Skip to main content

Friends?


6AMs was now a daily routine for Ajabdeh. She dressed up and waited to be at the stable. She had learnt to make a balm and even tried to apply it to Chetak. He neighed every time she called his name making her love him even more. She had never had pets in her life and suddenly Chetak seemed dearer to her than anyone else in her entire life. She could not imagine how she would leave Surajgarh with this attachment. It would be a lie to say Chetak was her only attachment here. She had slowly started liking the place. In a week, she had attended one of Meera Ma’s gatherings, offered prayers with the villagers at a temple, roamed the whole palace, and got quite used to having Chundawat, Patta and Pratap around at her beck and call. 

When in a week Chetak’s wound showed slow signs of improvement Pratap smiled like he had been successful in a mission.
“Only if we knew what caused his wound” She had heard him murmur “He would perhaps heal better.”

All she saw from behind the long curtains of her bedroom window was a man being pushed out by the guards. Scared she had asked her nanny what happened. The nanny smiled brushed her hair and said “Oh nothing Baisa Hukum, that was a bad man!”
“Where will he go?” She asked as the old lady braided her hair.
“Far away from here.” She said casually.
“Alone?” She had asked, “Won’t he be scared?”
“No. I heard he has a son. You have seen them at the stable, haven’t you?” Her heart had skipped a beat.

That night the three-year-old did something that changed her life. She sneaked out of the heavily guarded palace, reached the stable, and with great difficulty she undid the rope that held her horse.
“Come on Chetak we need to find him before he leaves.” She whispered. For the first time, she got on him, alone and pulled the reign cluelessly. The horse had neighed and galloped across the estate grabbing everyone’s attention.

“Stop them!” Her father shouted in panic and the gates were closed before she could step out.
“Leap Chetak, before they close it.” She had said with her heart pounding, holding the reign tighter.
To everyone’s horror, the pony tried to leap and got its leg stuck in between two wires. It bled and neighed while the child was thrown back with a jolt to the ground.

“Ajabdeh!” All she heard was a shout and she knew not what happened after she had gone to the stable. The unconscious child bled and was shifted to a hospital in the city. After two days she woke up, not remembering a thing from her past. Her mother said she had fallen off a staircase. She never came home, as she begged her mother to take her along. Hansa said it was important that she stayed with Nanosa.

“Don’t worry Hansa.” The man reassured her mother taking her hand in his “The doctor said she has forgotten it for the better. And a day at a such tender age is easily forgotten always. I will give her a life to remember and she will forget it forever. I promise.”

 “So I talked to Chundawatji about Chetak.” Ajabde walked up to Chetak as Pratap was inspecting him. “He was bought years back and no one here seems to know what hurt him. He said my parents change employees every 5 6 years and most of them are not locals.” Pratap could read the hint of doubt in her voice and wondered why it came. “I wish someone could know more about his injury.” Ajabde had whispered unmindfully and Pratap’s hand stopped at the bandage.

“If you want, I can ask my father. He...Ummm.... used to work here.” Pratap spoke trying to sound normal.
“Huh?” Ajabdeh stared at him clueless when he stood up to face her and repeated “My father used to work here two decades back so I can ask...”
“You didn’t tell me that your father is an ex-employee.” Ajabdeh frowned with a voice of accusation.
“You did not even want to know my name.” Pratap reasoned.
“Will he know?” She asked frowning unsure.
“We can ask and see.” Pratap took out his phone, dialled the number and put it on speaker.

“Hello?” The voice on the other side was gruff.
“Did I disturb you in between your class Daata?” Pratap frowned.
“No. Tell me. How are you?” His voice suddenly seemed restless “Is everything fine?”
“Everything is perfect Daata. So.... umm... I wanted to know... You know there is a boy in the Village called Patta he told me that there is this wonderful top-bred horse in the palace stable, called Chetak. Did you know this .... Chetak?”
There was a pause on the other side as Ajabdeh and Pratap shared a quick glance.
“Chetak...Chetak... umm... Oh yes. Raoji bought him at Sarangkheda as a gift to the elder princess. Why? Pratap, you haven’t been to the....”
“Okay Daata, Badima is calling me, I have to go.” Pratap was quickly making Ajabdeh frown some more.
“Listen. Listen. Your boss called me because you didn’t answer his call. He was saying your leave is over and...”
“Yes Yes, I will call him up Daata don’t worry. Take care.” Pratap hung up and stared at Ajabdeh.

