Skip to main content

Preparation


Jo khwab tera, woh khwab mera bana.


A surprised Asha entered with a smile finding Bondita in the kitchen,

"What are you doing here?" She asked. "Do you need anything?"

"Just making coffee." Bondita smiled. 

"I could have…" she offered. 

"No, it's just coffee." She shrugged. "Will take a few minutes."

"But your examination is next week. Dadabhai won't like it if he sees you here." Asha reminded her.

"Asha, you could have thought about it." Bondita said, "It would have been nice if we could give the examination together." 

Ashapurna's smile vanished. She got up to leave the kitchen and stopped spotting Aniruddha at the threshold.

"What are you doing in the kitchen?" He exclaimed at Bondita "Aren't you supposed to only study? Your permission was for five days." He shook his head.

"I am just making coffee." Bondita glanced over her shoulder.

"I told her I will make it," Asha added.

"I didn't even ask for coffee." He frowned.

"Well, you didn't." Bondita nodded, taking the hot cuppa and walking out. Aniruddha followed her through the corridor, perplexed.

"Who else drinks coffee?" He asked. She didn't respond.

"When did you start drinking coffee?" He asked as she put the cup down on the study table. 

"I don't." She nodded. "Aren't you late for something?" She asked, checking the time, and pulling out her chair. 

"I was just about to leave." He looked away. "But just so you know coffee is not good for your…"

"I just keep it here, as the smell makes me concentrate better. Since you teach me while drinking a cuppa I am used to the habit." Bondita didn't look up from her book as she said that Aniruddha suddenly stopped, aware, and flushed.

"I...err…Study…" He walked away with a smile on his face. 


The phone rang when Bondita went downstairs to eat her lunch, and Bihari Babu picked it up to call on Aniruddha. He came to get the receiver as Bondita served Paan from a silver box to Trilochan before going back to her studies. 

"Mini. How can I help you?" Bondita's hands stopped as her eyes travelled to Aniruddha's smiling face. He looked so happy as he nodded. 

"Okay, if I start now, I will be there in a few hours and can come back a bit late. No problem. I will see you." He nodded "Thank you so much."

He dropped the receiver and looked across at Bondita who appeared busy with the paan box. 

"I better get going." She told Trilochan who was eyeing Aniruddha now. 

"Where are you going?" Trilochan asked Aniruddha as soon as Bondita left.

"Mini called. She will take me to the…" Trilochan got up from his seat, making him stop as he walked up to him with a hint of displeasure in his voice. 

"Aniruddha. You are married now. You should stop going to meet other women." He made Aniruddha frown.

"Huh?" He shook his head. "Jetha Moshai… Mini…"

"Yes, I know. She has been your friend for a long time. But think about Bondita. What will she think, especially when she is aware of how keen Binoy was on your matchmaking with Saudamini?" Trilochan shook his head. Aniruddha let out a laugh.

"You think this is funny?" Trilochan snapped.

"No Jetha Moshai. I think Bondita is not like that."

"She is your wife and…"

"I am going to Calcutta for her. I can't tell you the details now, I am running late, but I am meeting someone Mini knows for Bondita's education."

"What?" Trilochan frowned. "You already filled in the Matriculation form…" his eyes widened "No no no Aniruddha. Are you thinking of sending her to college? Aniruddha?"

"I am running late. I will be coming home late. Don't wait up." He ran to the car as Trilochan sighed.


Bondita paced the room with a book in her hand. Her thoughts were wandering. She twirled the end of her braid with her painted fingertips. He looked so happy. He just dropped the phone and ran. What was so important was that he had to go like that. Bondita frowned. He didn't even say goodbye. She checked her homework. Restless, she sat down on the chair and concentrated back on her lessons. Then her thoughts wandered again. Why did she feel something was amiss with Ashapurna? Every time she talked about education Ashapurna avoided the topic. She could speak to Barrister Babu about it. But then she needed to find out what was wrong. 

"Maa Dugga. Where is my concentration today?" She patted her head and looked back into her book. "I have to get good marks in the mock tests today."


