Skip to main content

Protidaan: Chapter Nine

I wasn’t as close to Baba as I was to Ma, and I can say the same for Ananta as well. Baba was a figure to be feared, his booming voice rang through the corridors and kept the house in a very disciplined order; the moment he stepped into the house was a very strict rule and people rushed about their work and nobody chattered, or ran across the corridors. Even the servants knew how to tiptoe around him and often in the Kajanchi Khana, he would argue with farmers, workers and tenants, while we stayed alarmed in our rooms upstairs. The only time we ever needed to interact with Baba and not keep out of his way was when our results came and he would put on his reading glasses, stare at the paper and back at us, so coldly that a shiver ran down our spines. Ma would often advocate for us, and he would rebuke her for spoiling the children. He was however not so intimidating towards Bibha or Lata. He agreed to keep Lata at home the moment Ma sobbed about the fever that had caught Prabhas, without second thoughts. He had even offered monetary help, which the Chattopadhyays declined. There wasn’t much time between Boro Kaku moving away and his own demise, yet often when Ma urged Lata to bring him his tea, or supper, he would often look up at the intimidated shy girl, with the kindest smile he possibly found and ask her about her health or studies. Lata would be quiet and nod most of the time. He doted on Bibhabati a little more than the rest of us, and hence Bibha always had her way. Unlike us, who were too scared to reach him, let alone ever get a pat or a hug from the man, Bibha often ran to sit on his lap while he read the morning newspapers and complained about the government. 

Thamma had decided to pay for Lata’s tuition fees seeing how bright she was at her age. Baba of course had no voice over his mother’s wishes. But one day as I walked into the Baithak being ‘summoned’ by him, scared that he might have come to know of things he shouldn’t, he had looked up at me and then at Ma who stood beside his high chair serving him tea, and cleared his throat to speak.
“The Chattopadhyay girl…” He looked up at Ma as she whispered her name. “Right, Snehlata. She needs guidance for her studies.” He looked up at me and back at the newspaper. “Rudra is busy with his college studies, and you help Bibha anyway. So I told them she can study with Bibha, and you would help.” It wasn’t a question, it was an order. Lata had recently lost both her parents, and she was quieter than usual even when she went around the house following Ma. I didn’t know how I could help the girl. If anything, her problem wasn’t studies. I just nodded, to see Ma smile happily. She went on to inform Thamma who was pleased that I was helping out in my own way. 

Back in those days, you had siblings, friends and cousins in close units of family. Most of the time we were taught to ride a cycle, fly the kite or even swim by the ones older than us. And it automatically fell on us to pass the lessons on to the younger ones. Dada learnt to fly kites from one of our cousins who visited during festivities, a friend of his from the village taught him to swim; he in turn imparted those to me. He taught me to cycle and when Ananta turned three, he was given his first bicycle, with a balance. The much-excited child wanted to learn but Bibhabati was adamant, she wanted a cycle too. Thamma rolled her eyes and reminded her to not try to do everything her brothers did. 

“If you have cuts and bruises that leave a mark on your face or ruin your facial features nobody will marry you.” Thamma had scolded her. But Bibhabati was stubborn. Despite Ma’s warnings, she ran to Baba, asking him whether she could get a bicycle. She argued that she could go to school on her own and be independent. Baba frowned a little, refused at first but eventually gave in to Bibha’s requests( I would call them nagging). That was when Ma decided to bring in two, instead of one. Lata, who had just got back to her daily routines after her father left, was pleasantly surprised. She looked up at Ma, her eyes sparkling a little as Kakima reminded her to be grateful and she hugged Ma. That left me with the rather impossible task of teaching three children to cycle. Ananta had his balances on, which made it easier, as Baba said his balances should stay till he is older, and he shouldn’t be out on the streets. That left Bibha and Lata’s training to me. Lata was perhaps more scared than Bibhabati. At first, when Bibhabati offered her a salwar kameez, something the non-Bengali women in Calcutta often wore, and Baba bought it for her, Lata was awkward with it. She perhaps felt embarrassed, being used to the saree all the time, especially around me. Then she managed to grasp the attire but was scared to paddle the cycle without balances. Bibha was more determined to prove she could do what Ananta or I could learn quickly. But Lata? She surely hoped that someday I would stop teaching her, and give up. But I was also a determined teacher. Every day, around four in the afternoon they would cycle around our lawn under my watch. 

