Skip to main content

Soul Meet : Incidental encounter



The first time I saw him was on the bus I took once every week. I was in the nineth standard and took extra classes for Maths because finding X was really a lot of problems. And on my first day of class, I managed to catch the 4.55PM bus. The only empty seat was beside this boy whose uniform was unfamiliar to me. What grabbed my immediate attention was the book he was reading; “Doctors” by Eric Segal. It was my favourite. He noticed me staring at the book cover absent-minded once or twice while I pretended to look away and he cleared his throat and resumed reading. For the whole thirty minutes of the journey, I was gathering the courage to ask him his favourite part but failed at it. I cursed myself for being the introvert that I am, grabbed my bag and walked to the door. Turning back one last time, I could see he was engrossed in reading. Every time I boarded that bus he seemed to be in the same seat, in the same school uniform, either listening to music on his headphones or reading a book. He barely looked up and I thanked God for it. Because if he did he could have judged me for staring at his books for too long as I stood or sat a few feet away. I never got the seat beside his. We never talked.

It wasn’t until I was home one of those days that I realised that I lost my school ID. I couldn’t seem to find where I put it last. It was always in my bag. Nevertheless, I applied for a new one. In a few days, I forgot about it. One day as I walked out of the gates of the school building the now familiar uniform grabbed my attention. My eyes widened. I had seen him many times by now, on the same bus; every day for a brief moment in the ride, our eyes did meet, to look away awkwardly. But what was he doing here? I tried to be calm, and expressionless, as I walked past him, reminding myself that I wasn’t the only person who studied there. He could very well be here for a friend. He doesn't know me and neither do I.

“Excuse me.” That was the first time I heard his voice, calm, clear and a little unsure. “You. Excuse me.” He had walked up to me by then, as I stopped and turned.
“Yes?” I tried to sound like I didn’t recognize him and failed miserably.
“You... I tried to talk to you on the bus but...” He was searching his bag for something. “Here. You left it in your seat.” He pulled out my lost ID card. I heaved a sigh of relief. Not a scary stalker after all.
“Thank you,” I said in genuine appreciation. “You came all the way here for this, I appreciate it....”
“I actually tried to talk to you a couple of times to give this back.” He sounded a little embarrassed “I guess being an introvert is a curse.” That made me smile.

“I totally understand.” I nodded. “So how can I thank you?”
“Oh no no Ajabdeh you need not.” He shook his head.
“Wait... how do you know my name?!” The hint of shock in my voice was evident.
“That... umm... it’s... in the ID?” he said matter of factly.
I was immediately embarrassed “Oh yes yes.”
“Don’t worry am not a crazy stalker.” He shrugged. 
A moment of silence passed by as the cars honked past us.
“I should better go.” He turned to leave.
“Hey wait!” He stopped and turned at my words. “Umm... how about I treat you to Burgers? To thank you?”
“Oh, you need not!” He dismissed the idea.
“I insist.” I stepped carefully towards him “There is a McD right at the turn of this road. Let’s go.”
“Okay.” He agreed “But you really shouldn’t...”

“What’s your name?” I asked as we walked side by side towards the outlet.
“Umm... Pratap... Pratap Singh Sisodia.” He smiled. “I study at DVS”
“That’s almost half the city away!” I stopped astonished “You came all the way here too...”
“Please, this is midway between my home and school. It wasn’t a problem at all.” He smiled sheepishly.
“You could courier it to the given address,” I said matter-of-factly, pushing the door open and finding a place.
“And miss a chance to have a McD for free?” He sounded amused. I laughed.
“You have a point there.” I walked away to place the orders.

When I came back with a tray of burgers, fries and coke, he was reading a book I saw him reading on the bus.
“This is one of my favourite novel by the way,” I said placing down the tray.
“Huh?” he seemed lost as he looked up.
“This.” I pointed. It was Man Woman & Child by Eric Segal.
“Ohh.” He smiled “That’s why you keep staring at me on the bus!” I turned a little red at his words while he looked away and then took his fries.

“So where do you stay?” I asked trying to end the silence.
“Till today, uptown.” He smiled a little.
“What do you mean by till today?” I frowned.
“I am moving to Delhi tomorrow. It was my last day at school today and in this city.” He sighed. “My dad has a transferable job. I barely have a city called home, or friends... It keeps changing...”
“Come on.” I got up and packed my bags.
“Where?” he frowned. “You need to go so soon?”
“No.” I shook my head. “Let’s make this city worth remembering for you.” He smiled at my words. We grabbed our burgers and walked out to the streets.