It was dusk when she had gone downstairs to pray. Bondita was well aware that Aniruddha would return late. So stealing a few moments to herself was not an issue. She sat down, hands folded, in front of Maa Durga still restless. She had never felt this way before and a lot of things shrouded her mind. She was jolted from her thoughts when she heard footsteps near the Khirki door. She frowned. Nobody came in and out of that. She looked back at the corridor engulfed in darkness and gathered her courage to run towards it. 

"Who is there?" She called out. "Who is…"

She felt a tug on her arm and looked alarmed as Sampoorna pulled her aside. 


"Hush. Bondita." She sounded scared.

"Didi. What …Who was that?" She frowned. 

"Come with me, I will tell you." She took Bondita by her hand and into the small room she had been allotted on the ground floor of the house.

"Bondita. There is something you should know."

She nodded. 

"The revolutionary group led by Mahesh Da has been exposed." Sampoorna shook her head.

"What?" Bondita looked shocked "How?"

"The Angrez police raided their old meeting spot in the ruins of the temple. They caught two of them."

"Oh no. Then?" Bondita asked.

"I have given Mahesh da the key to the hut. I know I should have asked you first but he was injured and I found it safe that he stayed there. Everyone knows the hut belongs to me, so nobody will look there or inside the Roy Chowdhury premises." 

"Is he alright?" Bondita got up. "I should go check on him." Sampoorna stopped her.

"No. Don't." She looked alarmed. "Your going there will grab the attention of the servant quarters." Bondita nodded. 

"Some of the men have gone to Calcutta." Sampoorna said, "They are thinking of meeting Sarat Chandra Bose and asking for advice." 

"Subhash Bose's elder brother?" Bondita asked as Sampoorna nodded. 

"Their connection to Calcutta had been stirred due to the raid. It needs to be re-established. By then Mahesh da will heal. Then they will decide on something."

"Didi. If you need any help, let me know." Bondita said, "I know I will leave for Calcutta next week but anything before that…"

"I need ration as of now. The men are hiding in different places and it's risky for them to venture out and find food. If anyone spots them in the village…" Sampoorna spoke without a second thought.


Bondita was about to take the key to the ration store room out from her bunch when she remembered she had promised Trilochan not to hand over the keys to anyone.

"Didi. Come with me." She said, holding the keys back. "I will not be here for a few days of the examination but take as much ration as you need."

"Bondita." Sampoorna looked unsure "This is the Roy Chowdhury ration. It's accounted for. If this goes missing..."

"Don't worry." Bondita reassured her "I will take care of that with Munshi Babu." Sampoorna nodded. Bondita waited at the threshold of the open granary with anticipation as Sampoorna led a few men there to take ration for the coming few weeks.


"We don't know how to thank you." One of the men spoke, "You can land yourself in trouble for this but…"

"It's never enough compared to what you do for our motherland, Dada." Bondita smiled. While returning from the granary carefully hiding their faces in their saree, she held Sampoorna's hand and asked in a worried tone "Didi. Are you okay?"

"Yes, Bondita. Days have passed since Nikhil Babu went back to Calcutta. I know the villagers still blame me for everything. But your Jamai Babu always used to say, you have to tolerate a lot if you choose the unconventional way. Be brave."

"He said that to me too." Bondita nodded. "Didi, can I ask you something personal?" Sampoorna nodded as they reached the room. "Why did you never have kids?"

Sampoorna looked up at her face at her words. "I don't mean to …"

"No Bondita. It's okay. We tried. We even went to Kabiraj. The problem was not mine." She smiled faintly. "Your Jamai babu used to say we will move to Calcutta someday and adopt a child." She sighed. "I often wonder if my parents or in-laws could have discarded me this way had there been a child involved." Bondita placed her hand gently over Sampoorna's hand. 

"I didn't mean to hurt you, Didi."

"You didn't." Sampoorna smiled. "Now all the children who come to the school call me Mashi and look. I am a mother already." Bondita nodded. 

"When is your examination?" She asked.

"Oh, it's next week. We have to go two days before and settle down. There are three days of examination after that. We will be back the next day." She smiled. 