“He is your horse and you don’t remember him?” His voice was full of doubt.
“I don’t know... it can be for Heer.” Ajabde was awkward.
“He said, elder princess.” Pratap frowned. 
She had a horse from her father? Did she know riding too? Suddenly Ajabde felt restless.
“I think I am not feeling very well in this heat. I should go. You two carry on.”
“Ji Hukum.” Patta bowed as the sudden colour fading from her face made Pratap frown. 
He watched her go and said aloud “That is strange. She doesn’t remember having a horse. How old was she when she left?!”
“What do you remember?” Patta had asked unmindfully “From your childhood?”
“Bits and pieces mostly, like Badima, playing in the courtyard. Stuff like that.” Pratap smiled.
“Any friends here?” Patta asked pushing the haystack.
“No.” Pratap shook his head. “None I can recollect.”
“That is weird staying at Panwarmer and having no childhood playmates.” Patta stared at him in disbelief. Pratap shrugged holding Chetak’s reign and taking him back to the stable. 
“I was an introvert.”

Ajabdeh sat absent-mindedly on a rocking chair that perhaps belonged to her grandfather in the study and swayed in the light and shadow of the room. There was a huge family portrait in front of her, of her parents, looking elegant as ever, with her in a pink dress and little Heer on her mother’s lap. Ajabdeh stopped rocking and called on the maid.
“I can perhaps remember from pictures.” She was going through the stacks of old family albums the maid placed before her. Her infant pictures, when she learned to stand up, sit and perhaps talk. She had seen these before. She moved to the pictures from her second birthday. She carefully went through the unknown faces in the crowd. Apart from her parents, and Nanosa she knew none of them. Then she checked Heer’s infant pictures and frowned at one where she wore a white lacy dress at a party. She had no pictures here after that. And no Chetak.
“Kesari. There have to be more albums. Find them.”
“I am sorry Baisa Hukum. There are no more albums.” The maid bowed and left.

“I can’t believe this.” Ajabde covered her face with her hand and then stared at her reflection in the mirror.”Not a sign of Chetak or anyone else I can know or remember.” She suddenly ran to her drawer and took out the drawing book. “This is a white horse... umm... even if that is Chetak, who is he?”
One of the guards knocked at her door and peeked in.
“Yes?”
“Pratap Singh is here to see you.” He made the princess stare at the clock. It was half past five in the evening.
“Now?” She frowned. “Let him wait on the front lawn.”
“Yes, Hukum.” He had bowed and left. Ajabdeh stared at her reflection in the mirror. She set her top straight, combed her hair into a bun and walked out with a sigh.
“What is it?” Her voice made him turn as his eyes met hers. “What do you want?”
“Good Evening Ma’am. I am sorry I disturbed you without an appointment...” Pratap tried to sound casual making Ajabdeh stare at him.

“What do you want?” She spoke in a tired tone.
“I thought I should explain about my father and...”
“Oh that’s okay, it doesn’t matter.” Ajabde shrugged with a polite smile.
“No, I... he was fired from his job as a .... umm... horse caretaker.” He looked serious.
“Fired?” Ajabde frowned “Why?”
“He doesn’t know that. We were told to leave the village in a day and we moved to Jodhpur. We never talked of that day, and frankly, I don’t remember much. And if it matters then I can just stop coming from tomorrow.” He said in a low tone.
“O really?” Ajabde had crossed her arms against her chest and stared at Pratap who looked away.” And who will take care of Chetak and my riding lessons?”
“I am sure Chundawat will find you a...”
“So you have a job in the city and you have to leave?” Her words interrupted him.
“No. I mean yes I have a job. But that is not why I... I mean... if my past....”
Ajabde’s voice was firm “I have no issues with your past. I am not going to stay here anyway and something tells me neither are you. So just let’s have the lessons as planned. I am glad you came to explain, but it was okay if you didn’t also.”
“It is just that I wanted to be clear.” Pratap smiled faintly.

“I like your honesty. So...” Ajabde sat down in a lawn chair and gestured at the empty seat in front of her. “Have a seat”
“Here?” Pratap raised his eyebrows and eyed the gardener and guards staring at them. He knew the rules around here. Employees didn’t mingle with the royals more than their scheduled jobs let alone have a seat with them.
“Yes. Here. Why?” Ajabdeh followed his gaze around “I thought you weren’t ready to believe in age-old traditions and all?”
“Yes, I don’t but...” Pratap was not sure if he should explain the “social norms” and sat down in a hurry.
“Tea? Coffee?” She asked crossing her legs.
“No Thank You.”
“Kesari.” She had called on the maid who stared at Pratap with suspicion and surprise. “Two coffees please.”
“I prefer tea.” His voice was low and awkward and it made Ajabde smile amused while he looked away.
“That’s better. Two teas. Bring it down here.”
“Yes, Baisa Hukum.” Kesari left giving him one last suspicious glance.

