Skip to main content

She



“Maine kaha tha na, hum aj yahan mile kaha hai, hum toh ek dusre mein hi thee, hamesha.”

When I was writing the last historical, I was in two minds about this one. Why? Because this story is perhaps the closest to my heart, and I wasn’t sure if I am ready to put it into words. I believe everyone has a story to tell. There is that one story that stays in your heart, and imagination and comes out in different forms through many more. The one story you believe in. That one story you connect with the most, in the most unexplainable ways. It may not be true or entirely false. This was that story for me since 9th grade. That one story I always wanted to tell. Only I knew its beginning and end, not the characters or their journey. I kept waiting to meet the right characters. Make their journey happen, find their place. I kept meeting people and going places looking for them. And the story.
Today I stand at a point in time where love and relationship the way I see them is often questioned. People rarely believe in the truest form of the word Love anymore. I stand where my kind of love is nearly extinct and I choose this exact time to tell you this story. Because, I believe in love, beyond people and relationships. And I want you to see what I believe in as well.

For now, I feel I am ready to meet my characters and make this journey. It is perhaps the most-heard love story in the entire universe. Told and retold again. Lived before us, and after us. Characters change. Places change. Languages change. Circumstances change. But this love story remains exactly the way it is. Yesterday. Today and tomorrow. You will perhaps find parts of it unconventional as far as my storytelling goes. You may not even like it. But this is the most special story I could ever do. My story. The story of my kind of Love. The kind of Love that changes the world. And I will embrace the journey till it lasts. And I hope in the end you do too.

Here’s a story I want to dedicate “To someone somewhere, who can look into my eyes as an endless universe of mystery and possibilities, exactly the way I will look into his.” 
Happy Valentine’s Day to you all, your loved ones and of course, Princy!

She


‘O Susana O don’t you cry for me, I come from Alabama with my banjo on my knee.”

The music played on as a crowd of children, about the same age, flocked to the marble dance floor. In a white dancing frock, teamed with a bow on her wavy hair, a child, about three, yawned at the crowd of guests in the hall room of her mansion. She did not like dressing up for such parties. Except on her birthdays when all the attention was on her. Today, her little sister was being introduced, flooded with gifts, and being doted on by everyone and nobody noticed her sneak out of the place quietly and run to the empty back lawn. Soaking in the sunshine, she did not care much about her laces getting dirty as she sat down on the green grass stretching out her white ballerina shoes, swaying her feet in perfect rhythm to the sound of “O Susana” playing in the hall. Then she noticed him. He was hiding behind the bush, his eyes on the stranger. Frowning she asked, “Who is there?”
The boy made a dash for the stables. She gathered her dress up and quickly followed. He had stopped upon a stack of hay, sitting in a posture fitted for a king. He was wearing a very old-looking red shirt over a pair of black trousers.

“Why did you run?” She asked frowning at him.
“My wish.” He had shrugged at her carelessly making a face that he was not interested.
“But... I am not scary.” She snapped.
“I know. I don’t like talking to strangers.” He did not move an inch from his place.
He looked older than her, perhaps by a year or two. A little taller than she was.
“Then what are you doing here?” She frowned.
“My father works here. All these horses” He waved his left hand like a display “Are my friends.”
“That is so cool.” Her eyes suddenly lit up.”I have a horsy too. Daddy got it for me on my birthday!”
“Oh Really?” He smiled “Where is he?”
“Stable No.9” She had run towards it as he ran after her.

Proudly displaying her new horse she grinned from ear to ear. Her grin faded in his laughter soon.
“What’s so funny?” She asked.
“This is not a horse! This is a Mule!” He held his stomach for a laugh as she fumed red in anger.
“No, it is not!” Her firm words made him stop and stare as she narrowed her eyes and said “He is a small horse. Daddy said he will grow up with me and we can be best friends.”
“Ohkay! But do you know how to ride?” He smirked.
“No” She shook her head. “Daddy said I am too small. And when I will grow up I will learn...”
“I know how to.” Her eyes twinkled at his words as he flashed a proud smile “My Daata taught me.”
“Can you teach me too?” She smiled.
“Here? ...” He sulked looking around the area.
“No! I know a place where no one will find us.” She smiled “We can ride him ...and play!”
“I will ride him, you can sit in front and direct where to go, and then when you are comfortable enough with him you can ride too.” He said like he knew all about horse riding, but the truth was that this boy, barely five managed to ride all by himself only under his father’s invigilation. But he was confident that he could.
“Yes, there is a meadow just outside the old temple. I sometimes go there to play in the afternoons when no one is watching.”
“You do?” He asked surprised mounting the pony with ease. It neighed.
“When a horse neighs like he is agitated, hold the reign.” He showed her. “Like this.”
He patted its soft white skin and frowned at a chain on his neck.
“What’s this?” He asked, “You chained him?”
“No! This is a token of our friendship. See I have the same one too!” She showed him her locket. “Now help me up.”
His soft little palms firmly held her softer ones and he pulled her up, in front of him. Then they rode away from the stable.