"Please don't tell anyone about this yet." Sampoorna looked unsure. "Not even Aniruddha babu. He will stop me from helping the revolutionaries because it will risk my life." Sampoorna spoke as Bondita nodded.

"Didn't you ever feel scared Didi?" 

"I did in the beginning. Now I realised something. I have nothing to look forward to in life. No family or purpose. Let this life and blood be useful once. Even if it's for the motherland." She smiled faintly. Bondita felt sudden goosebumps. 

"I would like to help too. As much as I can. I also want to see a sunrise in British-free India."

"We will soon." Sampoorna smiled. "You will see. Gandhiji is trying so hard to assemble everyone under one purpose."

"Barrister Babu told me Calcutta is really up in arms against the government." Bondita said, "There is unrest everywhere."

"Yes indeed. In fact, the unrest didn't really stop after they partitioned Bengal." Sampoorna spoke. "Your Jamai Babu spoke of that often.

"I am eager and excited to be in Calcutta but scared too." Bondita confessed, "It's such a big city."

"But you won't be alone. Your Barrister Babu will be there with you." Sampoorna reassured with a teasing smile. "Just concentrate on your studies."


"I can't tell you how grateful I am for this Mini '' Aniruddha said as they got on a hand-pulled rickshaw. "This is a new kind of motivation to what I dream for Bondita."

"I am glad I could help you, Aniruddha. By the way, Baba told me you will be staying for her examinations." Saudamini spoke, adjusting the convertible flap over their heads.

"No. I actually wanted to inform you that I have already booked a hotel room."

"Hotel?" Saudamini looked displeased " Why don't you stay with us? We have plenty of rooms." She suddenly stopped "Will Bondita not like staying over?"

"It's not like that. I just wanted to give her a memorable experience in Calcutta. If she gets this scholarship she can enrol in any college she likes and can also be away from home." His voice suddenly sounded melancholic.

"But wherever she goes, you will follow." Saudamini smiled in a teasing tone. Aniruddha looked up at her words and smiled slightly. He didn't want to deny it. Her dreams were his now.


Late in the evening, Bondita had finished her homework as Koeli entered her room to give her milk.

"Has Barrister Babu come home?" She asked. Koeli nodded. "Yes, Choto Malkin, he is in the study room, he asked about you the moment he entered but your door was closed so Bihari told him you must be studying." Bondita nodded. She took the homework she had done the entire day and headed for the study room.

"Your head isn't in the right place Asha. You fell for her words." Somnath's voice made her stop in the corridor. He seemed angry. "We have discussed this before."

"You are getting me wrong. I just asked you… what if…why can't I..."

"You are a married woman, whose duty is to be my wife. Do you understand you have a responsibility towards this house and me? Do you want to give all that up like her and study? What will you do studying? Dada can have these weird ambitions for Bondita. I don't. I told you before the marriage that I want a wife who will stay home, take care of my children and be happy with the saree jewellery I bring her. She will be the daughter-in-law of Roy Chowdhury like my mother was." Somnath paced the room.

"I know. Please don't shout, someone's going to hear you." Asha pleaded.

"Let them." Somnath fumed "Do you think I am scared to say aloud what I think? Not only me. Even Baba thinks her education is unnecessary."

"But she is doing all that we expect of her here and getting educated too. Why can't I continue my old lessons?"

"Really Ashapurna?" Somnath gave a sarcastic laugh. "You think she is?" Bondita's throat dried at his tone.

"I adore her like a younger sister but that doesn't blind me from reality like you. And the reality is she is nowhere close to what a wife is like to Dada. Look at them, staying in separate rooms. Always studying. Do they even have a real relationship like one is supposed to have?" He lowered his voice "Dada can't be her teacher all his life. Sooner or later, he will need a partner."

Somnath made Ashapurna look scared. "Do you want me to stray away from our relationship because of your unnecessary will to study?" He scared her.

"No. Of course not. I want to be your wife. That's all I want. I am sorry I even brought this up." Bondita gulped at Asha's words. 