“So. Tell me. Why leave a job to be here?” She stared at him narrowing her eyes “I don’t think you like it here.”
“Well, I have responsibilities towards my Badimaasa. She was a mother to me when I lost mine. She is alone and unwell and wants me around so...”
“How long do you plan to be here?”
“I don’t know. You?” The moment Pratap asked he was a little awkward knowing he had crossed the barriers of formality. He really did not want that with a royal.
“A month. Till the family comes back. I am sure they don’t want me around.” She stopped at his surprised stare.
“When were you... I mean when did you...”
“Leave? I was three barely.” Ajabdeh shrugged “And I will again leave soon.” Her words faded in her thoughts.
“I just asked because I wanted to know how much time I have to teach you.” Pratap was sure she wasn’t even interested in his explanation.

“Where do you stay in Panwarmer?” She asked as the tea arrived. She handed him his cup offering sugar cubes and smiled “I never asked.”
“You know Meera Ma?” He asked taking a small sip of his tea.
“Yes of course. I met her and it was... she was...”
“She is my Badima.” Pratap stopped at his cup watching Ajabde stare at him in disbelief.
“Are there any other secrets you are hiding Pratap?” She narrowed her eyes at him.
“Not that I can think of. I actually hid nothing. You never asked.”

He was surprised to see her get up and say “Let’s go.”
“Where to?” He frowned.
“To meet Meera Ma of course. You will take me to your place. I was always wondering where she ...”
“Now?” he asked surprised.
“Now! Is there a problem?” She narrowed her eyes.
“No.” Pratap seemed a little reluctant “I mean the house is really small and ...”
“So?” She shrugged as he put down his cup.
“You see umm... the royal family doesn’t really come to our homes. Gatherings are public places but...”
“So you don’t want me to go to your house?” She narrowed her eyes. “Is this how you treat guests?”
“I did not mean that Ma’am. I am sorry if it felt that way I was just...” Pratap stopped at her stare and sighed. “ Please come.”
“We can take my car there.” She offered with a smile.
“Umm... you come in that I will... ride my bike ahead of you...” He said reluctantly.
“You have a bike?” She asked.
“Umm yes, I rented it actually, to come and go to places you know...” He shrugged.
“Then let’s go on your bike.” Ajabdeh smiled making him stare.
“What? No. You can’t ride on my bike.” He shook his head.
“Why? Because I am a royal?” She frowned.
“I mean umm... you, people, have rules and besides if anyone sees you there will be a lot of...”
“Wait. Take your bike and meet me at the back gate in five minutes can you?”
“Yes, But I... Ma’am?” Pratap saw her run inside while he sighed and shook his head.

After ten minutes of waiting in the darkness at the back gate of the palace where an old man sat snoring in the guard’s cabin, Pratap saw a figure approaching him. In the darkness, he could see her face wrapped in a dupatta and her wearing the same salwar she was on the first day.
“You have a spare helmet?” She whispered approaching him.
“Yes, I...” She had snatched the same, put it on and said “Let’s go.”
He had kick-started the bike, afraid that its noise would wake the old guard who would clearly spot him with a girl on the back seat of his bike. Worse, the girl had casually put her hand on his shoulder for balance and he could do nothing about it.
“I will umm take the longer route outside the village in case...”
“Ya, ya do that.” She had patted his back making him stiffen awkwardly.