Through our long walk, we talked about the novel, its characters, our favourite parts and the most hated ones. I had stopped at the roadside food stall.
“The first thing you relate to a city is its food,” I said pointing at the small menu card with plenty of spelling mistakes. “So let’s start with the street food.”
After three plates of chaat and plenty of laughter over it being spicy, we walked to the riverfront. Sitting on the steps and watching the sun set he smiled.
“You were right. I will remember this city and the last day here.” He said as I smiled at him.
“And you.” He added before looking away at the sunset. That was the first time I noticed his eyes were brown. Almost like the autumn leaves around us.





READ NEXT CHAPTER

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

His Wife

" Where is the Kesar, Rama? And the Kalash?" Ajabde looked visibly displeased at the daasi who ran. " They are at the fort gates and nothing is ready yet!" She exclaimed. She was clad in a red Jora and the jewellery she had inherited as the first Kunwarani of the crown prince. Little Amar ran down the hallway towards his mother. " Maa sa Maa sa... who is coming with Daajiraj?" His innocent question made her heart sink. " Bhanwar Ji." Sajja Bai called out to him. " Come here I will tell you." Amar rushed to his Majhli Dadisa. " Ajabde." She turned at Jaivanta Bai's call. "They are here." " M... My Aarti thali..." Ajabde looked lost like never before. Jaivanta Bai held her stone-cold hands, making her stop. She patted her head and gave her a hug. The hug gave her the comfort she was looking for as her racing heart calmed down. Jaivanta Bai left her alone with her thaal. " Maa sa!" Amar exclaimed

She Left...

The war was over and so were the hopes of regaining Chittor. The Battle at Haldighati had robbed the Rana of all his wealth, and brave men, and bruised him for life. Trying to match up to Akbar or rather Raja Man Singh's army with one-third its strength had cost his bravery dearly. He had lost his friend and companion. He had brushed past death. The only good thing that this war ensured was that Akbar accepted that he cannot have Mewar. His army retreated and left the country in peace after almost two decades and seventeen wars. This war gave something else too. Kunwar Shakti came to help his brother in his time of need. He lived up to his brother's expectations of being loyal to his family. A heavy-hearted Rana Pratap Singh was overseeing the construction work on his lost friend's memorial right where he died, trying to save his master. The Bronze statue of the life-like Chetak stood tall but was no match for the void Chetak has left behind. He was lost in his thoughts as

Towards You

Kunwar Pratap and Ajabde were friends. He didn't feel awkward sharing his plans and thoughts with her anymore. She was more than happy to advise him on everything. She was happy he listened to her advice before taking or discarding them, be it on what to wear to Padmavati's Sagai or how to befriend the revolting Bhils. He loved the way Ajabde always used metaphors from Puranas and Ramayanas to explain the toughest things so easily. She expressed herself so well, so easily that it amazed him.   The Afghans were now led by Mehmood Shah. They have made secret territories in the forests and waited to attack. Rawatji and his spies had confirmed the news and Udai Singh had warned Mehmood Shah to withdraw his troops from Mewar in vain. Now, it was time they declared war. Mehmood Shah had limited resources in Mewar. And his spies clearly suggested that in no way could he win, especially with Kunwar Pratap leading his troops. He was having second thoughts about the war. One of his aides

Destiny

The war was almost won.  A few of Marwar’s soldiers were left on the field along with Rao Maldeo Singh Rathore, their king and leader.  He was thinking of retreating at the end of this day. As his sword clashed with one of the opponent generals as he eyed the opponent King now open and prone to attack. A little hope flickered in his mind as his eyes instructed his closest aide.  The opponent was quite in a winning situation thanks to their new Senapati. He was just 16 yet his bravery and valour reflected his blood and upbringing. He mesmerised the opponents and even Rao Maldeo with his clever war strategies and sword skills. As Maldeo’s aide swung his sword at a taken aback Udai Singh, someone’s sword defended it as his body acted like a shield for the king. He killed the man in one go. “ Ranaji are you okay?” “ Haan Raoji.” He nodded gratefully.  By half the day, the Marwar army had retreated as the air filled with “ Jai Mewar! Jai Eklingji!” From the triumphant soldiers. Rana Udai Si

Unpredictable

" Ohho Dadabhai! I can not walk anymore!" Shakti was panting. Clad in a commoner's attire they had hired a cart for some distance and were now walking to Bijolia. " You have to! We have to go back tomorrow morning otherwise they will be sure we were not at the Kelwara region but elsewhere." He said in an indifferent tone. The stone on the path indicated they had reached Bijolia. " There! Look Dadabhai a mandir!" He smiled. " Thik hai ." Kunwar Pratap shook his head a little displeased. " You can rest a little before going into the main township." " Paani!" Shakti was panting as he sat on a solitary part of the Radha Krishna temple as Kunwar Pratap walked in to seek blessings. At Shakti's cry for water, he started looking around and found a pond visible in the distance.   " Stay here!" He ordered his brother even though he knew very well Shakti won't move from his place. He was at the bank looking at the c