Aniruddha found her rather unmindful and preoccupied as she placed the books down in front of him. The study was silent. Her usual eager queries were missing. He cleared his throat twice. It was of no use. He began to check the copies. 

"So…" he cleared his throat again. "I arranged everything at Calcutta." He stopped as she was still unmindful.

"Bondita?" He tapped on the table making her look up at him.

"I said I made all the arrangements at Calcutta and got our train tickets. Start packing." She nodded in silence.

"You didn't ask if I got you roshogolla?" He raised his eyebrows. She faked a smile.

"Did you?"

"Yes, but you get them only if you score more than ninety on today's test." He smiled. She took the blank pages and sat preparing for the test.

"But you didn't ask me where I went?"

She looked up and said rather plainly "To meet Pari Didi." She looked away "How is she?"

"She is fine." He shook his head "She took me to meet a professor today." He said walking over to her side of the table and standing beside her chair. "He said if you score well, he can recommend you for a prestigious government scholarship." He smiled pleasantly, "You know what that means, right?" His eyes sparkled in hope. "You can enrol at any college you like, anywhere in the country."

"But why should we take money from them?" Bondita frowned looking up at his taken-aback face. "You only tell me that they looted us."

"They do. They exploit us. So it's important to claim back all that is ours." He nodded proudly at her.."You see most of the students recommended for these scholarships are either non-Indian or highly privileged. Very rarely, did someone who had not had the luxury of Convent schooling or a good school has got this. So it's more important that you get it and set an example with your merit. You will be the first homeschooler to get it then." She looked up at his face "and that will be the best way to claim back what is ours, just in a different way, using your strengths." He said, "Do you understand?" She nodded.

"I also got our tickets and a hotel booking."

"Hotel?" She frowned at his words. "But Baba told us to stay at the Bhowmick…"

"I know what Baba said. Staying at other people's houses will only distract you. So a hotel is the best option. After all, it's just five days. Besides, you are going to Calcutta for the first time. The Great Eastern will be an experience for you."

"Isn't it expensive?" She asked unsurely. 

"You don't need to worry about that. Start writing the test." She nodded. He waited for her to finish it before handing her over a bowl of roshogolla. He saw her eyes miss the spark. She didn't inquire further about the hotel or her Pari Didi.


"Bondita. What is bothering you?" He asked with a frown. "I…" Ashapurna? No, she couldn't talk of that. Sampoorna didi? No, she promised not to tell him. Pari Didi? She looked up at his questioning face. "I am just tensed about the examination I guess."

"Bondita." He pulled his chair to her side and took her hand in his. Bondita looked up at his gesture. "You are very well prepared. Just relax. I know you will do well. And moreover, it's the journey which matters too. I am proud of yours." He smiled. "You should be too." She nodded.

"Anything else on your mind?" He asked.

"No. She lied. He knew something was amiss but decided not to ask further and resumed checking the copy. Bondita eyed the Rosogollas. Nothing is solved by an empty stomach or refusing rosogollas. She took the bowl. Through the corner of his eyes, he could see her savouring the Rosogollas. He smiled relieved in his own thoughts.




READ ALL CHAPTERS


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

His Wife

" Where is the Kesar, Rama? And the Kalash?" Ajabde looked visibly displeased at the daasi who ran. " They are at the fort gates and nothing is ready yet!" She exclaimed. She was clad in a red Jora and the jewellery she had inherited as the first Kunwarani of the crown prince. Little Amar ran down the hallway towards his mother. " Maa sa Maa sa... who is coming with Daajiraj?" His innocent question made her heart sink. " Bhanwar Ji." Sajja Bai called out to him. " Come here I will tell you." Amar rushed to his Majhli Dadisa. " Ajabde." She turned at Jaivanta Bai's call. "They are here." " M... My Aarti thali..." Ajabde looked lost like never before. Jaivanta Bai held her stone-cold hands, making her stop. She patted her head and gave her a hug. The hug gave her the comfort she was looking for as her racing heart calmed down. Jaivanta Bai left her alone with her thaal. " Maa sa!" Amar exclaimed