“I am not ready Deb Da.” Lata almost pleaded as I pretended not to hear her when I detached the balances. She kept murmuring, as I held on to the back of the cycle. 
“Okay, look ahead, don’t look back and you won’t lose balance. I am holding on to it. I promise.” I lied to her and she trusted me with a nod. I held on to the end of her cycle, reassuring her that I was there. Lata started paddling slowly. I commanded her to pick up the pace. When she did, concentrating on the garden path ahead, I subtly let her cycle go and was satisfied that my trick worked. Lata must have felt something for she glanced over her shoulder, in the most horrifying look she possibly ever granted me, and her cycle ran out of the garden path straight into a bush. Ananta laughed, as Bibha rushed to her rescue. Twigs were stuck to her braid as she sat up, rubbing her elbows and the dirt off her borrowed kameez as she stared at me, rather disapprovingly. I smiled, faintly, before Bibha helped her up and brushed her Salwar. 

“Look, you did it.” Bibha made her frown. “You cycled on your own.” The realisation dawning on her innocent face was indeed satisfying to see as she looked at me again, this time, perhaps a little less disappointed.
The next day, she had come with the cycle without the balance as Ananta cycled on the lawn and Bibha had gone to the temple with Thamma. I stared at the cycle and back at her, before pulling the cycle onto the garden path.
“Everyone lies to me.” She said almost in a complaining tone. I frowned a little as I sat down to check the chain of the pedals, and absent-mindedly asked what she meant.
“Ma promised me she won’t leave, Baba promised to be there. You promised to hold on, Deb Da!” I looked up at her innocent face, fighting back tears as she took the handles of the cycle and chose to look away from me. A sudden guilt hit me that day. I had unknowingly hurt where she was wounded the most. I didn’t know how to make things right. There was a sudden empty feeling in the pit of my stomach. I was anything but insensitive or unkind, Ma was always proud of that. I let both her and Lata down perhaps. I feared the repercussions if she complained to Ma. But surprisingly, Lata never mentioned it to anyone, not even her beloved Didi who claimed she shared everything. 

I had gone to the Rather Mela the next day with Dada and Baba. Being the Zamindar family meant we didn’t roam about freely in the mela like the villagers. We were invited to inaugurate it every year. I came back home to find Lata and Bibha's being helped by Ananta in the inner courtyard to set up the rath for our Jagannath idol.  I had heard stories of how during Dadu’s childhood the Rath that is now beside the Natmandir of the village actually belonged to the house and it would be taken around the village in a great procession. Now, Ananta and Bibha would drag the smaller version around the neighbourhood with their friends and Lata would tag along with Ma, to the threshold with the conch shells and bells. 

Lata was making garlands as Bibha put them up. Eyeing my arrival, Bibha rushed to inform Thamma who had the tradition of Horir Lut of Batasha and Kodma on an auspicious day at our Thakur Dalan. We always fought over who got the most Batasha or Kodma, and Ananta who usually lost, ended up winning because Lata would give up her collection to please him. Ananta ran after her, excited the same. Lata didn’t look up. She sat fixed to her spot making garlands as I knelt down to see the Rath being decorated.“Sorry.” I had probably murmured the words for the first time in my life. Zamindars never apologise, my Baba often said. My male ego never made me apologise in my life. Lata’s hand stopped at the garland as she looked up at me with a confused stare. “Bhul hoye geche kal.” I shook my head, acknowledging my mistake as she stood up abruptly and left on the pretext of finding Bibha. 

Never again, in my life, did I promise her something and not follow through. I had learnt my lesson and was in a way very intimidated by how blindly she trusted each word I said. Nobody in my family, or even in my life, ever gave my words the weight of so much importance. That day probably I felt more responsible for my actions and words toward her.

The first time she came over, with her books and boxes to study, in a printed frock she had again inherited from Bibhabati, her hair done into two braids tied with blue ribbons, I noticed that Lata was a sincere learner. She was too shy to ask questions when she had doubts, so I had to keep an eye on her mistakes very diligently but once I explained something she would understand and practice till she got a grasp of it, unlike Bibha, most of whose study time involved staring at the clock hoping it ticked faster. I had to remove that clock from the study room with Baba’s permission later. Yet, Bibha never got a scolding. Thamma would often in the afternoons call Lata to her room, and make her cut her betel nuts; Ma taught her fabric work on handkerchiefs or embroideries. Thamma would also share the stories of her own childhood, something none of us ever heard from her. She would scold Lata if she made mistakes and in the next moment offer her a Naru or Moa from the jars she kept under her bed. If one got a Naru or Moa from Thamma, they were definitely her favourite. She used to make those in the kitchen herself and often kept the jars under her own bed. She didn’t eat those, nor offer us, but kept them safe for when anyone would visit her. 

