Skip to main content

Soul Meet: Anticipated Encounter

 This post is a part of the series "Soul Meet" so if you have not read previous posts kindly read it here.

Ajabdeh submitted her paper and shut her laptop down for the weekend. Her home desk had pictures on the walls. Pictures he had clicked of her on every trip they took together. Across the country. Sometimes planned, sometimes unplanned. Long distance was tough, but in between the struggle of constantly being active on their phones to keep in touch with calls, texts, emails and video calls there was a sense of individuality, identity and liberty in it that she enjoyed. Now and then they would meet at a spot in between somewhere and go on trips. Hike to mountains, laze at beaches and try adventure sports. Everything she experienced in the past year was ticked off her bucket list. Each memory now sat glued to her desk wall, in pictures he clicked. He was a good photographer and she: his muse. She was surprised when he called the previous day saying he would be coming to see her. She knew he kept saying he wanted to visit Rajasthan but this sudden plan was odd. Ajabdeh spent her entire free time cleaning the house. Every corner needed to look perfect. What if he judged her for the plants she forgot to water? Or that dusty corner in the balcony she had no time to clean? She ran her hand through her bookshelf. It was an impressive collection. Would he like it? Ajabdeh sat down on the couch and shook her head. She was doing it again.


I check myself every time I try to impress him. I want to show him who I truly am. If he repels he may do so now rather than regret it later. Is it me who feels wrong when things go right? Why do I feel like something bad will inevitably happen if I am too happy? If I laugh too loud? Love too deeply? Love. I shudder at the word nowadays. Is it not me who told him not to fear love? Then why do I struggle to practice what I preach? I mean… We have never said we love each other. Have we? What if he doesn’t? What if he truly meant having a good time and seeing where it's going? I have been hung by the thread for too long before and I don’t want to be treated the same anymore. Is it too early for me to tell him to define our relationship? Give it a name. Say what we are? Why do I come home after every trip with a heavy heart and guilt, every time I am close to him, every time he touches me and I enjoy it? Is it because my brain relives a trauma or questions his intentions? Or is it because I miss his presence once he leaves? Am I supposed to have so many questions if I am in love? What if I am not? What if I am ready to hear it from him and unable to say it back?


The announcement broke Ajabdeh’s chain of thoughts as she stared at the rush of people coming out of the airport. Pratap looked around the crowded unfamiliar airport as he pushed his trolley from the luggage belt towards the domestic exit. As soon as he reached the exit he was startled by her sudden approach and hug. He longed for that hug for two months. But he could see people eyeing them. Some with smiles who thought it was adorable when people reunited after a long time. Others with judgement in their eyes, was it a place to show affection? He patted her back and smiled.

“I said you need not come pick me up.” He said as she narrowed her gaze taking the trolley from him.

“Why would you pay for a cab when I can drive you home?” She shook her head and led him to her Maruti Ignis. He got on the passenger seat as she pushed the trolley on the back seat. He noticed the bell that hung from the rearview mirror as he watched her, realising he had brought that for her from Sikkim. He eyed her taking the wheels with a longing smile. 

“What?”

“It is good to see you in your element.” He shrugged. She blushed slightly and started the car.

The first thing Pratap noticed about Ajabdeh’s apartment was how well-maintained and clean it was. Everything was in place, well decorated and bright. It intimidated him. She would hate his clumsiness when she saw his house. Pratap approached the bookshelf as Ajabdeh smiled to herself.

“I will make coffee. You can keep your luggage in the guest room. The cupboard is emptied for you.” He glanced over his shoulder at her voice coming from the kitchen. It oddly reminded him of home. Of when his mother would often talk from the kitchen and the familiar sounds of utensils rattling as she cooked dinner or made snacks took Pratap back to the feeling of home.

“You want me to stay in the guest room?” He asked as she did not respond. He could hear the kettle whistling.

“I am not staying in the guest room.” He declared as she emerged with two steaming cups of coffee, her hair up in a bun. She smiled amused as she placed the tray down on the table and sat down on the couch. “I told you to put your clothes in that cupboard, not yourself.” he removed his jacket coyly and sat down beside her. 

“I made an itinerary for your visit. We can go see…” Ajabdeh stopped as he leaned in to kiss her. She smiled against his lips.

“I missed you.” 

Pratap nodded at her words. She frowned at his lack of response as he hugged her. The demons of her trauma and overthinking hit her again.