My Everything

Kunwar Pratap stormed into the Mahal at Gogunda. Happy faces of the chieftains and soldiers welcomed him as Rao Ramrakh and Rawatji stopped the ongoing Raj tilak. A visibly scared Kunwar Jagmal looked clueless at a visibly angry Kunwar Pratap. Rani Dheerbai Bhattiyani hadn't expected this son of Mewar to show up that too twenty-one days after his father's death. He was not informed as per Dheerbai's instructions. She looked at Rawat Ji. He must have gone to Raoji at Bijolia. No one except them knew where Kunwar Pratap was staying. It was for the safety of his family. " What are you doing Chotima?" A disappointed voice came. She could stoop down so low? " We were about to inform you..." She spoke up in her defence. " When Dheerbai ji?" Maharani Jaivanta Bai, clad in white entered the hall as people bowed before her. " After your son's coronation?" " I did nothing Badima I swear!" A low voice came from Jagmal. " Maha

To Protect You

Kunwar Pratap was in court with Rana Udai Singh. The Mughals were conquering a huge part of the north courtesy of Bairam Khan and Mewar on their routes to the ports of Gujarat. " Dajiraj we need to secure the roads leading to Agra and also towards the west. The attack-prone areas should always be under surveillance." " Yes Ranaji. Baojiraj is right." Rawatji agreed.   In the Rani Mahal, everyone was preparing for a grand lunch. Ajabde was making a sweet dish for the princes and princesses and in a hurry, she forgot to add the Kesar and Badam on top. As she served the smaller princes including Kunwar Jagmal, Dheerbai came to inspect her eldest son's food. " What is this? Who made this? Kokoiaji?" She stormed to the kitchen with a bowl of sweet dishes.   " Kunwaranisa did." Came a scary answer, from Veer Bai. " Ajabde Baisa." Her words let out a silent gasp from the lesser queens who stood witness. Calm and composed, Ajabde walked up

Chapter Three: Pedigree

  The Imperial Police work was a tough job. The family had no idea what Superintendent Animesh Kumar Mukhopadhyay went through to provide for his family and their luxurious lives. Abhaya’s father never failed to let his family know that. Every time he drank down his sins. Every time he came home drunk. Every time he beat his wife. Abhaya would often sit awake all night, her pillow pressed against her ears as she sobbed silently, hoping that her mother’s begging sobs and father’s lewd language would stop. One day she had opened the door of her room slightly and was about to step out when her sister-in-law intervened. Her face was dark as she coldly told Abhaya to return to her room. She would be punished if her elder brothers found out about her trying to get out of her chambers at night. Abhaya at twelve knew one truth greater than others. Men were like this, women had to tiptoe around them to serve them as they demanded.  She was intimidated by the regular chores the women of the hous

Understandings

After counting days, Ajabde was happy that she was going to Bijolia. She knew how eager her mother and Ratan would be to know about her new life. She couldn't wait to hug her mother and feel like... Home. She was selecting gifts for her parents and her siblings as per Ranima's instructions. Then suddenly an idea struck her mind. Her new family welcomed her with so much love and support. Especially Ranima and Majhli Maa Sa. She wanted to give them something. Suddenly she remembered that Ranima had loved her embroidery work on dupattas back in Bijolia so she called a Dasi and ordered some plain Chunris and embroidery threads. She had a lot of work to finish in a day before leaving.   Kunwar Pratap came back into the room to see her on the floor, right in the middle of the room with red, green, yellow, and pink all sorts of dupattas scattered. " What's all this?" He asked not sure if he should be asking. " I am making gifts. For Ranima, Majhli ma, Rani Dheer Bai

Chapter Four: Imprisoned

Abhaya was thrown into a room without windows and the doors were chained shut. It was dark and damp and the walls smelled of gathered dust. She could sense the chains being locked as she heard voices outside. She tried to get up but her bruised knees and weak body failed her. She stumbled on the cold stone floor to notice the mattress on one side and a pot of water on the other. What were they going to do to her? Was she the only one here? Where were her parents? In the Summer heat also she felt a shiver in her body. She briefly remembered her house up in flames, the bottles of kerosene being thrown at the open windows. Torches around the house, chanting slogans. The screams of the women. The last time she saw her elder brothers was when they picked up the pistols and canes from around the house. She realised her father was not home when she ran down the corridor towards the chaos, her heart on her throat. The loud sound of the car burning and the screams of her mother made her freeze.