One day while I was studying for my school finals, determined to score enough to get into a good college to make my parents proud, unaware that I would lose them soon, Lata tiptoed into my room. I didn’t look up because she would often walk in to keep things or take them to Ma. Ma was in her first trimester then, and she was advised not to move around much. I didn’t understand much of the complications though. Baba had brought a doctor from Calcutta to check on her much to Thamma’s detest. She still relied a lot on Kabiraj's Ayurveda.  But Ma being on bed rest meant Lata would spend more time around the house, cleaning our rooms, and taking care of Ananta and even Thamma when she was barely nine. She would taste all the food before they were served so that Ma only ate healthily and Baba never complained. Ma would often laugh, doting on her ways, saying she had absolutely no doubt that wherever Lata went she would make the house a home. Thamma would agree, and Lata would smile, unaware of what they meant. But somehow all I could see was a parentless child doing things she wasn’t supposed to do. Lata had hovered around my room for a while, fixing things, and straightening curtains, enough to make me realise she had no work there. So I half turned on my chair with a frown as she disturbed my concentration to ask, “What do you want?”

It startled her a bit as she looked up at my face trying to figure out whether she had upset me. She then slowly walked up to my desk and held out a piece of cloth. I took it from her hand and opened it to see it was a tablecloth, fabric coloured with little roses around the corner. I looked up at her with questioning eyes.
“Jethaima taught me this, so I made Ananta and Didi handkerchiefs. I thought…” She eyed my study table “This will be good for…” I had to smile, for she had actually thought of getting me the only thing missing from my otherwise equipped room. I looked at the not-so-perfectly drawn flowers around the edges and smiled. She waited for my verdict so I lied, it was the best fabric I have ever seen. Lata’s smile reached her eyes as she was satisfied with the compliment. I went back to my authoritative mode and added that all these hobbies shouldn’t hamper her studies. I wanted her homework on my desk by evening. And with that, she ran off in a hurry to do the needful, as I removed the books from the table and laid down the tablecloth properly before putting them back on it. 

When Lata came by in the evening with her work and doubts she eyed the tablecloth with a smile, which I duly ignored as I continued to check the copies. 
“Deb Da you know a lot, right?” She asked as I nodded my head without looking up from her copy.
“Thamma said Daima can tell if Jethaima will have a boy or girl.” I looked up at her words with a frown. She seemed to be thinking aloud. “Didi asked how it was possible and she got scolded for questioning Thamma. She also asked where children come from and…”
I was suddenly awkward looking at the innocent rant of the nine-year-old. She somehow felt like she could confide in me.
“Enough with the chit-chat.” I scolded as she frowned “You have your attention everywhere, except where it should be.” I pointed at the book in my hand. “Such things are not for your age.”

Years later, I had seen one of the books we were ‘prohibited’ from reading go missing from the library. I had frowned as to who could take that up, and one day as I walked in, to my utter horror, I had found Lata placing it back. When asked, she fumbled that Didi had taken the book up and she assumed Bibha had finished reading so she wanted to put it back. I reminded her not to read adult books, at least till she was seventeen. She nodded, agreeing to it, but I was sure that if Bibha knew things, she would definitely feed Lata’s mind with what she had gathered. A part of me was scared of them growing up fast, and another part of me was concerned about half of the knowledge they would gather from it. But back then, I wasn’t in a position to tell my little sister to confide in me with her questions. It was way too awkward. I didn’t know that my concerns were however justified until much later.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