“We need to talk.” She managed to utter the most dreaded phrase in any relationship. Pratap looked a little startled at her words as she looked serious. His heart skipped a beat. He thought things were going well. Was she not happy?


I think she will like the ring. I chose it after much deliberation. It is simple. Small and elegant. Just like her. I know I should be careful enough not to spook her. I know I have skipped a few steps on the way too. Her last experience was very traumatic. I don’t want her to feel that my gestures are empty romantic manipulations. I want her to see how committed I want to be. I have it all planned. Her sister told me how she loves the sunsets from the forts. I googled the best sunsets in Rajasthan. Kumbhalgarh came up in the top five. She told me we must visit it. So I will just carry the ring in my pocket. Confess that I want to marry her. As soon as possible. We will figure everything else out together. Her sister. My parents. Our work. The cities. Everything. Hell, I can also quit my job and move if she wants me to. I just don’t want to lose her again. She is the only girl I ever loved. So what I am not her only one? Firsts are given so much importance while the rest are often seen as replacements. The first can be a mistake, a naivety of adolescent years, or a learning. What if the second is more beautiful? The third is the one? How are they lesser because they are not the first? Is this some competition? Weirdly, I never asked about her experiences unless she told me. I never bothered to remember his name. Her past doesn’t define her. Her present does. We are the present. And I have known her too long, haven’t I? Should I say I love you first? Or go straight for it?


“What is wrong?” Pratap barely found his voice as Ajabdeh jolted out of his hug and shook her head. “I don’t know. I don’t understand.”

“Understand what?” He asked with a frown.

“Where do we stand?” Her words made his heart jump to his throat. “Do we even love each other?” Ajabdeh stopped alarmed for she used the word for the first time. “Are you genuinely interested in me?”

“What does that even mean? For a year…” He managed to stand up and face her as she started pacing the room fidgeting with herself.

“We went on trips, enjoyed ourselves and made out.” She inferred. “Like many do. It's called situationship.”

Pratap inhaled. “You think me to be one of your situationships?” He seemed irked. “I asked you if you were seeking a rebound, and you said…”

“What? Me?” Ajabdeh stood staring at him in shock. “No, you! I am losing my mind here thinking that I fell for you and you did not. I am a fool.” She stopped as Pratap left the room abruptly. She wore a frown and called after him. “Where are you going? I am not done yet.”

“But I am.” He said as he walked into the room again, calmly as she stared confused. Her throat went dry as he said “Why is it so important to give what we have a name? It is good enough without it.”

“So I want to know, am I being a fool?”

“Why do you think you are being a fool, Ajabdeh?” He shook his head as he watched her eyes twinkle as she held back her tears.

“Because I love you.” She seemed to say it with great difficulty. The elephant was now out of the room as it fell into eerie silence. Ajabdeh could feel her heartbeat and breath. The wind chime tinkled on the balcony.

“Then marry me.” Ajabdeh opened her mouth at his words like she could not breathe. “I was planning on giving you this on a day trip to Kumbhalgarh but…” He held out the ring making her look at him with wide eyes, “It is not about the gesture, it's about my sincerity.”

He walked up to her and held the ring as she stared at it.

“It is okay if you say no but I want to take the leap of faith with you. That is why I wanted to come and stay, see your world, meet your people. Frankly, I am a clumsy person who is very intimated by this clean apartment right now.” She eyed him as he smiled sheepishly. “But I promise you don’t have to clean up after me. I want a partner, a wife. Not a mother or babysitter”

“I am a mess.” Ajabdeh shook her head. Pratap frowned.

“No, you are not. What you felt was valid and…”

“No. I mean I am a messy person. I spend hours cleaning this place up so that you don’t judge me.” She smiled a sheepish smile as the teardrop trickled down her cheek and Pratap looked amused.

“But why?” He asked.

“Perhaps because I wanted to impress you,” Ajabdeh admitted. “I wanted you to feel I am good enough.”

“You are more than good enough.” he shook his head. “ I am scared of myself at times.”

“So am I.” She agreed, “But we will figure this out together.” She held out her hand. “Now let's see if it fits.” Pratap nodded and slid the ring into her finger. A perfect fit.