“I am sure this means something.” The psychiatrist was holding a very old and torn drawing book, which belonged to a child, in his hand, narrowing his brows, in waves towards his nose at these firm words. He then put it down, carefully removing his glasses and stared at the distraught figure sitting in front of him. “Are you sure you remember nothing?”
“I am.” Her voice was firm and urgent. “I found this in a box a week back when my grandfather passed away and I was throwing away stuff from the attic. It just grabbed my attention. I am telling you Doc,” She had banged her fist on the table in a reflex, in a rather ungraceful manner, “How can I draw the exact same thing again and again? It haunts me.”
“You see. Judging from these drawings...” He narrowed his eyes again “...the sense of lines and colours tell me you were around two or three barely and even if that is the case...” He had tried to bring out his voice of reason but her stare stopped him, “...I mean this can just be your imagination. Sometimes children tend to draw a particular drawing because they like it or it is easy or someone appreciated it.”
“But...” she sighed “I don’t know.” She stared at the copy and back at him “It all looks so real.”
“Tell me.” He had studied her face carefully. “Why does this bother you?”
She was a woman in her early twenties, her skin radiant and glowing, her black semi-curled locks, coloured with a highlight of brownish blonde, her doe eyes complimented with a hint of Kajal, and her brownish black eyeballs were restless. Her pedicure nails were well done in beige, he was also sure that her outfit was chosen by someone else as well. Who else wore a grey polo dress to a psychiatrist appointment?

“Isn’t this place wonderful?” She twirled making him smile as he tied the pony to a tree. “Come let me show you my secret hiding place.” She pulled his shirt and he frowned “If it is secret then why are you telling me?”
“Because we are friends now!” She smiled.
“We are?” He smiled back. She dragged him by his hand to the bushes nearby and found a gap between two bushes. A little walk from there led to an old banyan tree, its trunk covered with red threads.
“Maasa says this tree is a thousand years old.” She smiled. “And these threads are of promises.”
“Promises?” He narrowed his eyes.
“Yes at weddings.” She said matter of factly. “Hush. Listen. See that branch. It has my birdy friend. She is singing!”
“What is a wedding?” He asked trying to spot the bird in vain.
“I don’t know.” She shrugged. “Oh wait, my Maasi just had one. I remember some of it.”
“What is it?” He asked.
“Well, if I tell you what will I get in return?” Her words made him think hard. He had nothing to give her.
“I don’t know. Umm... I can make you a swing on that branch. Will that do?”
“Really? Can You?” She smiled clapping her hands in excitement.
“Yes, I will take a day though.” He figured that there was some ply he had seen lying around the stable that he could use.
“Fine. You do that, I will meet you here the day after tomorrow in the afternoon. And I will tell you about weddings. And we can play!” She smiled.
“Okay. Let us go back now, my father can look for me, I will land up in trouble for you.” He looked restless as she giggled “Oh you are so scared!”
“No, I am not!” He shook his head.
“Yes, you are!” She giggled and it annoyed him.

“I mean we all have such imagination as children... and you could just be overthinking.” The Psychiatrist tried to reason.
 “I... don’t know.” He studied her hands, rubbing against each other like she was feeling cold.  “But ...it feels like it has been true in the past...And since I remember nothing...” Her eyes followed his gaze to the drawings. The torn-out drawing book had several drawings of a rough outline and pastel colour filled abruptly in a hurry on what looked like a white horse and a boy, standing on a meadow, all green.
“Perhaps you saw a white horse back home?” He insisted “Maybe you should talk to your parents about it?”
“No.” Her answer was firm. “I don’t wish to involve my parents.”
“As you wish, but if I were you, I would go back to Surajgarh once at least.” She had stared at the man by this name. He obviously knew who she was. There was only one Ajabdeh Punwar in Udaipur’s high society circle. She was the Princess of Surajgarh.
“Thank you, Doc.” She had gathered the torn-out drawings carefully putting them back in her expensive designer leather satchel and left, her heels making a piece of perfect music on the marble floor of the office.