His Wife

" Where is the Kesar, Rama? And the Kalash?" Ajabde looked visibly displeased at the daasi who ran. " They are at the fort gates and nothing is ready yet!" She exclaimed. She was clad in a red Jora and the jewellery she had inherited as the first Kunwarani of the crown prince. Little Amar ran down the hallway towards his mother. " Maa sa Maa sa... who is coming with Daajiraj?" His innocent question made her heart sink. " Bhanwar Ji." Sajja Bai called out to him. " Come here I will tell you." Amar rushed to his Majhli Dadisa. " Ajabde." She turned at Jaivanta Bai's call. "They are here." " M... My Aarti thali..." Ajabde looked lost like never before. Jaivanta Bai held her stone-cold hands, making her stop. She patted her head and gave her a hug. The hug gave her the comfort she was looking for as her racing heart calmed down. Jaivanta Bai left her alone with her thaal. " Maa sa!" Amar exclaimed

My Everything

Kunwar Pratap stormed into the Mahal at Gogunda. Happy faces of the chieftains and soldiers welcomed him as Rao Ramrakh and Rawatji stopped the ongoing Raj tilak. A visibly scared Kunwar Jagmal looked clueless at a visibly angry Kunwar Pratap. Rani Dheerbai Bhattiyani hadn't expected this son of Mewar to show up that too twenty-one days after his father's death. He was not informed as per Dheerbai's instructions. She looked at Rawat Ji. He must have gone to Raoji at Bijolia. No one except them knew where Kunwar Pratap was staying. It was for the safety of his family. " What are you doing Chotima?" A disappointed voice came. She could stoop down so low? " We were about to inform you..." She spoke up in her defence. " When Dheerbai ji?" Maharani Jaivanta Bai, clad in white entered the hall as people bowed before her. " After your son's coronation?" " I did nothing Badima I swear!" A low voice came from Jagmal. " Maha

To Protect You

Kunwar Pratap was in court with Rana Udai Singh. The Mughals were conquering a huge part of the north courtesy of Bairam Khan and Mewar on their routes to the ports of Gujarat. " Dajiraj we need to secure the roads leading to Agra and also towards the west. The attack-prone areas should always be under surveillance." " Yes Ranaji. Baojiraj is right." Rawatji agreed.   In the Rani Mahal, everyone was preparing for a grand lunch. Ajabde was making a sweet dish for the princes and princesses and in a hurry, she forgot to add the Kesar and Badam on top. As she served the smaller princes including Kunwar Jagmal, Dheerbai came to inspect her eldest son's food. " What is this? Who made this? Kokoiaji?" She stormed to the kitchen with a bowl of sweet dishes.   " Kunwaranisa did." Came a scary answer, from Veer Bai. " Ajabde Baisa." Her words let out a silent gasp from the lesser queens who stood witness. Calm and composed, Ajabde walked up

Towards You

Kunwar Pratap and Ajabde were friends. He didn't feel awkward sharing his plans and thoughts with her anymore. She was more than happy to advise him on everything. She was happy he listened to her advice before taking or discarding them, be it on what to wear to Padmavati's Sagai or how to befriend the revolting Bhils. He loved the way Ajabde always used metaphors from Puranas and Ramayanas to explain the toughest things so easily. She expressed herself so well, so easily that it amazed him.   The Afghans were now led by Mehmood Shah. They have made secret territories in the forests and waited to attack. Rawatji and his spies had confirmed the news and Udai Singh had warned Mehmood Shah to withdraw his troops from Mewar in vain. Now, it was time they declared war. Mehmood Shah had limited resources in Mewar. And his spies clearly suggested that in no way could he win, especially with Kunwar Pratap leading his troops. He was having second thoughts about the war. One of his aides

Chapter Two: Catastrophe

Abhaya was suffocating as she could now taste the soot and ash in her mouth. She could see the smoke engulf her. The boxes around her turned into shadows in the blurred vision. She opened her mouth to breathe but the choking air wanted to make her cough. She ran, stumbling upon some boxes and utensils towards the window on the other side. It was shut firmly and her weak hands could do little to move it an inch. She placed the end of her saree over her face and coughed, hoping not to be heard from the outside. The sound of chaos and footsteps outside was increasing. She heard a scream. Was it her mother? Her sister? Or one of the sisters-in-law? Were they escaping? Should she try too? She tried to find something to break the window with, but instead, she froze at the sight of flames entering through the cracks of the door she had shut behind her. Abhaya said a soft prayer. This is how it ends. This was not the country her father served. This was not the country her mother read stories o

Love?