When Meera walked out of her house into the courtyard to light a lamp she frowned as the bike parked on one side. Her Pratap has brought home a girl?
Getting down from the bike, Ajabdeh removed her helmet while Pratap rushed to close the high gates from inside.
“Guru Ma.” It was only when Ajabde had smiled touching her feet that Meera was surprised to see her.
“Rajkumarisa.” She smiled eyeing Pratap “I did not expect you on his bike, but glad that you came by.” Pratap had walked past them at her stare and into the house as she welcomed the princess.
“He was reluctant to bring me here as well.” Ajab frowned.
“That’s not true.” Came a mild protest from inside.
“Come have a seat, my child. Will you have some kheer?” Meera asked directing her to a swing in the courtyard.
“I love Kheer, Thank you.” Pratap had changed into a kurta and walked out to find the princess eating the bowl of kheer in a very unroyal manner, using her hands, as Meera smiled at her.
“You should come here more often.” Meera Ma smiled “I can make more kheer.”
“I will surely before I leave.”
“You will leave?” Meera suddenly frowned “Why?”
“I have come here... umm... just to see my native place Guruma. I don’t intend to stay here when my parents don’t want me to.”
“But it is your home dear, and you can always choose to stay here.”
“I don’t mean to offend you Guruma but I don’t see much of a future here. I think Pratap will agree to that.” She had stared at Pratap for some support for her statement but he stood against the threshold and showed none.
“Who knows what destiny has for us, dear? We don’t choose our fate, it chooses us. And yours... is chosen.” Meera had smiled a melancholy smile as she stared across at Pratap “All of ours is chosen.”
Ajabdeh stared confused at her and then at Pratap who looked equally confused.

“Guruma, I was here to ask you something can I?” She asked gently.
“Surely dear.” Meera nodded.
“What was it you were saying about asking the right question and seeking love that day? You remember?” She frowned.
Pratap frowned at her words. “When did you say that again Badima?”
“At the temple.” Meera Ma smiled “I remember. I said so because I sensed you are lost, Rajkuwarisa. You have a thousand directions to go to, but no maps to follow to your destination. You need a guide.”
“And how can I know that someone can guide me?” Ajabdeh frowned.
“You will just know.” Meera gently placed her hand on Ajabde’s head and smiled “Pratap?”
“Yes, Badima.”
“Take her home.”
“Thank You Guruma, it feels so nice talking to you.” Ajabde smiled touching her feet as Meera blessed her and Pratap went to start his bike.
“Come again, whenever you feel like it,” Meera said as she nodded.

Back at the palace gate Ajabde got down and handed him the helmet with a quick “Thank you.”
“You are welcome, Ma’am. And don’t put much thought into what Badima says. No one understands those.” He had managed a smile as she nodded.
“See you in the morning Pratap.”
“Umm... Thank You...” He spoke looking away, turning the key to his bike “You are the first royal who perhaps stepped into anyone’s house in Panwarmer, Badi Ma was happy with that.”
“I seriously thought Maasa goes to her place to...” She frowned.

“She meets her at gatherings. You broke a rule today, and it made Badi Ma smile. So thank you.”
“Ah, rules are meant to be broken if they are baseless right? Besides, I am not a princess. Just an heiress to an estate. That too not a good one.” She shrugged.
“Pardon me Ma’am but what makes you say you are not good enough?” he frowned at her words.
 “I don’t even know or understand the people, their problems or how things function around here. My father takes care of the business, my mother takes care of the social causes, and my sister is loved and respected, that is all I know. The people here are as much alien to me, as I am to them. I can never be their princess.” She shook her head and sighed.
“That is not true.” Pratap frowned at her words making her stare at him. “You have it in you to be their princess, and make them love you for who you are.”

“And how am I going to do that?” Ajabdeh folded her arms close to her chest her tone challenging him “Where do I start?”
“First, start with knowing what they want. Remember, to make them feel like you are one of them, you have to make them believe in you, through your actions. Show that you want to be their princess, think of them, and their welfare.” He stopped at her shaking her hands. “I am sorry if I said something I shouldn’t have.”
“No, it is not that. Leave it Pratap.” Her smile was a melancholy one “I am not here to stay or be their princess. It is just that sometimes I feel... I am a very average person just like you are. And who knows, maybe I was wrong; maybe we can also end up being friends.” Her genuine smile faded at his disapproval in the last words.
“No Ma’am. We can never be friends.” His voice was firm and monotonous.
“But why is that? You and I both don’t belong here; neither do we believe in age-old traditions. And who knows, if we met at Jodhpur or Udaipur we could have been friends then why not here?” She shrugged casually “You are practically the first person to treat me normally here.”

“But, if we met at Udaipur or Jodhpur you wouldn’t have been my employer and I don’t like to be personal with my employer or students, and you are both.” Pratap smiled faintly “Also, it won’t change the fact that you are indeed a Punwar royal and I am a common villager...”
“So that is why you refused to take me to your place or was it because of the norms?” She frowned stopping him.
“Actually I...”
“Never mind, Pratap. But I still feel if I need a friend I will find you here.” Pratap stared at her smile as she turned and walked towards the gates and waited till she reached the porch where Ajabdeh turned back to watch his bike go.