READ ALL CHAPTERS HERE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soul Meet: Coincidental Encounter

This post is a part of the series "Soul Meet" so if you have not read previous posts kindly read it here. I love taking sunset pictures. It had been a hobby since I started travelling solo across the country. I live alone and spend my weekends on road trips to beaches and mountains. I click pictures I never post and often find a budget stay and experience local cuisines. It has been five years since I left college and changed two jobs. The only part of the week I look forward to is Friday when I log out of work and pack my bags to leave for an undecided location. This weekend I ended up on the beaches of Kovalam. The sea here has shallow waves and the shacks around the beach along with the little shops are all crowded. I stray from the usual crowd of tourists, climb some rocks on the beach near the lighthouse and then find a spot secluded from the touristy affairs. I zoomed my camera to glimpse the secluded beach a little further down the road. And I spot someone there. A wom

Soul Meet: Anticipated Encounter

  This post is a part of the series "Soul Meet" so if you have not read previous posts kindly read it  here. Ajabdeh submitted her paper and shut her laptop down for the weekend. Her home desk had pictures on the walls. Pictures he had clicked of her on every trip they took together. Across the country. Sometimes planned, sometimes unplanned. Long distance was tough, but in between the struggle of constantly being active on their phones to keep in touch with calls, texts, emails and video calls there was a sense of individuality, identity and liberty in it that she enjoyed. Now and then they would meet at a spot in between somewhere and go on trips. Hike to mountains, laze at beaches and try adventure sports. Everything she experienced in the past year was ticked off her bucket list. Each memory now sat glued to her desk wall, in pictures he clicked. He was a good photographer and she: his muse. She was surprised when he called the previous day saying he would be coming to se

His Wife

" Where is the Kesar, Rama? And the Kalash?" Ajabde looked visibly displeased at the daasi who ran. " They are at the fort gates and nothing is ready yet!" She exclaimed. She was clad in a red Jora and the jewellery she had inherited as the first Kunwarani of the crown prince. Little Amar ran down the hallway towards his mother. " Maa sa Maa sa... who is coming with Daajiraj?" His innocent question made her heart sink. " Bhanwar Ji." Sajja Bai called out to him. " Come here I will tell you." Amar rushed to his Majhli Dadisa. " Ajabde." She turned at Jaivanta Bai's call. "They are here." " M... My Aarti thali..." Ajabde looked lost like never before. Jaivanta Bai held her stone-cold hands, making her stop. She patted her head and gave her a hug. The hug gave her the comfort she was looking for as her racing heart calmed down. Jaivanta Bai left her alone with her thaal. " Maa sa!" Amar exclaimed

Soul Meet: Accidental Encounter

Running down the corridor at DU I bumped into this girl who fell over. My friends laughed as I apologized giving her a hand while she adjusted her glasses. Then she swept her hair from her face and our eyes met. It’s been four years. I was thinner and she was perhaps a bit plump. Those glasses were missing too. But that face was unforgettable. “Pratap?” “Ajabdeh?” We spoke in unison as our friends smiled confusedly. “You two know each other?” One guy asked a little amused. “Yes. She...” I nodded. “We...” She looked at me and paused. “were friends?” her friend asked. Were we? I didn’t know. Yet the only day I spent with her was the most memorable day I had in her city. “You are here for any courses?” I asked her. She shook her head. “The inter-college debate competition.” She smiled. “I am studying in Chandigarh.” “Oh, I see.” We started walking down the corridor, followed by our groups of friends. “So, I guess I have to go now, the debate is in an hour.” She smi

Destiny

The war was almost won.  A few of Marwar’s soldiers were left on the field along with Rao Maldeo Singh Rathore, their king and leader.  He was thinking of retreating at the end of this day. As his sword clashed with one of the opponent generals as he eyed the opponent King now open and prone to attack. A little hope flickered in his mind as his eyes instructed his closest aide.  The opponent was quite in a winning situation thanks to their new Senapati. He was just 16 yet his bravery and valour reflected his blood and upbringing. He mesmerised the opponents and even Rao Maldeo with his clever war strategies and sword skills. As Maldeo’s aide swung his sword at a taken aback Udai Singh, someone’s sword defended it as his body acted like a shield for the king. He killed the man in one go. “ Ranaji are you okay?” “ Haan Raoji.” He nodded gratefully.  By half the day, the Marwar army had retreated as the air filled with “ Jai Mewar! Jai Eklingji!” From the triumphant soldiers. Rana Udai Si

