumar Mukhopadhyay went through to provide for his family and their luxurious lives. Abhaya’s father never failed to let his family know that. Every time he drank down his sins. Every time he came home drunk. Every time he beat his wife. Abhaya would often sit awake all night, her pillow pressed against her ears as she sobbed silently, hoping that her mother’s begging sobs and father’s lewd language would stop. One day she had opened the door of her room slightly and was about to step out when her sister-in-law intervened. Her face was dark as she coldly told Abhaya to return to her room. She would be punished if her elder brothers found out about her trying to get out of her chambers at night. Abhaya at twelve knew one truth greater than others. Men were like this, women had to tiptoe around them to serve them as they demanded.  She was intimidated by the regular chores the women of the hous

To Protect You

Kunwar Pratap was in court with Rana Udai Singh. The Mughals were conquering a huge part of the north courtesy of Bairam Khan and Mewar on their routes to the ports of Gujarat. " Dajiraj we need to secure the roads leading to Agra and also towards the west. The attack-prone areas should always be under surveillance." " Yes Ranaji. Baojiraj is right." Rawatji agreed.   In the Rani Mahal, everyone was preparing for a grand lunch. Ajabde was making a sweet dish for the princes and princesses and in a hurry, she forgot to add the Kesar and Badam on top. As she served the smaller princes including Kunwar Jagmal, Dheerbai came to inspect her eldest son's food. " What is this? Who made this? Kokoiaji?" She stormed to the kitchen with a bowl of sweet dishes.   " Kunwaranisa did." Came a scary answer, from Veer Bai. " Ajabde Baisa." Her words let out a silent gasp from the lesser queens who stood witness. Calm and composed, Ajabde walked up

Struggles and Tests

Kunwar Pratap ran to hug his mother. Jaivanta Bai smiled pleased looking at him. Sajja Bai had accompanied her here with the Bhattiyani queen and had reached out to her sister in Marwar for shelter with the princesses until the war ended. She refused to stay like a commoner at Samant’s house. “Majhli Maasa.” Kunwar Pratap touched her feet and got a hug in return. “ Where is Chotima?” “She went to Mehrangarh.” Jaivanta Bai replied. Dressed simply in a blue lehenga and silver jewellery she still looked elegant. The sound of Payal made everyone turn as Hansa smiled at her daughter. “This is Ajabde. My eldest.” Ajabde stepped forward to touch the queen’s feet while Kunwar Pratap stepped back carefully watching the scene with a smile. Jaivanta Bai cupped her face and noticed her son’s reaction in silence. “Ajabde show them the guest rooms.” After the refreshments, Hansa Bai instructed her while Kunwar Pratap left in a hurry followed by Balwant who now kind of worshipped him.

Chapter Four: Imprisoned

Abhaya was thrown into a room without windows and the doors were chained shut. It was dark and damp and the walls smelled of gathered dust. She could sense the chains being locked as she heard voices outside. She tried to get up but her bruised knees and weak body failed her. She stumbled on the cold stone floor to notice the mattress on one side and a pot of water on the other. What were they going to do to her? Was she the only one here? Where were her parents? In the Summer heat also she felt a shiver in her body. She briefly remembered her house up in flames, the bottles of kerosene being thrown at the open windows. Torches around the house, chanting slogans. The screams of the women. The last time she saw her elder brothers was when they picked up the pistols and canes from around the house. She realised her father was not home when she ran down the corridor towards the chaos, her heart on her throat. The loud sound of the car burning and the screams of her mother made her freeze.

Protectors

Rao Surtan was at the Palace gates as the soldiers tried in vain to attack with arrows. His army was stronger and more competent than the one Balwant headed at the Bijolia Fort Gates. “Break the door” he ordered. “Where is Ajabde?” Hansa looked around the cellar. “Jija!” Ratan exclaimed. “She was on the roof last I saw.” “Ajabde.” Hansa Bai opened the cellar door and stepped out followed by Ratan who was equally worried. “Stay back!” Sajja Bai called in vain as Jaivanta Bai too walked out and up the stairs to the corridors of the Ranimahal in search of Ajabde.  Meanwhile, Surtan’s army had entered the palace and he made his way to the Ranimahal. He was having different thoughts now. Killing Jaivanta Bai won't yield him anything… Maybe capturing a few young maidens… Ratan froze in the corridor seeing the man approach. Behind her were her mother and Jaivanta Bai with the same reaction. “ Jee Bavro ho gayo!” Surtan Singh took out his sword. Ratan took two ste

Friends?

Early morning, Ajabde walked into Saubhagyawati’s house as the Panditji looked relieved. “Baisa you are here now I don’t need to look after anything.” She walked into Saubhagyawati’s room and found her braiding her hair nervously. Her lehenga looked beautiful and only the maangtika was about to be put so Ajabde did the honours. Saubhagyawati held her hand and took a deep breath. “Ajabde have a confession.” “What is it Bhago?” She looked worried. “Are you scared?” “No no Ajabde it’s not that. I… met him… before…” “Whom?” “The one who is coming to see me.” She looked away scared. “What? How…” Ajabde looked at her with wide eyes. “woh… Both nights when I waited for you in the…” “Hai Bhagwan Bhago! What if he says that seeing you in front of your father?”  Ajabde spoke up as Bhago looked shocked. Why didn’t she think that before? “What will we do now?” Bhago asked worriedly. Ajabde was lost in thoughts. No way could people know. The groom had arrived with

Understandings

After counting days, Ajabde was happy that she was going to Bijolia. She knew how eager her mother and Ratan would be to know about her new life. She couldn't wait to hug her mother and feel like... Home. She was selecting gifts for her parents and her siblings as per Ranima's instructions. Then suddenly an idea struck her mind. Her new family welcomed her with so much love and support. Especially Ranima and Majhli Maa Sa. She wanted to give them something. Suddenly she remembered that Ranima had loved her embroidery work on dupattas back in Bijolia so she called a Dasi and ordered some plain Chunris and embroidery threads. She had a lot of work to finish in a day before leaving.   Kunwar Pratap came back into the room to see her on the floor, right in the middle of the room with red, green, yellow, and pink all sorts of dupattas scattered. " What's all this?" He asked not sure if he should be asking. " I am making gifts. For Ranima, Majhli ma, Rani Dheer Bai

Destiny

The war was almost won.  A few of Marwar’s soldiers were left on the field along with Rao Maldeo Singh Rathore, their king and leader.  He was thinking of retreating at the end of this day. As his sword clashed with one of the opponent generals as he eyed the opponent King now open and prone to attack. A little hope flickered in his mind as his eyes instructed his closest aide.  The opponent was quite in a winning situation thanks to their new Senapati. He was just 16 yet his bravery and valour reflected his blood and upbringing. He mesmerised the opponents and even Rao Maldeo with his clever war strategies and sword skills. As Maldeo’s aide swung his sword at a taken aback Udai Singh, someone’s sword defended it as his body acted like a shield for the king. He killed the man in one go. “ Ranaji are you okay?” “ Haan Raoji.” He nodded gratefully.  By half the day, the Marwar army had retreated as the air filled with “ Jai Mewar! Jai Eklingji!” From the triumphant soldiers. Rana Udai Si