READ ALL CHAPTERS HERE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

His Wife

" Where is the Kesar, Rama? And the Kalash?" Ajabde looked visibly displeased at the daasi who ran. " They are at the fort gates and nothing is ready yet!" She exclaimed. She was clad in a red Jora and the jewellery she had inherited as the first Kunwarani of the crown prince. Little Amar ran down the hallway towards his mother. " Maa sa Maa sa... who is coming with Daajiraj?" His innocent question made her heart sink. " Bhanwar Ji." Sajja Bai called out to him. " Come here I will tell you." Amar rushed to his Majhli Dadisa. " Ajabde." She turned at Jaivanta Bai's call. "They are here." " M... My Aarti thali..." Ajabde looked lost like never before. Jaivanta Bai held her stone-cold hands, making her stop. She patted her head and gave her a hug. The hug gave her the comfort she was looking for as her racing heart calmed down. Jaivanta Bai left her alone with her thaal. " Maa sa!" Amar exclaimed

Towards You

Kunwar Pratap and Ajabde were friends. He didn't feel awkward sharing his plans and thoughts with her anymore. She was more than happy to advise him on everything. She was happy he listened to her advice before taking or discarding them, be it on what to wear to Padmavati's Sagai or how to befriend the revolting Bhils. He loved the way Ajabde always used metaphors from Puranas and Ramayanas to explain the toughest things so easily. She expressed herself so well, so easily that it amazed him.   The Afghans were now led by Mehmood Shah. They have made secret territories in the forests and waited to attack. Rawatji and his spies had confirmed the news and Udai Singh had warned Mehmood Shah to withdraw his troops from Mewar in vain. Now, it was time they declared war. Mehmood Shah had limited resources in Mewar. And his spies clearly suggested that in no way could he win, especially with Kunwar Pratap leading his troops. He was having second thoughts about the war. One of his aides

Destiny

The war was almost won.  A few of Marwar’s soldiers were left on the field along with Rao Maldeo Singh Rathore, their king and leader.  He was thinking of retreating at the end of this day. As his sword clashed with one of the opponent generals as he eyed the opponent King now open and prone to attack. A little hope flickered in his mind as his eyes instructed his closest aide.  The opponent was quite in a winning situation thanks to their new Senapati. He was just 16 yet his bravery and valour reflected his blood and upbringing. He mesmerised the opponents and even Rao Maldeo with his clever war strategies and sword skills. As Maldeo’s aide swung his sword at a taken aback Udai Singh, someone’s sword defended it as his body acted like a shield for the king. He killed the man in one go. “ Ranaji are you okay?” “ Haan Raoji.” He nodded gratefully.  By half the day, the Marwar army had retreated as the air filled with “ Jai Mewar! Jai Eklingji!” From the triumphant soldiers. Rana Udai Si

She Left...

The war was over and so were the hopes of regaining Chittor. The Battle at Haldighati had robbed the Rana of all his wealth, and brave men, and bruised him for life. Trying to match up to Akbar or rather Raja Man Singh's army with one-third its strength had cost his bravery dearly. He had lost his friend and companion. He had brushed past death. The only good thing that this war ensured was that Akbar accepted that he cannot have Mewar. His army retreated and left the country in peace after almost two decades and seventeen wars. This war gave something else too. Kunwar Shakti came to help his brother in his time of need. He lived up to his brother's expectations of being loyal to his family. A heavy-hearted Rana Pratap Singh was overseeing the construction work on his lost friend's memorial right where he died, trying to save his master. The Bronze statue of the life-like Chetak stood tall but was no match for the void Chetak has left behind. He was lost in his thoughts as

Unpredictable

" Ohho Dadabhai! I can not walk anymore!" Shakti was panting. Clad in a commoner's attire they had hired a cart for some distance and were now walking to Bijolia. " You have to! We have to go back tomorrow morning otherwise they will be sure we were not at the Kelwara region but elsewhere." He said in an indifferent tone. The stone on the path indicated they had reached Bijolia. " There! Look Dadabhai a mandir!" He smiled. " Thik hai ." Kunwar Pratap shook his head a little displeased. " You can rest a little before going into the main township." " Paani!" Shakti was panting as he sat on a solitary part of the Radha Krishna temple as Kunwar Pratap walked in to seek blessings. At Shakti's cry for water, he started looking around and found a pond visible in the distance.   " Stay here!" He ordered his brother even though he knew very well Shakti won't move from his place. He was at the bank looking at the c