Friends?

Early morning, Ajabde walked into Saubhagyawati’s house as the Panditji looked relieved. “Baisa you are here now I don’t need to look after anything.” She walked into Saubhagyawati’s room and found her braiding her hair nervously. Her lehenga looked beautiful and only the maangtika was about to be put so Ajabde did the honours. Saubhagyawati held her hand and took a deep breath. “Ajabde have a confession.” “What is it Bhago?” She looked worried. “Are you scared?” “No no Ajabde it’s not that. I… met him… before…” “Whom?” “The one who is coming to see me.” She looked away scared. “What? How…” Ajabde looked at her with wide eyes. “woh… Both nights when I waited for you in the…” “Hai Bhagwan Bhago! What if he says that seeing you in front of your father?”  Ajabde spoke up as Bhago looked shocked. Why didn’t she think that before? “What will we do now?” Bhago asked worriedly. Ajabde was lost in thoughts. No way could people know. The groom had arrived with

Destiny

The war was almost won.  A few of Marwar’s soldiers were left on the field along with Rao Maldeo Singh Rathore, their king and leader.  He was thinking of retreating at the end of this day. As his sword clashed with one of the opponent generals as he eyed the opponent King now open and prone to attack. A little hope flickered in his mind as his eyes instructed his closest aide.  The opponent was quite in a winning situation thanks to their new Senapati. He was just 16 yet his bravery and valour reflected his blood and upbringing. He mesmerised the opponents and even Rao Maldeo with his clever war strategies and sword skills. As Maldeo’s aide swung his sword at a taken aback Udai Singh, someone’s sword defended it as his body acted like a shield for the king. He killed the man in one go. “ Ranaji are you okay?” “ Haan Raoji.” He nodded gratefully.  By half the day, the Marwar army had retreated as the air filled with “ Jai Mewar! Jai Eklingji!” From the triumphant soldiers. Rana Udai Si

Struggles and Tests

Kunwar Pratap ran to hug his mother. Jaivanta Bai smiled pleased looking at him. Sajja Bai had accompanied her here with the Bhattiyani queen and had reached out to her sister in Marwar for shelter with the princesses until the war ended. She refused to stay like a commoner at Samant’s house. “Majhli Maasa.” Kunwar Pratap touched her feet and got a hug in return. “ Where is Chotima?” “She went to Mehrangarh.” Jaivanta Bai replied. Dressed simply in a blue lehenga and silver jewellery she still looked elegant. The sound of Payal made everyone turn as Hansa smiled at her daughter. “This is Ajabde. My eldest.” Ajabde stepped forward to touch the queen’s feet while Kunwar Pratap stepped back carefully watching the scene with a smile. Jaivanta Bai cupped her face and noticed her son’s reaction in silence. “Ajabde show them the guest rooms.” After the refreshments, Hansa Bai instructed her while Kunwar Pratap left in a hurry followed by Balwant who now kind of worshipped him.

Towards You

Kunwar Pratap and Ajabde were friends. He didn't feel awkward sharing his plans and thoughts with her anymore. She was more than happy to advise him on everything. She was happy he listened to her advice before taking or discarding them, be it on what to wear to Padmavati's Sagai or how to befriend the revolting Bhils. He loved the way Ajabde always used metaphors from Puranas and Ramayanas to explain the toughest things so easily. She expressed herself so well, so easily that it amazed him.   The Afghans were now led by Mehmood Shah. They have made secret territories in the forests and waited to attack. Rawatji and his spies had confirmed the news and Udai Singh had warned Mehmood Shah to withdraw his troops from Mewar in vain. Now, it was time they declared war. Mehmood Shah had limited resources in Mewar. And his spies clearly suggested that in no way could he win, especially with Kunwar Pratap leading his troops. He was having second thoughts about the war. One of his aides