The Chosen Ones

“How you see the outcome of a war often depends on whose side you are on.” The forestland  of Bhilwara was dense. It was also the border between Mewar and Bundi, the most powerful states of Rajputana. The borders were being constantly patrolled by the guards of Mewar, owing to the recent win over the Afghans. Sher Shah Suri’s general had been defeated at last at Chittorgarh, the capital. But the borders in this area were never safe, especially with so many villages near it. Apart from enemies, there were looters and dacoits on the route too, who often troubled the travellers . Not far from the forestland  was the Chambal basin of the Aravallis. It was a very hot summer afternoon. The guards stopped beneath a tree, tired and thirsty in search of water. Two travellers  were resting there, one was an old man, who seemed to have weak limbs, and another his son, probably. “Are you looking for water, Brother?” The younger man asked. “Yes.” The soldiers were pleased with the

The Future

“It is not what you can do for Love, it is often what Love makes you do, that defines your relationship.” The Padishah Begum had ordered the shift of the harem to Lahore. With the news, the ladies of the harem had started packing in a hurry. They had stopped on their way to Lahore at Jalandhar to celebrate the wedding of Salima Begum to Bairam Khan which continued for a fortnight. The emperor himself was present briefly on the day of the Nikah and as the Kazi read out the Nikah conditions; Rukaiya Begum smiled noticing how the Emperor’s eyes met hers across the hall. She smiled behind the Purdah knowing he too remembered his own wedding, just like she did at every wedding she attended. From Jalandhar where Khan Baba was stationed with his family, the Harem had moved to Lahore while Jalal went back to Mankot with Maham Anga. Lahore was a transformed city since Rukaiya Begum first saw it. She peeped between the curtains of her caravan to watch the crowd of eager onlookers on th

Protectors

Rao Surtan was at the Palace gates as the soldiers tried in vain to attack with arrows. His army was stronger and more competent than the one Balwant headed at the Bijolia Fort Gates. “Break the door” he ordered. “Where is Ajabde?” Hansa looked around the cellar. “Jija!” Ratan exclaimed. “She was on the roof last I saw.” “Ajabde.” Hansa Bai opened the cellar door and stepped out followed by Ratan who was equally worried. “Stay back!” Sajja Bai called in vain as Jaivanta Bai too walked out and up the stairs to the corridors of the Ranimahal in search of Ajabde.  Meanwhile, Surtan’s army had entered the palace and he made his way to the Ranimahal. He was having different thoughts now. Killing Jaivanta Bai won't yield him anything… Maybe capturing a few young maidens… Ratan froze in the corridor seeing the man approach. Behind her were her mother and Jaivanta Bai with the same reaction. “ Jee Bavro ho gayo!” Surtan Singh took out his sword. Ratan took two ste

Understandings

After counting days, Ajabde was happy that she was going to Bijolia. She knew how eager her mother and Ratan would be to know about her new life. She couldn't wait to hug her mother and feel like... Home. She was selecting gifts for her parents and her siblings as per Ranima's instructions. Then suddenly an idea struck her mind. Her new family welcomed her with so much love and support. Especially Ranima and Majhli Maa Sa. She wanted to give them something. Suddenly she remembered that Ranima had loved her embroidery work on dupattas back in Bijolia so she called a Dasi and ordered some plain Chunris and embroidery threads. She had a lot of work to finish in a day before leaving.   Kunwar Pratap came back into the room to see her on the floor, right in the middle of the room with red, green, yellow, and pink all sorts of dupattas scattered. " What's all this?" He asked not sure if he should be asking. " I am making gifts. For Ranima, Majhli ma, Rani Dheer Bai

Of Faith and Fate

Series Announcement! Historical Fictions are special, so here is one, short but special tale close to my heart after a really long time! This story is a special one because it is completely historical fiction with very little connection to the fan fiction I have written previously. However, I have maintained the sequence of events, reading history books on the context.  This is not a story of a man and a woman, their love and trust. This one is about the tests time often puts people through, forcing them to change. My protagonists in this one are hence, two princesses of the same age. Ajabdeh Punwar or Ajbante Kanwar Baisa, as she is locally called is the princess of a very significant district of Bijolia in Mewar. Bijolia lies in the seat of political events, at the border of Bundi and Mewar. Having her lineage from the mighty Chauhans, her forefathers once ruled Mewar. Her father is an officer in the army of Mewar under Rana Udai Singh and she is a lady of principles,