Read All Chapters

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Destiny

The war was almost won.  A few of Marwar’s soldiers were left on the field along with Rao Maldeo Singh Rathore, their king and leader.  He was thinking of retreating at the end of this day. As his sword clashed with one of the opponent generals as he eyed the opponent King now open and prone to attack. A little hope flickered in his mind as his eyes instructed his closest aide.  The opponent was quite in a winning situation thanks to their new Senapati. He was just 16 yet his bravery and valour reflected his blood and upbringing. He mesmerised the opponents and even Rao Maldeo with his clever war strategies and sword skills. As Maldeo’s aide swung his sword at a taken aback Udai Singh, someone’s sword defended it as his body acted like a shield for the king. He killed the man in one go. “ Ranaji are you okay?” “ Haan Raoji.” He nodded gratefully.  By half the day, the Marwar army had retreated as the air filled with “ Jai Mewar! Jai Eklingji!” From the triumphant soldiers. Rana Udai Si

His Wife

" Where is the Kesar, Rama? And the Kalash?" Ajabde looked visibly displeased at the daasi who ran. " They are at the fort gates and nothing is ready yet!" She exclaimed. She was clad in a red Jora and the jewellery she had inherited as the first Kunwarani of the crown prince. Little Amar ran down the hallway towards his mother. " Maa sa Maa sa... who is coming with Daajiraj?" His innocent question made her heart sink. " Bhanwar Ji." Sajja Bai called out to him. " Come here I will tell you." Amar rushed to his Majhli Dadisa. " Ajabde." She turned at Jaivanta Bai's call. "They are here." " M... My Aarti thali..." Ajabde looked lost like never before. Jaivanta Bai held her stone-cold hands, making her stop. She patted her head and gave her a hug. The hug gave her the comfort she was looking for as her racing heart calmed down. Jaivanta Bai left her alone with her thaal. " Maa sa!" Amar exclaimed

Towards You

Kunwar Pratap and Ajabde were friends. He didn't feel awkward sharing his plans and thoughts with her anymore. She was more than happy to advise him on everything. She was happy he listened to her advice before taking or discarding them, be it on what to wear to Padmavati's Sagai or how to befriend the revolting Bhils. He loved the way Ajabde always used metaphors from Puranas and Ramayanas to explain the toughest things so easily. She expressed herself so well, so easily that it amazed him.   The Afghans were now led by Mehmood Shah. They have made secret territories in the forests and waited to attack. Rawatji and his spies had confirmed the news and Udai Singh had warned Mehmood Shah to withdraw his troops from Mewar in vain. Now, it was time they declared war. Mehmood Shah had limited resources in Mewar. And his spies clearly suggested that in no way could he win, especially with Kunwar Pratap leading his troops. He was having second thoughts about the war. One of his aides

She Left...

The war was over and so were the hopes of regaining Chittor. The Battle at Haldighati had robbed the Rana of all his wealth, and brave men, and bruised him for life. Trying to match up to Akbar or rather Raja Man Singh's army with one-third its strength had cost his bravery dearly. He had lost his friend and companion. He had brushed past death. The only good thing that this war ensured was that Akbar accepted that he cannot have Mewar. His army retreated and left the country in peace after almost two decades and seventeen wars. This war gave something else too. Kunwar Shakti came to help his brother in his time of need. He lived up to his brother's expectations of being loyal to his family. A heavy-hearted Rana Pratap Singh was overseeing the construction work on his lost friend's memorial right where he died, trying to save his master. The Bronze statue of the life-like Chetak stood tall but was no match for the void Chetak has left behind. He was lost in his thoughts as

Unpredictable

" Ohho Dadabhai! I can not walk anymore!" Shakti was panting. Clad in a commoner's attire they had hired a cart for some distance and were now walking to Bijolia. " You have to! We have to go back tomorrow morning otherwise they will be sure we were not at the Kelwara region but elsewhere." He said in an indifferent tone. The stone on the path indicated they had reached Bijolia. " There! Look Dadabhai a mandir!" He smiled. " Thik hai ." Kunwar Pratap shook his head a little displeased. " You can rest a little before going into the main township." " Paani!" Shakti was panting as he sat on a solitary part of the Radha Krishna temple as Kunwar Pratap walked in to seek blessings. At Shakti's cry for water, he started looking around and found a pond visible in the distance.   " Stay here!" He ordered his brother even though he knew very well Shakti won't move from his place. He was at the bank looking at the c