A Heart at War

Legend has it that Pratap had to struggle for his father Rana Udai Singh's approval on his wedding with the daughter of Bijoliya's chieftain's daughter, Ajbante Kanwar Punwar. It is so because he was the crown prince and his first queen was supposed to be the next queen of Mewar. Hence his father expected his first bride to be a powerful princess who would aid his political needs. But stubborn as he always was, Kunwar Pratap had other plans. The water of the Bhimlat was still. The sound of the waterfall could be heard in the silent afternoon in the dense forest. A pebble caused ripples in the water and alerted the horse gazing nearby. He looked up at the source of the stone. Then began grazing peacefully once again. The source of the stone however was far from being peaceful. His face wore a frown as he stared around restlessly for the umpteenth time. He sat unmindful on the large rock on the bank of the water body watching the ripples closely, lost in thoughts. The soun

Blank Space

Ajabdeh walked into the banquet hall of the star hotel feeling a little conscious. She had spent almost two months savings for this wedding of her childhood friend and neighbour Asha and yet she looked clearly out of place in the circle. She adjusted the gown a little, clutched her purse for dear life and forced a smile as a familiar face approached her and asked about her father’s absence. Ever since she remembered coming to these events to keep up an appearance he had refrained from the pretension, making her an expert at making excuses for him. Sometimes Ajabdeh felt uneasy at how her father had blended into the downcasted life, befriending the judgy neighbours and even having an occasional chat with the milkman or watchman. She could not picturise him doing that had they been of wealth. The little she saw of her grandparents she remembered they kept an aura of elegance around them that was oddly missing in her father and his lifestyle. Had they been… Ajabdeh inhaled, preparing hers

Soul Meet : Incidental encounter

The first time I saw him was on the bus I took once every week. I was in the nineth standard and took extra classes for Maths because finding X was really a lot of problems. And on my first day of class, I managed to catch the 4.55PM bus. The only empty seat was beside this boy whose uniform was unfamiliar to me. What grabbed my immediate attention was the book he was reading; “Doctors” by Eric Segal. It was my favourite. He noticed me staring at the book cover absent-minded once or twice while I pretended to look away and he cleared his throat and resumed reading. For the whole thirty minutes of the journey, I was gathering the courage to ask him his favourite part but failed at it. I cursed myself for being the introvert that I am, grabbed my bag and walked to the door. Turning back one last time, I could see he was engrossed in reading. Every time I boarded that bus he seemed to be in the same seat, in the same school uniform, either listening to music on his headphones or readi

She Left...

The war was over and so were the hopes of regaining Chittor. The Battle at Haldighati had robbed the Rana of all his wealth, and brave men, and bruised him for life. Trying to match up to Akbar or rather Raja Man Singh's army with one-third its strength had cost his bravery dearly. He had lost his friend and companion. He had brushed past death. The only good thing that this war ensured was that Akbar accepted that he cannot have Mewar. His army retreated and left the country in peace after almost two decades and seventeen wars. This war gave something else too. Kunwar Shakti came to help his brother in his time of need. He lived up to his brother's expectations of being loyal to his family. A heavy-hearted Rana Pratap Singh was overseeing the construction work on his lost friend's memorial right where he died, trying to save his master. The Bronze statue of the life-like Chetak stood tall but was no match for the void Chetak has left behind. He was lost in his thoughts as

My Everything

Kunwar Pratap stormed into the Mahal at Gogunda. Happy faces of the chieftains and soldiers welcomed him as Rao Ramrakh and Rawatji stopped the ongoing Raj tilak. A visibly scared Kunwar Jagmal looked clueless at a visibly angry Kunwar Pratap. Rani Dheerbai Bhattiyani hadn't expected this son of Mewar to show up that too twenty-one days after his father's death. He was not informed as per Dheerbai's instructions. She looked at Rawat Ji. He must have gone to Raoji at Bijolia. No one except them knew where Kunwar Pratap was staying. It was for the safety of his family. " What are you doing Chotima?" A disappointed voice came. She could stoop down so low? " We were about to inform you..." She spoke up in her defence. " When Dheerbai ji?" Maharani Jaivanta Bai, clad in white entered the hall as people bowed before her. " After your son's coronation?" " I did nothing Badima I swear!" A low voice came from Jagmal. " Maha