“I swear I can kill that Sakhaveer.” Balwant swung his sword at the Dangal as Ratan and Ajabde looked on. Ajabde hid a smile as Ratan looked amused. “Like you did last time?” Ratan’s chuckle made Ajabde press her hands with a soft no as Balwant stopped his sword and looked angry. “What do you know Ratan?” He roared angrily. “What do girls know anyways about fighting??” “Jija can fight better than you.” Ratan looked angry and defensive. “Ratan! Leave it.” Ajabde insisted. “No!! Jija, I saw you, you are better…” “Then let’s have a duel Jija.” Balwant insisted. “No.” Ajabde looked surprised and shaken. “It’s been such a long time since I have …” “No excuses Jija, teach him! That girls can be…” Ratan insisted as Balwant handed her a sword she took rather reluctantly. She tied the corners of her dupatta together and her braid in a bun. Kunwar Pratap was making his way out at the Dangal when he heard swords clash. He gathered the father-son duo would be at the Dangal

Love Struck

A new dawn was about to break in Mewar. Kunwar Pratap shifted in his bed, as the lamp shone in the darkness. He was now facing her sleeping figure. Her hand rested on the pillow between them, the pillow he chose to keep there in the first place but now it seemed like the symbol of the distance he wanted to bridge between their hearts. He stared at it lost in thoughts. I promised myself to make you mine, But how? What if you... He stared at the sleeping figure admitting in silence that no one, even the bravest enemy scared him like her calm composed self did. I am thinking like a typical husband. He smiled. What to do now Ajabde? I am terrible with my words unlike you. Pratap Singh! You need to learn a few things! He looked back at the ceiling in his thoughts. What if I drop hints? She knows me so well, maybe she will understand without me actually speaking for myself. The thoughts made his face light up. Yes, Yes that will be perfect. Let's try this. But... First thing first... so

Chapter Three: Pedigree

  The Imperial Police work was a tough job. The family had no idea what Superintendent Animesh Kumar Mukhopadhyay went through to provide for his family and their luxurious lives. Abhaya’s father never failed to let his family know that. Every time he drank down his sins. Every time he came home drunk. Every time he beat his wife. Abhaya would often sit awake all night, her pillow pressed against her ears as she sobbed silently, hoping that her mother’s begging sobs and father’s lewd language would stop. One day she had opened the door of her room slightly and was about to step out when her sister-in-law intervened. Her face was dark as she coldly told Abhaya to return to her room. She would be punished if her elder brothers found out about her trying to get out of her chambers at night. Abhaya at twelve knew one truth greater than others. Men were like this, women had to tiptoe around them to serve them as they demanded.  She was intimidated by the regular chores the women of the hous

Understandings

After counting days, Ajabde was happy that she was going to Bijolia. She knew how eager her mother and Ratan would be to know about her new life. She couldn't wait to hug her mother and feel like... Home. She was selecting gifts for her parents and her siblings as per Ranima's instructions. Then suddenly an idea struck her mind. Her new family welcomed her with so much love and support. Especially Ranima and Majhli Maa Sa. She wanted to give them something. Suddenly she remembered that Ranima had loved her embroidery work on dupattas back in Bijolia so she called a Dasi and ordered some plain Chunris and embroidery threads. She had a lot of work to finish in a day before leaving.   Kunwar Pratap came back into the room to see her on the floor, right in the middle of the room with red, green, yellow, and pink all sorts of dupattas scattered. " What's all this?" He asked not sure if he should be asking. " I am making gifts. For Ranima, Majhli ma, Rani Dheer Bai

Changing Thoughts

" Ajabde." Jaivanta Bai hugged her as Kunwar Pratap unknowingly smiled at the duo. He didn't realise he was not feeling jealous of Ranima's affection for her anymore. " It's so good that you are back." Sajja smiled. " Now you will help us with the Teej preparations." Ajabde smiled nodding as Kunwar Pratap said " I will go to the arena, I will be there after... I mean....at Lunch." He left in haste as Jaivanta Bai stared at Ajabde who had a little pink blush on her cheeks. Jaivanta Bai smiled as she was not sure if Pratap said that to her or his wife.   All through the day, Ajabde helped by going through the smallest details of the Teej Preparations until lunchtime. All the Ranis were impressed by how she knew everything so easily. She walked into her room post lunch and gasped at the scene. The maps, the books, and his things were all scattered where they were not meant to be. The Daasis were apparently too scared to touch his import