The Chosen Ones

“How you see the outcome of a war often depends on whose side you are on.” The forestland  of Bhilwara was dense. It was also the border between Mewar and Bundi, the most powerful states of Rajputana. The borders were being constantly patrolled by the guards of Mewar, owing to the recent win over the Afghans. Sher Shah Suri’s general had been defeated at last at Chittorgarh, the capital. But the borders in this area were never safe, especially with so many villages near it. Apart from enemies, there were looters and dacoits on the route too, who often troubled the travellers . Not far from the forestland  was the Chambal basin of the Aravallis. It was a very hot summer afternoon. The guards stopped beneath a tree, tired and thirsty in search of water. Two travellers  were resting there, one was an old man, who seemed to have weak limbs, and another his son, probably. “Are you looking for water, Brother?” The younger man asked. “Yes.” The soldiers were pleased with the

The Future

“It is not what you can do for Love, it is often what Love makes you do, that defines your relationship.” The Padishah Begum had ordered the shift of the harem to Lahore. With the news, the ladies of the harem had started packing in a hurry. They had stopped on their way to Lahore at Jalandhar to celebrate the wedding of Salima Begum to Bairam Khan which continued for a fortnight. The emperor himself was present briefly on the day of the Nikah and as the Kazi read out the Nikah conditions; Rukaiya Begum smiled noticing how the Emperor’s eyes met hers across the hall. She smiled behind the Purdah knowing he too remembered his own wedding, just like she did at every wedding she attended. From Jalandhar where Khan Baba was stationed with his family, the Harem had moved to Lahore while Jalal went back to Mankot with Maham Anga. Lahore was a transformed city since Rukaiya Begum first saw it. She peeped between the curtains of her caravan to watch the crowd of eager onlookers on th

To Protect You

Kunwar Pratap was in court with Rana Udai Singh. The Mughals were conquering a huge part of the north courtesy of Bairam Khan and Mewar on their routes to the ports of Gujarat. " Dajiraj we need to secure the roads leading to Agra and also towards the west. The attack-prone areas should always be under surveillance." " Yes Ranaji. Baojiraj is right." Rawatji agreed.   In the Rani Mahal, everyone was preparing for a grand lunch. Ajabde was making a sweet dish for the princes and princesses and in a hurry, she forgot to add the Kesar and Badam on top. As she served the smaller princes including Kunwar Jagmal, Dheerbai came to inspect her eldest son's food. " What is this? Who made this? Kokoiaji?" She stormed to the kitchen with a bowl of sweet dishes.   " Kunwaranisa did." Came a scary answer, from Veer Bai. " Ajabde Baisa." Her words let out a silent gasp from the lesser queens who stood witness. Calm and composed, Ajabde walked up

Understandings

After counting days, Ajabde was happy that she was going to Bijolia. She knew how eager her mother and Ratan would be to know about her new life. She couldn't wait to hug her mother and feel like... Home. She was selecting gifts for her parents and her siblings as per Ranima's instructions. Then suddenly an idea struck her mind. Her new family welcomed her with so much love and support. Especially Ranima and Majhli Maa Sa. She wanted to give them something. Suddenly she remembered that Ranima had loved her embroidery work on dupattas back in Bijolia so she called a Dasi and ordered some plain Chunris and embroidery threads. She had a lot of work to finish in a day before leaving.   Kunwar Pratap came back into the room to see her on the floor, right in the middle of the room with red, green, yellow, and pink all sorts of dupattas scattered. " What's all this?" He asked not sure if he should be asking. " I am making gifts. For Ranima, Majhli ma, Rani Dheer Bai

My Everything

Kunwar Pratap stormed into the Mahal at Gogunda. Happy faces of the chieftains and soldiers welcomed him as Rao Ramrakh and Rawatji stopped the ongoing Raj tilak. A visibly scared Kunwar Jagmal looked clueless at a visibly angry Kunwar Pratap. Rani Dheerbai Bhattiyani hadn't expected this son of Mewar to show up that too twenty-one days after his father's death. He was not informed as per Dheerbai's instructions. She looked at Rawat Ji. He must have gone to Raoji at Bijolia. No one except them knew where Kunwar Pratap was staying. It was for the safety of his family. " What are you doing Chotima?" A disappointed voice came. She could stoop down so low? " We were about to inform you..." She spoke up in her defence. " When Dheerbai ji?" Maharani Jaivanta Bai, clad in white entered the hall as people bowed before her. " After your son's coronation?" " I did nothing Badima I swear!" A low voice came from Jagmal. " Maha