My Everything

Kunwar Pratap stormed into the Mahal at Gogunda. Happy faces of the chieftains and soldiers welcomed him as Rao Ramrakh and Rawatji stopped the ongoing Raj tilak. A visibly scared Kunwar Jagmal looked clueless at a visibly angry Kunwar Pratap. Rani Dheerbai Bhattiyani hadn't expected this son of Mewar to show up that too twenty-one days after his father's death. He was not informed as per Dheerbai's instructions. She looked at Rawat Ji. He must have gone to Raoji at Bijolia. No one except them knew where Kunwar Pratap was staying. It was for the safety of his family. " What are you doing Chotima?" A disappointed voice came. She could stoop down so low? " We were about to inform you..." She spoke up in her defence. " When Dheerbai ji?" Maharani Jaivanta Bai, clad in white entered the hall as people bowed before her. " After your son's coronation?" " I did nothing Badima I swear!" A low voice came from Jagmal. " Maha

To Protect You

Kunwar Pratap was in court with Rana Udai Singh. The Mughals were conquering a huge part of the north courtesy of Bairam Khan and Mewar on their routes to the ports of Gujarat. " Dajiraj we need to secure the roads leading to Agra and also towards the west. The attack-prone areas should always be under surveillance." " Yes Ranaji. Baojiraj is right." Rawatji agreed.   In the Rani Mahal, everyone was preparing for a grand lunch. Ajabde was making a sweet dish for the princes and princesses and in a hurry, she forgot to add the Kesar and Badam on top. As she served the smaller princes including Kunwar Jagmal, Dheerbai came to inspect her eldest son's food. " What is this? Who made this? Kokoiaji?" She stormed to the kitchen with a bowl of sweet dishes.   " Kunwaranisa did." Came a scary answer, from Veer Bai. " Ajabde Baisa." Her words let out a silent gasp from the lesser queens who stood witness. Calm and composed, Ajabde walked up

The Chosen Ones

“How you see the outcome of a war often depends on whose side you are on.” The forestland  of Bhilwara was dense. It was also the border between Mewar and Bundi, the most powerful states of Rajputana. The borders were being constantly patrolled by the guards of Mewar, owing to the recent win over the Afghans. Sher Shah Suri’s general had been defeated at last at Chittorgarh, the capital. But the borders in this area were never safe, especially with so many villages near it. Apart from enemies, there were looters and dacoits on the route too, who often troubled the travellers . Not far from the forestland  was the Chambal basin of the Aravallis. It was a very hot summer afternoon. The guards stopped beneath a tree, tired and thirsty in search of water. Two travellers  were resting there, one was an old man, who seemed to have weak limbs, and another his son, probably. “Are you looking for water, Brother?” The younger man asked. “Yes.” The soldiers were pleased with the

The Future

“It is not what you can do for Love, it is often what Love makes you do, that defines your relationship.” The Padishah Begum had ordered the shift of the harem to Lahore. With the news, the ladies of the harem had started packing in a hurry. They had stopped on their way to Lahore at Jalandhar to celebrate the wedding of Salima Begum to Bairam Khan which continued for a fortnight. The emperor himself was present briefly on the day of the Nikah and as the Kazi read out the Nikah conditions; Rukaiya Begum smiled noticing how the Emperor’s eyes met hers across the hall. She smiled behind the Purdah knowing he too remembered his own wedding, just like she did at every wedding she attended. From Jalandhar where Khan Baba was stationed with his family, the Harem had moved to Lahore while Jalal went back to Mankot with Maham Anga. Lahore was a transformed city since Rukaiya Begum first saw it. She peeped between the curtains of her caravan to watch the crowd of eager onlookers on th

Struggle of Thoughts

Kunwar Pratap and Ajabde had both by the first week known each other's schedules well and they made sure that their timings didn't clash, be it in the puja Ghar, dressing room or elsewhere. They tried to stay out of each other's way as much as possible, giving each other the space they needed. Ajabde had learned that Kunwar Pratap preferred cold sharbat and desserts over steaming hot food, he liked to wake up with the first bird's call at dawn, he didn't like any disturbances at work or at the Dangal Sthal, and he loved his mother the most. Kunwar Pratap had learned that she was intelligent enough to decipher unsaid words between the lines of any novel, epic or book she read. She was very much into spending most of her time reading or sewing and when outside he always spotted her in the garden tending to flowers with his sisters. What he saw was how similar her lifestyle was to his mother's in a very weird way. She liked things simple, preferred to make her own